18 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
September 11, 2012, 12:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,469
Gold Stars: 74
Just watched ITV's the truth of Hillsborough.  I can recall watching the events unfold live on TV (I was supposed to be going to that match, working in London at the time and got called into work, was I p***ed off at the time).  As a football fan I hope the truth goes out , the families of the 96 who died on that day, deserved some closure.  I hope they get the truth from the Hillsborough Panel Report, due out shortly.
I can recall on many times in the eighties early nineties how the old bill treated Town supporters when on away days following town.  Chesterfield sticks in my mind, old bill rounding up town supporter's two hours before kick-off, herding them into the open terraces behind the goal, on a very hot day. Supporter's fainting in the heat and old bill would not open the emergency gates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 12:25am

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Just argued on facebook with someone who still believes it was the fans fault. The fans just wanted to get in and out of the crush taking place at the gates. How is that their fault? They went where the police told them to go. And going by the documentary the police ignored cries for help before they opened the gates and even when they did open the gates they still ignored the cries for help. The truth needs to be told to let the people who still blame the fans know that it wasn't their fault at all. R.I.P. 96.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 173
Rick12
September 11, 2012, 12:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from The Yard Dog
As a football fan I hope the truth goes out ,
so do I

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 173
hertfordshire mariner
September 11, 2012, 12:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from Gary Haddock
Just argued on facebook with someone who still believes it was the fans fault. The fans just wanted to get in and out of the crush taking place at the gates. How is that their fault? They went where the police told them to go. And going by the documentary the police ignored cries for help before they opened the gates and even when they did open the gates they still ignored the cries for help. The truth needs to be told to let the people who still blame the fans know that it wasn't their fault at all. R.I.P. 96.

how anyone can blame the fans is beyond me. the police were fully to blame. next time you see the person, kick ten bells of excrement out of him and then tell hims hes to blame.

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 1:05am

Brandy Drinker

how anyone can blame the fans is beyond me. the police were fully to blame.

I know, I agree with you, this is why the truth needs to be told and published.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 1:07am

Brandy Drinker

how anyone can blame the fans is beyond me. the police were fully to blame. next time you see the person, kick ten bells of excrement out of him and then tell hims hes to blame.

tempted.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 173
hertfordshire mariner
September 11, 2012, 1:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from Gary Haddock

I know, I agree with you, this is why the truth needs to be told and published.

i cant belive its taken over 20 years.

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 1:18am

Brandy Drinker

i cant belive its taken over 20 years.

same here, my dad use to follow town and Liverpool back then, one week he'd be at a Liverpool game the next week he'd be at a town game, don't know if he was there or not with my mum being pregnent with me and my twin, he never really talks about it much but goes mad when anyone tries blaming the fans.

Listening to one of the victim's familly members nd they every year when they hold the memorial it's like having a funeral every year. That must be hell for them, especially knowing that the real truths hasn't been published yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 173
marinette
September 11, 2012, 6:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Of course, at the time, there was a fair bit of trouble surrounding football in general, relating to the behaviour of some so-called fans, so it's probably not surprising that the police were unsympathetic to people who wanted to get onto the pitch. It's clear to me that those police weren't aware of the seriousness of the situation or of the tragedy that was unfolding.  I think the main problem was lack of communication between the police / stewards outside the ground and those inside it.  But anyway, in my mind I relate Hillsborough to football violence - I see the two as interconnected, but not in an obvious way.  I detest the stupid glorification that we hear now of the violence surrounding football before Hillsborough - in my opinion, that violence led indirectly to real tragedy in the end.  If people (and I'm referring to the minority who were always looking for trouble) had behaved like civilised human beings, there would have been no need to put up those cages to segregate supporters and it would have been so much easier for the victims to escape from the Leppings Lane End.

The truth about Hillsborough has always been out there - it depends who you listened to and believed.  I have lived in Liverpool in the past and I have friends who survived Hillsborough; their version of events was infinitely more believable than one put out by the scumbag Sun filth.  I read (on the BBC website, I think) a recent report about a former Sun journalist who wrote an article about Hillsborough at the time.  He is now saying that his words were taken and badly twisted by his editor, and given a headline something like 'The Truth about Hillsborough', when really it wasn't the truth at all.  The journalist was horrified (he said), but just didn't have the power or the guts to confront those in charge of the newspaper at the time.  

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 173
STB
September 11, 2012, 7:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
I attended that game, possibly one of the worst moments of my life.
In my opinion, it was a terrible accident.
RIP to all who died.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 173
aaron rattray
September 11, 2012, 7:39am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
I watched it on itv and as a Liverpool fan i shall be eagerly awaiting the verdict tomorrow, to be fair to pc david duckenfield he didn't mean for people to die and it isn't his fault he was so inexperienced, but he shouldn't of lied, also one person who lost his 2 daughters went to get a coffee and went into a side pen, that probably saved his life, reminds of alfreton away last season

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 173
Marinerz93
September 11, 2012, 8:20am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Overall blame lays with the Police for opening the gates no doubt but those pushing to get in and be honest it happened at every big game including ones for Town are to blame too.  I don't see why an inquiry was needed.  There is blame on both sides, partially with those fans who were saying heave and pushing and the majority of blame lays at the feet of the Police for not policing those out side the ground and opening the gates.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 173
Super Clive
September 11, 2012, 8:36am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from Gary Haddock

It seems you argue alot on Facebook, Jeremy Kyle's ideal guest?  

I agree though it was never the fans fault.
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 173
RoboCod
September 11, 2012, 8:53am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Marinerz93
Overall blame lays with the Police for opening the gates no doubt but those pushing to get in and be honest it happened at every big game including ones for Town are to blame too.  I don't see why an inquiry was needed.  There is blame on both sides, partially with those fans who were saying heave and pushing and the majority of blame lays at the feet of the Police for not policing those out side the ground and opening the gates.

The serious issues need addressing, if it's what the families of those who lost loved ones want then that's a good enough reason for one I think. The blame that was laid at the fans feet which was later disproven, the missing CCTV tape, the awful conclusion that the fatalities had all stopped breathing by 3.15, later disproven, the decision to kick off on time while a huge crowd was still waiting to get in through an ancient turnstyle system into a ground lacking a valid safety certificate, the one single ambulance that made it through and a whole load of other mistakes and quite deliberate actions that compounded this tragedy all of which are now officially documented and viewable.

Hopefully this will all be finally addressed and the families at least can move on a little and the yearly blame game will stop. That's all that one can realistically hope for.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 173
Marinerz93
September 11, 2012, 8:56am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from RoboCod

The serious issues need addressing, if it's what the families of those who lost loved ones want then that's a good enough reason for one I think. The blame that was laid at the fans feet which was later disproven, the missing CCTV tape, the awful conclusion that the fatalities had all stopped breathing by 3.15, later disproven, the decision to kick off on time while a huge crowd was still waiting to get in through an ancient turnstyle system into a ground lacking a valid safety certificate, the one single ambulance that made it through and a whole load of other mistakes and quite deliberate actions that compounded this tragedy all of which are now officially documented and viewable.

Hopefully this will all be finally addressed and the families at least can move on a little and the yearly blame game will stop. That's all that one can realistically hope for.

Fair points RoboCod an excellently put across.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 173
Alfie
September 11, 2012, 8:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from aaron rattray
I watched it on itv and as a Liverpool fan i shall be eagerly awaiting the verdict tomorrow, to be fair to pc david duckenfield he didn't mean for people to die and it isn't his fault he was so inexperienced, but he shouldn't of lied, also one person who lost his 2 daughters went to get a coffee and went into a side pen, that probably saved his life, reminds of alfreton away last season

My lord, you're a moron.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 173
crusty ole pie
September 11, 2012, 10:36am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,334
Gold Stars: 62
I always feel that the main fault was the design of the stand limitless amount of people entering by a tunnel onto a top feeding stand pure recipe for disaster and the fencing fans were treat no better then convicts in those days
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 173
louth_in_the_south
September 11, 2012, 10:48am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,656
Gold Stars: 94
One of the worst parts of the hillsborough tragedy was seeing hundreds , if not more , Liverpool fans jumping the turnstiles at the 2 European cup finals they got to after . I would've thought that Liverpool fans would've been the last to do this with such a tragedy in living memory for those fans .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 11, 2012, 11:10am
Guest User
It wasn't the Liverpool fans' fault. . .

Heysel. . . That was their fault!
Reply: 18 - 173
ROKERITE
September 11, 2012, 12:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from marinette
Of course, at the time, there was a fair bit of trouble surrounding football in general, relating to the behaviour of some so-called fans, so it's probably not surprising that the police were unsympathetic to people who wanted to get onto the pitch. It's clear to me that those police weren't aware of the seriousness of the situation or of the tragedy that was unfolding.  I think the main problem was lack of communication between the police / stewards outside the ground and those inside it.  But anyway, in my mind I relate Hillsborough to football violence - I see the two as interconnected, but not in an obvious way.  I detest the stupid glorification that we hear now of the violence surrounding football before Hillsborough - in my opinion, that violence led indirectly to real tragedy in the end.  If people (and I'm referring to the minority who were always looking for trouble) had behaved like civilised human beings, there would have been no need to put up those cages to segregate supporters and it would have been so much easier for the victims to escape from the Leppings Lane End.

A very sensible post Marinette.
It seems to me there is a vindictive desire amongst many to find someone (preferably the police or government) to blame for the tragedy.There isn't someONE to blame, there are many, and none had any idea of the horrific result of their actions.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 173
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 11, 2012, 2:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
It doesn't do to believe everything you see on the telly. Two people can watch a piece of CCTV and interpret it in completely different ways. Last night's programme was about the tragic victims and their families and I wish it had been left at that. To start pre-judging what will be revealed tomorrow was wrong in my opinion and just stirred up the ill-feeling.

One good thing about the programme was that it mentioned how football was different then. Hillsborough as a ground was no less safe than Anfield or Old Trafford or Villa Park. Marinette's point about the fences is important. They were there because of the trouble caused by hooligans and they were all around every ground. Up to about 1962 there was no trouble at football games and the only danger was from accidental crowd crushing through overcrowding usually on the way in or out. Even then it was rare. If you think of how many people used the steps at the back of the Barrett Stand when average gates at BP were 10000+, there were no problems. People just waited. Different world.

It was also normal by the 1970s for a lot of young men to go to big games deliberately without a ticket and force their way in by climbing the gates and walls or rushing turnstiles in a gang so that at least some of them would make it before the law could stop them. Liverpool fans were not the only ones but it is daft to deny this didn't happen. Surging was also normal. I can remember being terrified at the City Ground in Nottingham when a huge surge of latecoming Forest fans hurled us down the terraces at the Trent End and onto the cage fence. Yet there wasn't a big crowd and I had been in the same place 15 years before with no bother at all for full house matches when Forest were at the top of the old Div 1.

