Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Signings that excited you but turned out poor
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Signings that excited you but turned out poor

This thread currently has 18,857 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
FishOutOfWater
February 5, 2013, 5:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,563
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from grimsby pete
Ray Lancaster was supposed to be good but the sea air effected him was the excuse ,

Alick Jeffery was a wonder boy while at Donny, broke his leg 3 times so by the time he came to us on loan or trial he was poor,

I never knew Alick Jeffery was with us Pete

My uncle used to go to the same school as him near Donny and as you say he was their glory boy - still held in high regard I think as they've got his statue outside the Keepmoat

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 95
barralad
February 5, 2013, 6:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from FishOutOfWater
Jimmy Gilligan

And to think we paid out more or less the same amount to bring him in as we received from Norwich for Kev Drinkell who he replaced  

THIS:

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 95
barralad
February 5, 2013, 6:07pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from arryarryarry

When the registrar said sign here.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 95
moosey_club
February 5, 2013, 6:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,240
Gold Stars: 226
Michael Leary........seriously........there was the article that said he used to watch Town as a lad and this was something of a homecoming for him.....touted as a tough tackling enforcer in the middle got me all Alan Pouton.........such thoughts ended within 10 minutes of seeing him in action at some obscure place in pre season....on the doomed Errea Devon tour possibly against a Belgium league team made up of yank scholarship players......

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 95
LondonMariner43
February 5, 2013, 6:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
I am going to be controversial here but I have a sneaking feeling that Ross Hannah might end up on this list.  Its a while since fans have clamoured so strongly for a player to be signed and I fear he may not live up to expectations.

Should there be a thread for signings that didn't look that interesting initially but turned out great.....?  Obviously a central defender signed from Halifax reserves comes top of the list.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 95
shotandcursed
February 5, 2013, 7:00pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +19 / -33
Approval: -1
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I am going to be controversial here but I have a sneaking feeling that Ross Hannah might end up on this list.  Its a while since fans have clamoured so strongly for a player to be signed and I fear he may not live up to expectations.

Should there be a thread for signings that didn't look that interesting initially but turned out great.....?  Obviously a central defender signed from Halifax reserves comes top of the list.

Pre-internet bullshit. . . Better times.. . Sir Paul of Futchester, legend is an over used word but. . . . !

"Did the mods take this into account, when aaron slobbers all over threads with his garbage and attention seeking posts ( though not always) that when he gets put in his place, he could abuse his position and delete comments and block members- no offence but he's the sort of mammary that would do this. the whole decision is beyond belief imo" Hagrid

"Mi5 has limited resources so like it or not the EDL if it was clever enough would plug the gap." Marinerz93

"twit!" Super Clive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 95
newfootballer
February 5, 2013, 7:20pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

I never knew Alick Jeffery was with us Pete

My uncle used to go to the same school as him near Donny and as you say he was their glory boy - still held in high regard I think as they've got his statue outside the Keepmoat

Alick Jefrery never played for G.T.F.C. played against him myself exceptional footballer.
NEWFOOTBALLER

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 95
Garth
February 5, 2013, 7:21pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Des Hamilton was the guy who cost Celtic one million pounds and was the biggest failure of all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 5, 2013, 7:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Saw alec jeffrey play against town for lincoln in late 60's think he scored and they won. It was the era when we were really bad just before bobby kennedy. I am sure older fans will remember when we had tallest and shortest players in football league, dave boylen and gordon walker. Honestly big gordon made elding look like shearer. We had some poor players duncliffe at full back, who came with hickman fron brighton was poor and jimmy bloomer was another poor full back til worthington started playing there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 5, 2013, 7:34pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,685
Gold Stars: 73
Saw alec jeffrey play against town for lincoln in late 60's think he scored and they won. It was the era when we were really bad just before bobby kennedy. I am sure older fans will remember when we had tallest and shortest players in football league, dave boylen and gordon walker. Honestly big gordon made elding look like shearer. We had some poor players duncliffe at full back, who came with hickman fron brighton was poor and jimmy bloomer was another poor full back til worthington started playing there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Signings that excited you but turned out poor

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.