6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
theicenian
April 1, 2011, 10:07am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from oldun
Would of course was F A Would Chairman at the time. "Can you hear me Fenty" could never sound the same

Nor would JF be seen with a trilby and very large overcoat.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 53
jock dock tower
April 1, 2011, 10:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Did anyone else, like myself, originally start off in the boy's enclosure at the end of the Barratt?

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 53
battered haddock
April 1, 2011, 12:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Quoted from jock dock tower
Did anyone else, like myself, originally start off in the boy's enclosure at the end of the Barratt?

yes i started following town from the boys pen happy days................
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 53
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2011, 12:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from jock dock tower

Yes I did for a while but it was boring in there! If you went in the open corner between the Barratt & the Pontoon it was more interesting and you could sneak over the fence into the stand more easily at that end. For a while as a youngster I went in the Osmond because Town always kicked that way first half if they won the toss and you were allowed to walk all the way round behind the the Main Stand to the Pontoon to watch the second half. Away supporters were an alien species in those days.

As a teenager we used to be working on Saturdays kick off time but if we were lucky we could get in to see the second half of the match for free in the Main Stand when the gates opened.

Just going back to the Everton game and the Barratt, that night must hold the record time for the longest ever "Mariners" chant. It started as the Everton players came out to inspect the pitch and it didn't stop until they went back up the tunnel. It must have been a good 15 minutes of constant din. I'm sure one or two of their players tried to outlast the chant but we beat 'em. A few years later I heard Dave Booth say that it was almost impossible for George Kerr to give a team talk that night because of the noise reaching the dressing room. The team didn't need it anyway.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 53
Limerick Mariner
April 1, 2011, 1:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,659
Gold Stars: 136
Town v Everton seems to be the game most frequently mentioned as the beacon game for the old Blundell Park. It was our first Cup upset at home for many years and a full house at night meant that the atmosphere has never been bettered, nor will it unless terraces are allowed to return. I remember little of the game particularly the second half - an absolutely packed Harrington St corner wasn't exactly the best viewing point.

Pity there is no extended video footage of the game as far as I'm aware - I would love to see it if there was.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 53
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
April 1, 2011, 3:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Town v Everton seems to be the game most frequently mentioned as the beacon game for the old Blundell Park. It was our first Cup upset at home for many years and a full house at night meant that the atmosphere has never been bettered, nor will it unless terraces are allowed to return. I remember little of the game particularly the second half - an absolutely packed Harrington St corner wasn't exactly the best viewing point.

Pity there is no extended video footage of the game as far as I'm aware - I would love to see it if there was.

Probably because we all knew the Barratt was coming down in the near future and the Wolves match in the next round was nearly as good but of course we only drew that one.

There were others. Any game against Barnsley when Clarke and Hunter were there. Bobby C had a special affinity with the Barratt I think, and so did one or two others like Dave Worthington, Brian Hill, Johnny Scott and Jimmy Fell although Scotty took some stick from the Barratt from time to time.

It was a real mixture of fans as well. I remember Roy Bonnett who used to have a car body shop off Corporation Road and his mate Dave who worked at the Renault garage on Chelmsford Avenue. There was a fair sprinkling of teachers and retired teachers. There was old Harry who used to drive either Arthur Drewery or FA Would on trips for the FA - a fund of inside information. A couple of brickies who used to come straight from work in their overalls .... it was all common cause. It wasn't just the stand that disappeared it was all the characters that were together in it.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 53
Limerick Mariner
April 1, 2011, 4:31pm
Whiskey Drinker
Different sport, but that kind of terrace camraderie is now found in Rugby Union in areas where it is not an exclusively a public school game - ie Leicester, Northampton, Gloucester and I'm sure the same will apply in Rugby League areas. The Crumbie side terrace at Leicester holds 4.5k - cracking atmosphere of opposition player and ref baiting. The Shed at Gloucester is the same. The Samoan Tuilagi brothers at Leicester are the equivalent of Bobby Cumming - slightly different weight category though...

If I had choice of watching Town as a successful League 1 team in a redeveloped Blundell Park with terracing, occasionally bloodying the noses of Premiership ponces in the Cup, or perennial struggle in the Championship at a sterile all seater, like a bigger version of Glanford Park, and £25+ ticket prices, I think I would choose the former.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 53
jock dock tower
April 1, 2011, 4:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Different sport, but that kind of terrace camraderie is now found in Rugby Union in areas where it is not an exclusively a public school game - ie Leicester, Northampton, Gloucester and I'm sure the same will apply in Rugby League areas. The Crumbie side terrace at Leicester holds 4.5k - cracking atmosphere of opposition player and ref baiting. The Shed at Gloucester is the same. The Samoan Tuilagi brothers at Leicester are the equivalent of Bobby Cumming - slightly different weight category though...BUT NOT AS HARD!

If I had choice of watching Town as a successful League 1 team in a redeveloped Blundell Park with terracing, occasionally bloodying the noses of Premiership ponces in the Cup, or perennial struggle in the Championship at a sterile all seater, like a bigger version of Glanford Park, and £25+ ticket prices, I think I would choose the former.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 53
Limerick Mariner
April 1, 2011, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
That goes without saying, Bobby didn't need to be 18 stone to enforce...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 53
NorfolkImp
April 1, 2011, 5:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -504
Gold Stars: 11
Good thread this gents .... reckon I might do a similar one on our board re: Clanford End.  

Private Message
Reply: 39 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Best Barratt Stand memories

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.