Whatever is said tomorrow cannot bring back the dead. Bad decisions were made by the police, we all know that. The ground was unsafe, we all know that too. I hope though that people will also think about the way football supporters, including Liverpool ones, behaved at the time and not whitewash 100% of the blame onto the law.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 173
BIGChris
September 11, 2012, 2:17pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Well said RRFC.
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 173
grimsby pete
September 11, 2012, 2:48pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
The problem was people were getting crushed at the turnstiles,

Opening the side gate was the correct thing to do,

BUT

What should have happened next is, the police direct the fans to the two end paddocks which were less than half full,

This did not happen and most of the fans just poured into the tunnel unrestricted and then tragedy,

I was at a Sheff Wed v Man Utd game a year before this happened and I could see there was a big danger of crushing occurring then,

This time the police kepy an end paddock empty and was making sure the middle was full before they open the other paddocks,

I said to a copper the stand was full, he replied, " We can get a few more in before we have to open the side paddock, "

I said, Well you will have to open it in a minute because there are another few thousand outside,  A few minutes later when people were getting a bit squashed he open the end paddock,

So my son in law and myself went in and stood in safety,

Why did this tragedy have to happen when a bit of common sense could have prevented it ?

RIP the 96.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 173
cod.gtfc
September 11, 2012, 2:55pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1

I thought you was only 16, how did you watch it? unless you mean you watched the programme "the truth about hillsborough"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 173
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 11, 2012, 3:03pm
Special Brew Drinker

Why did this tragedy have to happen when a bit of common sense could have prevented it ?

RIP the 96.[/quote]

That's very true Pete. I'd just ask a question - why would a policeman have the key to a gate inside the ground? As far as my experience is concerned the police could ask for a gate to be opened or whatever but it was down to the club to actually do it. The police responsibility was outside of the ground so shouldn't club stewards have been responsible for shepherding people into empty pens?

In those days as Marinette said, things were different and I think the police were there for public order, that is to keep rival fans segregated inside & outside the ground and deal with pitch invaders. They were not there for public safety matters except in an advisory capacity so something like this disaster would be outside their training and experience and maybe even their orders. It doesn't excuse bad decisions but it puts a perspective on it that people who weren't around at the time perhaps don't realise.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 173
grimsby pete
September 11, 2012, 3:04pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,779
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from cod.gtfc

I thought you was only 16, how did you watch it? unless you mean you watched the programme "the truth about hillsborough"

I thought I saw arron at that game.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 3:21pm

Brandy Drinker

RIP the 96.

That's very true Pete. I'd just ask a question - why would a policeman have the key to a gate inside the ground? As far as my experience is concerned the police could ask for a gate to be opened or whatever but it was down to the club to actually do it. The police responsibility was outside of the ground so shouldn't club stewards have been responsible for shepherding people into empty pens?

[/quote]

that's very good point, and hopefully the whole truth comes out, because it's been up for debate for 23 years now and it must hell for the famillies of the victims.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 173
1mickylyons
September 11, 2012, 5:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Emotive subject and indeed the truth needs to come out but sometimes people should simply look in the mirror  and accept responsability for there own actions I remember watching the FA Cup Final that Season and before kick off loads of ticketless Liverpool supporters were cadging there way in.Tickets and capacities were set in place for a reason and despite Hillsborough some chose to ignore and could have caused a further tragedy in a decaying Wembley.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 173
Grim up north
September 11, 2012, 6:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +688
I used to split watching Town and Chelsea and remember going not long after when it was still a crime scene ,to see the damage was frightening but as people have pointed out ,at that time Liverpool and a fair few other teams were known to turn up late without tickets and rush the gates , not the sole cause but a lot of things were at fault ,,not just the police.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 173
grimps
September 11, 2012, 7:00pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,092
Gold Stars: 46
Like all disasters this was caused by many diffrent factors ,Police ,Ground and stewards,the F.A for not giving the scousers the kop as they had the previous season,and of course the Scouse fans.
the police like they still do to day closed in on themselves and made sure their arses was coverd ,lied for each other and as in so many other cases against the police they ''lost evidence ''.
The scouse fans never accepted any blame for their own fans which  without late comers ticketless and drunk fans the disaster wouldnt have happened.
Ive never heard them screaming for justice for the 30 odd killed at Heysels but they do like a bit of a campaign ,protest or minutes silence at any opportunity for any other reason.
At the end of the day it was a accident and the biggest tribute ever paid to those familys was the way we got our act togther after this,we built some of the best safest all seater staduims in the world and made this the safest place in the world to watch football.
Theres your justice now let sleeping dogs lie
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 173
1mickylyons
September 11, 2012, 7:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps
Like all disasters this was caused by many diffrent factors ,Police ,Ground and stewards,the F.A for not giving the scousers the kop as they had the previous season,and of course the Scouse fans.
the police like they still do to day closed in on themselves and made sure their arses was coverd ,lied for each other and as in so many other cases against the police they ''lost evidence ''.
The scouse fans never accepted any blame for their own fans which  without late comers ticketless and drunk fans the disaster wouldnt have happened.
Ive never heard them screaming for justice for the 30 odd killed at Heysels but they do like a bit of a campaign ,protest or minutes silence at any opportunity for any other reason.
At the end of the day it was a accident and the biggest tribute ever paid to those familys was the way we got our act togther after this,we built some of the best safest all seater staduims in the world and made this the safest place in the world to watch football.
Theres your justice now let sleeping dogs lie

Agree with most of your post but if you were Trevor Hicks and had lost 2 daughters im sure you would want justice as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 173
grimps
September 11, 2012, 7:31pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Agree with most of your post but if you were Trevor Hicks and had lost 2 daughters im sure you would want justice as well.

I dont know what justice they are seeking now mate ?
nobody who got up that morning wanted anybody to die later in the day,the only comfort these people can take now is that they know it can never happen again.
Id have been more drunk off if i had lost family in the Ibrox disaster which resulted in nothing changing and the same things happening again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 173
1mickylyons
September 11, 2012, 7:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from grimps

nobody who got up that morning wanted anybody to die later in the day,the only comfort these people can take now is that they know it can never happen again.
Id have been more drunk off if i had lost family in the Ibrox disaster which resulted in nothing changing and the same things happening again.

You and me as kids would have been told to go and stand at the bottom of the Pontoon terracing and we would have been fairly safe and in those days of terracing you would have headed to the bottom of the stand to be safe in most grounds.As a direct result of that gate opening and fans going through a tunnel blindly onto the centre pen those girls stood at the bottom  died and somebody should be found guilty of manslaughter.The guy in charge of the Police easily had the power to put the kick off back half an hour or take whatever steps he needed to control the crowd and the fact that he failed is a criminal act.I still shudder every time I read articles on so called Police Intelligence realting to football it`s a myth looking at it through Town fans eyes Burton Albion most Town fans knew weeks in advance what was heading there how come Plod never?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 173
Grim up north
September 11, 2012, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
A Mate of mine who was there at the time was in that pen and did exactly that ,got there early and went straight to the front ,luckily for him they weren't happy with the view so they decided to go towards the back so that they could see both goals.Good points from Gimps and your right as well Mickeylyons.The good thing is I take my daughter now to watch both Town and Chelsea and feel a lot safer today than when I was going at her age.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 173
GrimRob
September 11, 2012, 8:00pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
I remember the whole period vividly. I was watching the TV at the time. It was one of those moments you never forget and I read the (quality) press avidly is the days that followed. I don't think you can put 100% blame on anyone though so I always object to headlines presenting anything as The Truth - it's just not that clear cut with so many people involved. In any crowd of that size there are bound to be people not behaving entirely legally and there would have been people who were in various degrees of intoxication (like at any football match). I'd put 90% of the blame of the police, and the rest between the stadia we had at the time and maybe a few percentage down to the fans.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 34 - 173
costa del cleethorpes
September 12, 2012, 8:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / -3
A pal of mine who lived near hillsborough said the scousers behaviour that day was the worst he had witnessed from a set of fans at a semi final, the police got the big decisions wrong however the scousers should shoulder some of the blame rip 96
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 173
RoboCod
September 12, 2012, 8:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
The blame has been attributed, some fans behaviour contributed but on the day all police communication and order broke down. That was the official legal conclusion. This inquest is about finding the hidden documents and how much of the police report at the time was fabricated. In other words, it's uncovering a cover up.  It's not ot trying to apportion blame for the situation that arose, it's done that. Even the PM at the time, Thatcher was badly misled into what happened. What hope for the families in getting the truth?

I hope today results in a clean sweep of the whole affair and is the final chapter in this tragic story.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 173
Alfie
September 12, 2012, 8:33am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +22 / -11
Approval: +159
Quoted from RoboCod
The blame has been attributed, some fans behaviour contributed but on the day all police communication and order broke down. That was the official legal conclusion. This inquest is about finding the hidden documents and how much of the police report at the time was fabricated. In other words, it's uncovering a cover up.  It's not ot trying to apportion blame for the situation that arose, it's done that. Even the PM at the time, Thatcher was badly misled into what happened. What hope for the families in getting the truth?

I hope today results in a clean sweep of the whole affair and is the final chapter in this tragic story.

Absolutely no chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 173
RoboCod
September 12, 2012, 8:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Alfie

Absolutely no chance.

You're probably right. I'm sure all of the above will be rehashed and picked apart again next April on every forum. Todays findings are for the families though, and it's been a long time coming. Regardless of individuals views I hope that they are at least satisfied with todays report. I think satisfied is the best you could hope for after all of this time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 173
BIGChris
September 12, 2012, 9:04am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
There have been some very balanced views posted on this thread. Most state that there are several groups who, in hindsight, acted poorly, whether they be fans, police or goverment. Probably not deliberately, but made errors of judgements and didnt consider the consequences.

I suspect it will become a political issue and a blame game about the cover up. Whilst not right, covers ups of varying degrees happen on a very regular basis in government and business. They withold 'sensitive' information that they consider could inflame situations. It is the way of the world but this cost innocent people their lives.

One father of victim said in a TV interview this morning that an apology wont make any difference to him. It cannot change anything. He did say however that if one family got closure then it would be a good thing.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 173
aaron rattray
September 12, 2012, 9:04am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod

You're probably right. I'm sure all of the above will be rehashed and picked apart again next April on every forum. Todays findings are for the families though, and it's been a long time coming. Regardless of individuals views I hope that they are at least satisfied with todays report. I think satisfied is the best you could hope for after all of this time.

