This thread currently has 16,364 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
hertfordshire mariner
January 15, 2014, 12:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
home game - either Newcastle at home 91/92 (only saw the second half coz the steward let me in free at half time) or spurs in the cup same season

away - either shef united 94/95 and 95/96 or stoke 93/94 (i only say stoke because going to stoke on the train and walking to the victora ground not long after all the kicking off happened at bp was a experience in its self for a 15 year old kid)

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 77
mariner83
January 15, 2014, 9:41am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
The home leg of play off semi final against Fulham or Liverpool in 2001.  The atmosphere for both was brilliant.

More recently when be beat Lincoln 4-1 on Boxing Day the other year.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 77
GrimRob
January 15, 2014, 1:50pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Gold Stars: 113
Grimsby 1 WBA 0 Ivano scoring and being mobbed, beating Buckley's Judas team!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 32 - 77
Caesar
January 15, 2014, 2:20pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +1,799
Great thread, love reading other peoples thoughts although there are many games I didn't go to and am now feeling like I missed out on a lot!

For me there are 3 contenders:

I would have to consider an odd one, Bury away 2-0.  First win under Mike Newell after what felt like forever.  We had a man sent off and the game wasn't great but the atmosphere among Town fans that day was one of the best I have ever heard, amazing support and commitment meant there was not a second's silence in the entire second half.

Secondly as others have mentioned the Bournemouth Auto Windscreen win, remember seeing Wembley way and being so excited, was right behind the goal as Burnett scored and while Golden Goal was a bad idea, if there is a better way to win I don't know it.

However my the ONE game I would have to re-live is the playoff final against Northampton.  The previous Wembley visit was great but this just felt so much more important, there were so many more Northampton fans and despite a penalty and hitting the bar we were only 1 goal up and under the cosh for what felt like the longest 6 minutes of my life.  Then after a couple of scary moments the final whistle went and we had done the 'double'.  The release of that moment and the euphoria of promotion for me cannot be beaten.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 77
sonik
January 15, 2014, 4:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from gobby
Chelsea 2 Grimsby 3. Saturday 17th December 1983. This game for me, I travelled with the Town fans on the train to Kings Cross. I was a Chelsea follower in them days and was sat behind the dugouts with my younger brother and a mate. at half time I was well happy being 2 - 0 up through John Bumstead and Kerry Dixon, Town came out and scored through a player I cant recall but the highlight of the game was a magnificent strike by Tony Ford, it was one of the best goals I have seen at Stanford Bridge. I think Waters scored the winner for Town which left me gutted.This day was marred by the Harrods Bomb which killed many and was a sad day for the nation but the game was one to remember for the 13,000 that attended for Fords goal alone.
Chelsea came to Blundell Park for the last game of the season and won 0 - 1 (Dixon) and lifted the Div 2 title. How things have changed for me as now if I could return for that game I would be stood with the Town fans.
UTMM

I was also at this game in my early Army days. Fantastic day but for me it has to be the Jim Dobbin goal at Newcastle winning 1-0. "Put it in the corner say Alan" Jim did. The top corner!

UTM!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 77
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 15, 2014, 5:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
At many of the games mentioned and the 71/72 Exeter game always a highlight but think the first game of that season when we beat the Scunts 4-1 with Tees hattrick was the start of a new era having watched town for the previous three years when we were mainly dire with low crowds. The next big one which rarely gets mentioned, maybe cos not a classis was 1-1 draw with Norwich in League cup in 1971 when we also has 22000 in attendance. I was fifteen and never experienced anything like that in my time watching town.

I also really enjoyed some home boxing day fixtures with good crowds v Newcastle 1978 I think, then Barnsley when big Norman got sent off for nutting Bob Cumming and v Sheff wed when Jack Charlton in charge ans we won 1-0.

Add Everton, spurs twice Fulham in play offs and Everton away plus Wembley in 1998 and choosing becomes impossible
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 77
grimsby pete
January 15, 2014, 5:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

I also really enjoyed some home boxing day fixtures with good crowds v Newcastle 1978 I think, then Barnsley when big Norman got sent off for nutting Bob Cumming

He never touched him  

Bobby winked at the Ponny when Hunter got conned.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 77
Abdul19
January 15, 2014, 6:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,552
Gold Stars: 215
Them were the days, long before all those foreigners and their cheating

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 77
Garth
January 15, 2014, 6:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Everton away with that late winner from Wilko. From celebrating we might hold on for a replay to then win it after being under the cosh for most of the game was amazing.

This,  a modern Rorke`s Drift, jn all the matches I`ve seen since I`ve never seen us pinned in our own half for 88 minutes, break away corner GQAL!, I don`t think Everton had lost at home that season till then
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 77
mrsd
January 15, 2014, 9:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +144
v Exeter 1972, best atmosphere at Blundell Park
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › If you could re-live one game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.