Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Try to keep the negativity away now??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 218 Guests

Try to keep the negativity away now??

This thread currently has 3,027 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
JMT
August 25, 2014, 11:24pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +473
Gold Stars: 19
We've seen what everybody being positive can do today, Lenny happily proving his haters wrong with his celebration.. Clay being bloody fantastic
if we keep the atmosphere positive and keep away the negatives i'm sure the team will preform.
Logged Offline
Private Message
acko338
August 26, 2014, 9:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
1- 0 or 7-0, both wins, but the way Town played over the two matches MUST surely put a smile on even the worst doubters. Tests will follow when we play the fancied teams or if a team digs in ten at the back and we find if we have learnt a Plan "B".

Movement and speed of passing will potentially be where we can overcome the trench merchants away from their homes - we now have several players who seem happy to take on opponents at speed and play good through balls to running players - this will drag even mass defenses out of their comfort zones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 21
Marinerz93
August 26, 2014, 11:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Gatesheed were a fancied team  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 21
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
August 26, 2014, 12:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I posted this on the Great Weekend thread.

Just looking back to January 2011 which was the time we scored 7 against Mansfield followed by 6 against Histon, after those two results we only got 27 points from the next 24 games. So for once I am on the side of the manager in being cautious. It was a sensible comment in interview to say he was pleased but not excited.

My perspective is that Hurst is beginning to grow up as a manager and if the players keep getting the points he may become a bit more positive if not adventurous! The real test will come in the tight matches where he needs to change the game with a new tactic or substitution.

For now let's enjoy two great days. There have been enough grim ones to last us a lifetime.

Seems to me that we should be "realistically" happy and save the "over the moon" happy for later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 21
MeanwoodMariner
August 26, 2014, 12:28pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8

Seems to me that we should be "realistically" happy and save the "over the moon" happy for later.

What you say makes complete sense from a professional point of view but I would say that weekends like this are as good as it gets as a fan so feel free to go mental! For a few more days at least it feels like we can beat anyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 21
Getyourfactsright
August 26, 2014, 9:04pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +19 / -26
Approval: +196
Gold Stars: 47
What I noted was that the Gateshead faithful sung their hearts out behind us. Very annoying when it's not your own..

Irrelevant of going goals down they didn't shut up.

Hope we can forget where we've been for a while and back our lads come what may.

Encouragement can make a player show where without that may not be the case.

Worth a try and let's build on things. There will be bumps along the way and that's when we most need the fans.

A best John UTM
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 21
cod_head_doug
August 26, 2014, 9:07pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +422
Gold Stars: 3
As I was driving back from Gateshead I had BBC Newcastle on the radio. The two old boy pundits suggested that the entire Grimsby team should be drug tested regarding the way we played and how we took the heed apart. It made me giggle. Then after seeing the demolition of Alfreton on Monday it got me thinking. So I don't know what you are putting in tea Paul, but whatever it is, keep right on !

Bobby Cummings is my hero ! The main reason I am a Cod Head.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 21
acko338
August 26, 2014, 9:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
They've all been to Specsavers, and can see each other now, and pass to the right players in the right positions..... SIMPS !!!!!!!!!!

Take it one game at a time, and sub the booked players, so they don't get sent off and suspended ! - surprised no one has mentioned that yet??

I think that Brown could possibly beat Pearson to the first bookings suspension??

Big priority is to keep the players fit, not run them into the ground.

Anyone know how Nathan Arnold is recovering??
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 21
August 26, 2014, 9:28pm
Guest User
Couldn't agree more with John tbh, some really excellent points IMO.

Perhaps some imagine I'm only saying it to agree but nothing could be further from the truth.

Reply: 8 - 21
chaos33
August 26, 2014, 9:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,864
Gold Stars: 353
Quoted from 120797
Couldn't agree more with John tbh, some really excellent points IMO.

Perhaps some imagine I'm only saying it to agree but nothing could be further from the truth.

I understand what he's saying, but, in all fairness, Gateshead haven't been where we've been, lost what we've lost, fallen from the height we've tumbled from and endured some of the difficulties and non-performances we have. This is their level if everyone is honest and probably always will be. We're not comparing like with like.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 21
August 26, 2014, 10:24pm
Guest User
Fully appreciate that point chaos.

However will past fortunes always be the recurring theme after every setback THIS season ?
Even though it's a clean slate, new squad, fresh hope etc ?

