6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Ipswin
March 31, 2011, 8:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
I recall my first ever match on Christmas Day 1958. My uncle, normally a regular in the Barratt, took me but presumably as I was only 7, we sat in the seats at the back of the Osmond. All his mates at the back of the Barratt who he should have been with were on the urine supping from large bottles of whisky and rum while he and I were on tea!

Later I graduated to the boys stand and of course climbed over into the Barratt proper and I remember the rickety stairs at the back of the stand very well - one set wasn't actually connected to the ground at all, it had rotted away about a foot short and was only actually attached to the stand at the top!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 53
Ipswin
March 31, 2011, 8:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pseudonym
Remember being in the boys stand as a kid but hardly used the Barratt Stand. Became a Pontoon Bootboy

'Pontoon Bootboy' - happy memories Terry  

Private Message
Reply: 21 - 53
Ipswin
March 31, 2011, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DJ Mera
Cries of 'ARE YOU THERE WOULD'

Older fans will remember that cry.

I remember it as 'Can you hear me Wouldy?' and it was a stocky grey haired old bloke who stood against the fence in the open corner between the Barratt and Osmond. I seem to remember he collapsed and died there.

Private Message
Reply: 22 - 53
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
March 31, 2011, 8:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

I remember it as 'Can you hear me Wouldy?' and it was a stocky grey haired old bloke who stood against the fence in the open corner between the Barratt and Osmond. I seem to remember he collapsed and died there.

He was usually well oiled, at least he was when I first saw/heard him he was and it was indeed in the open corner. He wasn't at every game because he was a fisherman so we were told. From memory he always wore a sports jacket whatever the weather. Later on he moved into the Osmond and the boys paddock end of the Barratt.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 53
TownSNAFU5
March 31, 2011, 9:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
I used to go in the Barratt occasionally but have no specific memories. My dad used to go in there and has a much older first memory.  

My dad can still remember selling matches in the Barratt in the early 1930s.  He was only very young then and a keen fan.  I hate to think of the severe fire risks looking after all those smokers in a packed wooden stand.  That was our glory days in the equivalent of the Prem.  

It was a miracle that there was not more fires like Bradford. When the Barratt was knocked down it was found to have no foundations. Probably built on the cheap with no health and safety in those days.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 53
zorro_is_a_Mariner
March 31, 2011, 9:50pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
I have none

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 53
promotion plaice
March 31, 2011, 10:36pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193
The Everton game was a fantastic atmoshere and will stick in the mind forever. When you came down the rickety old stairs at the back of the Barratt stand with your family you could see the blokes pissing in the urinals.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 53
conscorner
March 31, 2011, 11:01pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
Ron Rafferty Fan Club's posts on this subject are really spot on.

I have many happy memories viewing my football from this stand, the humour and wit of the crowd was brilliant, and players did respond to it. Unfortunately, humour and wit seems to be sadly lacking at football grounds these days, not just Blundell Park. May be somethimg to do with all seater stadiums - when the Barratt stand came down Blundell Park seemed to lose its soul.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 53
conscorner
March 31, 2011, 11:10pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
I remember a Boxing day fixture against Barnsley where a good few away supporters decided to occupy a section of the Barratt. They unwisely started a chorus of 'Come on you Reds' which was swiftly followed by 2000 Barratt Standers replying 'F--K off you Reds!

They decided to move to the Osmond!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 53
oldun
April 1, 2011, 9:17am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Would of course was F A Would Chairman at the time. "Can you hear me Fenty" could never sound the same
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 53
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Best Barratt Stand memories

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.