2:30pm they are made public, the families see them before us which is understandable

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 173
nightrider
September 12, 2012, 9:23am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Theyve still not learnt from Hillsborough. At the final in Athens their fans were jumping barriers, forging tickets and generally running riot. Thousands got in without tickets.
Luckily they'd only held the Olympics there a couple of years before, everthing was new so safety was good.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 173
newfootballer
September 12, 2012, 10:36am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
  Was working at L.O.R Refinery at the time of the tragic football match and the store lad was a valiant Liverpool supporter went to every match he could a  happy go lucky lively young man.

When I heard about the disaster I was praying that he was not caught up in the area where it all happened, so I was releived to see him in his usual space in his store the next day.

He was very quiet and subdued as you could understand,  the true story had not come out about how the Police had handled the whole situation when he did speak he could only say a few words and burst into tears the guy had to be sent home because he was obviously deeply traumatised.

Do you know he has never got over it when he came back to work was not the same guy at all and would not talk about it at all it really was that upsetting to him.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 173
Maringer
September 12, 2012, 10:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184
Quoted from BIGChris

One father of victim said in a TV interview this morning that an apology wont make any difference to him. It cannot change anything. He did say however that if one family got closure then it would be a good thing.

I understand that some of the various families involved are expecting that there will be enough damning information released to have an inquest opened, which could lead to prosecutions...

This thing is going to rumble on for some time yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 173
codcheeky
September 12, 2012, 11:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
The biggest question to ask now is why in a supposedly open democratic society it has taken so long for facts to become available, this is not a matter of national security and there is no reason whoever was to blame for anything said or done at the time to be kept secret... on the contrary if the mistakes are hidden how can things be made safer in the future
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 12, 2012, 11:37am
Guest User
All of this talk about fans arriving late, drunk and in large numbers was dispelled by the Taylor report and identified as a red herring.

When you recogniose the over involvement of News International with the police which has come to light over the last year through Leveson, you have to wonder whether the incorrect headline that LFC fans were robbing the pockets of the dead that day printed in the sun had anything to do with the police aswell!!!

There will be evidence that the police have doctored paperwork coming out later today as detailked in thnis morning's independant, papers have gone missing and all for the police to protect their own. The guardian are suggetsing that there will come to lighgt evidence about a 'black-ops' police department set up purely to media-spin against these fans and others in society.

We are living in a police state, Tomlinson was an absolute sham, the policing of demonstrations by police officers with their numbers removed from their shoulders as far back as the miners strike is all too common place nowadays.  Police officers who are under investigation for misdemeanours at work typically go off sick and are retired before any investoigation in to their conduct takes place.

Will the families get closure after today?  In my opinion, it is very unlikely.  I think their will be more anger when it comes to light that there has been a masisve attempt by the police to cover up the truth and smear the Liverpool supporters for what happened on that terrible day.
Reply: 45 - 173
cod.gtfc
September 12, 2012, 12:45pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
So the report is pretty damning on the police and their big coverup then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 173
RoboCod
September 12, 2012, 12:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It's looking very bleak for the police behind the original enquiry. Some have said there were further revelations to come, but 164 statements 'significantly altered' ? The dead tested for alcohol, those with none in their system were then checked against a national crime database. Just on pure decency alone it's awful to think anyone would attempt to sully the reputations of so many men, women and children in an effort to wriggle off the hook, but how on earth could they have made it ring true anyway.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 173
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2012, 12:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from 1054
All of this talk about fans arriving late, drunk and in large numbers was dispelled by the Taylor report and identified as a red herring.

When you recogniose the over involvement of News International with the police which has come to light over the last year through Leveson, you have to wonder whether the incorrect headline that LFC fans were robbing the pockets of the dead that day printed in the sun had anything to do with the police aswell!!!

There will be evidence that the police have doctored paperwork coming out later today as detailked in thnis morning's independant, papers have gone missing and all for the police to protect their own. The guardian are suggetsing that there will come to lighgt evidence about a 'black-ops' police department set up purely to media-spin against these fans and others in society.

We are living in a police state, Tomlinson was an absolute sham, the policing of demonstrations by police officers with their numbers removed from their shoulders as far back as the miners strike is all too common place nowadays.  Police officers who are under investigation for misdemeanours at work typically go off sick and are retired before any investoigation in to their conduct takes place.

Will the families get closure after today?  In my opinion, it is very unlikely.  I think their will be more anger when it comes to light that there has been a masisve attempt by the police to cover up the truth and smear the Liverpool supporters for what happened on that terrible day.

I've got to say as much as you wind people up on here RBOH, imho this has to be your best ever post. Can't fault your logic at all...
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 48 - 173
aaron rattray
September 12, 2012, 12:58pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
a fantastic statement by david cameron and ed miliband, david cameron said that no blame is attached to liverpool fans, FINALLY JUSTICE FOR THE 96!

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 173
Southernboy
September 12, 2012, 1:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
Police cover up - attempts to alter the statements - statements removed (over 116 that questioned the role of the police) and an unsafe stadium and so on and so on.

A catalogue of errors and terrible attitudes towards people that happened to be football fans let alone talking about the press and government.

RIP 96  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 173
aaron rattray
September 12, 2012, 1:10pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
my respect for david cameron has gone up through the roof as i suspect many others will regard david cameron much higher now

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 173
Hagrid
September 12, 2012, 1:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,388
Gold Stars: 529
my respect for david cameron has gone up through the roof as i suspect many others will regard david cameron much higher now

not at all he is a girl private! he has said what that female dog thatcher should have said 20 years ago,
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 173
aaron rattray
September 12, 2012, 1:19pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

not at all he is a girl private! he has said what that female dog thatcher should have said 20 years ago,

but he has apologised, he wasnt forced too!

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 173
semilapsedmariner
September 12, 2012, 1:20pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: +0
South yorkshire plod GUILTY.
South yorkshire coroner GUILTY.
THE old farts assocaition GUILTY.
The scum mentioned in dispatches GUILTY.
Sheffield council Guilty of letting hillborough to be used when no saftey cert in place.

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred,jealousy,boastfullness,
disregard of all rules and a sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence;
In other words it is war without the shooting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 173
aaron rattray
September 12, 2012, 1:22pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from semilapsedmariner
Sheffield council Guilty of letting hillborough to be used when no saftey cert in place.

the coroner got it wrong, he said that everyone of the 96 was dead by 3:15pm but it has been revealed that 59 were still alive

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 173
Hagrid
September 12, 2012, 1:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,388
Gold Stars: 529

because he knows his party and the police were wrong! my respect does not go up for the man
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 1:23pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from semilapsedmariner

couldn't put it better myself, and borrowing this for a facebook status, was trying to find a way of putting it and you've sumed it up nicely.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 173
Maringer
September 12, 2012, 1:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,407
Gold Stars: 184

Let me just quote Abraham Lincoln here:

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Anyway, as for the report, as expected the cause was a complete balls-up by the Police and other emergency services. What compounds the tragedy is that lives could have been saved even after the crush had the emergency services entered the stadium and tried to resuscitate some of the victims.

Reprehensible that the police attempted to cover their arses to shamelessly and the Tory MP, Patnick, sounds like a right piece of work.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 173
Southernboy
September 12, 2012, 1:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +111
yep
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 173
RoboCod
September 12, 2012, 1:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Anyway, as for the report, as expected the cause was a complete balls-up by the Police and other emergency services. What compounds the tragedy is that lives could have been saved even after the crush had the emergency services entered the stadium and tried to resuscitate some of the victims.

Reprehensible that the police attempted to cover their arses to shamelessly and the Tory MP, Patnick, sounds like a right piece of work.

This. I've heard a few people in recent months/weeks asking 'what truth exactly do these people want?' as if this enquiry was just something trivial in a world with an at-times trivial appeals system.  I think it was shown today. A few people need to look at themselves, a few should be questioned but the most upsetting part was that 59 fans could possibly have been saved. There's the truth, it was a cover up and vindication is now official but the details such as those, although rightly demanded can bring no comfort at all to the relatives.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 173
Rodley Mariner
September 12, 2012, 1:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Many on this thread are still propogating the myth that somehow Liverpool fans share responsibility for that day - hopefully that will now end and people will accept they were blameless innocents. There is no evidence at all to suggest criminality, violence, drunkenness or ticketlessness occurred in any significant manner.

I also wonder whether those who suggest today was pointless and that 'sleeping dogs should lie' still feel the same? Surely people have to be brought to account for there actions on the day. I find the widespread altering of statements and the conscious police attempt to shift blame onto the fans utterly reprehensible and those responsible should be dealt with through the correct legal channels.

I hope I never have to hear the suggestion that football fans caused the deaths that day ever again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 173
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2012, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

As she once famously said, "The Lady's not for turning"... especially when something didn't suit her, the Hillsborough cover up being a case in point.

There's no way she would have done a "U" turn and tried to get the truth and to the bottom of what happened
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 62 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 1:43pm

Brandy Drinker
Will there be any charges? I mean isn't it conspiracy, negligence and obstructing of justice.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 173
grimps
September 12, 2012, 2:53pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

As she once famously said, "The Lady's not for turning"... especially when something didn't suit her, the Hillsborough cover up being a case in point.

There's no way she would have done a "U" turn and tried to get the truth and to the bottom of what happened

I suspect Thatcher like most of the rest of us back then wouldnt have thought it possible that an whole police force could lie and cover up for each other like the south yorkshire one did.The innocents of believing that our Bobbies are good people is long since gone.I know people might say that there are some good coppers ect but out of all those 100s on duty that day how many came forward and put their honest accounts to the inquiry or the public ?

The real scum was in uniform that day
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 173
Manchester Mariner
September 12, 2012, 3:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
I see that Kelvin MacKenzie is now offering his "profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool". what an absolute cretin.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 3:30pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
I see that Kelvin MacKenzie is now offering his "profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool". what an absolute cretin.

I think he should stand in the middle of anfield in front of a packed scouse crowd, and let him apoligise then and see what the scouser think to his apoligy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 173
grimps
September 12, 2012, 3:40pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
[quote=293]I see that Kelvin MacKenzie is now offering his "profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool". what an absolute cretin.[/qu

Yeah he's a sharp object but he was only reporting the Police lies that he was being fed ,same goes for Thatcher.
As much as people would like to blame this on a right wing Tory cover up the real flilth are the flith.
Why did thye need to cover up and lie in the first place ?
If the had held their hands up straight away and admited they made some terrible mistakes that they would make sure would never happen again people probably could have forgive them.
Yes one or two of them would have been passed over for promotions and the odd one might have been fired for incompetence but now surely these people have to go to jail?
The police lied back in 1989 ,they will still lie today and the will lie tomorrow nothing well ever change there
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 173
psgmariner
September 12, 2012, 4:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Boris Johnson has some apologising to do as well.

