Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 24 Guests

The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

This thread currently has 56,511 views. Print
37 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
February 21, 2012, 10:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
I posted this on the Grim Outlook and someone suggested it should get a wider audience. So here it is, slightly edited because I know you Fishy lot are sensitive/scared of Fenty objecting to a fans and shareholders opinion, for you to consider...

I know this whole issue has been touched upon in another post but I felt this statement and the issue in general deserves to be taken apart on its own thread.

And here it is in all it's glory...

Quoted Text
The Share Issue

TO set the scene I would just like to repeat that the current share apportionment is not one of my making. And it is not likely to be appealing/ healthy to any would be investors when they could be removed from the board within 21 days.

There are two single blocks of shares alone that combined can remove any board member from the GTFC board within 21 days.

My standing down as chairman was to enable other potential interest in our club to come forward, and if I that resulted in my removal from the board, I would not at any time put the club under pressure to repay my loans whatsoever - unless they were affordable. And in football you never know what is around the corner.

Centered around this throughout, I have maintained that I am not turning my back on the club, but just giving others the potential to take on the club or join the board of GTFC.

The fact of the matter is that the club technically run out of funds as originally projected last December when I pledged another £150k this season alone into the club which would see us through to January. Previous to this I had said publicly that I wouldn't pledge further funds until control returned to the board room.

My change of mind came about when the Mariners Trust Board made serious efforts to deal with this concern.

A few points.

As I remember it Parker and Fenty agree to invest another £500,000 each to cover the latter part of 2010-11 and the 2011-12 season. Parker did this (despite having left the board in the mean time) by doubling his shareholding. He subsequently gifted these £500,000 of shares to the Supporter's Trust.

When all this rubbish kicked off earlier in the season it was stated by Parker (and confirmed on the company accounts) that Fenty had so far put in £150,000 of his promised £500,000. He did this by way of a £75,000 loan and by purchasing a further £75,000 of shares.

From this it seems that the £150,000 he so generously put in to see us through to January was actually money he had already pledged nearly a year previously.

Which leaves £200,000 left of his pledged £500,000 (to match Parker). Which funnily enough is what he is promising to invest if the Mariners Trust donate just under 40% of their shareholdings to our multi-millionaire former Chairman.

Now, it's bad enough that Fenty is holding a gun to the Mariners Trust board and hoping their inexperience will see them capitulate. But the fact that he is doing it over money he has previously promised makes his actions seem even more suspicious.

And he keeps mentioning this mythical "control returned to the boardroom" rubbish with every official statement he subjects us to.

Load of rubbish. When have the board of directors ever accounted for 50% of the shares in GTFC? Here's a run down from the end of year accounts stretching back to 2001. All figures are for May 31st of the year in question...

2001: 46.1%
2002: 44.7%
2003: 46.7%
2004: 34.2%
2005: 18.5%
2006: 42.2%
2007: 42.1%
2008: 42.0%
2009: 42.0%
2010: 42.1%
2011: 39.9%

And currently with in the region of £1.85 million of shares issued Fenty, Elsom and Chapman have 32.4% of the shares between them.

Now, if you add into the equation the £200,000 of shares that the Mariners Trust have given voting power to Fenty for the board room actually has 43.1% of votes.

So, actually the board has more direct control over the club (in terms of shareholder voting rights) than at anytime since 2003.

And these 2 single blocks of shares that leave all board members looking over their shoulders...

Well Parker has £500,000 of shares and the Mariners' Trust have approx £522,000. This equates to 55% of shares and therefore votes.

But wait a minute, the Trust have already given £200,000 of voting rights to Fenty haven't they? So actually Parker and the trust have £822,000 worth of shares to physically vote with between them. Which is only 44% of votes and not enough to force out any board member.

And anyhow are the Mariners Trust really going to try and force a director out? Of course they aren't. It's just an excuse for Fenty to water down Parker stake in the club, and pay half the market price for doing so. And he would get the Mariners Trust's power reduced as the cherry on the cake.

Here's how the shares would lie if Fenty gets his way...

Fenty 975,000
Elsom 25,500
Chapam 500

BOARD 1,001,000 (48.7%)

Trust 322,000
Parker 500,000
A.N.Other 234,000

NON-BOARD 1,056,000 (51.3%)

The board still wouldn't own the magical 50% of the shares in the club. Maybe Fenty could achieve that by asking for another load of shares from the Mariners Trust this time next year?

