Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › worst defender in the past 10 years and why
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

worst defender in the past 10 years and why

This thread currently has 15,932 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
ticker_1610
July 17, 2011, 8:34pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +32 / -6
The ex no 5 who bollocked others for his mistakes then allegedly hit a younger member of the squad, even hate saying his name, Hwd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 66
hook line and sinker
July 17, 2011, 8:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Quoted from Paddymariner

Futcher was not poor. Heywood, Hope, Samuels, Bull, Downey, Crane, Clarke and Watt were poor.
At the time Futcher was here he had to compete for a place with Jones and Whittle. At the age of 30, he's still playing
at a level above us.

Only thing i remember downey doing was scoring a last minute header from a corner away at wrexham in the slade play-off season on new years eve,town was awful that day and it was certainly  smash and grab
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 66
Fishfinger
July 17, 2011, 8:42pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +46 / -6
Approval: +144
Split between Matt heywood  and jamie clarke
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 66
newfootballer
July 17, 2011, 8:45pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +378
Ray Lancaster - I remember having a conversation with Icey about this lad. He was a good player from Rotherham and he was bought to replace the injured Ron Cockerill and he came with a good reputation and had played well against us.

In his home debut it became obvious that the lad couldn't run, he literally could not run.

If the ball came near he was reasonably OK but for most of the game he just stood still. The game went on passing him by and he just got slower and slower. The next game was the same, and the next. In those days in the 60s there were no subs so Town were playing with 10 men for most of these games. He was so poor he just had to be dropped.

A week or so later the explanation came in the Telegraph that he was having trouble breathing the sea air at Cleethorpes. Apparently it was thicker and cleaner and more full of ozone than what he was used to and he was struggling to train, let alone play. Whether this was true or not I can't say but in those days I always believed what the Telegraph told me.

Lancaster hardly played again for us so it was money down the drain. But I think he went on to play a bit for Boston and that he lived locally. Very strange little saga.

Where on earth did you conjure up some of the things in your post, you alleged that Ray Lancaster lacked in.

The statement that the Telegraph reported that he was struggling with his breathing because the Cleethorpes sea air was thicker and cleaner than where Ray came from which is Rotheram.

Now I am going to stick up for Ray because I know him well, I was a young lad when I first met Ray, when you join a football club you listen to players who have been around longer than yourself.
I learnt a lot of things of Ray when I was kid.

Did you know that Ray was on the edge of the England under twenty one team till he had to have the cartidges in both legs addressed and he was never the same again. came to Grimsby a great football professional I learnt a lot of Ray Lancaster and in my eyes you have got the story all wrong Ray Lancaster is now to me a realy nice person and always helped the young lads at G.T.F.C.
newfootballer
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 66
mr viv
July 17, 2011, 8:50pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2

Only thing i remember downey doing was scoring a last minute header from a corner away at wrexham in the slade play-off season on new years eve,town was awful that day and it was certainly  smash and grab

That is prity much my claim to fame that proved that me and anyone of the 120 or so that went that we were propa propa football and indeed grimsby town fans!!!..... i mean new yrs day 3pm ko in bloody wales fair play to me and the 100 odd
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 66
hook line and sinker
July 17, 2011, 8:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +37
Quoted from mr viv

That is prity much my claim to fame that proved that me and anyone of the 120 or so that went that we were propa propa football and indeed grimsby town fans!!!..... i mean new yrs day 3pm ko in bloody wales fair play to me and the 100 odd

i'm almost positive it was new years eve though? cracking 3 points on the back foot all game then walk away with 3points,thats when your a good side and lady luck comes into play
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 66
Les Brechin
July 17, 2011, 9:20pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,701
Gold Stars: 174
Ray Lancaster - I remember having a conversation with Icey about this lad. He was a good player from Rotherham and he was bought to replace the injured Ron Cockerill and he came with a good reputation and had played well against us.

In his home debut it became obvious that the lad couldn't run, he literally could not run.

If the ball came near he was reasonably OK but for most of the game he just stood still. The game went on passing him by and he just got slower and slower. The next game was the same, and the next. In those days in the 60s there were no subs so Town were playing with 10 men for most of these games. He was so poor he just had to be dropped.

A week or so later the explanation came in the Telegraph that he was having trouble breathing the sea air at Cleethorpes. Apparently it was thicker and cleaner and more full of ozone than what he was used to and he was struggling to train, let alone play. Whether this was true or not I can't say but in those days I always believed what the Telegraph told me.

Lancaster hardly played again for us so it was money down the drain. But I think he went on to play a bit for Boston and that he lived locally. Very strange little saga.

I didn't realise that Ron Cockerill had played for us in the last 10 years.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 66
tashee69
July 17, 2011, 9:21pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +28 / -4
Approval: +955
Gold Stars: 23

Am I in a time warp or is the thread the last 10 years !!  

Baldrick ! The only impression you can do is that of a man with no talent !!
GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 66
tashee69
July 17, 2011, 9:28pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
Tom Newey, lazy, shirt filling, crap haircutted twit. Always to the soft option, a player thicker than Bore but not nearly as quick and therefore unable to make up for his cerebral deficiencies. Thought he could take a FK when he simply couldn't. He just made my blood boil watching him.

Probably not actually the worst defender in the past 10 years, but I didn't like him so he's on the list from my point of view.

You missed out his wonderful ability of showing players inside to shoot resulting in goals. Can remember him doing that so many times when we was trying for our first win under MN.

GTFC team 09/10 - Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick, Baldrick.
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 66
tashee69
July 17, 2011, 9:30pm

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Les Brechin

I didn't realise that Ron Cockerill had played for us in the last 10 years.

Damn your faster typing !!  

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 66
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › worst defender in the past 10 years and why

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.