18 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
The Yard Dog
September 11, 2012, 12:12am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,443
Gold Stars: 74
Just watched ITV's the truth of Hillsborough.  I can recall watching the events unfold live on TV (I was supposed to be going to that match, working in London at the time and got called into work, was I p***ed off at the time).  As a football fan I hope the truth goes out , the families of the 96 who died on that day, deserved some closure.  I hope they get the truth from the Hillsborough Panel Report, due out shortly.
I can recall on many times in the eighties early nineties how the old bill treated Town supporters when on away days following town.  Chesterfield sticks in my mind, old bill rounding up town supporter's two hours before kick-off, herding them into the open terraces behind the goal, on a very hot day. Supporter's fainting in the heat and old bill would not open the emergency gates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 12:25am

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Just argued on facebook with someone who still believes it was the fans fault. The fans just wanted to get in and out of the crush taking place at the gates. How is that their fault? They went where the police told them to go. And going by the documentary the police ignored cries for help before they opened the gates and even when they did open the gates they still ignored the cries for help. The truth needs to be told to let the people who still blame the fans know that it wasn't their fault at all. R.I.P. 96.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 173
Rick12
September 11, 2012, 12:40am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from The Yard Dog
As a football fan I hope the truth goes out ,
so do I

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 173
hertfordshire mariner
September 11, 2012, 12:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from Gary Haddock
Just argued on facebook with someone who still believes it was the fans fault. The fans just wanted to get in and out of the crush taking place at the gates. How is that their fault? They went where the police told them to go. And going by the documentary the police ignored cries for help before they opened the gates and even when they did open the gates they still ignored the cries for help. The truth needs to be told to let the people who still blame the fans know that it wasn't their fault at all. R.I.P. 96.

how anyone can blame the fans is beyond me. the police were fully to blame. next time you see the person, kick ten bells of excrement out of him and then tell hims hes to blame.

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 1:05am

Brandy Drinker

how anyone can blame the fans is beyond me. the police were fully to blame.

I know, I agree with you, this is why the truth needs to be told and published.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 1:07am

Brandy Drinker

how anyone can blame the fans is beyond me. the police were fully to blame. next time you see the person, kick ten bells of excrement out of him and then tell hims hes to blame.

tempted.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 173
hertfordshire mariner
September 11, 2012, 1:08am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
Quoted from Gary Haddock

I know, I agree with you, this is why the truth needs to be told and published.

i cant belive its taken over 20 years.

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 173
Gary Haddock
September 11, 2012, 1:18am

Brandy Drinker

i cant belive its taken over 20 years.

same here, my dad use to follow town and Liverpool back then, one week he'd be at a Liverpool game the next week he'd be at a town game, don't know if he was there or not with my mum being pregnent with me and my twin, he never really talks about it much but goes mad when anyone tries blaming the fans.

Listening to one of the victim's familly members nd they every year when they hold the memorial it's like having a funeral every year. That must be hell for them, especially knowing that the real truths hasn't been published yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 173
marinette
September 11, 2012, 6:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +38 / -4
Approval: +320
Gold Stars: 3
Of course, at the time, there was a fair bit of trouble surrounding football in general, relating to the behaviour of some so-called fans, so it's probably not surprising that the police were unsympathetic to people who wanted to get onto the pitch. It's clear to me that those police weren't aware of the seriousness of the situation or of the tragedy that was unfolding.  I think the main problem was lack of communication between the police / stewards outside the ground and those inside it.  But anyway, in my mind I relate Hillsborough to football violence - I see the two as interconnected, but not in an obvious way.  I detest the stupid glorification that we hear now of the violence surrounding football before Hillsborough - in my opinion, that violence led indirectly to real tragedy in the end.  If people (and I'm referring to the minority who were always looking for trouble) had behaved like civilised human beings, there would have been no need to put up those cages to segregate supporters and it would have been so much easier for the victims to escape from the Leppings Lane End.

The truth about Hillsborough has always been out there - it depends who you listened to and believed.  I have lived in Liverpool in the past and I have friends who survived Hillsborough; their version of events was infinitely more believable than one put out by the scumbag Sun filth.  I read (on the BBC website, I think) a recent report about a former Sun journalist who wrote an article about Hillsborough at the time.  He is now saying that his words were taken and badly twisted by his editor, and given a headline something like 'The Truth about Hillsborough', when really it wasn't the truth at all.  The journalist was horrified (he said), but just didn't have the power or the guts to confront those in charge of the newspaper at the time.  

Private Message
Reply: 8 - 173
STB
September 11, 2012, 7:27am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
I attended that game, possibly one of the worst moments of my life.
In my opinion, it was a terrible accident.
RIP to all who died.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 173
18 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The truth of hillsborough

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.