Tommy
August 9, 2011, 11:43pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from bigdavemariner
someone has to get this going. sounds fooking amazing. listen below for 2 fine examples...

That does look fooking brilliant to be honest.

Wouldn't be quite the same with 3000 scattered around BP, but i can see it working and looking/sounding great when we pack some away ends out.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 125
thornemariner
August 9, 2011, 11:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +654
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Dan_Barker
when i see the grimsby
i go out of my head
and i just cant get enough
and i just cant get enough
everytime the ball
goes into the back of the net
i just cant get enough
i just cant get enough
we're moving higher, back into the league
and i just cant seem to get enough
do do do do do do do do do

apologies if this has already been posted but was listening to depeche mode and thought of it

Just back from watching Donny v Tranmere and the Rovers fans were singing this. I thought their fans were s*** though and their rendition of this wasn't great. Couldn't make out all the words, presumably because it has more than four lines in the song and that stretches the memory too much.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 125
upthestripes
August 10, 2011, 12:02am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
That's the problem I have with it, hate copycat-ing other clubs.

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 125
Mariners_15
August 10, 2011, 9:54am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Mentioned the Just can't get enough one a few months back, and like I said, could look really good with 6500 crammed in at the Lincoln home match or at an Away match with our large travelling army! Something definitely needs to be done!

Here's a link on a smaller scale at a less supported club than ourselves, shows it can work!

Skip to about 0:50

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 125
thornemariner
August 10, 2011, 11:14am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +654
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from upthestripes
That's the problem I have with it, hate copycat-ing other clubs.

Thing is with chants like this is it could be anyone in the ground singing it. I don't like it when rival fans start a chant up and Town counter chant to the same tune. Again, the players wouldn't know who was singing and the idea of chanting or singing in my book was to noticeably get behind the team or firmly put down the opposition. Or both! I like the old Millwall response of refusing to engage when they got the "Can you hear the Millwall sing?" A mate of mine said they just stood their with their arms folded, deliberately ignoring the opposition support. I prefer us to be original. We've always copied songs but we seem to have less and less originality nowadays. The way we used to belt out "Mariners" at corners and during games really impressed opposition fans.

We were doing the J Geils Centrefold "nananananana" at N Ferriby last week. What an added goal celebration that used to be and unique to Town in 1982 as I remember. Would love to see that come back though I'm too old to bounce up and down the way I did 30 odd years ago.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 125
upthestripes
August 10, 2011, 11:31am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from thornemariner

Thing is with chants like this is it could be anyone in the ground singing it. I don't like it when rival fans start a chant up and Town counter chant to the same tune. Again, the players wouldn't know who was singing and the idea of chanting or singing in my book was to noticeably get behind the team or firmly put down the opposition. Or both! I like the old Millwall response of refusing to engage when they got the "Can you hear the Millwall sing?" A mate of mine said they just stood their with their arms folded, deliberately ignoring the opposition support. I prefer us to be original. We've always copied songs but we seem to have less and less originality nowadays. The way we used to belt out "Mariners" at corners and during games really impressed opposition fans.

We were doing the J Geils Centrefold "nananananana" at N Ferriby last week. What an added goal celebration that used to be and unique to Town in 1982 as I remember. Would love to see that come back though I'm too old to bounce up and down the way I did 30 odd years ago.

I remember being at ST Andrews around 01/02. We were singing 'we are town' and the Birmingham fans all put their fingers to their lips and started going 'shhhhh'. Sounded flippn mental, ten thousand or so people going shhhh at you. I'd never seen that done before till then. It worked as well! We went completely quiet for about 20 mins after that.

Thing is with these songs, there are hundreds out there that would be good to sing at a footy match. Why do we have to copy other people as if there's nothing else that we could use - that would be unique to us.

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 125
Lew19
August 10, 2011, 11:52am
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -2
its all good telling everyone your new chants on here but nobody starts them and even if you do your left on your own because nobody knows it and at bp theyed rather not help you out and follow. you need a big group of people to start it off and keep it going then others will join it  

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 125
Biccys
August 10, 2011, 12:07pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
SWWF is ours isn't it? The trouble is it peters out after 2 runs through. It should be our "dot ball", standard chant we do all the time, the same as with Mariners at corners, for longer than we do it now.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 125
Lew19
August 10, 2011, 2:31pm
Pontoon army
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / -2
thats because most fans do it twice then stop and leave the odd one or to ta say it again so there on there own and look a tool and they think its funny to laugh at them pathetic if you ask me

Grimsby till i die!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 125
GtfcGarner
August 10, 2011, 3:00pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +30 / -14
Approval: +1,786
Gold Stars: 26
different lyrics maybe and forget the hooligans in it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 125
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › New Chants

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.