Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › worst defender in the past 10 years and why
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

worst defender in the past 10 years and why

This thread currently has 15,934 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ticker_1610
July 18, 2011, 9:24am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +32 / -6
Remember that clearly definitely purposefully moved away from the flight of the ball, a bully and a coward. Someone did say that the player had been injured in a game for Brentford in similar circumstances that's why he ducked? Deffo worst defender in the last 10 years!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 66
DubaiMariner
July 18, 2011, 10:16am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +11 / -1
Quoted from mr viv

That is prity much my claim to fame that proved that me and anyone of the 120 or so that went that we were propa propa football and indeed grimsby town fans!!!..... i mean new yrs day 3pm ko in bloody wales fair play to me and the 100 odd

Not much of a claim to fame is it? Good on you for patting yourself on the back as well, very humble and propa of ya geez
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 66
brad_gtfc
July 18, 2011, 5:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269

Only thing i remember downey doing was scoring a last minute header from a corner away at wrexham in the slade play-off season on new years eve,town was awful that day and it was certainly  smash and grab

Wasn't it him and lump centre half that day? I could be wrong though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 66
brad_gtfc
July 18, 2011, 5:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +16 / -3
Approval: +269
Quoted from flash1
peter beagrie

He's a winger. Try again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 66
thornemariner
July 18, 2011, 5:19pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +655
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Tom Newey, lazy, shirt filling, crap haircutted twit. Always to the soft option, a player thicker than Bore but not nearly as quick and therefore unable to make up for his cerebral deficiencies. Thought he could take a FK when he simply couldn't. He just made my blood boil watching him.

Probably not actually the worst defender in the past 10 years, but I didn't like him so he's on the list from my point of view.

I didn't like Newey either though I couldn't put it as well as you. Heywood was the worst but Newey got on my nerves with the lazy hoof which always put us straight back under pressure when it invariably went to an opposition player. When he got to the ball that is.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 66
ponnyfan
July 18, 2011, 8:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Matt Heywood - total UC

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 66
barralass
July 18, 2011, 9:03pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +4 / -1
I'm with all the NEWEY haters on this one.
I can't think of how many times he got caught out by a fast right winger and got skinned for a cross leading to a goal.
Really gets my goat that he went on to Bury & now Rotherham in the League whilst we were slipping out of it.
Sadly shows how far we've fallen when the now shaven headed pratt looked competant against us on Saturday.
(Yes, for those at the match, it was Newey no.3 playing against us, moved from left back to centre back in 2nd half )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 66
Manchester Mariner
July 18, 2011, 9:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Matt Heywood, the worst defender I have ever seen, he was and probably still is the defensive definition of 'a liability'.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 66
biggles9999
July 18, 2011, 9:55pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from brad_gtfc

Wasn't it him and lump centre half that day? I could be wrong though.

Newey and Lump centre back I think, with Downey at left back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 66
aldi_01
July 18, 2011, 10:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Matt heywood. That game at port vale sticks in my mind. Was so incensed at half time it's the closest I've come to wanting to punch a player or even leave at half time purely because of that players performance. What a girl private.

As for Wrexham, that infamous Downey goal was scores inthe last minute with us a man down I believe and was certainly new years eve, not new years day.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › worst defender in the past 10 years and why

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.