Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › One less place to build a new stadium, now where?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

One less place to build a new stadium, now where?

This thread currently has 16,021 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
nelly_gtfc
April 23, 2012, 12:00am
Guest User
I don't think we will ever get a new stadium if this goes ahead, where the hell else could we of built one, Great Coates was one big farce over the last 15+ years, so waste of time there.

And before the usual pessimists say "we will never need a new stadium" plenty of clubs the size of Grimsby or less! have new stadiums!
Quoted Text
Developers hoping to build homes at former Macaulay Lane rubbish tip

DEVELOPERS aiming to transform the former Grimsby rubbish tip at Macaulay Lane into a residential area and country park have renewed proposals for the site.

Talks between North East Lincolnshire Council planning officials and Millennium Park Grimsby Ltd are ongoing about an extension of the planning consent.
Further reading here >> Link
STB
April 23, 2012, 12:05am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Welcome to GTFC, built on a foundation of rubbish would've been a great mission statement.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 58
AdamHaddock
April 23, 2012, 1:35am

Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +36 / -5
Approval: +2,838
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from STB
Welcome to GTFC, built on a foundation of rubbish would've been a great mission statement.

I'm sure Cummins, Hudson, Makofo and Colgan will be the first to buy houses there. Anyway, getting a new stadium is impossible as long as we're relying on retail partners. It'll only happen if NELC back us (just seen something pink floating past my window).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 58
aldi_01
April 23, 2012, 7:16am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Whilst I do see the logic of wanting retail establishments and pub chains etc on board it did seem a little silly to simply wait for those to come to us first before building. Perhaps if we had gone ahead, built the stadium and people had had chance to see it being used those establishments would've come...the end of the day, they don't need us, we need them. Could be argued it was a very shortsighted way to look. Couple that with a local council who are flipping awful and promoting anything in the town and are certainly not forward thinking and it was only ever going to be a big failure...

An example of the councils inept thinking is Bradley...whilst it does offer something to the community it simply isn't enough. So much more could've been done and the cost to actually book out the stadium is actually more than what GTFC charge for BP, and thats providing the whiny fornicators at Borough won't stamp their feet.

The fact is with a useless council and a club who like dragging their heels it was never really going to happen. I know there are teams who have improved no end by installing a new ground etc but at present i think the money would be better spent on the team and development of the youth set up...may be if Fenty had stopped trying desperately to be the chairman who managed to get us a new ground and invested the money waste don that into the team he wouldn't be remembered as the chairman who contributed to the clubs worst run in History and our fall from the football league...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 58
rancido
April 23, 2012, 3:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from aldi_01
Whilst I do see the logic of wanting retail establishments and pub chains etc on board it did seem a little silly to simply wait for those to come to us first before building. Perhaps if we had gone ahead, built the stadium and people had had chance to see it being used those establishments would've come...the end of the day, they don't need us, we need them. Could be argued it was a very shortsighted way to look. Couple that with a local council who are flipping awful and promoting anything in the town and are certainly not forward thinking and it was only ever going to be a big failure...

An example of the councils inept thinking is Bradley...whilst it does offer something to the community it simply isn't enough. So much more could've been done and the cost to actually book out the stadium is actually more than what GTFC charge for BP, and thats providing the whiny fornicators at Borough won't stamp their feet.

The fact is with a useless council and a club who like dragging their heels it was never really going to happen. I know there are teams who have improved no end by installing a new ground etc but at present i think the money would be better spent on the team and development of the youth set up...may be if Fenty had stopped trying desperately to be the chairman who managed to get us a new ground and invested the money waste don that into the team he wouldn't be remembered as the chairman who contributed to the clubs worst run in History and our fall from the football league...

The reason JF pushed for the new stadium was to ensure non-football income streams to help fund the club. At the time he proposed this we were not in the position we are in now. If the Council had been more pro-active at the time then things could have been different. Of course that didn't allow for Great Coates residents wanting to preserve their olde worlde village and the discovery of a bird that could only fly to the one site we identified.
The club could never have funded the project on its own and needed an anchor tenant to make the scheme financially viable.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 58
hook line and sinker
April 23, 2012, 7:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
how on earth teams such as Brighton rovrum doncaster colchester  chesterfield shrewsbury  morecambe etc all get new grounds is beyond me.O'wait its because of our lack of ambition from both club and council. Why all that money was spent on bradley to entertain grimsby borough when all it is used for is for is a bunch of "wasnt good enough at town" or half decent sunday league players to play for gy borough who are utter garbage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 58
TAGG
April 23, 2012, 7:55pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,962
Gold Stars: 124
This makes no odds because we will never have a new ground while we have the 5Star member running things.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 58
moosey_club
April 23, 2012, 8:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
My latest information is that the former Western School site is an option, council looking to sell on  as its costing them money, win win.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 58
aldi_01
April 24, 2012, 7:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
That's a good shout but it's got awful road links and absolutely no links to station or any parking etc...plus i'm sure the people around it would object and their is still an education provision in some of the buildings....

That said, it will be another site that could be investigated, or should've been at the time but won't be...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 58
arryarryarry
April 24, 2012, 11:48am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
how on earth teams such as Brighton rovrum doncaster colchester  chesterfield shrewsbury  morecambe etc all get new grounds is beyond me.O'wait its because of our lack of ambition from both club and council. Why all that money was spent on bradley to entertain grimsby borough when all it is used for is for is a bunch of "wasnt good enough at town" or half decent sunday league players to play for gy borough who are utter garbage.

Can't really disagree with that.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 58
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › One less place to build a new stadium, now where?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.