Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why do people leave the ground early?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 25 Guests

Why do people leave the ground early?

This thread currently has 11,449 views. Print
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
The Singing Fisherman
February 11, 2013, 9:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +400
Quoted from shotandcursed
Never left a town match early but. . .

Have you tried getting on to trains-underground when its been a 90,000 capacity?

Yes last week at the england game. It took bloody ages. The pint when we finally got to the pub tasted nice thou Knowing how long it took will still not stop me from staying till the end when I go again thou.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
Codswede
February 11, 2013, 9:20pm

Upper Findus
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +300
Usually leave my seat when the officials board goes up and take a seat on row C or something until the final whistle, would be too scared to miss anything happen, had some very happy and very sad moments in row c at the front of the findus stand during injury time!

ATAW
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
TownSNAFU5
February 11, 2013, 9:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Besides part time fans, I can accept that there are good reasons for leaving early.  Eg, my brother has left a home game 10 mins before the end as he is on shift Sat night.  The alternative is to simply not go to the match.

What is harder to understand is people who block your view in going to get refreshments 10 mins before HT.   Why pay to watch the match in the first place?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
Marinerz93
February 11, 2013, 9:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
For some it is to get away early to avoid traffic and others for a variety of reasons.

At least people are supporting the club now even if they do try and get away early.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
DaveWSwaby
February 11, 2013, 9:53pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +12 / -4
When thousands of people attend an event there are any number of reasons why some have to leave early - here are a few of mine. Sometimes the kids need picking up on the way home - sometimes my wife picks me up and doesn't want to get snarled up in the traffic - many Town fans, like me, live miles out of town and for domestic reasons need to be home in time (for going out/dinner/any number of reasons). Fans on this board go on about why the gates should be bigger - well, clearly, if more people attend a game then there will be more who have to leave early for their own private reasons. Above all, it is a free country and people are entitled to do as they please - and in this era of universal personal communications (ie mobile phones) more people can be contacted during a game with reasons to leave earlier than they might have anticipated than at any time in the past.
What is more irritating is people arriving late, and then - instead of quickly taking their seat - stand around in front of you blocking the view. But, worse of all, is the twit with a mobile phone - gyrating their arms at some distant part of the ground insisting that they are the one with the hat on and why can't you see them!!.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
Les Brechin
February 11, 2013, 9:56pm

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,645
Gold Stars: 168
I've only left a game early once when we were 4-0 down at Barnsley and it had been pissing down all game.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
brad_gtfc
February 11, 2013, 10:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
To be honest, if people pay the money to get in they shouldn't feel bad about leaving early.
I've only ever left once early, that was Chesterfield away, we was 3-0 down an awful. We ended up pulling 2 back, I'd never leave early again as although it didn't happen I could've missed out. Just to add, that wasn't my choice to leave early, was the lad who was driving.
On Saturday I wandered down towards near the gate at the lower smiths and could see the game then was pretty much 1st out soon as the whistle went but thats because i was on a night shift and to get to work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
Tinymariner
February 11, 2013, 10:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
I wish people would stop posting their own opinions and started to agree to just one persons view. This would be a happy board then.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 58
mariner91
February 11, 2013, 10:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,250
Gold Stars: 253
Only ever left one game early and that was the 3-0 loss to Torquay the year we went down. One of the most gutting performances I've ever seen.

Looking forward to a brighter future now Fenty has gone.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 58
TonySmith
February 11, 2013, 10:45pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +964
Gold Stars: 11
  I've always wondered about this too. If I didn't have the full two hours it takes to watch the game, I wouldn't be there in the first place. I always assumed some people are more bothered about not getting stuck in traffic than about watching the whole game they paid to watch. It doesn't irritate me, but I do think it's funny when a game takes a dramatic turn towards the end and all the early leavers miss it. Especially if their team scores a winning goal or turns it around or something and a bunch of them come scurrying back. I wonder if they are so anxious to leave early next time when that happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Why do people leave the ground early?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.