Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › One less place to build a new stadium, now where?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 38 Guests

One less place to build a new stadium, now where?

This thread currently has 16,020 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
nelly_gtfc
April 23, 2012, 12:00am
Guest User
I don't think we will ever get a new stadium if this goes ahead, where the hell else could we of built one, Great Coates was one big farce over the last 15+ years, so waste of time there.

And before the usual pessimists say "we will never need a new stadium" plenty of clubs the size of Grimsby or less! have new stadiums!
Quoted Text
Developers hoping to build homes at former Macaulay Lane rubbish tip

DEVELOPERS aiming to transform the former Grimsby rubbish tip at Macaulay Lane into a residential area and country park have renewed proposals for the site.

Talks between North East Lincolnshire Council planning officials and Millennium Park Grimsby Ltd are ongoing about an extension of the planning consent.
Further reading here >> Link
STB
April 23, 2012, 12:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Welcome to GTFC, built on a foundation of rubbish would've been a great mission statement.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
AdamHaddock
April 23, 2012, 1:35am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from STB
Welcome to GTFC, built on a foundation of rubbish would've been a great mission statement.

I'm sure Cummins, Hudson, Makofo and Colgan will be the first to buy houses there. Anyway, getting a new stadium is impossible as long as we're relying on retail partners. It'll only happen if NELC back us (just seen something pink floating past my window).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
aldi_01
April 23, 2012, 7:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whilst I do see the logic of wanting retail establishments and pub chains etc on board it did seem a little silly to simply wait for those to come to us first before building. Perhaps if we had gone ahead, built the stadium and people had had chance to see it being used those establishments would've come...the end of the day, they don't need us, we need them. Could be argued it was a very shortsighted way to look. Couple that with a local council who are flipping awful and promoting anything in the town and are certainly not forward thinking and it was only ever going to be a big failure...

An example of the councils inept thinking is Bradley...whilst it does offer something to the community it simply isn't enough. So much more could've been done and the cost to actually book out the stadium is actually more than what GTFC charge for BP, and thats providing the whiny fornicators at Borough won't stamp their feet.

The fact is with a useless council and a club who like dragging their heels it was never really going to happen. I know there are teams who have improved no end by installing a new ground etc but at present i think the money would be better spent on the team and development of the youth set up...may be if Fenty had stopped trying desperately to be the chairman who managed to get us a new ground and invested the money waste don that into the team he wouldn't be remembered as the chairman who contributed to the clubs worst run in History and our fall from the football league...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
rancido
April 23, 2012, 3:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from aldi_01
Whilst I do see the logic of wanting retail establishments and pub chains etc on board it did seem a little silly to simply wait for those to come to us first before building. Perhaps if we had gone ahead, built the stadium and people had had chance to see it being used those establishments would've come...the end of the day, they don't need us, we need them. Could be argued it was a very shortsighted way to look. Couple that with a local council who are flipping awful and promoting anything in the town and are certainly not forward thinking and it was only ever going to be a big failure...

An example of the councils inept thinking is Bradley...whilst it does offer something to the community it simply isn't enough. So much more could've been done and the cost to actually book out the stadium is actually more than what GTFC charge for BP, and thats providing the whiny fornicators at Borough won't stamp their feet.

The fact is with a useless council and a club who like dragging their heels it was never really going to happen. I know there are teams who have improved no end by installing a new ground etc but at present i think the money would be better spent on the team and development of the youth set up...may be if Fenty had stopped trying desperately to be the chairman who managed to get us a new ground and invested the money waste don that into the team he wouldn't be remembered as the chairman who contributed to the clubs worst run in History and our fall from the football league...

