Hull City match thread

This thread currently has 9,548 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
merge shottx
July 20, 2012, 10:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
town looked good ,like the look of fleming in goal good hands and confident ,wood was impressive at both full back positions,cook up front is a tank !!! like him a lot and pearson is good as well ,am well happy with what am seeing ,well done town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 61
merge shottx
July 20, 2012, 10:12pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +1 / 0
town looked good ,like the look of fleming in goal good hands and confident ,wood was impressive at both full back positions,cook up front is a tank !!! like him a lot and pearson is good as well ,am well happy with what am seeing ,well done town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 61
TownSNAFU5
July 20, 2012, 10:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
"Merge shottx",did we look twice as good then?  

I liked your positive assessment of the team and some individuals.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 61
Tommy
July 20, 2012, 10:25pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Optimism for me is growing with each game.

Miller and Pearson were solid, and seem to have a really good understanding between them now.

Wood and Thomas had good games. I can't see any right wingers getting the better of Aswad Thomas. What i like about him too is that because he's quick and knows he won't get done for pace, he pushes up to close the ball down straight away on the wingers first touch, rather than keeping his distance and backing off.

Niven, i can guarantee, is going to be this season's boo boy unfortuantely. I also think it will be unfair. Yes, he hit a few stray passes in the first 15 minutes. But after that he gave it simple and throughout the whole half he kept wanting the ball and wasn't afraid to ask for it straight after making a mistake. He's got character. He also broke up play well several times which seemed to go unnoticed by the people that were slagging him off every time he misplaced a pass. Anyway, the rest of the half he generally kept it simple and his passing was fine after the shaky start.

Thanoj did ok but would've liked to have seen him get forward a bit more, knowing that Niven was always going to sit deep and cover.

Cook did really well. A great piece of play in the second half to control, turn round a man and ping a left footed ball out in front of Artus was a great bit of play. I'd expect him to start at Southport on August 11th.

Pearson didn't have too much to go on but worked hard and showed some nice turns/touches when dropping wide or deep. I can see him troubling plenty of BSP defences with his combination of strength and pace though.

Southwell impressed me again. The thing that strikes me about him is that for a 1st year professional, he is strong, holds the ball up well, and is intelligent to know when to lay it off and when to turn. All things you don't usually associate too much with young strikers just finishing their YT years. We're used to seeing the likes of Mulready, Andy Taylor, Johnny Rowan, Mansaram etc come up from the youths and get pushed around all over the place by defenders. Dayle appears to be able to handle himself out there which is great.

Soares came on and looked good again. It's pretty much like having a new player now he has regained his confidence. Great at finding space, turning and running at the opposition. I can see him being a big player for us this season.

UTM

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 61
Garth
July 20, 2012, 10:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.93
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,913
Gold Stars: 25
Town looked really good tonight, difficult to pick any individual as MOM, but you have to admire Brads performance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 61
cod.gtfc
July 20, 2012, 10:29pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +31 / -14
Approval: -1
With regards to Niven the Chesterfield fans did say he can't pass a ball, its his other attibutes that makes him good.

Hopefully people don't boo him just because of his wayward passing. Defensive midfielders are the sort of players you don't miss until they are not playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 61
upthestripes
July 20, 2012, 10:31pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.40
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from cod.gtfc

Hopefully people don't boo him just because of his wayward passing. Defensive midfielders are the sort of players you don't miss until they are not playing.

You can bet your bottom dollar plenty will do unfortunately.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 61
Mighty_Mariner
July 20, 2012, 10:32pm
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,237
Gold Stars: 10
Good summary Tommy, agree completely. Just to add to it I thought Colbeck was excellent to tonight! Ran all game never gave them a minutes peace and battled for every ball. Also showed some very neat touches and good ball control! His pace the scare the shite out of BSP defenders this year! After 10 minutes I was thinking.. Michael who????

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 61
acko338
July 20, 2012, 10:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Panther was mostly a lousy passer but he kept on winning that ball back - Niven can be a great guy just breaking up the opposition attacks and having players looking for an easy out ball to start attacks up again.

The team needs a firm back bone before hitting the back four this year. Niven can do that job without any glamour attached to the role - good acquisition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 61
Tommy
July 20, 2012, 10:55pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner
Good summary Tommy, agree completely. Just to add to it I thought Colbeck was excellent to tonight! Ran all game never gave them a minutes peace and battled for every ball. Also showed some very neat touches and good ball control! His pace the scare the shite out of BSP defenders this year! After 10 minutes I was thinking.. Michael who????

Sorry yeah i forgot to mention Colbeck.

He was really good tonight. Very direct style. Better movement than Coulson too. Watch him closely off the ball, he makes a run to take the marker away then checks back to get the ball to feet, and he runs into areas/angles where he can recieve the ball to feet a lot more than Coulson did (who often just set off and ran forward towards the centre-forward position wanting it played over the top).

I really get the feeling Colbeck will give some left backs in the BSP a torrid time.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 61
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Hull City match thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.