I just hope the Trust members tell Fenty where to go.

Quoted Text
And here's the rest of his drivel for anyone with a couple of hours spare...

I have not played hard ball with the MT one bit, or held them to ransom as some are suggesting. I see them as passionate fans of the club with common objectives to myself.

Nevertheless their new found Shareholding in the club, in my opinion, would put off any potential further investment because it is too high at 27 / 28 percent.

Not one person in football who has shown interest in the club's current position thinks it is healthy. Nor do I know anyone who'd make funds available to any football club under the current circumstances.

Let's face it, if I was playing hard ball I would have let the club run out of money and have forced the situation.

My position has always been one of wider ownership. To cement this fact I used my shareholding in the past, which cost me considerably more than par value at (£2.50 each), to remove a block on shares being available to others. I could have also changed the cost of new shares to £2.50, irrespective of how much mine cost me, I left them at an affordable £1.00.

I own by far the most expensive block of shares in the club and at that time could so easily have taken total ownership, a position I have never wanted.

Most Trusts hold considerably less than 10 percent of the clubs they represent. Should the MT proposal find favour with its members and be ratified, it will retain approximately 14 percent of the shares in GTFC. This sum will enable the Trust to call an EGM and call for a poll vote at meetings.

There are an odd few who repeatedly question my motives and spin all sorts of rubbish about me and make preposterous scenarios/suggestions.

If there were no investment forthcoming ultimately the shares in GTFC are worth nothing. If I were holding a gun to the MT's head as some wish to suggest I am, then the first step would have been to stop paying the players and threaten administration. The likely outcome would be that the entire shareholding in GTFC would be acquired for £1.00 in a SVA, pre-pack or administration process.

The facts are that the club requires approximately £100k plus the Ryan Bennett income net of football fortune to barely scrape through to the end of this season.

This will not allow any latitude to secure player contract extensions or strengthen the squad further in an effort to build on recent good form.

To suggest that the sell on income was certain and i knew of this is rubbish. The club could not possibly forecast this as certain income. In reality, Swansea and Norwich were the only clubs interested in Ryan - irrespective of Barry Fry working his magic. Also the deal went to the wire, with only one minute to deadline.

Our club's concession to make this deal happen means that our proportion follows the receipt from Norwich to Peterborough after deducting the initial proceed of the principle sale value. The remaining certain income will hit the bank in twelve month's time.

In term of next year's funding, the projections are losses of £500k which would provide a modestly competitive playing budget which has no wriggle room and in truth is unlikely to be enough to keep the squad together or afford the purchase of players.

Going concern is always an issue (the ability for a business to pay its bills when due) and it is possible in a forced sale Liam Hearn could raise vital funds, but there is no doubt that we need him and do not want to be pushed into liquidating one of our finest assets of recent years. To date there has been no offers and I have made it well known he is not for sale.

Additional cash-flow funds are required to repay what was previously a £500k overdraft bank facility which, under duress, has been converted by the bank into a repayment loan to be repaid over 5 years. This sum is not covered in losses and requires further financing.

Without relocation Blundell Park is in serious need of investment to maintain it safety certificate.

Either way there will be some big bills to finance.

Along with this there are inherent and considerable risks associated with a potential down turn in form on gate income and player fitness/turnover etc.

The board of GTFC are purely custodians of our football club for the time being irrespective of shareholding, and if any of its directors are expected to provide vital funding as an when required, then it cannot be a surprise they require a little comfort.

Initially I was adamant that I would not purchase any additional shares to redress this problem. It has been to the Mariners Trust's credit that I have relaxed on this issue. Whereby without this to get to a position of appeasement they would have probably recommended giving away twice as many shares.

Naturally it will now be up to the Mariners Trust's members to decide if the proposal is acceptable to them.

I am just about to crack open a bottle of wine and settle into watching Grimsby v Southport online. That's thanks  to my good lady's ingenuity as I have been able to carry bags, pay bills and still get to see the game.

UTM

John Fenty

If you got to the end of that you have a longer attention span than me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
GollyGTFC
February 21, 2012, 10:54pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,977
Gold Stars: 356
I should just add that Mike Parker seems to get a lot of criticism thrown at him on this message board.

