18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 19, 2011, 11:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
Just shy of two years ago (17th Sept 2009 to be precise) my brother and mentor lost his long battle with this awful disease.Two days later on the 19th,which would have been my Dads birthday if he had still been with us,we played Torquay away.It was also the day that my partners youngest daughter started uni at Sunderland and her mother was driving her there.I decided to go along,just to take my mind off things and we set off early in the morning.

It was a pleasant trip on empty roads and we duly dropped her off and got her settled in.On the way back,we had just passed Hartlepool and i could see my partner was upset,so i suggested we stop somewhere for a breather.She pulled over in some delapidated ex mining village south of Hartlepool and we walked across some grassland to the beach,sat down and both burst into tears while looking out to sea.I was upset about my brother and she was upset at "losing" her youngest.

It got me thinking about the cycle of life.My brother had lived his life and my partners daughter was just starting out on adulthood,with all that life entails before her.

Young Matt never got any of that and it's so sad to read of his passing at such a young age.Life can be so cruel.

On the way home after our stop,i suddenly remembered Town were playing away at Torquay,which was one of my brothers favourite places,having worked there as a young man.I tried to tune into Humberside but no go,we were too far North,but somewhere around York,i finally found it and we were winning.We went on to record a rare away victory and i felt a little better about things.

It could be said that football doesn't matter at a time like this,but Matt thought it mattered and he lived for his football and GTFC.I really hope we can win on Saturday just to raise the general mood a bit and i'm sure Matt would smile down on us.

UTFM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 175
August 19, 2011, 11:43pm
Guest User
Reading some of these posts makes you proud to be a Grimbarian . Ive only spoke to Matty once but he is one of the most polite and kind lads you can meet , such a sad loss to the club . So passionate about his club and im sure he will be painting heaven black and white . He will be looking down at us all on saturday afternoons and im sure we will still hear the echos of his voice coming from the pontoon . R.I.P Matty - A true Mariner .
Reply: 161 - 175
FishOutOfWater
August 20, 2011, 12:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.15
Rep Score: +52 / -7
Approval: +6,564
Gold Stars: 37
Quoted from ginnywings
Just shy of two years ago (17th Sept 2009 to be precise) my brother and mentor lost his long battle with this awful disease.Two days later on the 19th,which would have been my Dads birthday if he had still been with us,we played Torquay away.It was also the day that my partners youngest daughter started uni at Sunderland and her mother was driving her there.I decided to go along,just to take my mind off things and we set off early in the morning.

It was a pleasant trip on empty roads and we duly dropped her off and got her settled in.On the way back,we had just passed Hartlepool and i could see my partner was upset,so i suggested we stop somewhere for a breather.She pulled over in some delapidated ex mining village south of Hartlepool and we walked across some grassland to the beach,sat down and both burst into tears while looking out to sea.I was upset about my brother and she was upset at "losing" her youngest.

It got me thinking about the cycle of life.My brother had lived his life and my partners daughter was just starting out on adulthood,with all that life entails before her.

Young Matt never got any of that and it's so sad to read of his passing at such a young age.Life can be so cruel.

On the way home after our stop,i suddenly remembered Town were playing away at Torquay,which was one of my brothers favourite places,having worked there as a young man.I tried to tune into Humberside but no go,we were too far North,but somewhere around York,i finally found it and we were winning.We went on to record a rare away victory and i felt a little better about things.

It could be said that football doesn't matter at a time like this,but Matt thought it mattered and he lived for his football and GTFC.I really hope we can win on Saturday just to raise the general mood a bit and i'm sure Matt would smile down on us.

UTFM

Understand where you're coming from Ginnywings....

Football, especially The Mariners, clearly meant so much to Matty as it does to most of us on here....it's inextricably linked with all the other things that go on in our lives

It might have to take a back seat when the real tragedies such as his young life being taken stops us in our tracks, but it's there in the background, running parallel to the more important issues

I recall the day my dad passed on (also a victim of the big "C" ) and as devasted as I was I knew that less than an hour after he died we were playing Northampton at home....my dad had been based there when in the army and was a cobbler himself, with his soul going to a better place when we were playing the Cobblers. In my own little world, right amongst my grief, I couldn't believe the irony.

I feel it's times like this that you recognise your own mortality and the scene you portrayed looking out on that beach is also really poignant....my eldest found out this week she has won a place at uni and I can't help but think she's only a couple of years younger than Matty. Life is so unfair sometimes and lots of poor Matty's dreams will never be realised when he was at a stage in his life where the world should have been his oyster.

I so feel for his parents and other family members right now, knowng their hurt will last them a lifetime with only good memories available to them

One thing that I hope comforts them though is the support they have from this Fishy community....we all share the same hopes and dreams for our club but at our lowest point, the sad news on the field totally over-shadows by the loss of one of our own.

UTM GTID
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 162 - 175
Pontoon Steve
August 20, 2011, 12:56pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
Reply tosiy2k5

Steve, would it be worth asking Rob/Biccys to make  sticky thread with Mattys funeral/charity details on, so they can be easily found? Just a thought.

You can do, all we want to do now is to raise as much money as possible for his chosen charity, in the pass  Matty and his family has raised between £1000 and £1500 pound in the last 2 years.
Not a lot of people have heared of CLIC Sargent, but they look after young people up to the age of 23, the first day we arrived at QMC Nottingham we were sat in the waiting room and the first people we saw were CLIC Sergent, and they have been with us from day 1 right up to the end.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 175
sonofmadeleymariner
August 20, 2011, 1:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +19 / -10
Approval: +1,399
Gold Stars: 35
RIP Matty

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 175
1mickylyons
August 20, 2011, 3:07pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,262
Gold Stars: 54
Just got back to read this terrible news ,i only met Matty the once when he bought some Town memorabilia from me and i only hope he got some pleasure out of it.Like Ginny says football has the wonderful ability to raise spirits and if the Town players show some guts and passion about the shirt just maybe Matt will be smiling down tonight at 5pm.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 175
sutton mariner
August 20, 2011, 3:15pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Just got back to read this terrible news ,i only met Matty the once when he bought some Town memorabilia from me and i only hope he got some pleasure out of it.Like Ginny says football has the wonderful ability to raise spirits and if the Town players show some guts and passion about the shirt just maybe Matt will be smiling down tonight at 5pm.

Do it for Matty Town!!

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 175
ponnyfan
August 24, 2011, 12:39am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Please can we make this a sticky?

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 175
sutton mariner
August 24, 2011, 12:47am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from ponnyfan
Please can we make this a sticky?

Seconded

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 175
gtfcbean
August 25, 2011, 6:55am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +9 / -7
Have missed this due to 'being away'
Matty mate i hope ur looking down on us wiv a smile as ur the brightest star up there RIP Buddy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 175
18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.