His article on Scousers certainly laid the blame at drunken fans and not the police. Still he is such a ruddy character isn't he?

Not sure singling the police out as the ones with sole responsibility for this is appropiate. Lots of contributing factors making the blame game very unjust.

Private Message
Reply: 68 - 173
grimps
September 12, 2012, 4:08pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

His article on Scousers certainly laid the blame at drunken fans and not the police. Still he is such a ruddy character isn't he?

Not sure singling the police out as the ones with sole responsibility for this is appropiate. Lots of contributing factors making the blame game very unjust.

Theres a diffrence between making stupid statements in a newspaper and perjury,I hope any of the Police that changed statements or even the ones that stood silent and said nothing die in jail
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 173
RoboCod
September 12, 2012, 4:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner

You mean this ?

He's a typical politician; a chancer, an opportunist who will waffle the things that (regrettably) some people can nod and agree with.
He'll go far  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 173
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 12, 2012, 4:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
A lot of gut reaction today isn't there? The Indy is full of righteous indignation. The Mail would bring back hanging as usual. What has come out today is nothing new though, just more of it.

It was obvious that up to 41 more people might possibly have survived if they had treatment straightaway. The doctored police statements were already published a few years ago. We knew that the very few police had even fewer radios. We knew the coroner's illegal blood samples showed none of the victims had alcohol in them. (Well they wouldn't would they? The victims were the innocent first ones into the cage and the last ones to charge in couldn't have their blood tested could they?) We knew that the field gates were not opened in time. We knew that the exit gate was wrongly opened. We knew people were not guided into the empty side areas. We knew the man in charge had no experience and froze because he said so. All we have is more confirmation of all this.

If it is possible to apportion blame then stop talking about it and do it. Sue the police. Petition the Attorney General over the inquests, charge somebody over the falsification of evidence. Get on with it if the families think that will help them. Will it? Will it help anyone to shove a few long retired coppers in an open prison for a year or two after some hugely expensive show trials? I have my doubts.

At the risk of annoyance to some posters I have to say that today proves nothing new at all, at least to me. We know what happened. Those of us old enough to have seen football grounds before, during and after the cages know exactly why it happened too. That combination of circumstances cannot be repeated.

Private Message
Reply: 71 - 173
Super Clive
September 12, 2012, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
flipping twits, thatcher thatcher thatcher.
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 173
Rodley Mariner
September 12, 2012, 4:35pm
Special Brew Drinker

At the risk of annoyance to some posters I have to say that today proves nothing new at all, at least to me. We know what happened. Those of us old enough to have seen football grounds before, during and after the cages know exactly why it happened too. That combination of circumstances cannot be repeated.

I can't help but wonder why you feel better placed to know what happened than an independent panel who've spend hundreds of hours pouring over evidence and concluded that their is no evidence of excessive drunkenness, violence or people forcing entry without tickets. I'm sure some people were drunk but the police should have done their jobs properly and protected those innocent fans at the front.

I also wonder, had you lost a 15 year old child, would you feel it so pointless to seek justice through the prosecution of those culpable. What are your views on the systematic falsification and destruction of evidence and the deliberate attempt to shift blame onto the people who'd suffered?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 173
semilapsedmariner
September 12, 2012, 4:44pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: +0
Quoted from Gary Haddock

I think he should stand in the middle of anfield in front of a packed scouse crowd, and let him apoligise then and see what the scouser think to his apoligy.

Public Stonings are not allowed in this country.
But surely an exeption could be made.

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred,jealousy,boastfullness,
disregard of all rules and a sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence;
In other words it is war without the shooting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 173
Rodley Mariner
September 12, 2012, 4:46pm
Special Brew Drinker
A lot of gut reaction today isn't there?

Just to add RRFC - is it not the case that the reaction on here is based on fact, evidence and legal ruling, whilst your knowledge of what happened is based on your gut reaction of what you assume to have happened?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 173
AndyGTFC
September 12, 2012, 5:12pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +795
A lot of gut reaction today isn't there? The Indy is full of righteous indignation. The Mail would bring back hanging as usual. What has come out today is nothing new though, just more of it.

Some of the info might not be new but I don't think the sheer scale of the cover-up had ever been properly exposed until today. Stories of police corruption aren't exactly new but not to this level. It's absolutely disgusting and there's no way that the people responsible should be allowed to get away with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 173
lawless29
September 12, 2012, 5:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +13 / -2
Approval: +11

how old are you ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 173
lawless29
September 12, 2012, 5:18pm

Table Wine Drinker

no cameron is still a twit regardless

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 173
I am Um Bongo
September 12, 2012, 5:20pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +35 / -7
Approval: +3
Comparing Alfreton away to the Hillsborough disaster... Gobsmacked.

I love you Um Bongo, we will be best friends forever <3
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 173
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 12, 2012, 6:09pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

I can't help but wonder why you feel better placed to know what happened than an independent panel who've spend hundreds of hours pouring over evidence and concluded that their is no evidence of excessive drunkenness, violence or people forcing entry without tickets. I'm sure some people were drunk but the police should have done their jobs properly and protected those innocent fans at the front.

I also wonder, had you lost a 15 year old child, would you feel it so pointless to seek justice through the prosecution of those culpable. What are your views on the systematic falsification and destruction of evidence and the deliberate attempt to shift blame onto the people who'd suffered?

My views on those things are the same as yours Rodley, it is reprehensible. That wasn't my point though. If they want to pursue it then that is up to them and how they feel it will help them. But personally I happen to doubt that it will in the long run. Bitterness consumes.

As to your other observation, leaving aside the cover ups for the moment,  I am only speaking from experience of seeing what grounds, policing and supporters were like from the 60s onwards. Hillsborough was a disaster waiting to happen, just like Ibrox and Bradford, but what did happen was far worse than even I expected. The problem with long range reports like this is that no matter how good they are, how diligently they assess the evidence, how honestly they present the findings - they can only report on the hard evidence that is available to them and they cannot account for a wider context or culture.

Just one example - SWFC have apologised and rightly so but Hillsborough was a long way from being the only ground that was struggling with fan segregation, the  cages business and ticketed admission that were brought in to prevent pitch invasions and fighting. The club obviously followed what it had done for the identical fixture the previous year in the belief that if it worked then it would work again. It didn't. You could call SWFC culpable or unlucky or both. Lots of other ground managers would have been thinking "There but for the grace of God ..." The same applies to Bradford doesn't it? After we saw that fire on TV it put the fear of God into people used to being in a wooden stand for years.

Sorry to go on Rodley, I just feel that there is more breadth to this story than a simplistic blame, prosecute and hang 'em attitude we are seeing in the media.

By the way, by birth I really should be Bramley Mariner.

Private Message
Reply: 80 - 173
The Yard Dog
September 12, 2012, 6:12pm
Cocktail Drinker

It was obvious that up to 41 more people might possibly have survived if they had treatment straightaway. The doctored police statements were already published a few years ago. We knew that the very few police had even fewer radios. We knew the coroner's illegal blood samples showed none of the victims had alcohol in them. (Well they wouldn't would they? The victims were the innocent first ones into the cage and the last ones to charge in couldn't have their blood tested could they?) We knew that the field gates were not opened in time. We knew that the exit gate was wrongly opened. We knew people were not guided into the empty side areas. We knew the man in charge had no experience and froze because he said so. All we have is more confirmation of all this.

If it is possible to apportion blame then stop talking about it and do it. Sue the police. Petition the Attorney General over the inquests, charge somebody over the falsification of evidence. Get on with it if the families think that will help them. Will it? Will it help anyone to shove a few long retired coppers in an open prison for a year or two after some hugely expensive show trials? I have my doubts.

The point is that football fans died on that day and the Police have lied, covered up the truth, but most importantly blamed the Liverpool fans for the disaster. A cloud hung over the City of Liverpool, drunken fans, hooligans and supporters robbing the dead reported by the Sun newspaper, WHICH WERE LIES. This is why the families of 96 victims have had to keep on fighting for their loved ones for 23 years, which totally unacceptable.  How would you feel if loved one did not come home after a football and was told that they had died because their were drunk and a hooligan, would you not fight to clear their name, whatever it takes. I know I would. JUSTICE IS REQUIRED and everyone should support the families, so that those accountable as brought to justice.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 173
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 12, 2012, 6:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog
The point is that football fans died on that day and the Police have lied, covered up the truth, but most importantly blamed the Liverpool fans for the disaster. A cloud hung over the City of Liverpool, drunken fans, hooligans and supporters robbing the dead reported by the Sun newspaper, WHICH WERE LIES. This is why the families of 96 victims have had to keep on fighting for their loved ones for 23 years, which totally unacceptable.  How would you feel if loved one did not come home after a football and was told that they had died because their were drunk and a hooligan, would you not fight to clear their name, whatever it takes. I know I would. JUSTICE IS REQUIRED and everyone should support the families, so that those accountable as brought to justice.  

Fair enough, you are clear in your opinion. May I just ask - exactly who would you put in the dock and what punishments do you think would give the families justice?

Private Message
Reply: 82 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 12, 2012, 6:23pm
Guest User
Ronraffertyfanclub. . . If everything was already known. . . Why were there gasps of amazement in parliament today when the scale of the injustice was announced?  I think you have posted a statement which you believed in before today and are standing by it regardless of what haa been presented today!

You are right to think you may annoy people. . . You have annoyed me, not by disrespecting the feelings of lfc families (they wont readthe ignorant ramblings of an ignoramous on a mesageboard for a two-bob non league football club. . . No, you annoy me because  you are one of tgose who assume they are right and fail to adapt your stance despite overwhelming evidence that you should!
Reply: 83 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 12, 2012, 6:26pm
Guest User

Fair enough, you are clear in your opinion. May I just ask - exactly who would you put in the dock and what punishments do you think would give the families justice?

Those that have broken the law. . . Thats sort of how the legal system works!

Perverting the course of justice, involuntary manslaughter, abuse of power in public office. . . That's how the law works. . . Not by garnering the opinion of posters on a messageboard!
Reply: 84 - 173
Rodley Mariner
September 12, 2012, 6:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
RRFC - I agree that it's more complicated than 'It's the fault of the police' but what needs to stop now is the insinuation that drunk, violent, ticketless Liverpool fans caused this, that somehow Liverpool as a group of supporters were asking for it. It's been proven categorically that this wasn't the case. It's been evidenced that this was a narrative created by the South Yorks police to try and cover their own failings yet still people, including supposedly educated men like Boris Johnson seem to accept this as fact. Going off topic, if he manages to 'amiable buffoon' his way to PM we might as well all give up.

