Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Famous players seen and played at Blundell Park
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 29 Guests

Famous players seen and played at Blundell Park

This thread currently has 19,991 views. Print
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Badger57
January 26, 2013, 5:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,896
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Mimma, good call for Joe Hart.  I was going to add him to my contributions last night.  

Bobby Kennnedy was a player manager as well.

Allan Simonsen was a very talented player. Built like Messi. At 5 foot 5, not much bigger than our Dave.   He was Euro Footballer of the year. I used to watch in Germany play for Gladbach. He won 2 Eufa cups there.  Also starred for Barca.  I was stationed nearby and we got cheap tickets. Saw Keegan play for Hamburg there.  

I googled the next bit.  Good quiz question:  "Who is the only player to have scored in the following 3 finals:  Eurepean Cup, Eufa Cup and Cup-winners Cup?  Yes, our friend from Charlton who played at Blundell Park.

Talking of Keegan, did he or Ray Clemence ever play at BP for Scunny?  I know we beat them 7-1 with both playing, but not sure where.  (Another good quiz question there).  

Badger57, you are right.  A good memory for football facts or as old as me.  I was thinking about this last night.  Post in haste.  I know a Barry Wagstaff.  Yes, it is "Ken".  

I  nearly added other players from that excellent Hull team, but they are not as well known.  "Houghton and Chilton? I "think" that Hull might have had 5 players that scored 20 goals each in one season or 100 between them.  Only a distance memory.  I remember listening to a very good FA Cup match against Chelsea. Quarter final?

Yes, PROBABLY same age ish! LOL! Anyway, Ken Houghton and, um, um, Thingy Chilton along with Ken Wagstaff and others formed a formidable side in the late 60's, early 70's? They regularly featured along with Ipswich and Norwich on Anglia TV's show on a Sunday afternoon. Match Of The Week I think? Went to see them one Saturday when they were pushing for promotion to the 1st Division , instead of Town who were also at home that day. Shame on me!!!!     Hull drew 0-0 with fellow promotion seekers Cardiff City in a very boring game whilst Town won but can't remember who they were playing. Like I said, Shame on me!!!!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 76
shotandcursed
January 26, 2013, 5:21pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +19 / -33
Approval: -1
. . . and you know what. . . . I wouldn't swap any of that lot for a Futcher, a Cunnington, a Waters, a Ford,  a Lever, a Cummings, a Macca . . Never!

UTM

"Did the mods take this into account, when aaron slobbers all over threads with his garbage and attention seeking posts ( though not always) that when he gets put in his place, he could abuse his position and delete comments and block members- no offence but he's the sort of mammary that would do this. the whole decision is beyond belief imo" Hagrid

"Mi5 has limited resources so like it or not the EDL if it was clever enough would plug the gap." Marinerz93

"twit!" Super Clive
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 76
steve1971
January 26, 2013, 5:35pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Quoted from RalphFilthy
we should extend this to ex-great players who were managers when they came here - in which case kenny daglish would be worth a mention. Any others??

Steve Bruce

No as a manager, but Didn't Alan Kennedy play here for Wrexham

If all the cars in England were placed end to end on a long road, some sharp object in a Type-R would still try to pass them

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 76
jaygy
January 26, 2013, 6:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +2,351
Gold Stars: 6
Ian rush in a friendly for leeds in 1995 came on as sub if i remember correctly? His first game for them too i think. Was my first ever town game
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 76
Pie face
January 27, 2013, 3:13pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Jimmy Gilligan............ What a girl private

Jimmy Gilligan
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 76
moss_side_mariner
January 27, 2013, 6:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
robin friday

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 76
newfootballer
April 27, 2013, 4:07pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Nobby Stiles when he was at Preston North End as a player coach to Bobby Charlton who also was the player Manager and who played against us when we played at Deepdale Preston later on that season.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 76
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Famous players seen and played at Blundell Park

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.