The reason JF pushed for the new stadium was to ensure non-football income streams to help fund the club. At the time he proposed this we were not in the position we are in now. If the Council had been more pro-active at the time then things could have been different. Of course that didn't allow for Great Coates residents wanting to preserve their olde worlde village and the discovery of a bird that could only fly to the one site we identified.
The club could never have funded the project on its own and needed an anchor tenant to make the scheme financially viable.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
hook line and sinker
April 23, 2012, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
how on earth teams such as Brighton rovrum doncaster colchester  chesterfield shrewsbury  morecambe etc all get new grounds is beyond me.O'wait its because of our lack of ambition from both club and council. Why all that money was spent on bradley to entertain grimsby borough when all it is used for is for is a bunch of "wasnt good enough at town" or half decent sunday league players to play for gy borough who are utter garbage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
TAGG
April 23, 2012, 7:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
This makes no odds because we will never have a new ground while we have the 5Star member running things.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
moosey_club
April 23, 2012, 8:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
My latest information is that the former Western School site is an option, council looking to sell on  as its costing them money, win win.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
aldi_01
April 24, 2012, 7:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
That's a good shout but it's got awful road links and absolutely no links to station or any parking etc...plus i'm sure the people around it would object and their is still an education provision in some of the buildings....

That said, it will be another site that could be investigated, or should've been at the time but won't be...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
arryarryarry
April 24, 2012, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
how on earth teams such as Brighton rovrum doncaster colchester  chesterfield shrewsbury  morecambe etc all get new grounds is beyond me.O'wait its because of our lack of ambition from both club and council. Why all that money was spent on bradley to entertain grimsby borough when all it is used for is for is a bunch of "wasnt good enough at town" or half decent sunday league players to play for gy borough who are utter garbage.

Can't really disagree with that.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
arryarryarry
April 24, 2012, 11:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from moosey_club
My latest information is that the former Western School site is an option, council looking to sell on  as its costing them money, win win.

That is what I heard.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 58
marinerian
April 24, 2012, 12:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
Build it near the Humber Bridge and move the Town of Grimsby with it  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 58
rancido
April 24, 2012, 3:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96

I think that is unfair as regards the club . Both BC and JF have tried to instigate a move to a new ground . The biggest stumbling block has always seemed to be the council. If I remeber correctly the council were quite keen on the club having a new ground but never offered any practical or financial help. Then again if any financial help had been forth coming then a lot of NE Lincs ratepayers would have been up in arms about council cash been used to support the club.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 58
Maringer
April 24, 2012, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,489
Gold Stars: 185
The Western site would be ideal if we could improve the transport links enough. I propose that we widen the A1136 into a dual-carriageway for easier access to the ground direct from the A180.

I'm sure nobody will argue with this.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 58
marinerian
April 24, 2012, 5:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Make a floating ground in the Humber!

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 58
bradzmilne
April 24, 2012, 6:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,400
Gold Stars: 29
I remember john saying that good news was coming up on the stadium at the fans fourm. I'm still waiting  

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 58
lawsman
April 24, 2012, 7:17pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +2 / -1
We will never get a new ground until we can get a council who is prepared to back the club. It always never fails to annoy me when this council talks about providing facilities for leisure and sports activities, and then goes and shoot themselves in the foot by saying that it all depends on private investment.
Instead of hiding money away in Icelandic and other overseas banks, ( £7 million +) why not use our money to provide these facilities and rebuild out of date facilities for the future of our children and ultimately grand children, after all it is our money and why should councillors claim it all in expenses.
           This and subsequent councils should back GTFC both financially and services should be provided.

I am not saying spend £7 million on the club but at least look at ways it can help.

Someone mentioned Bradley, well it has less football played on there on a sunday than before it was developed. Incidentally next season I have heard that Cleethorpes Town will be sharing the ground with Grimsby Borough. On this team Gy Borough how many games do they have to lose before they sack the management, it just goes to show they are only pub team players, as the better players go out of town to play as they get paid.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 58
FishOutOfWater
April 25, 2012, 1:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.14
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from bradzmilne
I remember john saying that good news was coming up on the stadium at the fans fourm. I'm still waiting  

Which leads on to another old song

Some of the other lines ring true for us fans...