It's often been said "Fans needs something to feed off from the players".
Fully appreciate the point. (we all know it's true !)
But it also works the other way too ?

Not saying it's always easy by any means, but surely the bottom line is there's nothing to stop fans offering as much support, making as much noise as they like or trying to feel more upbeat if they really want be. (again not saying it's easy but it can be done if you desire it !)

Irrespective of results and performances, surely you can see the connection between more supportive fans (in tougher times) and an even better chance of success through that support ?...

Perhaps you or others may consider my own view to be so called "happy clapper" or "low expectations" speak.
But for me, it's not a case of club loyalty, applauding perceived unwanted outcomes or personal lack of ambition at all !

Put it this way...
I'm not gonna start clapping if a Town player misses an open goal.
But I might decide to make another conscious effort to support even harder if the team's then in need of any extra support the most.
Like I said, it's not always easy but it's certainly do-able !

Sure no-one enjoys or applauds past near misses.
We just have to move on and make the best of all our opportunities IMO.
Reply: 10 - 21
chaos33
August 26, 2014, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
No mate, I'm not going to consider your view to be 'happy clapper'.  
I haven't really got a strong view on this, but think that context is everything really. I can't explain the actions of ours (or anyone else's) fans at games or on a message board. Each club has its supporters of varying ages and they will have all endured certain amounts of success and failure. I think I'm generally of the opinion that Town are very lucky to have the level of support they do, even though this inevitably means that there will be a small proportion of abusive, moaning types. I believe that the majority are fair minded, committed, enthusiastic and exceedingly patient.  

As for the notion that positive supporters give you a greater chance of success - I don't know really. I suppose they do. I've never really thought of it in those terms. I've never thought, having endured yet another performance flop - if only our fans were more positive and vocal we'd have won that game. I know that you made the point the other day about Dover's fans giving them great backing, and JF makes his point about Gateshead fans, and that's all fair enough - I just think it's easy to make generalisations. Their fan 'positivity' didn't help either team to beat us though did it.

Comparing the relative joys of following Dover or Gateshead - teams with absolutely no football league pedigree isn't really very meaningful to me. Town fans have been quiet in the first two home games; easy to understand to a point given that we really didn't offer very much in the way of entertainment, but the supporters have responded positively when they have seen the players playing with method, skill, pace etc - aspects we've seen very little of in recent times.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 21
mariner2000
August 26, 2014, 11:15pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +164
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from chaos33
No mate, I'm not going to consider your view to be 'happy clapper'.  
I haven't really got a strong view on this, but think that context is everything really. I can't explain the actions of ours (or anyone else's) fans at games or on a message board. Each club has its supporters of varying ages and they will have all endured certain amounts of success and failure. I think I'm generally of the opinion that Town are very lucky to have the level of support they do, even though this inevitably means that there will be a small proportion of abusive, moaning types. I believe that the majority are fair minded, committed, enthusiastic and exceedingly patient.  

As for the notion that positive supporters give you a greater chance of success - I don't know really. I suppose they do. I've never really thought of it in those terms. I've never thought, having endured yet another performance flop - if only our fans were more positive and vocal we'd have won that game. I know that you made the point the other day about Dover's fans giving them great backing, and JF makes his point about Gateshead fans, and that's all fair enough - I just think it's easy to make generalisations. Comparing the relative joys of following Dover or Gateshead - teams with absolutely no football league pedigree isn't really very meaningful to me. Town fans have been quiet in the first two home games; easy to understand to a point given that we really didn't offer very much in the way of entertainment, but the supporters have respondded positively when they have seen the players playing with method, skill, pace etc - aspects we've seen very little of in recent times.

Over the last few years I think Fenty has had a point about Negativity but right now I'm not sure.

I don't think Dover fans positivity will their penalty to go and in the Heeds fans positivity for the whole game didn't turn the result around in their favour. If we had remained positive for the whole of Woods reign would we have become world beater?  No I don;t think so.

I do think Fenty means more generally that players don't feel fans are getting on heir backs, don't make as many mistakes due to it etc and therefore as a law of averages more results go your way.....

I think the 2 results over the weekend have been amazing and the club as a whole needs congratulating. I must admiit after the start to this season resembled the last two whole seasons I still feel it too early to be swept away by the 2 games.

