16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
bradzmilne
January 1, 2012, 10:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,400
Gold Stars: 29
Put me down for £5, dont have paypal though. Is that an issue?

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 157
wigworld
January 1, 2012, 11:04pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,080
No, we'll work something out. I know a few people are uncomfortable about sending money over the internet, so I'll organise something. In case anyone's worried or suspicious, and doesn't want to pledge because they don't know me, this is who I am: http://www.thefishy.co.uk/story.php?id=8501985 and I sit in C70 in the Lower Findus.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 31 - 157
80sglory
January 2, 2012, 6:32am
Guest User
Quoted from wigworld
We're up to about £60 in pledges so far on this thread. What I'll do is place an ebay bid when the pledges get past the current price, which is £87.

David a very well done for your great efforts but just a word of possible caution - aren't you worried what might happen if....

- you end up bidding and winning it (for now)
- other people think "great that's it, no need for me to give then" (hopefully not but it might)
- the auction price shoots up on e-bay right at the last second (which it can ! Potentially allowing you no time to gather other pledges and re-bid)
- and you lose ?  

Should you maybe

- set a TARGET "max bid" which you can set on e-bay which automatically kicks in to outbid other bidders(bit by bit not necessarily up to the max) when they beat your current bid ? (sorry if you already know this...)

- ask EVERYONE on the fishy to donate a small amount and split the cost between everyone ?

Hey I'll personally go a fiver no probs (possibly more if you really need it), but I said £2 for a very good reason.
How many others might be keeping quiet fearing their "quid" isn't helpful or generous enough ?
I know you'll say "everything is most generously accepted" but hey, it happens !
Let's face it, no-ones pledged a quid yet have they ? (is no-one prepared to ? I find it difficult to believe ! )

I'm kind of with BP Vicar - you could potentially split the cost between EVERYBODY (e.g. could you get 300 people pledging £1 for a £300 kitty ?) and if people really want to donate more they can either:

- help make up the numbers/£300 by contibuting multiple "quids" (e.g. £10 is same as 10 people)
- help cover the cost of pullouts/non payments ?
- donate anything left at the end once the final "cost per person" (e.g. if it goes for £150 then for 300 it's 50p each) is worked out to the families ?

I'd consider thinking of a target (max price you're prepared to pay, don't tell the club ?  ) and work from there, ASKING for a quid (obviously more if people want to )

A bit like the "pay what you want" matchday ticket thingy we had ?  

Hope that all makes sense !  

Sorry don't mean to interfere, just an idea cos I want you to raise as much as poss from everyone and wouldn't want you to miss out.
Obviously it's entirely up to you, good luck !
Reply: 32 - 157
wigworld
January 2, 2012, 9:04am

Whiskey Drinker
All fair points, but I'm trying to keep it simple. There's a chance we won't win it, but at least we'll have tried, and I have contacted the club about what we're doing, so maybe they would make another gate available if we don't win.

If anyone is too embarassed/skint/whatever to pledge a small amount, then please don't be. You're welcome to pledge by PM'ing me, if you feel uncomfortable doing it publicly.

I'm aware that there's a chance people might not pay up, but I'll cover that from my own pocket, within reason. I'd hope people would honour something like this.

If there is any surplus, I'm thinking we should donate that to the Youth Development fund. Is everyone OK with that?

Thanks for your comments, '80's, and I hope I don't seem too negative about them, but I just want to keep it simple for now.

Come on people, dig deep!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 33 - 157
Youngy
January 2, 2012, 10:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Put me in for a sky diver as well
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 157
wigworld
January 2, 2012, 10:50am

Whiskey Drinker
When the auction has finished, I'll also PM my address to people who've pledged, so that they can send a cheque if that's easier.

Thanks for all the offers so far. At the moment we're in the lead at £122 - a bit higher than the pledges I've received. Please tell everyone you know what we're trying to do, and get them to chip in.

I haven't had any response from the club so far (though I only messaged thwm yesterday, and it's a bank holiday today), but I'll copy their response here if I hear anything from them.

D
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 35 - 157
mariner83
January 2, 2012, 11:11am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from wigworld
When the auction has finished, I'll also PM my address to people who've pledged, so that they can send a cheque if that's easier.

Might be a better idea anyway do paypal still charge fees for receiving & withdrawing money?

Quoted from wigworld
Thanks for all the offers so far. At the moment we're in the lead at £122 - a bit higher than the pledges I've received. Please tell everyone you know what we're trying to do, and get them to chip in.

I'll spread the word on twitter & facebook.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 36 - 157
wigworld
January 2, 2012, 11:18am

Whiskey Drinker
The charge for withdrawing money, but I'm hoping I'll be able to pay for the gate by paypal, so no fees involved.

Thanks everyone.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 157
chicaneuk
January 2, 2012, 11:20am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.21
Rep Score: +14 / 0
Approval: +1,486
Gold Stars: 5
Sounds like a great idea. Please count me in for a fiver.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 157
Simariner
January 2, 2012, 11:38am

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.46
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +505
Yea count me in for £5
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 39 - 157
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Pontoon gate

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.