You might think he deserted the club and whatever else, but he pledged a further £500,000 investment and he still invested it despite having left the board completely. And by donating his shares to the Trust he has shown that this money was in reality a donation, not a loan or an investment.

Fenty on the other hand has used to threat of not investing (loaning) his previous pledged amount as a weapon against the Mariners Trust.

Who's really the good guy and who's the bad guy in all this?

If we win promotion or the FA Trophy or both this season it is Mike Parker who should get the lion share of the praise, because it was his money over the summer that was used to assemble our squad and has kept our budget at the level it currently is.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 365
LeightonMariner
February 21, 2012, 11:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +9 / -3
There's nothing wrong with your opinion but, yesterday's investments are yesterday's news.  MP did invest heavily but it appears he isn't going to in the future.  JF for all his poor decisions is still here and prepared to put his money where his mouth is.  I don't see any option but to back him (and the Trust) unless a clear alternative shows.  Particularly in the present bright spot.

When in doubt, start a conspiracy theory  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 365
jamesgtfc
February 21, 2012, 11:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,955
Gold Stars: 190
If all the above happens, maybe Fenty will purchase 56,000 shares, giving the boardroom just over 50% of the shareholding.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 365
headingly_mariner
February 22, 2012, 9:25am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Really good post and i think if people can read that and still vote to give Fenty the shares then they are crazy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 365
LeightonMariner
February 22, 2012, 9:39am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Really good post and i think if people can read that and still vote to give Fenty the shares then they are crazy.

Are you a trust member?

When in doubt, start a conspiracy theory  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 365
headingly_mariner
February 22, 2012, 9:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from LeightonMariner

Are you a trust member?

No.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 365
Pongo
February 22, 2012, 9:55am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Golly Mrs Molly you've certainly taken this one apart.

Sorry Mate you are just not right. Mr Fenty held 51% of the shares from way back. I attended an AGM where the shareholders approved this.

So one assume he cannot raise his holding above 50% again without shareholders approval.  And that would need agreement from the Trust as i understand it he could not use his own holding to support this kind of proposal(to me he just wants comfort not control like he once had). Maybe Shareholder could come on and confirm this??? Not seen him for a while????

Is it not!!!! about paying the bills going forward now!!!!!??????

A vast amount of money was lost at the joint decisions of Mr Parker and Mr Fenty IMO. I remember the crowing of we are maintaining a L2 budget and nothing will change.

Think you have to move on. Any deals between them broke down when Mr Parker tuned his back on the club and we have what we have. You seem to be quite specific about what each of them have done how do you know this????and is it fact.
Personally I suspect when Mr Parker pledged to acquire shares the board did not dare turn it down. So this left him with 54% and control and no responsibility. Think you need to get real, would you invest in someones company, particularly when they have control.

Oh and by the way its a bit rich to say Mr Parker gets grief, when in comparison Mr Fenty gets hammered and blamed for all the decisions!! isn't i??. and that's irrespective of him funding the club for years.(I think they are as bad as each other)

While responding a thought just occurred to me. there has been Lots of speculation about budgets and Fenty's benign loans and how he has supported barmy budgeting etc. Who paid of the tax man's £700k debt off from another regime??? Who paid the aborted relocation costs, presumably these are part of the loans too. are they his fault also.

Quoted from GollyGTFC
.Load of rubbish. When have the board of directors ever accounted for 50% of the shares in GTFC? Here's a run down from the end of year accounts stretching back to 2001. All figures are for May 31st of the year in question...

2001: 46.1%
2002: 44.7%
2003: 46.7%
2004: 34.2%
2005: 18.5%
2006: 42.2%
2007: 42.1%
2008: 42.0%
2009: 42.0%
2010: 42.1%
2011: 39.9%.

My advice is to move on Mate and lets make sure the Trust plays a bigger role.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 365
crusty ole pie
February 22, 2012, 9:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
You can quote history as much as you like, but it is the future we Are concerned about Parker has gone fenty is still here propping up our club love him or loath him one thing  is clear without him we would very quickly become The next Darlington.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 365
crusty ole pie
February 22, 2012, 10:03am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,326
Gold Stars: 66
Ishould have  added to the above unless golly your sitting on millions to invest or you have  got a better plan I suggest you put all this anti fenty talk to bed cos one day he might just say intercourse you all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 365
37 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › The Share Issue statement from the OS last Friday

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.