Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › MarinerMatt24. RIP
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 21 Guests

MarinerMatt24. RIP

This thread currently has 32,964 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
BiloLCFC
August 18, 2011, 5:51pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +23 / -1
I just thought I'd say a couple of my Leicester mates who have nothing to do with The Fishy or GTFC have also liked the Facebook page set-up in memory of Matty, so word is spreading and fans of all clubs are showing their respect towards a lad who was a true fighter. Just goes to show how insignificant football is and yet its ability to bring people together at the same time.

When You're Smiling...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 175
meggietown
August 18, 2011, 7:44pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 3
R.I.P Matty a very sad loss thoughts with family
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 175
thedmariner
August 18, 2011, 7:57pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
was with matt at game on sat.could see he was in pain but never complained.great lad and an absolutely tragic loss for his family.i just want to thank all the nice comments on here and other sites,im sure it will help his family through this sad time.also big thanks to gtfc for what they have done for him.     rip
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 175
Pontoon Steve
August 18, 2011, 8:31pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +6
Matty funeral is to take place on Wednesday 24th August at St James Church Louth at 11am all invited. At the request of Matty Football shirts (don't matter what team as Matt only lived for football), scarfs or bright clothing no mourning attire please as we want to celebrate Matt's life.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 175
Brazilnut
August 18, 2011, 9:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
only found out when glanced at this is grimsby at work today.......cant get on fishy from work..........Matt talked sense , had a sense of humour and faced his nemisis with massive courage......i will miss his posts .......so sorry for his family ....it is no age and not fair ........RIP mate

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 175
sutton mariner
August 18, 2011, 10:17pm
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Quoted from Pontoon Steve
Matty funeral is to take place on Wednesday 24th August at St James Church Louth at 11am all invited. At the request of Matty Football shirts (don't matter what team as Matt only lived for football), scarfs or bright clothing no mourning attire please as we want to celebrate Matt's life.

Living in London I can't make im afraid but im sure there's a lot of people on here who will be mate. My thoughts are with you and the rest of Matt's family. As you can tell by the posts on here Matt was a legend, a brave one at that, and he will NEVER be forgotten by the Fishy Folk.

EDIT: Also, is there a specific charity Matt supported?   Cheers

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 175
marinerian
August 18, 2011, 10:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +33 / -16
Approval: +15
RIP Matty. I may nit have known you well but such a sad loss..My thoughts are with his family and friends

UP THE MARINERS
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 175
newfootballer
August 18, 2011, 11:04pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Quoted from alvinghammariner
Rip matt, gut wrenching news, I wish the club has as much fight as you, a true fighter

To me that above says it all.

Hope now Matty your problems are over and you can sleep at night with out any pain, met you in the Imp great guy,fantastic Town supporter loved his club to bits.
NEW FOOTBALLER
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 175
ponnyfan
August 18, 2011, 11:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
I have just returned from two days away with work, and I have just read with great humility, this heart rendering thread about Matty.
I first met Matty towards the last few games of last season, when he introduced himself to me at a home game, through a mutual friend, Marc Reed.Having previously read about Matty's plight on his journey thread, I understood, to a degree what he was going through.
I can only say that he was clearly, absolutely mad on Town and this was clearly evident throughout our conversation.Not once did he show any signs of feeling sorry for himself, despite his predicament.
I remember Matty being on the "Battlebus" to Wimbledon on the last game of last season with his Dad and remember thinking how much he seemed to enjoy the day.The sun shone brightly that day, just as I hope it is shining on you now Matty.  
Through reading the Fishy, following the Donny friendly, it was apparent that Matty was seriously ill.
I went to see Matty a couple of weeks ago, at his home in Louth, to give him my best wishes and to try and add some cheer to his day, through talking to him about the Mariners.
I was welcomed  into his home by members of his family and when I went up to see him, I was delighted to see him sat in his chair, laptop across his knees, surfing his beloved "Fishy".We had a chat, and I remember thinking what an outstandingly courageous young man, I had had the great privilege to have met. He was cheerful and positive, even in the face of great adversity, and a credit to his family.
Before I left, following my short visit, I chatted to his Mum, Dot, who I can only describe as an absolute rock for her son.She told me how Matty and the family had enjoyed a family holiday to Paris and they had spent great quality time together.As I thanked her for her time and left, I felt a great sense of sadness at the injustice in this world.Imagine my surprise when Matty summoned the courage and belief to entertain Michael Leary, meet the management and players at both the training ground and in hospital and share this with us all on the Fishy! Fantastic!He attended the Fleetwood game too and proudly wore his squad number, as did his family!  
I am sorry to say that this was the last time I spoke to Matty and I am deeply saddened by his loss.
I would just like to finally say that we are all proud of you Matty and I add my tribute to you, to the hundreds of others on your favourite Town website.Good night - God bless fellow Mariner!  

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 175
cmackenzie4
August 18, 2011, 11:55pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from ponnyfan
I have just returned from two days away with work, and I have just read with great humility, this heart rendering thread about Matty.
I first met Matty towards the last few games of last season, when he introduced himself to me at a home game, through a mutual friend, Marc Reed.Having previously read about Matty's plight on his journey thread, I understood, to a degree what he was going through.
I can only say that he was clearly, absolutely mad on Town and this was clearly evident throughout our conversation.Not once did he show any signs of feeling sorry for himself, despite his predicament.
I remember Matty being on the "Battlebus" to Wimbledon on the last game of last season with his Dad and remember thinking how much he seemed to enjoy the day.The sun shone brightly that day, just as I hope it is shining on you now Matty.  
Through reading the Fishy, following the Donny friendly, it was apparent that Matty was seriously ill.
I went to see Matty a couple of weeks ago, at his home in Louth, to give him my best wishes and to try and add some cheer to his day, through talking to him about the Mariners.
I was welcomed  into his home by members of his family and when I went up to see him, I was delighted to see him sat in his chair, laptop across his knees, surfing his beloved "Fishy".We had a chat, and I remember thinking what an outstandingly courageous young man, I had had the great privilege to have met. He was cheerful and positive, even in the face of great adversity, and a credit to his family.
Before I left, following my short visit, I chatted to his Mum, Dot, who I can only describe as an absolute rock for her son.She told me how Matty and the family had enjoyed a family holiday to Paris and they had spent great quality time together.As I thanked her for her time and left, I felt a great sense of sadness at the injustice in this world.Imagine my surprise when Matty summoned the courage and belief to entertain Michael Leary, meet the management and players at both the training ground and in hospital and share this with us all on the Fishy! Fantastic!He attended the Fleetwood game too and proudly wore his squad number, as did his family!  
I am sorry to say that this was the last time I spoke to Matty and I am deeply saddened by his loss.
I would just like to finally say that we are all proud of you Matty and I add my tribute to you, to the hundreds of others on your favourite Town website.Good night - God bless fellow Mariner!  

Brilliant post Ponnyfan

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 175
18 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › MarinerMatt24. RIP

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.