I really do hope this is the point where we start beating teams week in week out, comfortably.

Interesting that the goals have coincided with our defence looking shakier.......DON'T tighten it up Paul!!! LOL

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 12 - 21
August 26, 2014, 11:19pm
Guest User
Yep points taken chaos, I see where you're coming from and think you make some good points.

Especially
Quoted from chaos33
I can't explain the actions of ours (or anyone else's) fans at games or on a message board.

Always worth remembering if we expect others to always be like ourselves.

tbh I'm not gonna comment in terms of "postive/negative", not sure it's particularly relevant to my view.

Bottom line for me...  

If fans are feeling a little cheesed off yet STILL manage to raise their voices or put their hands together as much as they can to support the team in those doubtful/trying moments then much respect and credit to them for helping the promotion cause, it's one big thank you and thumbs up in my book.
Reply: 13 - 21
chaos33
August 26, 2014, 11:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Yep. Agreed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 21
August 26, 2014, 11:46pm
Guest User
Quoted from mariner2000

Over the last few years I think Fenty has had a point about Negativity but right now I'm not sure.

Interesting, I'm vice versa now lol.

Quoted from mariner2000
I don't think Dover fans positivity will their penalty to go and in the Heeds fans positivity for the whole game didn't turn the result around in their favour. If we had remained positive for the whole of Woods reign would we have become world beater?  No I don;t think so.

Point taken about the pen but would still argue Dover's fans (and ours) may well have had some small effect on the outcome of a tight match though - if Dover hadn't supported as much and we had had done more, it may well have been different IMO.
Same as how fans on Saturday really helped inspire the team to a drubbing where they were relatively much quieter at home before. (you could just FEEL a better atmosphere at BP on Monday !)

Obviously a large chunk boils down the players and Gateshead's players were short on the day.
But for me, support is always valuable and always gives you the best chance of success.
Reply: 15 - 21
GyMariner
August 27, 2014, 12:14am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -5
Approval: +686
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from 120797

Interesting, I'm vice versa now lol.

Point taken about the pen but would still argue Dover's fans (and ours) may well have had some small effect on the outcome of a tight match though - if Dover hadn't supported as much and we had had done more, it may well have been different IMO.
Same as how fans on Saturday really helped inspire the team to a drubbing where they were relatively much quieter at home before. (you could just FEEL a better atmosphere at BP on Monday !)

Obviously a large chunk boils down the players and Gateshead's players were short on the day.
But for me, support is always valuable and always gives you the best chance of success.

Your points are kind of supported by the fact that the alfreton keeper totally collapsed under the pressure of the crowd on Monday. He was a you ngster and completely lost his head in goal. 3/4 consecutive goal kicks went out of play into the main stand. Yes it was windy but the pressure definitely got to him and the whole of BP could see it.

The crowd certainly have an effect on the players both positively and negatively.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 21
August 27, 2014, 1:08am
Guest User
Exactly mate !
Was thinking the same at the time so joined in when he was taking the goal kicks.
Felt sorry for the young lad (and Alfretons fans) when the final whistle went though !

Reply: 17 - 21
chaos33
August 27, 2014, 7:47am
Barley Wine Drinker
They might have to get used to it this season!

No seriously, of course it's easy to feel sorry for them. We've all been there, seen it, felt it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 21
grimsby pete
August 27, 2014, 5:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,780
Gold Stars: 222
What we all have to realise is we will have some disappointing draws and defeats before the end of the season,

BUT

We all know what our team are capable of now,

So lets all get behind the team all of the time regardless of the result,

Then we will get our just rewards,

CHAMPIONS

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 21
Garth
August 27, 2014, 6:40pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from grimsby pete
What we all have to realise is we will have some disappointing draws and defeats before the end of the season,

BUT

We all know what our team are capable of now,

So lets all get behind the team all of the time regardless of the result,

Then we will get our just rewards,

CHAMPIONS

Capable of yes,  but the bar this weekend has been set at a height that will not be seen again for some time if ever (13 in two consecutive matches) so a few matches won by the odd goal or two will do me fine UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 21
August 27, 2014, 10:44pm
Guest User
Quoted from chaos33
We've all been there, seen it, felt it.

True.
Not everyone is feeling glum or talking about irrelevant failures of the past in the present moment when the team is flying though.
Reply: 21 - 21
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Try to keep the negativity away now??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.