Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why do people leave the ground early?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Why do people leave the ground early?

This thread currently has 11,514 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
The Singing Fisherman
February 11, 2013, 8:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
This as always annoyed me! I have paid for a ticket I wanna watch the whole game even if we are losing. I just dont get it at all. It doesn't just happen at town it happend at the England game last week. Does it really matter if it takes a little bit longer to get home. I will prob get shot down in flames but it just gets on my mammaries so thought I would mention it. I like to stay at my seat till the end and show the boys my support and applaud the team off the field. If you leave early why? Just a question thats all. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 11, 2013, 8:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,798
Gold Stars: 178
Never ever left a game early. And probably never will

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
aldi_01
February 11, 2013, 8:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I always wonder if these people walk out before a films finished at the cinema too??

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
jamesgtfc
February 11, 2013, 8:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,942
Gold Stars: 190
Same thing happens at half time too. People live life in such a hurry. Why rush for the toilet queue/bar/kiosk? If anything, show respect to those around you who are still watching the game. I agree with the OP, always has bugged me and always will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 11, 2013, 8:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Done it plenty of times at half time. Though mostly when newell was in charge!

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
February 11, 2013, 8:57pm
Guest User
I've pondered this and many other questions over the years. After much deliberation I came to the conclusion that some people are just twits.
Reply: 5 - 58
shotandcursed
February 11, 2013, 9:02pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +19 / -33
Approval: -1
Never left a town match early but. . .

Have you tried getting on to trains-underground when its been a 90,000 capacity?

"Did the mods take this into account, when aaron slobbers all over threads with his garbage and attention seeking posts ( though not always) that when he gets put in his place, he could abuse his position and delete comments and block members- no offence but he's the sort of mammary that would do this. the whole decision is beyond belief imo" Hagrid

"Mi5 has limited resources so like it or not the EDL if it was clever enough would plug the gap." Marinerz93

"twit!" Super Clive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 11, 2013, 9:05pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from shotandcursed

Have you tried getting on to trains-underground when its been a 90,000 capacity?

Lol....thought it was just town games! Pmsl

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
Alfie
February 11, 2013, 9:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Have no qualms about leaving when the game has been lost and have left before half time during the darker days of Woods, Newell and Buckley MK3.
However, it takes a certain type of pillock to leave a game at 88 minutes when you're 1-0 up and defending a corner... as was the case on Saturday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
lukeo
February 11, 2013, 9:08pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,355
Gold Stars: 143
I've only ever left a game early when town are down and out of the game and put in a poor performance (Oldham away lost 6-0) Burton away but i'd already left the ground BEFORE kick off and been stoof on the hill watching the game outside :/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
The Singing Fisherman
February 11, 2013, 9:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Quoted from shotandcursed

Yes last week at the england game. It took bloody ages. The pint when we finally got to the pub tasted nice thou Knowing how long it took will still not stop me from staying till the end when I go again thou.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
Codswede
February 11, 2013, 9:20pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Usually leave my seat when the officials board goes up and take a seat on row C or something until the final whistle, would be too scared to miss anything happen, had some very happy and very sad moments in row c at the front of the findus stand during injury time!

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
TownSNAFU5
February 11, 2013, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Besides part time fans, I can accept that there are good reasons for leaving early.  Eg, my brother has left a home game 10 mins before the end as he is on shift Sat night.  The alternative is to simply not go to the match.

What is harder to understand is people who block your view in going to get refreshments 10 mins before HT.   Why pay to watch the match in the first place?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
Marinerz93
February 11, 2013, 9:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
For some it is to get away early to avoid traffic and others for a variety of reasons.

