8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 17, 2014, 5:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,643
Gold Stars: 70
Of the above remember the game Ginnywings mmentions v Barnsley and in particular Batchy making nonpolite gestures re Barnsley when facing the Ponny, basically implying they were w.......s. Re the game at Coventry we went on bus from Rasen and had to go through Newark, before bypass was built, and we had three pints in Bridge Inn whilst bus moved about 50 yards. Think we had something like 13000 town fans at that game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 77
CairnsMariner
January 18, 2014, 2:57am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +21
My favourite Town memory will always be of that first Wembley visit - just because I never thought I would see Grimsby there (I emigrated weeks after the Northampton game).

However, I would love to feel again the wonder that I felt when we went to Liverpool in 1980 for the FA Cup. I had never experienced such a crowd or noise or intimidation like that before and it blew my 11 year old mind. I know we lost 5-0, but hey, that whole Anfield experience was amazing.

A special mention has to go out to the League Cup run of 1979. My memory is fading a bit, but didn't we beat Notts County in a terrific game first before those two epic Blundell Park nights against Everton (favourite home game) and Wolves (oh the anti climax of the third Wolves game at Derby (I still have a programme for that somewhere))?

And what about the first half of the Harry The Haddock game at Wimbledon?

There's a crooked street in Grimsby Town
It's a well worn path I've travelled down
Now there's ruin in my name, I wish i'd never got off the train
And I wish I'd listened to the words you said....
...Don't go down to Freeman Street
Don't go down to Freeman Street
You'll be lost and never found
You can never turn around
Don't go down to Freeman Street

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
hertfordshire mariner
January 18, 2014, 6:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from nickmariners
Was at many of the games mentioned so far - do you remember how poor the facilities were at Stamford Bridge that cold and wet Harrods day when Fordie beat 'em?

Exeter '72 probably the best for my generation

Add to list:

second best: Coventry away FA Cup in 70-whenever.   Never seen so many away Town fans until the later Wembley days.  The Clee Grammar school busfull of Town fans got stuck in a traffic jam in Leicester, composed almost entirely of other Town coaches.   We woz robbed, btw.

Also one to remember: West ham Utd away in Cup, on freezing night in 95/96.  1 1 draw, phenomenal Town turnout - midweek too.  And topical banner and chant from us that amused the Hammers fans : "Free Arthur Fowler".  Beat them in the replay at BP, then out in next round vs Chelsea, Ruud Gullit version

The away game was ment to be on the Saturday but got called off on the day because of snow, we got just past gimpland on the a46 when it got called off, wasn't aloud to go to the reply because of school in the morning, but saw us win at bp. Good times  

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
jock dock tower
January 18, 2014, 8:05am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
All those memories. Not a bad club, eh?

Everton 2-1 for me. Proper giant killing for the first time in my lifetime.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
Running like emson
January 18, 2014, 8:41am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from nickmariners

Also one to remember: West ham Utd away in Cup, on freezing night in 95/96.  1 1 draw, phenomenal Town turnout - midweek too.  And topical banner and chant from us that amused the Hammers fans : "Free Arthur Fowler".  Beat them in the replay at BP, then out in next round vs Chelsea, Ruud Gullit version.

Remember this well: was living in Essex at the time , the hammers fans on the district line home were anything but amused!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 77
grimsby pete
January 19, 2014, 10:47am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
One of my first away games was when we won 3-1 at Scunthorpe,

D ic k  Conner got one but can not remember who scored the other two,

More than likely Rafferty  

It would be nice to go back and watch that one again.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
Belfast Town
January 19, 2014, 2:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +1,689
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from ginnywings
Some great matches mentioned and i was at a good number of them but one that always sticks in my mind was Easter 1982 (i think) against Barnsley at BP.

2-0 down at half time and we won 3-2 kicking toward a packed pontoon in the second half. Joe Waters magnificent and pandemonium in the Ponny.

That was a great match. Was that the same one Bobby Cumming got Norman Hunter sent off?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
Les Brechin
January 19, 2014, 2:24pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Running like emson

Remember this well: was living in Essex at the time , the hammers fans on the district line home were anything but amused!

Yeah, remember it too. We were on one of the numerous supporters coaches but because the A46 was blocked at Caistor because of the snow we had to go A180, M180, A15. We were halfway between the M180 and Caenby Corner when we heard that the game had been called off.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 19, 2014, 7:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,643
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Belfast Town

That was a great match. Was that the same one Bobby Cumming got Norman Hunter sent off?

No that was boxing day 1979 I think, believe this was raised earlier in this thread or another one
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
PrestwichMariner
January 20, 2014, 1:43pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +281
Gold Stars: 5
The West Ham game - I got an early morning train from Bolton and found out the game was off when I got to the ground!! Made it back for the draw got into work the next day and was made redundant!!

Wearing badges is not enough in days like these!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › If you could re-live one game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.