I'm just a fool
Don't you know I'm waiting
I'm just a fool to keep waiting

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 58
nelly_gtfc
April 26, 2012, 2:08am
Guest User
Well the council were looking to close schools down, to obviously save costs - imagine the outcry knowing a school would be closed to build a Town stadium.
Reply: 18 - 58
aaron rattray
April 26, 2012, 6:34am
allright viewers?
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +71 / -90
Approval: -4
We shall still be playing at blundell park in 50 years, provided we are still a club then

i am a season ticket holder and i always will be one  

"aaron is the next michael barrymore, hes a comedinan"

it is official, i am a comedian

]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 58
nelly_gtfc
May 5, 2012, 8:46pm
Guest User
The land next to Bradley pictures, where the rapeseed field is, this would make an ideal place for a new stadium.

Reply: 20 - 58
mariner91
May 5, 2012, 8:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,625
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from 470
The land next to Bradley pictures, where the rapeseed field is, this would make an ideal place for a new stadium.

Would it? Its a bit out of town.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 58
nelly_gtfc
May 5, 2012, 9:05pm
Guest User
I wonder who owns this land...
Quoted from mariner91

Would it? Its a bit out of town.
Well... it's around 2.5 miles for me to get to Blundell Park and I live near the Town Centre

It's around 3 miles to get to Bradley Road, I could walk there no problem.
Reply: 22 - 58
mariner91
May 5, 2012, 9:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 470
I wonder who owns this land... Well... it's around 2.5 miles for me to get to Blundell Park and I live near the Town Centre

I mean in terms of pubs and shops around the area.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 58
craigy
May 5, 2012, 9:08pm
Upper Findus
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +92
You got the Bradley crossroads pub
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 58
marinerian
May 5, 2012, 9:43pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I say the land near Wybers Cross Roads and The River Freshney, sod the house owners next to it  

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 58
nelly_gtfc
May 5, 2012, 9:59pm
Guest User
Surely their is some disused land in Grimsby that no one uses that could be sold for use as a Stadium.  

Plenty of spare land when you look on http://maps.google.co.uk/ around the Grimsby area.  Take for example Aylesby Road, plenty of land around there.

Reply: 26 - 58
marinerian
May 5, 2012, 11:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
How much of it is green belt or has building restrictions?

Would have been a good place with it being near the colleg,next to A46 and 3 routes to A180

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 58
grimsby pete
May 7, 2012, 6:36pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,794
Gold Stars: 222
We could always go back to our 1st home  at Abbey Road,

Before anybody says it,

We could knock the houses down.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 58
AdamHaddock
May 7, 2012, 7:08pm

Main Stander
There's loads of farmland between Scaffa, New Waltham and Hewitt's Curcus but to be honest I think the only realistic sites would be the Macauley tip and King George. Doubt the local schools would be happy with the latter one

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 58
pseudonym
May 7, 2012, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from AdamHaddock
There's loads of farmland between Scaffa, New Waltham and Hewitt's Curcus but to be honest I think the only realistic sites would be the Macauley tip and King George. Doubt the local schools would be happy with the latter one
Wasn't the last indication on Peaks Parkway, Waltham end  ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 58
grimsby pete
May 7, 2012, 7:15pm

Exile
Why can we not increase Blundell Park to a 15,000 stadium and add a conference centre behind the Old Findus Stand,

Parking would be a problem,

BUT

Parking has always been a problem,

Underground car park ?

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 58
AdamHaddock
May 7, 2012, 7:16pm

Main Stander
Don't know, never heard that. I remember after last year's fans forum this board was rife with rumours about the Western School site.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 58
nelly_gtfc
May 7, 2012, 7:31pm
Guest User
Just so annoying, we hear something about once a year and then it's like dead, would be nice to know if the club is still pursuing a new stadium.

Might have to e-mail Mr Fenty.

