Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › MarinerMatt24. RIP
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

MarinerMatt24. RIP

This thread currently has 32,862 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Martz86
August 19, 2011, 12:22am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +129
Gold Stars: 1
Great post Ponnyfan. RIP Matty.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 175
Marinerz93
August 19, 2011, 12:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Excellent tribute Ponnyfan.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 175
sutton mariner
August 19, 2011, 12:39am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Great tribute Ponny

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 175
Wrawby_Mariner
August 19, 2011, 12:46am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.72
Rep Score: +50 / -13
Approval: +862
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from ponnyfan
I have just returned from two days away with work, and I have just read with great humility, this heart rendering thread about Matty.
I first met Matty towards the last few games of last season, when he introduced himself to me at a home game, through a mutual friend, Marc Reed.Having previously read about Matty's plight on his journey thread, I understood, to a degree what he was going through.
I can only say that he was clearly, absolutely mad on Town and this was clearly evident throughout our conversation.Not once did he show any signs of feeling sorry for himself, despite his predicament.
I remember Matty being on the "Battlebus" to Wimbledon on the last game of last season with his Dad and remember thinking how much he seemed to enjoy the day.The sun shone brightly that day, just as I hope it is shining on you now Matty.  
Through reading the Fishy, following the Donny friendly, it was apparent that Matty was seriously ill.
I went to see Matty a couple of weeks ago, at his home in Louth, to give him my best wishes and to try and add some cheer to his day, through talking to him about the Mariners.
I was welcomed  into his home by members of his family and when I went up to see him, I was delighted to see him sat in his chair, laptop across his knees, surfing his beloved "Fishy".We had a chat, and I remember thinking what an outstandingly courageous young man, I had had the great privilege to have met. He was cheerful and positive, even in the face of great adversity, and a credit to his family.
Before I left, following my short visit, I chatted to his Mum, Dot, who I can only describe as an absolute rock for her son.She told me how Matty and the family had enjoyed a family holiday to Paris and they had spent great quality time together.As I thanked her for her time and left, I felt a great sense of sadness at the injustice in this world.Imagine my surprise when Matty summoned the courage and belief to entertain Michael Leary, meet the management and players at both the training ground and in hospital and share this with us all on the Fishy! Fantastic!He attended the Fleetwood game too and proudly wore his squad number, as did his family!  
I am sorry to say that this was the last time I spoke to Matty and I am deeply saddened by his loss.
I would just like to finally say that we are all proud of you Matty and I add my tribute to you, to the hundreds of others on your favourite Town website.Good night - God bless fellow Mariner!  

Thanks for a great read Ponny, really brought a tear to my eye
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype Skype
Reply: 143 - 175
somersetmariner
August 19, 2011, 1:57am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +7 / -7
Approval: +253
Gold Stars: 4
Matt, only this weekend i saw your pictures with the town squad, i never met you and i have no understanding or appreciation of the trauma you and your loving family must have been through.
God bless Matt, mr twenty four, my thoughts are with your family.  

you can take the boy out of grimsby......but you can't take grimsby out of his soul, his blood, his semen!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 175
Les Brechin
August 19, 2011, 6:20am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174
A great post Ponnyfan. Sums up just how well Matty was thought of by everybody. I think he touched the lives of everyone he came in contact with, not only on here and I don't think you'll find many other people that would apply too. Hopefully I will be out of hospital in time to attend Mattys funeral and pay my own personal respects  but whatever happens I will be thinking about Matty and his family at that time.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 175
newfootballer
August 19, 2011, 7:42am

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from Les Brechin
A great post Ponnyfan. Sums up just how well Matty was thought of by everybody. I think he touched the lives of everyone he came in contact with, not only on here and I don't think you'll find many other people that would apply too. Hopefully I will be out of hospital in time to attend Mattys funeral and pay my own personal respects  but whatever happens I will be thinking about Matty and his family at that time.

Also you look after yourself Les and do not rush coming back to see the Mighty Mariners to soon.

(WELL THAT WILL BE A WASTE OFF TIME WILL IT NOT)

Great to see you Saturday Les and hope things go right for you in the future.
NEWFOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 175
Les Brechin
August 19, 2011, 8:04am

Posts Per Day: 4.18
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,688
Gold Stars: 174

Thanks for that Dave but I don't want to divert this thread away from Mattys memory. I'm sure many people on here will be going to Mattys funeral and I hope that the club will be well represented too, but I would like to propose that everyone who reads this, if they are not going to the funeral, should take just a couple of minutes time for thoughts about Matty at 11am next Wednesday.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 175
Pontoon Steve
August 19, 2011, 10:59am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6

Quote from Sutton Mariner.

Living in London I can't make im afraid but im sure there's a lot of people on here who will be mate. My thoughts are with you and the rest of Matt's family. As you can tell by the posts on here Matt was a legend, a brave one at that, and he will NEVER be forgotten by the Fishy Folk.

EDIT: Also, is there a specific charity Matt supported?   Cheers

If any one would like to give to charity Matts chosen charity is CLIC Sargent who looked after children with cancer, who was with us on this journey from day 1 up until the final day. The details for Matty's funeral arrangments and donations are in todays GET.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 175
sutton mariner
August 19, 2011, 11:12am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Okay Steve, thanks for that mate.

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 175
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › MarinerMatt24. RIP

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.