Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Season Over?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 22 Guests

Season Over?

This thread currently has 18,788 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
August 15, 2012, 3:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Gary Haddock

why not? got to be open minded these days.

There is a good old saying, you are only as good as your last game.  

Opinion and support changes with results and I'll think you find that Town fans tell it as it is on whole.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 81
barralad
August 15, 2012, 4:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Marinerz93

There is a good old saying, you are only as good as your last game.  

Opinion and support changes with results and I'll think you find that Town fans tell it as it is on whole.

I think this makes a very good point. When I'm replying to a thread "Just Back" I'm only thinking about what I felt about the performance I've just witnessed. Based on last night (and Saturday) I do not think we have what it takes to get out of this league. In fact I had an overwhelming feeling of deja vu when thinking about what I witnessed  in the first couple of games last season.
Grimps also makes a great point. We clearly aren't the only team with a clutch of new players. If it is so difficult to gel then just perhaps we might persist with players from the previous season who actually did better in many cases than those that replaced them. Better the devil you know...??  

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 81
woodi147
August 15, 2012, 4:16pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 1
What a total load off balderdash this thread is
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 81
RonMariner
August 15, 2012, 4:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,658
Gold Stars: 226
We are all dissapointed, but it is very early days yet.

One reason we are dissapointed is that our expectations were so high, based on the players we brought in. Well the new players are still the same players they were a week ago so there is every chance that, once they are in an extablished formation and pattern of play, they can be successful.

As has been pointed out, Crawley had a poor start the year they walked the BSP as Champions.

It's how we finish the season rather than how we start it that will really count, providing we don't give ourselves too high a mountain to climb.

Everything will seem much better when we have a thumping win on Saturday!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 81
voice of reason
August 15, 2012, 4:59pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
It would be stupid to write us off so soon but I think based on the two games you would be even more stupid to back us to do anything this season...

What is worrying is the same mistakes and frailties are happening this season as what was happening last, so when does this issue become a tactical one rather than individual mistakes?

I know 4-3-3 hasn't looked great for us but I don't think 4-4-2 is flexible enough... Players struggle to pick up space and we get closed down too quick...

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 81
BlackandWhiteBarmy
August 15, 2012, 5:10pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Quoted from Gary Haddock
the season is just begining, Kidderminster hasn't even scored a goal yet alone got any points, and Mansfield also don't have any points, but do you really and realistically think we'll still be at this end of the table in 1 months time? if you do then you may as give up and stop going and posting and let the rest of us who have more faith in town enjoy our season. UP THE MARINERS! in the words of Rob Scott, if you don't f@cking like it don't come!

What does it matter how other teams have started? Point being everyone blamed our slow start last season for us not getting in the play-offs. We aren't Usain Bolt, we can't start slowly and still win. We've dropped points in the last ten minutes of both opening games, another lesson not learnt from last season. Faith! Hope! Mike Lyons knocked them out of me years ago. As for enjoying your season, have you ever?

The only thing a good Stilton should have in it is mould, not f**king Apricots
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 81
BlackandWhiteBarmy
August 15, 2012, 5:21pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +15 / -6
Quoted from bradzmilne

A reality check, am sorry but were going to have to accept we wont win every game in this league regardless of whether we are a big dog in the league. Strong squad, we more than matched stronger division opposition even if it was in friendlies, plus the players we kept from last season are more than good enough and then the players we brought in should add real quality to the existing squad

The players we had from last season were part of a team that finished 11th. How do you know the players we brought in will add real quality. Ford was rubbish last time he was here, I knew of Greg Pearson because of his goal against us in our last league match and I'd heard of Aswad Thomas because he had a good game against us and got shouted at. Never heard of the rest so I can only tell how much quality they bring by watching them and at the minute I'd say they bring very little. When will people get it into their heads that friendlies mean nothing.

The only thing a good Stilton should have in it is mould, not f**king Apricots
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 81
Gary Haddock
August 15, 2012, 6:03pm

Neither above nor beneath
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.52
Rep Score: +44 / -5
Approval: +6
Quoted from BlackandWhiteBarmy

What does it matter how other teams have started? Point being everyone blamed our slow start last season for us not getting in the play-offs. We aren't Usain Bolt, we can't start slowly and still win. We've dropped points in the last ten minutes of both opening games, another lesson not learnt from last season. Faith! Hope! Mike Lyons knocked them out of me years ago. As for enjoying your season, have you ever?

it wasn't the bad start that cost us play-off finish lol. good god never heard such dribble wasn't on here much last season so didn't see. but come on. what was we 3 to 6 points of play-offs? 2-3 more wins was needed, those 3 wins at any part of the 16 we lost would of done no certain part of the season, wheather 1 from begining, another from the middle of season and from the end dosen't matter or even if we turned some of the 15 that we drew last season into wins would of done the trick can't actually say or it's because of the bad start, what happens if we started of great finished shite then lol it's because of then end now that would make more sense not being able to keep up the good form ran out of steam like.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 81
TownSNAFU5
August 15, 2012, 6:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,876
Gold Stars: 42
With about 95% of games to go, it is a marathon.   Like a marathon the very early leaders are not usually there at the finish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 81
bradzmilne
August 15, 2012, 7:30pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,400
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from BlackandWhiteBarmy

The players we had from last season were part of a team that finished 11th. How do you know the players we brought in will add real quality. Ford was rubbish last time he was here, I knew of Greg Pearson because of his goal against us in our last league match and I'd heard of Aswad Thomas because he had a good game against us and got shouted at. Never heard of the rest so I can only tell how much quality they bring by watching them and at the minute I'd say they bring very little. When will people get it into their heads that friendlies mean nothing.

Well if you havent heard of signings, the first thing i do is check stats then read other their ex clubs fourms. The vast majority of signings have good records at previous clubs or will be missed by other clubs. If you look at each signing individually they should be capable of doing very well in this league.
-Andy Cook - Good goalscoring record at this level
-Greg Pearson - Scored goals in the league, alot of burton fans wouldnt of minded him staying
-Tony Ford - Chesterfield fans said he was a very good defender but couldnt keep fit but still would of kept him on a play to play contract.
-Aswad Thomas - A player that did very well at Braintree last season, chased by a number of teams. We offered him the best deal so he signed for us.
-Joe Colbeck - Hereford fans didnt like him at the end, could the comments be bitter? because in his first season at Hereford their fans loved him. He got an injury lay-off and struggled to break back into the team.
-Derek Niven - Loved by Chesterfield fans, a player that they wanted to keep but for whatever reason left. The vast majority of users on here knew of him prior to signing and all agreed it was a very good signing.
-Sam Hatton - Struggled in League 2, but was very solid for Wimbledon in their promotion season. He may of even been in the Team of the Year?
-Greg Flemming - Cant see him featuring.

Yes a few players at then end of last season but still the main skeleton of that squad remains. With that added quality it should equal a stronger team.
You cant win every game at the end of the day

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 81
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Season Over?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.