As for the what next; maybe some families want legal action and maybe others don't. Those that do are entitled to it. Negligent actions of senior members of South Yorkshire police led to the deaths of 96 innocent people and they should be accountable, the fact that it'd be expensive and bring nobody back is of no consequence and isn't how our justice system works. Likewise, those complicit in the cover up of what actually happened; to try and smear the dead and dig up criminal records on them is utterly sickening and unforgivable.

As for Bramley - only just up the road although I'm now round the corner in Farsley. By the way, nice to have this debate sensibly without being labelled a moron or worse!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 173
RoboCod
September 12, 2012, 6:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm pretty sure a dossier of names could be made up from all of those documents and those people made to account for their stories.
Personally I'd start with Irvine Patnick, the Sheffield MP of the time who I'm pretty certain began the chain of lies that certain parts of the media grabbed hold of. He was very certain of what he had believed to have happened, even going as far as to say he'd met police officers who'd told of the fans beating up police officers, that he'd seen the bruises on them to back this up, and that these officers had confirmed the fans were all in a drunken state. I'd just like to see if he would be prepared to repeat what he said on oath.
He certainly should be accountable for his very damaging words that day.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 6:38pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from 1054

Perverting the course of justice, involuntary manslaughter, abuse of power in public office. . . That's how the law works. . . Not by garnering the opinion of posters on a messageboard!

Actually found an opinion of yours I agree with. It's plain common sense if they have broken the law, they should be punished, the evidance is there now, no excuses for not convicting those responsible, for the conspiracy, negligence and perverting the course of justice.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 173
mariner83
September 12, 2012, 6:40pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 88 - 173
aldi_01
September 12, 2012, 6:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
CamerOn has only said sorry because he's got to although I don't doubt that he does feel for the families. However we all know another cover up will happen when it comes to dishing out punishments now to the lying illegitimates and the incompetent idiots who were in charge and blame everyone but themselves.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 173
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 12, 2012, 7:04pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 1054

Agreed. But could you be specific? Which individuals do you think were guilty of these crimes? Some seem obvious but there must be a good few dead or hidden away. To establish that will need something like the Bloody Sunday investigation. That took years and cost millions. Mind you I did notice Michael Mansfield was involved in that as well.

Private Message
Reply: 90 - 173
Mrs Doyle
September 12, 2012, 7:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
At long last the police and government have admitted this was a complete cover up now to get those verdicts overturned and those accountable brought to justice.

To Rupert Murdoch and his shitrag paper the Scum your time is over pal you are finished hang your head in shame .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 173
RoboCod
September 12, 2012, 7:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
At long last the police and government have admitted this was a complete cover up now to get those verdicts overturned and those accountable brought to justice.

To Rupert Murdoch and his shitrag paper the Scum your time is over pal you are finished hang your head in shame .  

Coming so quickly on top of the phone hacking story you really would hope that a tabloid or two would go under. Getting this country back on its feet would start with a cleansing of our despicable press imo.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 173
Mrs Doyle
September 12, 2012, 7:43pm
Whiskey Drinker

Don't be so naive aaron Camoron knew the way this was going he simply got advised to go along with it to increase his popularity.

Thatcher was in power at the time she was probably advised to go along with the false views at the time.

whether she was fully aware of the truth will never be revealed I suspect.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 173
ska face
September 12, 2012, 8:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,561
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from grimps
[quote=293]I see that Kelvin MacKenzie is now offering his "profuse apologies to the people of Liverpool". what an absolute cretin.[/qu

Yeah he's a sharp object but he was only reporting the Police lies that he was being fed ,same goes for Thatcher.

Dogshit - http://www.independent.co.uk/n.....h-story-8117772.html
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 173
kingofthekippers
September 12, 2012, 8:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Quoted from grimps

Justice is not about seeing the truth being revealed; that should be a given and in this case was something that took 23 years to happen. Justice is about seeing those responsible for their actions being brought before a court of law.

Someone mentioned the missing CCTV tape of the gates being opened - that was discovered in the archives of Yorkshire Television in 1995. To this day no one knows how it got there.

Whatever happens at least everyone now knows what some of us had always strongly suspected - South Yorkshire Police lied that day to cover their own failings.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 173
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2012, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Don't be so naive aaron Camoron knew the way this was going he simply got advised to go along with it to increase his popularity.

Thatcher was in power at the time she was probably advised to go along with the false views at the time.

whether she was fully aware of the truth will never be revealed I suspect.

The truth and Thatcher.....I just don't see the two going together
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 96 - 173
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2012, 9:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from RoboCod
I'm pretty sure a dossier of names could be made up from all of those documents and those people made to account for their stories.
Personally I'd start with Irvine Patnick, the Sheffield MP of the time who I'm pretty certain began the chain of lies that certain parts of the media grabbed hold of. He was very certain of what he had believed to have happened, even going as far as to say he'd met police officers who'd told of the fans beating up police officers, that he'd seen the bruises on them to back this up, and that these officers had confirmed the fans were all in a drunken state. I'd just like to see if he would be prepared to repeat what he said on oath.
He certainly should be accountable for his very damaging words that day.  

Funny that I should just have read this then....

The 82-year-old refused to speak to reporters as he left his home in the south-west of Sheffield this afternoon.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 97 - 173
marinette
September 12, 2012, 9:03pm
Vodka Drinker
I'm surprised at some things that have come out of this.

I'm surprised that the cover-up has been exposed at all.  I would have thought that if documents had been falsified or destroyed then the perpetrators would have made a good job of it and no evidence or trace would have been left behind.  It kind of gives me hope that the truth has still managed to find its way out officially, in spite of everything.

The other thing that surprises me is that lives could have been saved if the emergency services had reacted more quickly.  I'm not naive about the police - I've witnessed police behaviour that has shocked me in the past, and I have direct experience of the way Liverpool fans were shoved around and treated like scum, but I  still cannot really believe that the police would deliberately deny access to medical attention when a large number of people were clearly dying right in front of their eyes.  Was it that there were not enough medical people / ambulances available at the time to deal with the numbers?  And if so, whose fault was that?

If there was a cover up over this - if the media and the state can collaborate in such a way to deliberately deceive the general population - how many other cover ups have there been that we don't know about?  Are things going to change and become more open?  

Liverpool fans, on the day, actually did more to save people's lives than the police, when the tragedy was first unfolding.  That is a fact.  And yet it was Liverpool fans who were forced to collectively take the blame.  I can understand that mistakes were made, I can understand why the authorities were afraid of the consequences - but I can't forgive them for dishonestly trying to apportion the blame onto others, who were suffering enough.  That's unforgiveable.

Private Message
Reply: 98 - 173
mariner83
September 12, 2012, 9:08pm

Champagne Drinker
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 99 - 173
FishOutOfWater
September 12, 2012, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from marinette

I'm surprised that the cover-up has been exposed at all.  I would have thought that if documents had been falsified or destroyed then the perpetrators would have made a good job of it and no evidence or trace would have been left behind.  It kind of gives me hope that the truth has still managed to find its way out officially, in spite of everything.

The other thing that surprises me is that lives could have been saved if the emergency services had reacted more quickly.  I'm not naive about the police - I've witnessed police behaviour that has shocked me in the past, and I have direct experience of the way Liverpool fans were shoved around and treated like scum, but I  still cannot really believe that the police would deliberately deny access to medical attention when a large number of people were clearly dying right in front of their eyes.  Was it that there were not enough medical people / ambulances available at the time to deal with the numbers?  And if so, whose fault was that?

If there was a cover up over this - if the media and the state can collaborate in such a way to deliberately deceive the general population - how many other cover ups have there been that we don't know about?  Are things going to change and become more open?  

Liverpool fans, on the day, actually did more to save people's lives than the police, when the tragedy was first unfolding.  That is a fact.  And yet it was Liverpool fans who were forced to collectively take the blame.  I can understand that mistakes were made, I can understand why the authorities were afraid of the consequences - but I can't forgive them for dishonestly trying to apportion the blame onto others, who were suffering enough.  That's unforgiveable.

Well put Marinette
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 100 - 173
mariner83
September 12, 2012, 9:10pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from marinette

Well said!!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 101 - 173
ska face
September 12, 2012, 9:21pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from marinette

44 ambulances arrived at the stadium but police let only one onto the pitch. According to the ITV documentary last night, the ambulance crews were told by police that the fans were "still fighting" inside the ground, and were stopped from attending to the dying fans.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 9:41pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +4 / -6
I feel very very sad for the families of the 96.  I watched the dreadful scenes live on tv and it was truly horrific.  But here we are many many years on, is it really about closure or is it now about finding someone accountable so that massive compensation claims can be lodged?  That's a question by the way, not a statement.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 173
ska face
September 12, 2012, 9:49pm

Vodka Drinker
That's a fairly classless thing to say when there are families who had to bury their flipping children and have spent the last 23 years hearing how it was all their own fault.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 9:49pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from ExLeightonMariner
I feel very very sad for the families of the 96.  I watched the dreadful scenes live on tv and it was truly horrific.  But here we are many many years on, is it really about closure or is it now about finding someone accountable so that massive compensation claims can be lodged?  That's a question by the way, not a statement.

I think for most, it's so that everyone knows the truth instead of being lead to believe lies. Liverpool fans had been made to look the villains, when it wasn't them at all and the cover ups, there was many laws broken, and the culprits should be brought to justice.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 9:51pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Gary Haddock

I think for most, it's so that everyone knows the truth instead of being lead to believe lies. Liverpool fans had been made to look the villains, when it wasn't them at all and the cover ups, there was many laws broken, and the culprits should be brought to justice.

So there won't be a deluge of compensation claims then?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 173
Rodley Mariner
September 12, 2012, 9:51pm
Special Brew Drinker

It's a pretty horrible question. You're effectively asking if people are bothered about getting some justice for their dead children or are just after a bit of compo.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 9:53pm

Brandy Drinker

No

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 9:56pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from ska face
That's a fairly classless thing to say when there are families who had to bury their flipping children and have spent the last 23 years hearing how it was all their own fault.

On the contrary, the police have been consistently blamed by the media.  It shouldn't be about blame, it was a fooking tragedy.  It should be about learning so that it can never happen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 9:57pm

Brandy Drinker

Would money be what you wanted if one of your loved ones was killed?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 9:58pm

Brandy Drinker

On the contrary, the police have been consistently blamed by the media.  It shouldn't be about blame, it was a fooking tragedy.  It should be about learning so that it can never happen again.

And those who broke the law, untrialed and unpunished?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 9:59pm
Coke Drinker

It's a pretty horrible question. You're effectively asking if people are bothered about getting some justice for their dead children or are just after a bit of compo.