At least people are supporting the club now even if they do try and get away early.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
DaveWSwaby
February 11, 2013, 9:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +12 / -4
When thousands of people attend an event there are any number of reasons why some have to leave early - here are a few of mine. Sometimes the kids need picking up on the way home - sometimes my wife picks me up and doesn't want to get snarled up in the traffic - many Town fans, like me, live miles out of town and for domestic reasons need to be home in time (for going out/dinner/any number of reasons). Fans on this board go on about why the gates should be bigger - well, clearly, if more people attend a game then there will be more who have to leave early for their own private reasons. Above all, it is a free country and people are entitled to do as they please - and in this era of universal personal communications (ie mobile phones) more people can be contacted during a game with reasons to leave earlier than they might have anticipated than at any time in the past.
What is more irritating is people arriving late, and then - instead of quickly taking their seat - stand around in front of you blocking the view. But, worse of all, is the twit with a mobile phone - gyrating their arms at some distant part of the ground insisting that they are the one with the hat on and why can't you see them!!.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
Les Brechin
February 11, 2013, 9:56pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
I've only left a game early once when we were 4-0 down at Barnsley and it had been pissing down all game.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
brad_gtfc
February 11, 2013, 10:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
To be honest, if people pay the money to get in they shouldn't feel bad about leaving early.
I've only ever left once early, that was Chesterfield away, we was 3-0 down an awful. We ended up pulling 2 back, I'd never leave early again as although it didn't happen I could've missed out. Just to add, that wasn't my choice to leave early, was the lad who was driving.
On Saturday I wandered down towards near the gate at the lower smiths and could see the game then was pretty much 1st out soon as the whistle went but thats because i was on a night shift and to get to work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
Tinymariner
February 11, 2013, 10:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I wish people would stop posting their own opinions and started to agree to just one persons view. This would be a happy board then.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
mariner91
February 11, 2013, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Only ever left one game early and that was the 3-0 loss to Torquay the year we went down. One of the most gutting performances I've ever seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
TonySmith
February 11, 2013, 10:45pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +964
Gold Stars: 11
  I've always wondered about this too. If I didn't have the full two hours it takes to watch the game, I wouldn't be there in the first place. I always assumed some people are more bothered about not getting stuck in traffic than about watching the whole game they paid to watch. It doesn't irritate me, but I do think it's funny when a game takes a dramatic turn towards the end and all the early leavers miss it. Especially if their team scores a winning goal or turns it around or something and a bunch of them come scurrying back. I wonder if they are so anxious to leave early next time when that happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
moosey_club
February 11, 2013, 10:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,209
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from aldi_01
I always wonder if these people walk out before a films finished at the cinema too??

but do you stay and watch the credits...players walking off is comparable to that......do you stay at the cinema until the entire reel of film has completely finished......or at the game until every player has walked down the tunnel?
I personally make my way down the stand a minute into injury time normally and mooch at an open corner until final whistle and then offski.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 58
LongEatonMariner
February 11, 2013, 10:52pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +12 / -6
Approval: +1,037
Quoted from moosey_club

but do you stay and watch the credits...players walking off is comparable to that......do you stay at the cinema until the entire reel of film has completely finished......or at the game until every player has walked down the tunnel?
I personally make my way down the stand a minute into injury time normally and mooch at an open corner until final whistle and then offski.

Yes I watch the credits and yes I clap the players off. Every game. Even the 4-0 loss at Xmas the other year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 11, 2013, 10:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
In the good old days when we used to get 5 figure crowds I used to make sure I was ready to sprint out on the final whistle because my bike was left in one of the gardens on Cons Avenue. If you didn't get there quick it would be buried under all the others. Later on I confess I did leave 2 or 3 minutes early sometimes to escape the traffic because in those days it really could take you 30 minutes to get onto Grimsby Road and as far as Isaacs Hill and if you wanted more than one pint after a night match you had to get the car out fast.

Not just at Town though. A lot of people at the big clubs used to do it simply because of the crush through the gates.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 58
Manchester Mariner
February 11, 2013, 10:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Just the one early finish watching Town for me, when Rotherham tonked us by 4 or 5 goals at the Don Valley and we had Toni Ameobi up front. I just thought sack this for a game of soldiers and favoured getting the first tram possible although it felt like a proper walk of shame having to walk the long way round the top of that athletics stadium for everyone to see. Awful day.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
80sglory
February 12, 2013, 12:29am
Guest User
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Why rush for the toilet queue/bar/kiosk?

Have you seen the crush down the stairs in the Upper ?
If you can get out and back in before the 2nd half kicks off when there's a big crowd you're doing well.  

They should open that exit door past the bogs so people who want to go outside don't have to walk all the way through the bar.

Quoted from jamesgtfc
If anything, show respect to those around you who are still watching the game.

A good point but you've got to be mindful that people e.g. might need a urine or something.
I wouldn't want to do it (I mean leave before HT) but dont see why people get annoyed.
Reply: 24 - 58
aaron rattray
February 12, 2013, 7:18am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I go down from the stand in the 85 minute and i stand where the ambulances park when im in the main stand then i go out the pontoon way so i can applaud the players, if im in any other stand i stay in my seat until the full time whistle has blown most of the time if not i stand at the front of the stand, so i never leave early

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
Doctor Sanchez
February 12, 2013, 7:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +19 / -6
Approval: +638
Leaving early is impossible for me.  It would be like trying to pull out during the vinegar stroke.

Serial thread killer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 58
topuphere666
February 12, 2013, 7:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
I left early at Hillsborough (7-1) but that has been the only time.

