8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
cmackenzie4
January 14, 2014, 4:01pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
Gold Stars: 33
If you could re-live one game what would it be?

Mine would be the win at Liverpool and to see that wonder goal what Jevons scored, The atmosphere was electric and will live with me forever.

I would imagine a few on here would go for the Wembley games, I was at work for Bournemouth and on honeymoon for the Northampton game so missed out unfortunately.  

I have seen many memorable games at BP but the Liverpool away game sticks out for me.

Another very very memorable game was the win at Goodison.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Rodley Mariner
January 14, 2014, 4:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Without hesitation I'd go for Bournemouth at Wembley. Just the whole experience of getting the train and it being packed with Town fans then Kings Cross and the Tube being the same. I'd never been to Wembley before and the Twin Towers coming into view and knowing Town would be running out there, then the view of Wembley Way from the Tube was actually quite moving. Then the game and Town being really disappointing and going behind before figthing back second half and the golden goal in extra time. Absolutely magic day from start to finish.

Honourable mentions for Middlesbrough away in the FA Cup, Burnley away to get to Wembley and the Liverpool game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 77
Sigone
January 14, 2014, 4:30pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +12 / -4
Approval: +1,608
Gold Stars: 5
Vs Everton 1979 2-1 I was a young lad stood on a small stool in the Cons Corner, great game, great atmosphere.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 77
Les Brechin
January 14, 2014, 4:31pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
The very first game I ever went to when we beat Exeter 3-0, last game of the 71/72 season when we won the old 4th Division title.

I didn't really see much that day or appreciate what was going on but It'd be great to be back in The Pontoon now with the other 22,000 odd fans in the ground.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 77
acko338
January 14, 2014, 4:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Quoted from Les Brechin
The very first game I ever went to when we beat Exeter 3-0, last game of the 71/72 season when we won the old 4th Division title.

I didn't really see much that day or appreciate what was going on but It'd be great to be back in The Pontoon now with the other 22,000 odd fans in the ground.

I'd settle for 8,000 fans celebrating in the same fashion at the end of this season, please ! - not my 1st game, but totally unforgettable!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 77
RoboCod
January 14, 2014, 4:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Sigone
Vs Everton 1979 2-1 I was a young lad stood on a small stool in the Cons Corner, great game, great atmosphere.

Seconded. Just unbelievable atmosphere.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 77
Hagrid
January 14, 2014, 4:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,987
Gold Stars: 507
Notts Forest Away in 2001 ( i think) i cant even remember if we won or not but i just had a great day! so that one
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 77
cmackenzie4
January 14, 2014, 4:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.29
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,320
The 6.5 Burnley game was a cracker!  Not often you witness 11 goals in one game.

The playoff semi final against Fulham at BP was a cracker too, Great atmosphere and a full house!

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 77
lew chaterleys lover
January 14, 2014, 5:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,545
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from cmackenzie4
If you could re-live one game what would it be?

Mine would be the win at Liverpool and to see that wonder goal what Jevons scored, The atmosphere was electric and will live with me forever.

I would imagine a few on here would go for the Wembley games, I was at work for Bournemouth and on honeymoon for the Northampton game so missed out unfortunately.  

I have seen many memorable games at BP but the Liverpool away game sticks out for me.

Another very very memorable game was the win at Goodison.

2 games stand out for me but there have many many fantastic games over the years.

Home to West Ham in 1965 in the League Cup quarter final was a brilliant match which we should have won but ended drawing 2-2. Of course West Ham boasted several England players in their side and were top notch at the time. The atmosphere and noise when we went ahead twice was something else.

The Fulham play off game at home was an electric atmosphere and I think that was the most nervous I have been at any Town game so that stands out too.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 77
Cumbrian Mariner
January 14, 2014, 5:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +304
Quoted from Les Brechin

Think I'm going to have to agree with you on this Les, it's the first game I recall being at although my uncle tells me he had taken me to earlier games.  Stood on the wooden fences behind then pontoon goal, think the atmosphere of this day got me well and truly addicted to Town.

Was a close call between this, v Northampton at Wembley in 98, v Everton in 78/79,  v Sheff Utd 79/80 when Kev Drinkell scored a hat trick and we got the old 3rd division championship and probably when we beat Darlington at home 7-2 (78/79 ?), Mike Lester scored 4 I think ! Bloody great times.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 77
8 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › If you could re-live one game

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.