Okay, fair point.  Hopefully if there's a case to be answered it will be answered.  But let's see how many compensation claims are lodged against drunken fans.  Nil would be my guess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 173
bradzmilne
September 12, 2012, 10:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,381
Gold Stars: 29
To be honest i never think the case will be put to bed fully, when you think its gone quiet some new evidence will appear but hopefully todays new evidence will let the families of the 96 rest a little more easy.
R.I.P 96

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 10:02pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Gary Haddock

And those who broke the law, untrialed and unpunished?

You miss my point I feel.  If someone has deliberately committed a crime then I sincerely hope that justice prevails.  However, let's hope that justice is consistent and that it isn't just attributed to the easy targets. I.e. the police.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 173
Rodley Mariner
September 12, 2012, 10:03pm
Special Brew Drinker

Okay, fair point.  Hopefully if there's a case to be answered it will be answered.  But let's see how many compensation claims are lodged against drunken fans.  Nil would be my guess.

Have you actually watched the news today? You might have heard that the independent panel which has spend hundreds of hours reviewing all available evidence have said there is no evidence of large numbers of drunken, ticketless, violent fans. Even Cameron stated categorically that Liverpool fans were in no way at all responsible for what happened. This idea, which unbelievably you're still perpetuating, was effectively invented by South Yorkshire police to cover up their own culpability.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 173
ska face
September 12, 2012, 10:22pm

Vodka Drinker

Jesus christ...
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 12, 2012, 10:28pm
Guest User

No it's not about that. . . That's an answer, not just an opinion!
Reply: 117 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 10:29pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Gary Haddock

Would money be what you wanted if one of your loved ones was killed?

No, money brings no-one back, neither does blame.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 173
I am Um Bongo
September 12, 2012, 10:33pm
Table Wine Drinker

You miss my point I feel.  If someone has deliberately committed a crime then I sincerely hope that justice prevails.  However, let's hope that justice is consistent and that it isn't just attributed to the easy targets. I.e. the police.

Oh look there goes ExLeightonMariner talking about money again.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 10:36pm
Coke Drinker

Have you actually watched the news today? You might have heard that the independent panel which has spend hundreds of hours reviewing all available evidence have said there is no evidence of large numbers of drunken, ticketless, violent fans. Even Cameron stated categorically that Liverpool fans were in no way at all responsible for what happened. This idea, which unbelievably you're still perpetuating, was effectively invented by South Yorkshire police to cover up their own culpability.

Again a question.  Would Cameron seriously blame the fans without evidence? Did he blame the police though?

Let me ask you a question, if a football stadium enclosure designed to hold 15,000 people had 15,000 people in it, would 96 of died?  Another question, did the police push the fans in from the outside?  Mistakes were made, that's obvious, but to suggest that the police were wholly to blame is ludicrous.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 10:38pm

Brandy Drinker

No, money brings no-one back, neither does blame.

Agreed, but there is a law, and laws was broken, and not by the fans, but by the law enforcers themselves, as the evidance would sujest. So they need to be brought to justice (those responsible). There was negligens, conspiracy to cover ups for 23 years, and perverting the course of justice. Should these be dismissed, untrialed and unpunished, when others on less serious grounds, but would be prosecuted for the same crimes?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 10:40pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from I am Um Bongo

Oh look there goes ExLeightonMariner talking about money again.

Oh dear, is that another failed attempt at humour?  What next? Perhaps you'll be skippy the bush kangaroo's secret interpreter.  I guess you fall into the tiresome bore category?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 10:42pm
Coke Drinker
Quoted from Gary Haddock

Agreed, but there is a law, and laws was broken, and not by the fans, but by the law enforcers themselves, as the evidance would sujest. So they need to be brought to justice (those responsible). There was negligens, conspiracy to cover ups for 23 years, and perverting the course of justice. Should these be dismissed, untrialed and unpunished, when others on less serious grounds, but would be prosecuted for the same crimes?

Yes, I agree.  If a crime has been committed then let the perpetrators be brought to justice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 173
I am Um Bongo
September 12, 2012, 10:43pm
Table Wine Drinker

Oh dear, is that another failed attempt at humour?  What next? Perhaps you'll be skippy the bush kangaroo's secret interpreter.  I guess you fall into the tiresome bore category?

Hardly, you are the one who thinks money solves everything.

Losing an argument on a forum? Tell everyone how much you earn.

Families lose their relatives due to negligence? Throw some money at them.

You seem to be a very materialistic person, money doesn't solve everything.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 173
Wrawby_Mariner
September 12, 2012, 10:46pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862

Again a question.  Would Cameron seriously blame the fans without evidence? Did he blame the police though?

Let me ask you a question, if a football stadium enclosure designed to hold 15,000 people had 15,000 people in it, would 96 of died?  Another question, did the police push the fans in from the outside?  Mistakes were made, that's obvious, but to suggest that the police were wholly to blame is ludicrous.

I agree, The blame shouldn't lay just at one set of peoples feet. There were lots of contributing factors but the police hiding thing certainly hasn't helped now.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 125 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 10:48pm
Coke Drinker

Hardly, you are the one who thinks money solves everything.

Losing an argument on a forum? Tell everyone how much you earn.

Families lose their relatives due to negligence? Throw some money at them.

You seem to be a very materialistic person, money doesn't solve everything.

Sorry, how clumsy of me.  While contributing to a discussion I appear to have trodden on someone's ego.  To try and recover I'll disappear, come up with a really un-amusing facade and try desperately to stay in character in a vain attempt to be mr chat room popular.  Go away and bore someone else, this is a serious discussion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 173
Rodley Mariner
September 12, 2012, 10:48pm
Special Brew Drinker

Yes he did blame the police due to the vast evidence proving their culpability in the events. The end wasn't full - there were big sections of empty space in the corner pens but the police continued to direct people to the hugely over-crowded middle section. The police weren't solely to blame but the fans have been proven not to be at fault.

If you're posting seriously and not on the wind up I suggest you do some basic research on what's been established about the events of that day as you're clearly extremely ignorant of it at the moment. You seem keen to stand up for the police. This is the same police who doctored 116 of 164 statements, who denied access to ambulances who could have saved potentially 40 lives due to 'fighting' that wasn't taking place, who deliberately engineered a narrative blaming Liverpool fans to cover their own culpability and who were completely unable to do the job they were employed to do that day and protect the people in that football ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 173
I am Um Bongo
September 12, 2012, 10:50pm
Table Wine Drinker

Sorry, how clumsy of me.  While contributing to a discussion I appear to have trodden on someone's ego.  To try and recover I'll disappear, come up with a really un-amusing facade and try desperately to stay in character in a vain attempt to be mr chat room popular.  Go away and bore someone else, this is a serious discussion.

How is me mentioning that you think throwing money at people who lost their relatives is the answer? Sounds like you can't come up with a reasonable response, and no you didn't tread on my ego, I never even posted in that thread, i just thought you made yourself sound like a massive ego who gloats on forums to try and make himself feel superior.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 173
TownSNAFU5
September 12, 2012, 10:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,852
Gold Stars: 42
My father was in the Leppings Lane end.  He was 66 at the time.  He got on to the pitch ok.  I did not know he was even at the match.  He has now been a Town fan for 80 years.

Despite this personal involvement I have no specific interest from his experience.  I do as a football fan though.  I read a police statement in the press 2 days ago that sums up the disaster.  Some police officers were unable to help the injured.  They were in shock or being sick.  At the same time the much maligned Liverpool fans were helping injured fans by carrying then to safety on makeshift stretchers - advertising boards.  A senior officer had added a not to this police statement "the fans were organised - we were not.  This evidence needs to be changed".

Despite the above example of how authorities collectively failed the fans, any disaster is made up of many smaller and linked failings.  Eg why were Liverpool fans not given the bigger kop end?  The reason for the fences and lack of response from the ambulance services, were embedded in crowd control measures as the main priority, not actually helping the injured.  Many football fans, or rather hooligans at matches, have contributed to this position over many years. Attitudes were hardened against the average fan.   Collectively football reaped what it sown with deadly consequences.    

Apologises if these points were covered above.  I have been out all night and do not have the time to read all the good posts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 173
ExLeightonMariner
September 12, 2012, 10:54pm
Coke Drinker

Yes he did blame the police due to the vast evidence proving their culpability in the events. The end wasn't full - there were big sections of empty space in the corner pens but the police continued to direct people to the hugely over-crowded middle section. The police weren't solely to blame but the fans have been proven not to be at fault.

If you're posting seriously and not on the wind up I suggest you do some basic research on what's been established about the events of that day as you're clearly extremely ignorant of it at the moment. You seem keen to stand up for the police. This is the same police who doctored 116 of 164 statements, who denied access to ambulances who could have saved potentially 40 lives due to 'fighting' that wasn't taking place, who deliberately engineered a narrative blaming Liverpool fans to cover their own culpability and who were completely unable to do the job they were employed to do that day and protect the people in that football ground.

I heard on the radio that there were 400,000 pieces of evidence, I didn't realise you'd read them all and come up with a solution that some of the finest legal minds in the country had been missed for 23 years.  Please accept my apologies.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 10:57pm

Brandy Drinker

How is me mentioning that you think throwing money at people who lost their relatives is the answer? Sounds like you can't come up with a reasonable response, and no you didn't tread on my ego, I never even posted in that thread, i just thought you made yourself sound like a massive ego who gloats on forums to try and make himself feel superior.

Hate to stick up for exleightonmariner but he did bring up a reasonable response to this though he does seem arogant to the new evidance. There are sick and twisted people out there who would use such situations to claim compensation, but not in this case, they just want the truth to be known, and those responsible to be brought to justice.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 173
Rodley Mariner
September 12, 2012, 10:59pm
Special Brew Drinker

I heard on the radio that there were 400,000 pieces of evidence, I didn't realise you'd read them all and come up with a solution that some of the finest legal minds in the country had been missed for 23 years.  Please accept my apologies.

Surprisingly I haven't but the panel who've announced their findings today have and I'm informed by what they've announced. What are you basing your assertion that it was drunk, ticketless fans on? Aaron Rattray and Gary Haddock have easily grasped what's been announced today and you're struggling to do so. That should concern you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 173
I am Um Bongo
September 12, 2012, 11:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Gary Haddock

Hate to stick up for exleightonmariner but he did bring up a reasonable response to this though he does seem arogant to the new evidance. There are sick and twisted people out there who would use such situations to claim compensation, but not in this case, they just want the truth to be known, and those responsible to be brought to justice.

