6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
oldfootballer
April 2, 2011, 2:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +21 / -2
Approval: +8
Quoted from grimsby pete
When I first started watching thr Mariners I stood next to my Dad unless there was a big crowd, then I stood in the boys paddock,

One of the best memories was when Dave Worthington came back to play against us and Kicked Dave Boylen so hard he went up in the air and landed in a heap,

One wag shouted out  " you big bully "  Worthy just turned round and gave us all a big grin.

Can you remember that tackle OLDFOOTBALLER ?

I remember that well, Dave Worthington had gone to Southend which I thought was a tragic mistake from Dave `s point of view. The game was against Southend United and it was Dave Worthingtons first time back at Blundell Park since leaving the club

At Town when ever we played London based or the south coast teams we use to have this soft clever cockneys wind ups with the opposition players to try and put them of their game

In football the verbal side out on the pitch is equally important to the playing of the actuel game
So this is what happened I was winding up Dave about Dave being a soft cockney footballer and cannot believe you are playing for Southend and that he was not as hard a player as he was at Town.

Well I went to far and Dave caught me with one of his famous all in tackles.

Bump flying in the air as you described, typical Wortho  block busting tackle, but if you remember I got him back and he had to go off.
OLD FOOTBALLER

when the ball is on the ground everybody is the same size its what you do with the ball that matters m/http/thisis.co.uk/274236/signature/gtfc-soldier-aphanfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 53
NorfolkImp
April 2, 2011, 5:32pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +10 / -10
Approval: -493
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

Thought you were older than that AI - weren't you at the 1976 game in the Taylor 4th div championship season? Lincoln fans took over both side stands, the Fox Street ended up being Grimsby and Lincoln fans. With Town being a division above, some Town lads felt excluded from the big local derby party so they turned up anyway. Maybe the original intention was join the Lincoln fans against the Scunny fans but it ended up with Lincoln and Town fans kicking off in the Fox Street. I was in the Donny Road with a Scunny supporting friend watching. Lincoln won 2-0, John Ward must have scored - he got buckets of goals that season.

No mate, not that old  ...... I was at the game, Big Sam & Wardy scored for us and we had half the crowd of 10k as you say, but I've never heard of this tale? I'll have to try and jog a few memories next time I'm back in Lincs for our inevitable relegation decider last day of the season v Aldershot  

Private Message
Reply: 51 - 53
OrieNmaRtIn
February 13, 2012, 3:46am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
The amount of drink that used to get passed around in there was phenomenal, and I often used to have a hip flask full of scotch myself.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 53
ancientmariner54
September 5, 2021, 10:07pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -200
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from jock dock tower
Did anyone else, like myself, originally start off in the boy's enclosure at the end of the Barratt?

Yes I did , my old man would stand in the Barretts just behind the barrier to keep an eye on me . Happy days!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Best Barratt Stand memories

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.