Abdul19
January 5, 2014, 9:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,513
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from GrimRob

Is it that massive? Semi finals of the league cup, doing well in the Champions League and certainly not out of a top 4 finish (or qualify by winning the CL as Chelsea had to). Plus loads of injuries and hardly signed a "Moyes" player - and let's face it the squad Fergie left was probably  one of his worst. Quite a few home defeat but there are legions of fans willing to go to home games so it's not costing them anything in gate receipts.

I keep hearing it was a bad squad, but it was a squad that won the league by 10+ points. Moyes spent all summer signing no-one until he panicked and bought Fellaini for an inflated sum at 23.59 on the last day of the window.

It's also amusing to see Everton doing so well (and playing attacking football)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 26
alvinghammariner
January 5, 2014, 10:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +32 / -7
Approval: +114
Quoted from Abdul19

I keep hearing it was a bad squad, but it was a squad that won the league by 10+ points. Moyes spent all summer signing no-one until he panicked and bought Fellaini for an inflated sum at 23.59 on the last day of the window.

It's also amusing to see Everton doing so well (and playing attacking football)

I think players like Vidic, Ferdinand and Evra are starting to show their age, declining rapidly.

Now based in reading, do I class as an exile yet?
http://twitter.com/#!/HenryBarber
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 26
mariner91
January 5, 2014, 11:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from GrimRob

Is it that massive? Semi finals of the league cup, doing well in the Champions League and certainly not out of a top 4 finish (or qualify by winning the CL as Chelsea had to). Plus loads of injuries and hardly signed a "Moyes" player - and let's face it the squad Fergie left was probably  one of his worst. Quite a few home defeat but there are legions of fans willing to go to home games so it's not costing them anything in gate receipts.

I think it is pretty massive. In the space of six months of Fergie retiring Old Trafford is no longer somewhere to be feared and they have lost that aura of invincibility about them. The squad he has inherited isn't very good but it did win the league quite easily last season so it can't be as poor as it has seemed all season. They aren't' out of a top 4 finish but they haven't really played well in any game yet this season so I think it is unlikely they'll make the top 4. As for having hardly any Moyes players, I'd suggest that's a blessing judging by the inflated price he paid for Fellaini and I'm not even sure Fellaini's best position is CM. He had all summer to buy players, everyone knew that their midfield needed strengthening but he did nothing of note.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 26
grimsby pete
January 6, 2014, 10:28am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from cmackenzie4
I wonder how long Moyes's job will be safe for?

Until Fergie decides to come out of retirement .

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 26
ginnywings
January 6, 2014, 10:46am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
David Moyes will be given time, just as Fergie was when he first went to Man Utd and struggled.

The difference is that Fergie had proved what a good manager he was by taking unfashionable Aberdeen all the way to European success and broke the Celtic Rangers dominance in Scotland. No mean feat.

Moyes on the other hand has won nothing and in 11 years at Everton, never once beat any of the top four on their own patch in over 40 attempts. I think he's over rated and a bad choice but time will tell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 26
mariner91
January 6, 2014, 10:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,575
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from ginnywings
David Moyes will be given time, just as Fergie was when he first went to Man Utd and struggled.

The difference is that Fergie had proved what a good manager he was by taking unfashionable Aberdeen all the way to European success and broke the Celtic Rangers dominance in Scotland. No mean feat.

Moyes on the other hand has won nothing and in 11 years at Everton, never once beat any of the top four on their own patch in over 40 attempts. I think he's over rated and a bad choice but time will tell.

I reckon Fergie nominated Moyes purely on the basis that he's a Glaswegian. It's not as though his record is fantastic, no trophies in 10 years at Everton is pretty poor, they're not what you'd call a "small" club like Wigan who managed an FA cup win in that time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 26
ginnywings
January 6, 2014, 11:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from mariner91

I reckon Fergie nominated Moyes purely on the basis that he's a Glaswegian. It's not as though his record is fantastic, no trophies in 10 years at Everton is pretty poor, they're not what you'd call a "small" club like Wigan who managed an FA cup win in that time.

Yeah, it's ironic that Martinez, who managed Wigan to a cup win is now at Everton and looks like he has taken them up a notch from where Moyes left them.

I think Utd should have gone for one of the more progressive thinking foreign managers. A club of their size and stature could have had their pick of Europes elite but stuck to the dour Scotsman model.

As successful as Fergie was, should he have been allowed to pick his successor?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 26
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › FAC 4th Round Draw

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.