Justice shouldn't necessarily be reflected by financial gain in this sort of situation though, unless News International are forced to pay compensation for those effected by the blatant lies they published, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 11:03pm

Brandy Drinker

Justice shouldn't necessarily be reflected by financial gain in this sort of situation though, unless News International are forced to pay compensation for those effected by the blatant lies they published, which wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

I agree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 173
ska face
September 12, 2012, 11:04pm

Vodka Drinker

No, but the Hillsborough Independant Panel have, and they've even summed everything up for you in a report: http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/

I suggest you have a flick through that, or a newspaper tomorrow, and come back once you've got half an idea what you're talking about.
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 173
I am Um Bongo
September 12, 2012, 11:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from ska face

No, but the Hillsborough Independant Panel have, and they've even summed everything up for you in a report: http://hillsborough.independent.gov.uk/

I suggest you have a flick through that, or a newspaper tomorrow, and come back once you've got half an idea what you're talking about.

If there was a like button, my pink feet would be pressing it right about now.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 173
marinette
September 12, 2012, 11:08pm
Vodka Drinker

police...who denied access to ambulances who could have saved potentially 40 lives due to 'fighting' that wasn't taking place,  

Can't get my head around that.  Should be able to, because I've seen something kind of vaguely similar on a much, much smaller scale, but I can't understand it in these circumstances.  There was no fighting at Hillsborough.  Just to stand and watch people die and deny them access to medical help that was there and available?

Private Message
Reply: 137 - 173
Chrisblor
September 12, 2012, 11:16pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,760
Gold Stars: 233
It's depressing that even after today's comprehensive report there are still some idiots out there convinced Liverpool fans were to blame and we should just look the other way when faced with possibly the biggest cover-up this country has ever seen.

Honestly before I read a summary of the report today I thought the fans were at least partially at fault for the disaster. Now I know that is unequivocally not the case and my judgement was perverted by a disgusting establishment cover-up. Anyone with an ounce of sense should have the same realisation after today.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 173
The Yard Dog
September 12, 2012, 11:18pm
Cocktail Drinker
16 police officers received in total £1.5 million in compensation
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 12, 2012, 11:19pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from The Yard Dog
16 police officers received in total £1.5 million in compensation

Compensation for what?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 173
lawless29
September 12, 2012, 11:26pm

Table Wine Drinker

why wasnt he forced it had intercourse all to do with him he apolgised due to his partys mistakes not because he flipping cares

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 173
lawless29
September 12, 2012, 11:33pm

Table Wine Drinker
if ppl behaved at football matches. there would of been no need for fences

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 173
The Yard Dog
September 12, 2012, 11:36pm
Cocktail Drinker
I have read the summary of Hillsborough Indenpdent Panel Report (see below) and it stated 16 police officers had received in total £1.5 million in compensation.  There was no breakdown or details in the summary, maybe more details in the full 389 page report.  

Chapter 7. Civil litigation
The documents disclosed to the Panel show that SYP sought to avoid any admission of
liability in the settlement of compensation claims and in contribution proceedings against other organisations. SYP officers who claimed compensation were pressured within the Force to withdraw their claims.
91. The decision by SYP to settle certain categories of compensation claims from the injured and bereaved in November 1989 was sudden and taken for legal and tactical reasons. It was made deliberately without any admission of liability so as not to prejudice the position of any police officers subsequently under criminal investigation.
92. Following legal action by SYP, other organisations agreed to contribute to the payment of compensation to the injured and bereaved as follows:• Sheffield Wednesday Football Club – £1.5 million• the Club’s engineers Eastwood & Partners – £1.5 million• Sheffield City Council – £1 million.
93. It was estimated that total compensation to the injured and bereaved might reach£12 million, suggesting that SYP would have accepted two-thirds of the liability and the other organisations one-third. Ultimately the cost of compensation rose to£19.8 million. SYP’s public liability insurance cover was limited to £8.5 million. The remainder of the total was paid from the Police Authority’s financial reserves and through special payments from the Home Office.
94. Compensation claims from SYP officers caused considerable tension within the Force. Senior officers viewed the claims with ‘great concern’ and junior officers felt ‘immense pressure’ from the Force to withdraw them. SYP accepted internally that they had ‘no defence’ in relation to a category of claims in late 1992, but did not agree to make payments until mid-1995. This was a strategic decision to deter‘copy-cat’ claims. Those claims not settled were successfully defended in court.£1.5 million was ultimately paid out by SYP to 16 officers. The costs were met from the Force’s employers’ insurance cover.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 173
Mrs Doyle
September 13, 2012, 12:23am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Gary Haddock

Compensation for what?

I  remember this they were awarded compensation for traumatic stress at the horrific scenes being directly involved.

What about the hundreds of fans that helped by making make shift stretchers out of advertising hoardings and assisting in helping the dying and injured.

Even Bruce Grobler and Stevie Nicole was helping fans before they were ushered away.

Bruce said on radio today he still sees their faces crushed against those death trap fences after all these years it does not go away.

Must have been horrific I remember the Forest fans at the other end jeering at the Liverpool fans about coming on the pitch and stopping the game.

They were obviously oblivious at that time that people were dying as soon as they realized they ran across to help.

One of the worst days in football along with Bradford, Hysel and Ibrox it is the reason why  those fences were torn down and all seater more room stadia we now sit in with lower attendance were introduced.

That ground was unfit for the purpose from the start (and may be before) it was obvious that the capacity was no where near enough.

I wonder if the FA will face any charges after this, after all it was the FA cup along with the polices total lack of "duty of care"
to the public the FA can't be blameless in all this.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 173
bogbrush
September 13, 2012, 12:26am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Yes, mistakes where made. It would have been better people had admitted this at the time. But instead it seems there was an attempt to cover things up and basically lied to cover thier own back, and that whats made me angry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 173
Mrs Doyle
September 13, 2012, 12:54am
Whiskey Drinker
I remember even at BP in the Pontoon them Horrible crush barriers and big fences they were death traps waiting to happen.

It is usually kids who get hurt first at Hillsborough it is now clear that big mistakes were made,worse still vital evidence in a criminal court case  were tampered with by the police and high up officials.

This whole lot stinks perhaps the saddest part is the 41 victims whose lives could have been saved if they had been allowed access to proper emergency services.

You think your family members kids etc are safe going to watch what should be a fun day out at the semi final of a FA cup game. You can't imagine the loss of a love one not coming home through that door again.
That pain will never ever go away.

R.I.P. the 96 and get those accidental death verdicts overturned.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 13, 2012, 1:00am
Guest User

With such sn incapacity to comprehend information and the verdict of an independant inquiry. . . I  dont think you deserve 60k p.a. Private medical cover and a company car.  Your company would be far better advised to spend this money on ornamental trees, stylish office furniture and a new watercooler. . . It's times like this when I wish I had used the word 'fu(ktard' less often. . .

You Fu(ktard!!!!!!
Reply: 147 - 173
Grim up north
September 13, 2012, 1:45am
Table Wine Drinker
These are my honest views having attended many games in this period and beyond , two of my friends being Liverpool fans who were in the middle pen at the game. Soccer violence at this time was probably at its worst, police trust in the football fan ,genuine or not was at its lowest ,what could look like fans trying to escape a disaster now ,at the time was an attempted pitch invasion. What is not acceptable is the massive police cover up of evidence /witness statements being changed or lost. What is fact and will be impossible to gain as evidence by any panel in the world (nor wanted for loss of votes or public opinion )is that many fans did force the gates without tickets the nearer the game got to kick off in the hope of getting in to the big game and this did not help the situation.This was not a one off , it happened many times before and even for a few years after.None of these would expect anybody to be injured by these actions but history shows what happened. Had it been my Son/Daughter lost that day then I would fight the rest of my life for the facts like they are doing to this day ,as will the parents of those who lost at Heysel /Ibrox/Bradford etc.Like any disaster different circumstances would have contributed to the events of the day not one individual act, what we have todo is ensure its never repeated. YNWA.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 173
Mrs Doyle
September 13, 2012, 6:10am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Grim up north
These are my honest views having attended many games in this period and beyond , two of my friends being Liverpool fans who were in the middle pen at the game. Soccer violence at this time was probably at its worst, police trust in the football fan ,genuine or not was at its lowest ,what could look like fans trying to escape a disaster now ,at the time was an attempted pitch invasion. What is not acceptable is the massive police cover up of evidence /witness statements being changed or lost. What is fact and will be impossible to gain as evidence by any panel in the world (nor wanted for loss of votes or public opinion )is that many fans did force the gates without tickets the nearer the game got to kick off in the hope of getting in to the big game and this did not help the situation.This was not a one off , it happened many times before and even for a few years after.None of these would expect anybody to be injured by these actions but history shows what happened. Had it been my Son/Daughter lost that day then I would fight the rest of my life for the facts like they are doing to this day ,as will the parents of those who lost at Heysel /Ibrox/Bradford etc.Like any disaster different circumstances would have contributed to the events of the day not one individual act, what we have todo is ensure its never repeated. YNWA.

Could not have worded it better well put Grim. One thing I will add however Margaret Aspinall said she and family members and friends had to find their own money for expensive court costs to launch appeals etc where as the media and high up police authorities were able to fund top lawyers to keep the truth at bay, this needs re-addressing.

The Sun and Rupert Murdock for a start can compensate for all the losses and legal fees involved to Mrs Aspinall and others who fought so hard to get this case to where it is now,also to pay for any future legal fees to ensure the truth is brought out.

There must now be another inquiry to clear all those 96 peoples names and get the right verdict this time, and to bring to justice ALL the people involved in this cover up including MP's.

Thatcher and in particular the sports minister at the time must have known what was going on.

If not i would urge everybody to stop buying the sun until it is forced to shut down Kelvin McKenzie must give a full apology on behalf of himself and the sun for that disgusting article he wrote.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 173
aaron rattray
September 13, 2012, 6:50am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Ihave downloaded all 389 pages on the panel's findings and i am horrified i have also got every single book what has been written about it, seen hundreds of hours of footage of the disaster and i am horrified, they blood and alcohol tested a 10 year old boy who died in it, the police was not sympathetic or compassionate the questions they asked the families, how much alcohol did you have? Etc one of my uncles is a forest fan and he was there in the forest end closest to the crush, he was horrified, alot of coppers failed that day, not all of them but a lot, disgusting

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 173
lawless29
September 13, 2012, 7:56am

Table Wine Drinker

photo hosting per·ju·ry [pur-juh-ree] Show IPA
noun, plural per·ju·ries. Law .
the willful giving of false testimony under oath or affirmation, before a competent tribunal, upon a point material to a legal inquiry. Lying in Court under Oath
3-5yrs prison sentence

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 173
lawless29
September 13, 2012, 7:56am

Table Wine Drinker

photo hosting per·ju·ry [pur-juh-ree] Show IPA
noun, plural per·ju·ries. Law .
the willful giving of false testimony under oath or affirmation, before a competent tribunal, upon a point material to a legal inquiry. Lying in Court under Oath
3-5yrs prison sentence

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 173
Chrisblor
September 13, 2012, 9:37am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker

Wrong. The police opened the gate next to the turnstiles in an effort to relieve the crowds that had built up outside the ground (there is CCTV footage of this happening which mysteriously only turned up in Yorkshire Television's archives in the mid-90s). They then lied and stated the fans forced the gate open. Please read a summary of yesterday's report before continuing to perpetuate this nonsense.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 173
codcheeky
September 13, 2012, 10:09am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Perhaps the blackest day in the history of the police force in this country and also the ambulance service, this cover up would shame a third world dictatorship, at last the truth is out, i am guilty of thinking drunken fans were a lot to blame a line the authorities have pushed since the day the tragedy, whether we will see any justice with many involved in this deceit part of the establishment will remain to be seen, the police have a habit of losing evidence and delay when it comes to prosecuting their own
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 173
Grim up north
September 13, 2012, 11:59am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Wrong. The police opened the gate next to the turnstiles in an effort to relieve the crowds that had built up outside the ground (there is CCTV footage of this happening which mysteriously only turned up in Yorkshire Television's archives in the mid-90s). They then lied and stated the fans forced the gate open. Please read a summary of yesterday's report before continuing to perpetuate this nonsense.

