Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Your top 5 Greatest Town games of all time !
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

Your top 5 Greatest Town games of all time !

This thread currently has 13,224 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
January 25, 2013, 11:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
One of the best, Town 7 Darlington 2
Town 6 0 up at half time.
Can't remember exact year but in the 1980s.
Also went to rochdale about the same time when town where fighting for the fourth division championship and came from 2 0 down to win 5 2.
Its the only game I have ever been to where the fans changed ends at half time.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 65
louth_in_the_south
January 26, 2013, 12:02am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,654
Gold Stars: 94
All the above obviously but one to throw into the mix is Stockport at home fa cup think about 99 ? Can't be arsesd to look it up . 2 1 down going into injury time . Lower findus empty then brad Allen scored twice . Loyal Louth bouncing around on our own . Shame on you gy boys !!

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 65
tashee69
January 26, 2013, 1:46am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +958
Gold Stars: 23
Les - After Chesterfield we played Sheff United at home.
Relegation Plaice, it was 1978-79 season, Mike Lester scored 4 and missed a pen !!
Louth - it was Livvo who got both goals.....I was bouncing too when we equilised never mind when we won it  

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 65
Kris2
January 26, 2013, 2:51am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
It's going to be mentioned and has been tons but yeah the win against Liverpool. Heart stopping every time Coyne performed heroics and then the most exciting finish to top it all off.

Also a random game against Notts Forrest i always remember being really good. I believe the final score was 4:3 to us and they had Beasent in goal. Just remember i completely lost my voice from all the shouting during an end to end game.  
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 65
tashee69
January 26, 2013, 3:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Kris2
It's going to be mentioned and has been tons but yeah the win against Liverpool. Heart stopping every time Coyne performed heroics and then the most exciting finish to top it all off.

Also a random game against Notts Forrest i always remember being really good. I believe the final score was 4:3 to us and they had Beasent in goal. Just remember i completely lost my voice from all the shouting during an end to end game.  

Got a feeling Beasant got sent off that match and we went 4-2 up, conceded to make it 4-3 and went into panic mode.

GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 65
louth_in_the_south
January 26, 2013, 7:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,654
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from tashee69
Relegation Plaice, it was 1978-79 season, Mike Lester scored 4 and missed a pen !!
Louth - it was Livvo who got both goals.....I was bouncing too when we equilised never mind when we won it  

It was Bradley Allen ! £10er on it if u want

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 65
Les Brechin
January 26, 2013, 7:40am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from tashee69

Yeah I know, but after 90 minutes when Chesterfield were 2-1 up in the replay, they were announcing details of travel and ticket details for their fans.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 65
ginnywings
January 26, 2013, 8:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Too many games to mention and most of them have been covered. The comeback against Barnsley is a particular favourite.

A couple of games that stick in the memory for me were actually deafeats but the opposition were superb. The game when West Ham took a very good Grimsby side apart and David Cross scored 4 for them. Think we had a measly home defensive record up to that point, only letting in a handful of goals all season 'til the Hammers arrived.

Also a Ray Houghton inspired Fulham absolutely played us off the pitch one season, They were like a well oiled machine.

Another game that sticks in my mind and never gets a mention is the 3-1 home win against a very good Coventry side in the League cup. The pass and move football we played that night was some of the best i have ever witnessed. Remember being sat up in the Findus stand watching us drag them all over the place. Fantastic.

Anyone know if any footage exists of that game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 65
Meza
January 26, 2013, 10:07am

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Ginny is that the one were Birtles scored from a freekick if so I was stood on the bar in the ponnie and watched the ball curl into the top corner it was epic, but didn't we lose the 2nd leg 2 / 3 nil

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 65
tashee69
January 26, 2013, 1:05pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

It was Bradley Allen ! £10er on it if u want

Don't want to take your money but Rothmans Year Book states Livvo 2, Allen 1

Just looked at the goal times and both scored in the last minute Livvo got the equiliser and Allen the winner.

Private Message
Reply: 59 - 65
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Your top 5 Greatest Town games of all time !

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.