Like others when in the upper ill make my way down to the front rows for injury time then head for the exit on the whistle.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
Enoughpepper
February 12, 2013, 7:34am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
I never leave early, the annoying part of those that leave early, is when the game gets a little exciting in the last few minutes and the person who has chosen to leave early decides to stop and watch that moment of the game stood in front of people in the front few rows blocking there view. If you have made the decision not to watch the full match you have paid your hard earned for, kindly hurry out of the way of those that want to support there team until the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
Mrs Doyle
February 12, 2013, 8:03am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Annoys the hell out of me you have to get up and let these people out. Same with late comers you get settled and are enjoying the start then some pillock makes everybody get up because he usually has a seat somewhere in the middle of a tier. Never an issue with standing but it is with seating.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
DNMariner
February 12, 2013, 8:20am

Beer Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +100
Oh you're such a better fan for staying longer than everyone else! They've paid for their ticket, they can do whatever the intercourse they want for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
wigworld
February 12, 2013, 8:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from aaron rattray
I go down from the stand in the 85 minute and i stand where the ambulances park when im in the main stand then i go out the pontoon way so i can applaud the players, if im in any other stand i stay in my seat until the full time whistle has blown most of the time if not i stand at the front of the stand, so i never leave early

You can't sit still! No wonder I never see you.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 58
topuphere666
February 12, 2013, 8:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.19
Rep Score: +24 / -7
Approval: +1,843
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from wigworld

You can't sit still! No wonder I never see you.

He likes to keep you on your toes when playing spot the rat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
oldun
February 12, 2013, 8:57am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Never ever left a game early. And probably never will

I am with you on this Wozo. Never in 60 years of watching Town and I don't intend to start now (unless they have to carry me out!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 58
biggles9999
February 12, 2013, 9:05am
Main Stander
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Never left a game early but why are people complaining about people nipping out early at HT?

Its difficult enough getting to the loo and a drink at HT, if you need to and most people would rather be back at the seat for the start of the 2nd half. Going that couple of minutes early at HT means you see all of the second half. If you went with everybody else you would potentially miss 5/10 mins of the 2nd half (when theres a big(ish) crowd)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
chicaneuk
February 12, 2013, 9:09am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,467
Gold Stars: 5
I've never left a game early (and indeed never understood people leave 10 minutes before the end of the game!) but have to hold my hands up to being the guy who gets up before half time to grab some refreshments, for several reasons:

* Often there's people I want to chat to at half time.. can't do that if I'm queueing for a drink that whole time
* Whilst I'm there to enjoy the game I don't need to see EVERY SINGLE SECOND thats occurring.. it's enough to be able to hear what's going on
* I just don't like to queue - and am happy to miss a minute or two of the game in order to beat the queue

For what it's worth if I was well into a row of people I wouldn't get up and would just wait till half time but if I'm at a ground where we're all standing and I'm near the front (which I normally am) then I'll go!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
Sconeboy
February 12, 2013, 9:10am
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +218
Gold Stars: 2
I think the majority of us have probably got up and walked out as we've conceded a final blow goal in the 89th minute. There's been millions of times we've been say 2-1 down, and they wen't and scored another one in the dying minutes, and you just think to yourself 'righhhhht time to go', with the game finishing to a handful of people left!

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
ginnywings
February 12, 2013, 9:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Given the amount of late goals we conceded under Newell and Woods, i think the players left early most games.

Can't see an issue with people coming and going as they see fit. They pays their money....................
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
mariner83
February 12, 2013, 9:23am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
People queuing up for burgers blocking the front few rows of the ponny grinds my gears.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
MCT_grimsby
February 12, 2013, 9:27am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Dont understand it myself the last to home games people leaving 7 minutes early. Dont see the point and think that the players deserve clapping of the pitch after earning us 3 points

UTM!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
grimsby pete
February 12, 2013, 10:14am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from oldun

I am with you on this Wozo. Never in 60 years of watching Town and I don't intend to start now (unless they have to carry me out!)

I am still a young un compared to you , only 58 years for me never leaving early.

I usally stay a bit later and let the ones in a hurry go first,

It made me laugh when Arsenal fans left early at Reading when they were losing 4-1 at HT, then Arsenal went on to win 7-5

Also another good one was the Man City fans left early when City losing 2-1 last game of the season, so not being champions,

Then scored 2 goals in added time to take the championship,

Leaving thousands NOT seeing their team clinch it.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 58
sausage rolls
February 12, 2013, 10:17am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +31
I leave the games early on saturday due to starting wqork at 5.30pm. I have to drop my son off home first. What's the problem? We have season tickets and have paid towards the team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
grimsby pete
February 12, 2013, 10:23am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from sausage rolls
I leave the games early on saturday due to starting wqork at 5.30pm. I have to drop my son off home first. What's the problem? We have season tickets and have paid towards the team.

