4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Grimal
August 26, 2014, 11:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +2,850
Gold Stars: 8
Keep the same starting eleven,don't change a winning team unless forced by injuries or suspensions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 37
August 27, 2014, 12:07am
Guest User
Even from a squad rotation point of view, there's no visible need for changes at all, especially with 5 days rest !

However as always, Hurst is eyes and ears on the training pitch and may see something he feels is right.
Very much doubt it here but you never know... (e.g. picking specific players to help beat the opposition may be a worthy reason IMO)

Suppose it might be worth considering how players not involved like Disley are ideally gonna reach match fitness as they may not be getting any games under their belt if the team keeps winning. (a lovely problem to have !)

Personally I was a little suprised he didn't introduce a few subs a little earlier on Saturday but not gonna quibble too much here.
Reply: 21 - 37
August 27, 2014, 12:46am
Guest User
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
That said, I look forward to 80's advocating 9 changes and a brand new, never before seen formation  

Well take the mick all you like but tbh, guess most fans who criticize haven't really got a clue what the pros, cons or issues are at all !

For example the old chestnut...
"Never change a winning team"

Well ok fine, it may well be the right thing to do (especially for us now with starters fresh and performing great)

But generally speaking, there's 1 major flaw to the theory...
What it's really saying is "wait til you lose and it's been proven wrong, THEN change it".
i.e. re-active, not pro-active.

For example, you play a match, win but player X has a nightmare do you say:
"Oh well he was utter sh1te, but we won, so let's keep him in ?"

Of course you don't !  
In fact even if there's no damage done at all, a good manager may spot some weakness he wants to prevent BEFORE it even happens.

Sorry, this is football management involving performances, fitness, long term factors and tough decisions.
"One size fits all" solutions don't work otherwise every manager would be using them but no-one does.
Reply: 22 - 37
ginnywings
August 27, 2014, 7:26am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from 120797

Well take the mick all you like but tbh, guess most fans who criticize haven't really got a clue what the pros, cons or issues are at all !

For example the old chestnut...
"Never change a winning team"

Well ok fine, it may well be the right thing to do (especially for us now with starters fresh and performing great)

But generally speaking, there's 1 major flaw to the theory...
What it's really saying is "wait til you lose and it's been proven wrong, THEN change it".
i.e. re-active, not pro-active.

For example, you play a match, win but player X has a nightmare do you say:
"Oh well he was utter sh1te, but we won, so let's keep him in ?"

Of course you don't !  
In fact even if there's no damage done at all, a good manager may spot some weakness he wants to prevent BEFORE it even happens.

Sorry, this is football management involving performances, fitness, long term factors and tough decisions.
"One size fits all" solutions don't work otherwise every manager would be using them but no-one does.

That's a very patronising statement.

Good job you're here to tell us what to think.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 37
Meza
August 27, 2014, 8:16am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,633
Gold Stars: 50
There is other factors though 80's.  Anyone who's played footy whether its sunday league will probably agree that the players have earnt their place in the team at the minute and just making changes for change sake could disrupt the team.  You could also take away the incentive for playing for a shirt and you can't keep everyone happy I guess.  Take last season chopping and changing players resulted in misjointed performances.  There were some players that did well when coming on better than the ones starting but dropped the next week.  Its difficult to try and keep everyone happy but they need to be patient and when they get the chance they must take it.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 37
Southernboy
August 27, 2014, 9:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
Pick the team that's playing how you want and winning. We have players on the bench that can come on and change things around but we should play to our strengths which, based on last 2 games and comments (as I haven't seen any games this season except the Gas on TV), suggest playing at pace and pressing up is the way to go
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 37
Mariner Ronnie
August 27, 2014, 1:09pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.81
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
No changes, experiences over the last two seasons (fa trophy) has taught us that chopping and changing the team does no good :/

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 37
grimsby pete
August 27, 2014, 4:01pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
If a player gets dropped after playing in the last two games that produced a 6-1 and 7-0 wins,

He will be a bit pi ssed off,

Says a player who once got dropped after scoring 4 goals in the previous match.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 37
August 27, 2014, 9:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
That's a very patronising statement.

Poster took the mick, I gave some back.

Sure I could quite easily argue Hurst's critics are patronising him claiming they know better than him if I really wanted to.
But obviously I won't, it's a spurious silly argument, we've all got our opinions.
Just saying we're not necessarily always right in them ether.
Even if you were correct about Gary Mills !
Fair play though, we're passing the ball well now.
Reply: 28 - 37
August 27, 2014, 9:05pm
Guest User
Quoted from Meza
Anyone who's played footy whether its sunday league will probably agree that the players have earnt their place in the team at the minute and just making changes for change sake could disrupt the team.

Never really claimed otherwise !

All I'll say is just cos you might have assumed changes meant "changes for change sake", doesn't necessarily mean it's true at all.

Was Hurst really thinking:  
"Well us team is working great now and see no need to change at all. But I just fancy us shuffling it all around a bit !" ?!??!

Can't really see this can you ?

Not saying all changes make sense at the time, always good reasons for them though.
Some like e.g. Winfarrah confused me a bit too - team has done ok since though !
If 1 or 2 examples in 3 years or so is most I can question, very confident he know what he's doing.
Ironic, have always believed team selection (and bringing talent to the club) was one of his greatest strengths !

Quoted from Meza
Take last season chopping and changing players resulted in misjointed performances.

Well it's all about opinions but I don't really see it that way at all.

Did misjointed performances lead to the chopping and changing instead ?
Can't really remember but mostly if you lose (or draw), some changes are normally made.

Without knowing which performances you mean, remember changes was forced on us to a degree anyway through the fixture backlog.
That's not me backing down on SR though, think it can often be a very good thing (especially long term)

Perhaps we should also remember too though, the win at Gateshead all started with "squad rotation" and bringing new players in.

You might argue "best team !" perhaps but then again was it ?...
How many wanted Clay in v Gateshead ?
Like everything, always easy in hindsight !

And back to SR (that's if it even happens) looking ahead, what about Nathan Arnold ?
Similar to Neilson, guess he's very good indeed !?

Also, whatever your own view on our participation and desired progress in the FA Trophy, it served us well there from a results point of view in the earlier rounds. Helps to rest players, get others fit, gain experience etc.

It's all a bit of a red herring IMO.
No-one complains about "tinkering" if we lose a game, make changes and then lose again.
I'm sure there are countless examples where we've changed the team and still won too.
Whatever the case and the future, I've no doubt Hurst generally knows what he's doing regards team selection, I'm convinced of it.
Quoted from Meza
There were some players that did well when coming on better than the ones starting but dropped the next week.

It may be a fair point, without knowing who or when can't really comment.
Without risking pontoonlew going on a Cook rampage, that's the one that sticks in my mind v Huddersfield and guess it may be a fair point.
Then again, did Cook cut the mustard ?
Perhaps Hurst was right not to include him, well I see both sides tbh but he's not here now...
In any case only Hurst knows the full reasons for all his selections, you'll just have to ask him.
Reply: 29 - 37
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.