All these bloody teams who were languishing in League 2 or below for literally years and years! Rotherham, Chesterfield, Shrewsbury, Oxford, Morcambe, Doncaster etc etc while we were in the Championship twice over a good 10 years and we are just languishing still at Blundell Park with bad facilitys.  If we had got a ground back then while we was in the Championship we may not be in the circumstances we are in now.

Can't look into the past though, all about the future, just wish the club would push on and stop messing about - 20 years of this and that, it's ridiculous and gives false hope for the fans all these years.  
Reply: 33 - 58
cleefish
May 7, 2012, 7:31pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from 470
I wonder who owns this land... Well... it's around 2.5 miles for me to get to Blundell Park and I live near the Town Centre

I believe it all as far as the eye can see belongs to Strawsons estates wasn't a piece next to it originally offered to the club far a ground.utmm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 58
AdamHaddock
May 7, 2012, 7:36pm

Main Stander
Just had a quick peruse through Google Earth and one decent sized site that jumps out is the sports pitches between Humberstone Road Bluecrest and Colombia Road. Council owned I assume?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 58
semilapsedmariner
May 7, 2012, 7:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: +0
The ploggers isn't big enough by itself.'cuase car parking would be a big problem.
And acess would be a nightmare.

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred,jealousy,boastfullness,
disregard of all rules and a sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence;
In other words it is war without the shooting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 58
jock dock tower
May 7, 2012, 8:02pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
We could build it out of lego like fish fingers and call it the fish finger butty stadium. Synchronises luvverly with our fishy heritage, and Cap'n Bird's Eye of course.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 58
semilapsedmariner
May 7, 2012, 8:22pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: +0
The ploggers would do if they could get the old birds eye site for car parking.
Then us locals could still live in peace.

Serious sport has nothing to do with fair play.
It is bound up with hatred,jealousy,boastfullness,
disregard of all rules and a sadistic pleasure in witnessing violence;
In other words it is war without the shooting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 58
AdamHaddock
May 7, 2012, 8:41pm

Main Stander
Quoted from grimsby pete

Underground car park ?

Why not. Ajax's ground has what looks like a motorway running under it so yeah. A stadium on ploggers with a car park underneath

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 58
wigworld
May 7, 2012, 8:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
Gold Stars: 29
Ploggers is a long trek from the train stations.

What happened to the idea of using land around the docks?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 58
voice of reason
May 7, 2012, 9:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +46 / -17
Approval: -1
Let it go guys... The new ground balderdash is JF's 'ace' card that he pulls out on special occassions, approx once a year... Usually the special occassion is we are playing extra shite and he is trying to re-ignite some interest...

The only good news is - apparently the tide is due in, can anyone confirm this???  

"I am surprised that Bright pratt like you fails to get a grasp of the queens English been as your allways pulling up anyone who fails to follow your thoughts and if they don't give you verbal pats on the back get real and grow up this is a free speech site.UTMM".(Cleefish, 2012)       
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 58
Marinerz93
May 7, 2012, 9:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from voice of reason
Let it go guys... The new ground balderdash is JF's 'ace' card that he pulls out on special occassions, approx once a year... Usually the special occassion is we are playing extra shite and he is trying to re-ignite some interest...

The only good news is - apparently the tide is due in, can anyone confirm this???  

Not according to King Canute  

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 58
GYinScuntland
May 7, 2012, 9:54pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
This really has been going on far too long to even warrant discussion eh lads and lasses? There was an idea , lost in the mists of time, of buying up the houses on Harrington St, spinning the ground round and developing it. If only that had happened we might now have a half decent ground. (sorry but I hate the word Stadium). sodomist! I've just discussed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 58
Poojah
May 7, 2012, 10:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,473
Gold Stars: 1,500
Rotherham's new 'New York Stadium' is looking pretty tidy, especially considering it's only a 12,000 seater. It's amazing what can be done when you're forced into finding a new home (though it took Brighton a little longer, mind!).

