8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
crusty ole pie
January 20, 2014, 3:59pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Cheltenham in the playoffs but with a different outcome had we won that match how different our recent history would read but if I can't tweak the result  then it would be Norwich at home in 72 will never forget that night in the pontoon with a crowd of almost 23000
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 77
The Yard Dog
January 20, 2014, 8:06pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
My would be 1979 when we lost to Liverpool 5-0 never seen so many go to away game before or since (not including Wembley), we had fans in corner of Anfield that day (estimated between 15000- 20000).  Did some fans goto the Everton game because they could not get in. I think Everton were playing Aldershot

Also the two wins over Wolves & Everton in the same year.

Middlesbrough away in the FA cup in the 3rd round 1989 we won 2-1 I think Mark North scored town goals, certain Harry the haddock made appearance later during the FA cup run.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 77
crusty ole pie
January 20, 2014, 9:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,311
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from The Yard Dog
My would be 1979 when we lost to Liverpool 5-0 never seen so many go to away game before or since (not including Wembley), we had fans in corner of Anfield that day (estimated between 15000- 20000).  Did some fans goto the Everton game because they could not get in. I think Everton were playing Aldershot

Middlesbrough away in the FA cup in the 3rd round 1989 we won 2-1 I think Mark North scored town goals, certain Harry the haddock made appearance later during the FA cup run.

Released from hospital three days after a painful operation to find myself in a packed Kop 5 hours later
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 77
Sigone
January 20, 2014, 10:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,607
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from The Yard Dog
My would be 1979 when we lost to Liverpool 5-0 .

I remember Drinkall bringing a brilliant save from Clemence and Kilmore hitting the corner flag from 6 yards out.  Town were awesome for the 1st 15 mins, after that the Town player who touched it the most was Batch picking it out the net 5 times. Everton fans rather upset with town fans after the game, chasing us across stanley park and down Anfield Rd, cant think why  .  The other thing i remember was Batch being in the pier before any town fans got home, due to him getting a lift with mike hallett and doing over a 100mph home  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 77
Les Brechin
January 21, 2014, 12:10am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from Sigone

I remember Drinkall bringing a brilliant save from Clemence and Kilmore hitting the corner flag from 6 yards out.  Town were awesome for the 1st 15 mins, after that the Town player who touched it the most was Batch picking it out the net 5 times. Everton fans rather upset with town fans after the game, chasing us across stanley park and down Anfield Rd, cant think why  .  The other thing i remember was Batch being in the pier before any town fans got home, due to him getting a lift with mike hallett and doing over a 100mph home  

Kenny Dogfish and Jimmy Plaice!!!

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 77
jock dock tower
January 21, 2014, 7:24am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Quoted from The Yard Dog

We had 20,000 plus at Anfield. Had the Anfield Road end, half the Kemlyn Road stand, plus a good few in the Kop - something that had never happened at Anfield previously. When you think how strictly away fans are controlled nowadays, and have been for some time, it wouldn't surprise me if the Town following that day might be the biggest ever seen at Anfield? Everton were playing Aldershot that day, and did try and take it out on Town fans across Stanley Park, ably abetted by the local plod who turned a blind eye.

Consider this....their capacity then was about the 55,000 mark, and they only reached that mark four times that season, against Everton, Leeds, Man Utd and Spurs. There would have been a huge home support for those games, so away fans would have been limited. Town's attendance was 49,000, Liverpool's fifth highest attendance of the season! The following round when they had Bury at home, there were some 32,000 in the ground, and that was virtually a local derby. Shows how big the Town support was that day.

We didn't beat Wolves that season, though only the crossbar kept them in the game at BP. Huge away followings at Molineux and the Baseball Ground (for the 2nd replay) made it a memorable season alongside our promotion to the old 2nd Division as well.

Coventry away in 1972-3 was another huge "away day" with 23,000 making the trip to Highfield Road. If I remember rightly, didn't the Telegraph have the headline "Will the last person out of Grimsby turn off the lights"??? All the spare coach capacity in Lincolnshire had been booked, and over 120 coaches, 2 special trains and thousands of cars made the journey, giving Coventry their biggest home attendance for 4 years!

Such a shame that today's fans will never experience those kind of days again. Anyone who was there will simply never forget them.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 77
Les Brechin
January 21, 2014, 7:35am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from jock dock tower

We had 20,000 plus at Anfield. Had the Anfield Road end, half the Kemlyn Road stand, plus a good few in the Kop - something that had never happened at Anfield previously. When you think how strictly away fans are controlled nowadays, and have been for some time, it wouldn't surprise me if the Town following that day might be the biggest ever seen at Anfield? Everton were playing Aldershot that day, and did try and take it out on Town fans across Stanley Park, ably abetted by the local plod who turned a blind eye.

Consider this....their capacity then was about the 55,000 mark, and they only reached that mark four times that season, against Everton, Leeds, Man Utd and Spurs. There would have been a huge home support for those games, so away fans would have been limited. Town's attendance was 49,000, Liverpool's fifth highest attendance of the season! The following round when they had Bury at home, there were some 32,000 in the ground, and that was virtually a local derby. Shows how big the Town support was that day.

We didn't beat Wolves that season, though only the crossbar kept them in the game at BP. Huge away followings at Molineux and the Baseball Ground (for the 2nd replay) made it a memorable season alongside our promotion to the old 2nd Division as well.

Coventry away in 1972-3 was another huge "away day" with 23,000 making the trip to Highfield Road. If I remember rightly, didn't the Telegraph have the headline "Will the last person out of Grimsby turn off the lights"??? All the spare coach capacity in Lincolnshire had been booked, and over 120 coaches, 2 special trains and thousands of cars made the journey, giving Coventry their biggest home attendance for 4 years!

Such a shame that today's fans will never experience those kind of days again. Anyone who was there will simply never forget them.

Liverpool and Everton playing at home at the same time too!!

Even in those days I'm surprised it happened but then again Sunday football was almost unheard of then. (Even if the first Sunday game was in 1974, it wasn't the given thing back then)

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 77
ginnywings
January 21, 2014, 10:23am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Quoted from Les Brechin

Kenny Dogfish and Jimmy Plaice!!!

Phil Eel and Terry McTurbot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 77
jock dock tower
January 21, 2014, 11:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Liverpool's meat and potato pies were absolutely minging, probably the worst "food" I've ever endured at a football match!

Remember turning up at Anfield fairly early, about 1.30pm, and they only had two gates on the Anfield Raod end open. I asked Plod, who was stoood nearby (the only one) if he was aware of how many fans were making their way over the Pennines, given they only had the two gates open? He said their "intelligence indicated that they were expecting between 1,500 and 2,000" When i informed me that there were 20,000 odd coming he told me to "f*ck off smart@rse!"

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 77
promotion plaice
January 21, 2014, 12:33pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
We were also picked on by Everton fans ( I USE THE TERM LOOSELY ) after the game.
We got to the game on one of them massive football special trains. Some of the trains windows were smashed coming out of Liverpool.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › If you could re-live one game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.