8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Madeleymariner
January 14, 2014, 8:38pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,050
Gold Stars: 49
Everton away with that late winner from Wilko. From celebrating we might hold on for a replay to then win it after being under the cosh for most of the game was amazing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 77
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 14, 2014, 8:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
Tranmere away early 90's league cup.

Chhhiiiiiimmmmmmmmaaaaa

Obviously the big games, but sometimes it's the lesser games that create the memories too.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 77
gobby
January 14, 2014, 8:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Chelsea 2 Grimsby 3. Saturday 17th December 1983. This game for me, I travelled with the Town fans on the train to Kings Cross. I was a Chelsea follower in them days and was sat behind the dugouts with my younger brother and a mate. at half time I was well happy being 2 - 0 up through John Bumstead and Kerry Dixon, Town came out and scored through a player I cant recall but the highlight of the game was a magnificent strike by Tony Ford, it was one of the best goals I have seen at Stanford Bridge. I think Waters scored the winner for Town which left me gutted.This day was marred by the Harrods Bomb which killed many and was a sad day for the nation but the game was one to remember for the 13,000 that attended for Fords goal alone.
Chelsea came to Blundell Park for the last game of the season and won 0 - 1 (Dixon) and lifted the Div 2 title. How things have changed for me as now if I could return for that game I would be stood with the Town fans.
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 77
Les Brechin
January 14, 2014, 8:46pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from gobby
Chelsea 2 Grimsby 3. Saturday 17th December 1983. This game for me, I travelled with the Town fans on the train to Kings Cross. I was a Chelsea follower in them days and was sat behind the dugouts with my younger brother and a mate. at half time I was well happy being 2 - 0 up through John Bumstead and Kerry Dixon, Town came out and scored through a player I cant recall but the highlight of the game was a magnificent strike by Tony Ford, it was one of the best goals I have seen at Stanford Bridge. I think Waters scored the winner for Town which left me gutted.This day was marred by the Harrods Bomb which killed many and was a sad day for the nation but the game was one to remember for the 13,000 that attended for Fords goal alone.
Chelsea came to Blundell Park for the last game of the season and won 0 - 1 (Dixon) and lifted the Div 2 title. How things have changed for me as now if I could return for that game I would be stood with the Town fans.
UTMM

I was there that day too Steve, there's very little press coverage etc from that game because of the IRA bombing of Harrod an hour and a half before kick off when most press were called away to cover that.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 77
gobby
January 14, 2014, 8:52pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +772
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Les Brechin

I was there that day too Steve, there's very little press coverage etc from that game because of the IRA bombing of Harrod an hour and a half before kick off when most press were called away to cover that.

I have never seen Fords goal Les. Who scored Towns 1st?
UTMM

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 77
Les Brechin
January 14, 2014, 9:28pm

Quoted from gobby

I have never seen Fords goal Les. Who scored Towns 1st?
UTMM

I thought Waters got the first, Paul Emson the 2nd and Fordy got the winner. Long time ago though so I might be getting muddled up.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 77
Les Brechin
January 14, 2014, 9:36pm

Just dug out my "Complete Record" book to check Steve.

Kerry Dixon scored the first after 27 minute from the penalty spot following a foul by Kev Moore (RIP)

John Bumstead put Chelsea 2-0 up after 57 minutes.

On 66 minutes Joe Waters beat Eddie Niedzwiecki with a 30 yard chipped shot

Eight minutes later Paul Emson jinked round the home defence and the Chelsea keeper could only get a finger-tip to the ball as it entered the net and then 3 minutes after that Emson sent an inch-perfect cross for Tony Ford to stun the occupants of The Shed into unaccustomed silence.

In between the last 2 goals, referee D.J.Axcell had to be stretchered off the field to be replaced by his linesman D.H.Nevin.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 77
northbankmariner
January 14, 2014, 9:42pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +27 / -3
Approval: +525
i have a tough call on this one as 3 stand out for me. The first being the unforgettable 4-3 defeat to arsenal at blundell park in the fa cup, great game great atmosphere against a great team. The second bournemouth at wembley, as others have mentioned the fact that we saw our little club playing at wembely for the first time ever was just huge and a great day out was had, the third was wembely 98 again against northampton, not particularly a great game but the feeling of emotion i had inside at the final whistle, dont mind admitting i was rather tearfull as that season i hadnt missed many games home or away and the feeling of knowing we had finally done it was something i have yet to repeat.

but as i only have 1 choice, bournemouth at wembley 98, only because it is something i always dreamed of but never in my wildest dreams thought would ever happen, gtfc at wembley.

CLAP
CLAP
CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP
FISH
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 77
promotion plaice
January 14, 2014, 9:51pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197
I`m with Sigone on this one, Town 2 Everton 1, League cup 4th round. Over 22,000 in Blundell Park. It was a night match and the atmosphere was electric. I was in the old Barrett`s stand. A programme for this game is actually for sale on ebay at the moment. A close second was seeing Town beat Bournemouth at Wembley.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 77
Theimperialcoroner
January 14, 2014, 10:16pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,187
Gold Stars: 102
Everton away still sends shivers down my spine when I think about it as a young kid twagging it to go. I'd want to see the Sheffield Utd game as I can only just remember it and I want to see the Waters goal again.

Wembley 1 too as it still brings a tear to the eye.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › If you could re-live one game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.