cmackenzie4
November 4, 2011, 3:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Les Brechin

Just a shame the YouTube clip doesn't show the Town fans doing the conga in the pouring rain.

I have just watched it,i can see me sat on my own on the green seats   as mendonca makes the run you will see the green seats on the left,im half way up there,i can remember the lads doing the conga  ,just to think Les thats 20 year ago,how time flies.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 77
goolemariner
November 4, 2011, 3:26pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +1
So many to remember, best one for me probably QPR away (2001?) Crouch was playing for QPR then, we were under the cosh all game. They had chance after chance, Coyne unbeatable that day and then Paul Groves miscued a tame shot into the bottom corner right in front of us. We went mental!

Those were the days, my friend,
We took the Stretford End,
We took the Kop, the Kippax and the Shed,
We lived the life we choose,
We'd fight, we'd never lose,
Those were the days, oh yes those were the days,
Nah nah nah nah nah nah, Town!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 77
oldludensian
November 4, 2011, 3:27pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / -8
Approval: +57
Quoted from cmackenzie4

Oh i see now Les  

yes thats right it was Lever,there were not to many town fans there that night,i only had a 15 minute walk back to the ship  ,it was on the local telly the next night on the highlights,the lads thought we was a good team.

Mr McKenzie

This might be a long shot, but did you and your mates (one of which was massive and had a beard) used to stand near the back of the ponny? I'm thinking about 89/90 - 93/94ish? Just that I kind of remember overhearing one of the blokes in the group that used to stand in front of my group once saying that he was stationed in Plymouth and used to go watch them when he was down there..................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 77
Manchester Mariner
November 4, 2011, 3:27pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Port Vale in the early 90s, last game of the season and Vale needed a win to stay up, Im not sure if we were still mathematically involved too. We won 1-0 with a Tommy Watson goal and it absolutely chucked it down, just remember rain water constantly dripping off my nose. At Full time all the Vale fans invaded the pitch and made their way over to our end. They didnt enjoy the rendition of always look on the bright side of life with a fair few trying to breach the police and stewards line separating us.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 77
cmackenzie4
November 4, 2011, 4:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from oldludensian

Mr McKenzie

This might be a long shot, but did you and your mates (one of which was massive and had a beard) used to stand near the back of the ponny? I'm thinking about 89/90 - 93/94ish? Just that I kind of remember overhearing one of the blokes in the group that used to stand in front of my group once saying that he was stationed in Plymouth and used to go watch them when he was down there..................

Hello there oldludensian

It was not me but it may have been civvy at last who posts on here,he was based down Plymouth when i was,could be him mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 77
Les Brechin
November 4, 2011, 4:13pm

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,693
Gold Stars: 174
Reading away in the FA Cup 4th Round Replay in between the Middlesborough and Wimbledon ties was another great night too.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 77
RoboCod
November 4, 2011, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Les Brechin
Reading away in the FA Cup 4th Round Replay in between the Middlesborough and Wimbledon ties was another great night too.

I've got the footage from Calendar or Look North on that Reading game. There's inflatable Haddocks, Bananas and a huge fried egg behind the goal when we get the winner....looks right mental

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 77
jock dock tower
November 4, 2011, 4:19pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Town vs Wolves at Derby. Went on a coach from the Lynton with a load of mates. Robbed during the game, but the enduring moment for me was back on the coach waiting to go when we saw a couple of schoolteachers admonishing some pupils who were obviously on a trip from school. About 20 odd guys down the front of the coach all mooned up at the coach window whilst everyone else sang "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone" Pure Grimsby!

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 77
cmackenzie4
November 4, 2011, 4:35pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from jock dock tower
Town vs Wolves at Derby. Went on a coach from the Lynton with a load of mates. Robbed during the game, but the enduring moment for me was back on the coach waiting to go when we saw a couple of schoolteachers admonishing some pupils who were obviously on a trip from school. About 20 odd guys down the front of the coach all mooned up at the coach window whilst everyone else sang "Hey, teacher, leave those kids alone" Pure Grimsby!

Was you a mooner or a singer on that coach Jock ?  

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 77
danny pacquiao
November 4, 2011, 4:39pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Away at west brom, can't remember the year 2001? Luke cornwall scored the only goal, a line of stewards seperating us and their fans. Burnley in the auto windscreen was brilliant, cracker from donovan, got a black eye outside the ground by some burnley fan who elbowed me though, i was only ten, ah well didn't care as we won. Scunny in one of the previous rounds was quality aswell. Although the victories are great, it's the atmosphere in the away end that makes them memorable, remember losing to liverpool 3-0 (owens first hatrick) but still really enjoyed it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 77
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Memorable Town away games

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.