FishOutOfWater
November 4, 2011, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from conscorner

Went to the original fixture - got all the way to the ground, sitting on the coach outside the old Den, only to find out the match had been called off! Could not make it to the rearranged match!

Snap! I was just telling my son the same story CC....went there by car though

Another game that I got to just before it was called off at about 2.00 pm was a league match away at Bristol City (1981 ish)
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 50 - 77
BIGChris
November 4, 2011, 9:27pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.97
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
That fantastic victory @ Twerton Park on 5th Nov 2011?
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 77
conscorner
November 4, 2011, 9:31pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Snap! I was just telling my son the same story.

I think our coach ended up at Brisbane Road, and we all watched Orient v Charlton

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 77
Abdul19
November 4, 2011, 9:37pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Les Brechin

Ivano's debut was Charlton at home. He signed the contract on the pitch before the game.

That contract was the one after the money had been raised during his trial period and the surrounding 'Ivano-mania'.

His first game for us (while on 'trial') was at the Valley - we won 1-0 and I think Paul Jewell scored.

IIRC, we turned rubbish as soon as he signed a proper deal, culminating in chicken-gate 2 and a half months later.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 77
FishOutOfWater
November 4, 2011, 9:37pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from conscorner

I think our coach ended up at Brisbane Road, and we all watched Orient v Charlton

Rumour had it that the ref that day came from Barnet who happened to be playing Spurs that afternoon...allegedly he'd called our game off so he could get back to watch his local "derby"

Can't beat a good conspiracy theory....strange how our game was the only one around the whole of the London area that was called off!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 77
conscorner
November 4, 2011, 9:50pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

Rumour had it that the ref that day came from Barnet who happened to be playing Spurs that afternoon...allegedly he'd called our game off so he could get back to watch his local "derby"

Can't beat a good conspiracy theory....strange how our game was the only one around the whole of the London area that was called off!

Yes, plenty of matches on in London that day I seem to remember - I think the coach driver chose Orient on the basis that there would be less hassle with a coach load of Town fans at that fixture!

Away travel before the invention of the mobile phone - great days!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 77
Les Brechin
November 4, 2011, 9:50pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Abdul19

That contract was the one after the money had been raised during his trial period and the surrounding 'Ivano-mania'.

His first game for us (while on 'trial') was at the Valley - we won 1-0 and I think Paul Jewell scored.

IIRC, we turned rubbish as soon as he signed a proper deal, culminating in chicken-gate 2 and a half months later.

You are indeed correct, I was getting my Charlton games mixed up. I think the game before the Charlton home game was away at Tranmere when Ivano scored the only goal to send us 2nd in the table.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 77
TownSNAFU5
November 4, 2011, 11:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,850
Gold Stars: 42
I travelled on my own to a non-glory match at the Den, Millwall in the mid 70s.  I was in the RAF at Brize Norton so did not have too far too travel.  It was not safe in your days to wear a scarf - certainly not at the Den and on your own.

I did wear a Town lapel badge though and this was noticed on the Tube. No hassle though. I did not see another Town fan at the match.  Not something to shout about though.  I had a radio with me as it was FA Cup day.  Millwall fans were asking about Palace who won 1-0 at Leeds - a big shock.

The match was a 1-1 draw I believe. Nothing special but a good point.  Being at the infamous Den was the highlight or the low light.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 77
Abdul19
November 6, 2011, 8:47pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Quoted from Les Brechin

You are indeed correct, I was getting my Charlton games mixed up. I think the game before the Charlton home game was away at Tranmere when Ivano scored the only goal to send us 2nd in the table.

Happy days. I think the 2-1 at Sheff Utd was also around that time. Did Gary Childs score a brilliant volley that night?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 77
mothafunda
November 6, 2011, 10:14pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Quoted from Abdul19

Happy days. I think the 2-1 at Sheff Utd was also around that time. Did Gary Childs score a brilliant volley that night?

yes, bonetti was left out of the team for some reason that night and southall played (and scored). Gary childs goal was one of the best I have seen - the highlights are on youtube. we could have won 5-1 that night we were ace
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Memorable Town away games

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.