I do not think anybody was saying the likes of you are a lesser fan,

See my post above about fans leaving early  ( very early ) utm

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
cod.gtfc
February 12, 2013, 11:14am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
Never left before the final whistle however always leave my seat and stand in the corner of the findus from 90th min
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
Sconeboy
February 12, 2013, 11:19am
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +218
Gold Stars: 2
I remember some celebrity Liverpool fan (not sure who) leaving the Istanbul final at half time, he got in a taxi and the taxi driver told him the score. The dozy sod had to watch the rest of the game in a bar  

<*(((((>< G T F C ><(((((*>
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
Grantham_Mariner
February 12, 2013, 11:30am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +23 / -1
Approval: +3,177
Gold Stars: 50
I even stayed to the end at Hartlepool, not many Town fans did!

If the football is bad you can always watch the gulls.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
highcliff mariner
February 12, 2013, 11:47am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from 1600

Have you seen the crush down the stairs in the Upper ?
If you can get out and back in before the 2nd half kicks off when there's a big crowd you're doing well.  

They should open that exit door past the bogs so people who want to go outside don't have to walk all the way through the bar.

A good point but you've got to be mindful that people e.g. might need a urine or something.
I wouldn't want to do it (I mean leave before HT) but dont see why people get annoyed.

actually spoke to the saftey steward on sat, asked if they thought the congestion on the stairwell was "safe"now the gates are creeping up halftime widddle or smoke|cuppa is a complete nightmare ,really poor design .

UTM

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
aaron rattray
February 12, 2013, 11:52am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
Quoted from highcliff mariner

actually spoke to the saftey steward on sat, asked if they thought the congestion on the stairwell was "safe"now the gates are creeping up halftime widddle or smoke|cuppa is a complete nightmare ,really poor design .

UTM

What did they say?

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
highcliff mariner
February 12, 2013, 12:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from aaron rattray

What did they say?

Agreed it was a problem , but gave a sort of "what can i do about it " sort of answer

UTM

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
ginnywings
February 12, 2013, 12:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
I even stayed to the end at Hartlepool, not many Town fans did!

Well done that man. The most miserable experience i have ever had watching GTFC. Nearly made it to the end but our driver wanted away and we weren't going to argue.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
FishOutOfWater
February 12, 2013, 1:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from Les Brechin
I've only left a game early once when we were 4-0 down at Barnsley and it had been pissing down all game.

New Years Day 1983 Les?

If so...I was there but stayed to the bitter end  

And on another rain sodden day out at Luton when we lost 6-0 I still stayed till the final whistle

Which all goes to prove what a sad bar steward I must be!  

Seriously though, I can't ever recall leaving when the game's still in play...I accept there could be genuine reasons for leaving but for me it's see it right through all the time

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 58
DubaiMariner
February 12, 2013, 2:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Does it even matter? You do what you like. I've left plenty of times when i've been bored/game won/lost as you're straight out and away to the pub/home. Plus, many of these fans then huddle around the corners of the ground for injury time, so don't actually leave.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
Southwark Mariner
February 12, 2013, 2:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,545
Gold Stars: 82
I was tempted to leave Braintree away early last season. Stayed to the rather bitter end but not for the car park encounter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
Welwynmariner
February 12, 2013, 3:32pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Done it plenty of times at half time. Though mostly when newell was in charge!

I walked out of the away game at Barnet the season we got relegated and was amazed at the number of others who were already outside.

I don't mind if we lose but I do mind if we play like we did under Newell
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
FishOutOfWater
February 12, 2013, 6:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from mariner91
Only ever left one game early and that was the 3-0 loss to Torquay the year we went down. One of the most gutting gutless performances I've ever seen.

Just edited that a little to show you what my take on it was...

Flies right in the face of those who said they prefer Neil Woods' football to S&H's

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 58
Sweden
February 12, 2013, 6:33pm
Beer Drinker
Approval: +318
Gold Stars: 8
A friend of mine went to Berlin in Germany to see the World Cup qualifier last fall between Germany and Sweden. He left the game early in the second half when Germany led 4-0. The match ended 4-4. We remind him about it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
tintowner
February 12, 2013, 6:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
The (very) cold night at BP against Salisbury in the FA Cup. People were leaving the Findus and then Duffy pops up to force extra time. Some came rushing back in but a few (probably because of the cold) didnt bother.

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
JoeTheMariner
February 12, 2013, 6:51pm
Pontoonite
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +52
Never left early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 58
Rodley Mariner
February 12, 2013, 6:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I've left early plenty of times when we've been playing excrement and getting well beaten. I've got a 80 mile drive home and if I can be home 5 minutes earlier or watch another 5 minutes of a heavy defeat I know which one I'd choose. I left Hartlepool just before half time when we lost 8-1 - who's the more foolish, me or the people who spent another hour in the ground?

That said I haven't left any games early this season as we've never been out of a game I've attended.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why do people leave the ground early?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.