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 58
petethemariner
May 7, 2012, 10:12pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +36 / -2
Approval: +1,011
Gold Stars: 16
Rotherham's stadium looks brilliant - doesn't it make you sick that a club certainly no bigger than us and arguably smaller, can do this when they were almost bankrupt 3 years ago, while we have talked about doing this for 20 years and not one brick on a new stadium has been laid?
Even tiny clubs like Dagenham and the like  with gates of 1500 have made ground improvements, while BP continues to crumble - just how long will it be before the wooden  main stand is condemned as unsafe? - surely only a matter of time.
I'm not  sure who to blame, previous board members, current board members, Fentys spin, or the local council -  if the truth be known it's probably a mixture of the three, whatever the reason its just plain  depressing and i have  absolutely no confidence that any new stadium will be developed for the  next foreseeable  few years..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 7, 2012, 10:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
to be fair, thats what we should be modelling ourselves on. will we ever achieve 6000+ regular gates at the status we are now? no...........it would be fair to say that if we "should" achieve league status again then this IS a realistic possibility. the ground will never (ever) be built near king george because of the traffic infrastructure and the housing surrounding it.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 58
GYinScuntland
May 7, 2012, 10:30pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from petethemariner
Rotherham's stadium looks brilliant - doesn't it make you sick that a club certainly no bigger than us and arguably smaller, can do this when they were almost bankrupt 3 years ago, while we have talked about doing this for 20 years and not one brick on a new stadium has been laid?
Even tiny clubs like Dagenham and the like  with gates of 1500 have made ground improvements, while BP continues to crumble - just how long will it be before the wooden  main stand is condemned as unsafe? - surely only a matter of time.
I'm not  sure who to blame, previous board members, current board members, Fentys spin, or the local council -  if the truth be known it's probably a mixture of the three, whatever the reason its just plain  depressing and i have  absolutely no confidence that any new stadium will be developed for the  next foreseeable  few years..

Sums up perfectly how our club seems to have ground (no pun intended) to a halt. As I said previously, they had the chance of developing BP years ago but this Great Coates / Conoco white Elephant just keeps rearing it's ugly head. All the clubs mentioned in previous posts are smaller, or at least were, and in a lot of cases a new or vastly redveloped ground seems to have  been a deciding factor in their success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 7, 2012, 10:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
cant we just sue conaco!

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 58
GYinScuntland
May 7, 2012, 10:36pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
cant we just sue conaco!

We aint a big enough club to do that.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 7, 2012, 10:39pm

Barley Wine Drinker
exactly!!!!!! lmao

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 58
GYinScuntland
May 7, 2012, 10:46pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
exactly!!!!!! lmao

Pity it aint against our 'uman rights not having a new ground  eh?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 7, 2012, 10:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
i think the football is tho    

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 58
GYinScuntland
May 7, 2012, 10:52pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
i think the football is tho    

Brilliant, you found a loophole.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 58
WOZOFGRIMSBY
May 7, 2012, 10:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
its all in the wording my good friend

Rose is on fire

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 58
grimsby pete
May 8, 2012, 2:16pm

Exile
Rotherhams ground looks great,

DON'T LIKE THE LOOK OF THE PITCH THOUGH.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 58
big bad bob
May 8, 2012, 2:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: -5
Yeah is a bit sandy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 58
nelly_gtfc
May 14, 2012, 10:32pm
Guest User
I know it's only a new 4,000 capacity stadium but it's only taken Gainsborough Trinity a year or two to get it sorted ready to tender.

I know people mentioned the Western School area for a proposed stadium for Grimsby, funnily enough Gainsborough building there's on a former school >> Link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-18020270
Reply: 57 - 58
mariner91
May 14, 2012, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from 470
I know it's only a new 4,000 capacity stadium but it's only taken Gainsborough Trinity a year or two to get it sorted ready to tender.

I know people mentioned the Western School area for a proposed stadium for Grimsby, funnily enough Gainsborough building there's on a former school >> Link

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-18020270

Shame really, the Northolme has bags of character.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › One less place to build a new stadium, now where?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.