dapperz fun pub
November 4, 2011, 4:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +9,865
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from Les Brechin
Reading away in the FA Cup 4th Round Replay in between the Middlesborough and Wimbledon ties was another great night too.

went in a furniture type van,a few mouthy locals nearly shat themselves when they saw how many got out of the van
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 77
Les Brechin
November 4, 2011, 5:07pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from RoboCod

I've got the footage from Calendar or Look North on that Reading game. There's inflatable Haddocks, Bananas and a huge fried egg behind the goal when we get the winner....looks right mental

I had a black and white zebra that night.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 77
RoboCod
November 4, 2011, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Les Brechin

I had a black and white zebra that night.

I'll check my VHS and see if I can see you  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 77
oldludensian
November 4, 2011, 5:51pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
If anyone's got youtube links for any of these games, I'd love to re live those nights. Why is it night games, especially away from home with loads of Town there stick in the memory?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 77
BIGChris
November 4, 2011, 6:30pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.98
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Les Brechin
Reading away in the FA Cup 4th Round Replay in between the Middlesborough and Wimbledon ties was another great night too.

I was living in Herts at the time and remember I got home in a ridiculously quick time. I must have averaged around 100mph for some reason!!
I also seem to think Macca was carried off early on following a horendous tackle??
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 77
FishOutOfWater
November 4, 2011, 6:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
One that sticks out for me was a 4-1 win at Huddersfield in the League Cup....September 1979

We absolutely pulled them apart and we were all celebrating in the open end at Leeds Road before it started raining bricks...

Most of their lot left the game early totally demoralised but a few then tried to get their own back on us throwing debris from the back of the ground

All part and parcel of travelling away in those days I guess...coming away from there with a few walking wounded, little did we know that we'd be going to the last eight of the competition and taking Wolves to a second replay

Still my favourite season ever with some other great away games (Chesterfield for example, winning both times 3-2)....those were the days
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 45 - 77
conscorner
November 4, 2011, 7:34pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Northampton away possibly 1978, when you stood behind a rope on the touchline at 2 sides like it was Sunday League. Think we won 2-1 to guarantee promotion that season with about 3 games to go.

Went to that match, think it was mid-week, and walking back to the car got stopped by three detectives looking for information on a murder that had occurred the previous week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 77
Madeleymariner
November 4, 2011, 7:49pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,048
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from conscorner

Went to that match, think it was mid-week, and walking back to the car got stopped by three detectives looking for information on a murder that had occurred the previous week

Your right because my Dad picked me up outside school, didnt know he was planning on going. Dont remember there being a big crowd though considering how important the result would be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 77
marinernige
November 4, 2011, 8:27pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +578
Gold Stars: 17
One that always sticks in my mind was the rearranged F A Cup 3rd round match away at Millwall(old den),five off us in an old skoda,about 70 town there,losing 1-0 at half-time,but winning 6-1,days of trevor whymark.Tannoy playing Bucks fizz 'land of make believe'.After the match coming out into the car park fairing the worst,our little skoda the only car left,we left quietly but quick! remember ringing big keith Dawson(eggy 'D')from a phone box in the City,giving him stick as he couldn't make the match.
From Millwall it was onto Newcastle and another great win,before losing at QPR in the Firth round.
Great memories and great days out,with so many great mates. Sorry for the long story!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 77
conscorner
November 4, 2011, 8:49pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from marinernige
One that always sticks in my mind was the rearranged F A Cup 3rd round match away at Millwall(old den)

Went to the original fixture - got all the way to the ground, sitting on the coach outside the old Den, only to find out the match had been called off! Could not make it to the rearranged match!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Memorable Town away games

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.