Chris, this is my last post on this subject , my wording you highlighted was indeed wrong ,I meant as in turned up late and surged the gate in the hope of getting in to the game,anyone around at the time would remember or seen this happening at numerous grounds holding the big games.Being in my late Teens at the time friends and I attended many fixtures like this , remember tickets were harder to obtain them days with no Internet/mobile phones around like today. No one act causes a disaster of this scale, many events lead up to it with all the cogs lining up for it to occur.I don't rely on reports from men in suits I go by what I witnessed countless times around the Eighties /early nineties, believe me this could have happened at a number of games of that time indeed some will remember on a smaller scale our game away at Chesterfield.I was recalling this incident with a friend a while ago who was in the middle pen and spent years having nightmares of what he saw under his feet ,details that i wont put on a public forum.Lets hope the families involved get the outcome they are looking for, at the end of the day what matters is that 96 fans just like us left the house to watch a game of football and never came home,that should never happen again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 173
Ipswin
September 13, 2012, 12:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Gary Haddock

No

Wanna bet? I wouldn't be at all surprised if Michael Mansfield's reps were handing out flyers to all and sundry (irrespective of whether they lost loved ones or if they were just a bit upset 23 years ago) at the meeting in Liverpool last night.

The legal profession and half of Liverpool will be all over it like a rash especially as the police are such an easy target

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 173
aaron rattray
September 13, 2012, 12:44pm
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
The police said that the CCTV cameras didn't have a zoom in facility but yet the day after the disaster the man in charge of the cameras went into the police control box ( which was situated in the leppings lane end where the crush happened) and the camera zoomed in so much you could see the time on the groundsmans watch

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 173
Chrisblor
September 13, 2012, 1:00pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Chris, this is my last post on this subject , my wording you highlighted was indeed wrong ,I meant as in turned up late and surged the gate in the hope of getting in to the game,anyone around at the time would remember or seen this happening at numerous grounds holding the big games.

Oh there's no doubt there was a large build up of supporters outside the turnstiles just before kick-off. In the previous two years before the semi-final the police had been checking tickets at roadblocks in the streets leading up to the Leppings Lane end. This was mainly to ensure that only fans with tickets got near the stadium but also had the added effect of staggering crowds which meant there was much less crowding directly outside the turnstiles. For some unexplained reason the experienced police officer who had supervised the two previous finals was replaced only weeks before the 1989 semi-final by David Duckenfield who decided not to operate the ticket checks in streets outside the ground. This meant that a bigger crowd of spectators gathered outside the turnstiles than in previous years and the decision to open Gate C to let them in created a more severe rush.

If police had controlled the crowd more effectively and sent late arriving fans into the side entrances to the stand instead of through the main tunnel which led to the middle two pens the disaster would have been avoided. There were many complaints from supporters who previously attended semi-finals at Hillsborough about crushing in the middle of the stand but the FA never acted on these complaints or took the issue seriously. That is why the FA have finally issued an apology this lunch-time for holding the game at a stadium considered to be unsafe.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 173
The Yard Dog
September 13, 2012, 2:24pm
Cocktail Drinker

Actually it was the POLICE which opened gates C and not the Liverpool supporter's section 22 of Hillsborough's Panel Report
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 173
Ipswin
September 13, 2012, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

One of the worst days in football along with  Hysel

Pleased you mentioned that one. Not so angelic that night were they? (oh I forgot it was UEFA and the stadium's fault wasn't it?)

Private Message
Reply: 160 - 173
RoboCod
September 13, 2012, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Pleased you mentioned that one. Not so angelic that night were they? (oh I forgot it was UEFA and the stadium's fault wasn't it?)

Jesus, Grim Outlook is dead, I'm bored, let's go p**s off the Fishy and pick on Aaron.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 13, 2012, 7:38pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

Wanna bet? I wouldn't be at all surprised if Michael Mansfield's reps were handing out flyers to all and sundry (irrespective of whether they lost loved ones or if they were just a bit upset 23 years ago) at the meeting in Liverpool last night.

The legal profession and half of Liverpool will be all over it like a rash especially as the police are such an easy target

Yeah, greedy scousers looking for some money because they were a bit upset, p!ssing on the dead, drunk hooligans, stealing from corpses, fighting with the police.

Ipswin. . . You're a pillock and apparently devoid of any humanity whatsoever. You should be ashamed of yourself (should be. . . I'm sure you won't be)

Reply: 162 - 173
ska face
September 13, 2012, 7:42pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

What's that got to do with anything?

Oh, yes, intercourse all.

People were prosecuted and jailed for their part in that disaster.

Haven't you got 15 year old children to be picking on?
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 13, 2012, 7:48pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

Er? No. . . Several liverpool fans were charged and convicted of involuntary manslaughter and served custodial sentences for their criminality on that night in Heysel!

Therefore, I would suggest they were blamed, convicted and punished for what they did!  I reckon you probably go trolling families of the dead on facebook in your spare time!
Reply: 164 - 173
Ipswin
September 13, 2012, 8:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1054

Yeah, greedy scousers looking for some money because they were a bit upset, p!ssing on the dead, drunk hooligans, stealing from corpses, fighting with the police.

Ipswin. . . You're a pillock and apparently devoid of any humanity whatsoever. You should be ashamed of yourself (should be. . . I'm sure you won't be)

I was of course having a go
a) at the 'no win no pay' legal profession who encourage claims for absolutely anything and everything and
b) the scallys who will come out of the woodwork and will without doubt try to jump on the bandwaggon as soon as any compo claims are mooted

In no way was it a dig at those who lost family members or who were genuinely traumatised in the incident but you read it how you fuckingwant, you usually do.

I leave being a pillock to you as you appear to have set the bar already in that respect on this same subject

Private Message
Reply: 165 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 13, 2012, 8:50pm
Guest User
Some of the people who witnessed the events have experienced ptsd, alcoholism and ended up taking the ultimate step of taking their own lives.   The lawyer you refer to is one of the most respected in the land and absolutely nothing to do with the no win no fee system!

The overwhelming sense of the families, lfc fans and football fans in general has been one of dignity! Your continuing attempt to smear the reputations of  people who have done nothing wrong is beyond contempt!

I might say some provocative things on here but you are beyond the pale (see your heysel post)

Yer a pillock lad!
Reply: 166 - 173
Ipswin
September 13, 2012, 9:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 1054
Some of the people who witnessed the events have experienced ptsd, alcoholism and ended up taking the ultimate step of taking their own lives.   The lawyer you refer to is one of the most respected in the land and absolutely nothing to do with the no win no fee system!

The overwhelming sense of the families, lfc fans and football fans in general has been one of dignity! Your continuing attempt to smear the reputations of  people who have done nothing wrong is beyond contempt!

I might say some provocative things on here but you are beyond the pale (see your heysel post)

Yer a pillock lad!

I am referring to twits who were nowhere near Sheffield on the day and there will be many lawyers who are in the no win no fee game touting for business believe me. Mansfield is one of the best in the land but how respected he is is a matter of opinion. Perhaps you should ask Michael Barrymore and Kenny Noye both of whom are among his clients

My Heysel post merely pointed out that not all Liverpool fans are as angelic as they have been painted in the last few days

Private Message
Reply: 167 - 173
GodHelpUs
September 13, 2012, 9:13pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +21 / -3
Quoted from Ipswin

You really are a disgusting, self satisfied piece of turd aren't you? What the hell does Heysal have to do with it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 173
roundballovalhole
September 13, 2012, 9:22pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

I am referring to twits who were nowhere near Sheffield on the day and there will be many lawyers who are in the no win no fee game touting for business believe me. Mansfield is one of the best in the land but how respected he is is a matter of opinion. Perhaps you should ask Michael Barrymore and Kenny Noye both of whom are among his clients

My Heysel post merely pointed out that not all Liverpool fans are as angelic as they have been painted in the last few days

Potetial clients of and lawyers of no win no fee firms making fraudulent claims for people who were nowhere near sheffield would be committing a crime punishable by prison and prison/striking off respectively!

It's fantastic how the law works  isn't it?
Reply: 169 - 173
nickmariners
September 14, 2012, 9:21am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +513
Gold Stars: 4
Insightful article from When Saturday Comes - written at the time:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1152-september-2012/8991-post-hillsborough-disaster-editorial

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 170 - 173
RoboCod
September 14, 2012, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from nickmariners
Insightful article from When Saturday Comes - written at the time:

http://www.wsc.co.uk/wsc-daily/1152-september-2012/8991-post-hillsborough-disaster-editorial

That's the best piece of journalism I've seen on the whole tragedy. Slightly unnerving to see it was written in 1989, but nobody was listening to the football fans. The piece about the police and their approach to football fans is spot on, it's hard to tell younger people brought up on Sky and all seating family stands but there was a distinctive 'us and them' feel between fans and police through the 70's and 80's and still a fair amount of it now. Thanks for the link.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 173
Garth
September 14, 2012, 11:01am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26

Not all that easy I would suggest, 20 + years of struggle by a commited few to unearth the truth
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 173
Mrs Doyle
September 15, 2012, 7:11am
Whiskey Drinker

"You miss my point I feel.  If someone has deliberately committed a crime then I sincerely hope that justice prevails.  However, let's hope that justice is consistent and that it isn't just attributed to the easy targets. I.e. the police."

YOU MISS THE POINT SPECTACULARLY.

Replace the word POLICE with football fans or "Animals" as the police called them at the time.

It's what happened twenty odd years ago.(FACT) have you not listened to any of it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 173
18 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The truth of hillsborough

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.