Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Worst GTFC player (to have played over 100 games)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Worst GTFC player (to have played over 100 games)

This thread currently has 13,104 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
December 4, 2010, 7:31am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
Quoted from jungleland

phil  bonnyman

I did consider Mr Bonnyman for this accolade but I forgave him on the fact that it was him who placed that free kick on Wilko's head at Goodison back in 1984.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 82
barralad
December 4, 2010, 8:14am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Les Brechin

I did consider Mr Bonnyman for this accolade but I forgave him on the fact that it was him who placed that free kick on Wilko's head at Goodison back in 1984.

I cannot believe the stick Phil Bonnyman is getting in this thread. A regular in midfield in the team that attained our highest league placing since just after the war. Are people trying to say that the rest of his team mates carried him?

Far more deserving candidates IMO

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 82
Abdul19
December 4, 2010, 8:28am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 213
Boshell - 118 appearances in all competitions.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 82
Les Brechin
December 4, 2010, 9:22am

Quoted from barralad

I cannot believe the stick Phil Bonnyman is getting in this thread. A regular in midfield in the team that attained our highest league placing since just after the war. Are people trying to say that the rest of his team mates carried him?

Far more deserving candidates IMO

I think it may have something to do with the big build-up and anticipation when we signed him.

IIRC it was announced in the paper that we were signing a well-renown central midfielder who was a household name and I think most people just thought "Who?" when his name was announced. I think he was on a loser even before he had kicked a ball.

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 82
barralad
December 4, 2010, 11:24am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,193
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from Les Brechin

I think it may have something to do with the big build-up and anticipation when we signed him.

IIRC it was announced in the paper that we were signing a well-renown central midfielder who was a household name and I think most people just thought "Who?" when his name was announced. I think he was on a loser even before he had kicked a ball.

Ah the good old cult of stardom.....

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 82
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 4, 2010, 11:42am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Phil was a good player. This is just the same criticism of a central midfield player who holds the ball and picks the pass that we seem to get all the time at BP. One minute we are screaming for midfielders to get rid and get stuck in, the next we are dreaming about having a class passer in there. Can't win can they?

The only midfielder who could possibly suit the Town fans would have to

dribble like Johnny Scott or Dave Gilbert
pass like Andy Peake or Dave Boylen
run all day like Joe Waters
get in the box like Shaun Cunnington or John Cockerill
shoot like Ron Cockerill
tackle like Bobby C

Anything less and they are a Boshell.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 82
Kris2
December 4, 2010, 11:47am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
Not sure how many games overall he played but it seemed like more than bloody 100. Jason Pearcey couldn't do anything right. Couldn't catch couldn't block and was generally only made to look good by Tommy Forecast
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 82
Youngy
December 4, 2010, 11:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Clearly Mumbo didnt see any of Slades 2nd season because the amount of games Reddy put the jeepers up defenders with his pace was amazing. He was rough round the edges but he was an impact player. I'm with Poojah on the Sladeball thing, I thought in the second season we played some really attacking pacey stuff, espically the home smashing of Notts County

Its tough to pick somebody who played over 100 games as generally the players who have played for Town and played over 100 games in my era of supporting (since 91) were good solid players. It's the players who have been here a season or less who are generally in my worst 11

I'm going to go for Danny Boshell, I only remember having one good game at BP. He was a midfielder who offered nothing coming forward or in a defensive role
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 82
Les Brechin
December 4, 2010, 12:08pm

Quoted from Kris2
Not sure how many games overall he played but it seemed like more than bloody 100. Jason Pearcey couldn't do anything right. Couldn't catch couldn't block and was generally only made to look good by Tommy Forecast

Pearcey played 49 times for Town.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 82
livosnose
December 4, 2010, 12:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +14 / -9
Approval: +1,143
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from Abdul19
Boshell - 118 appearances in all competitions.

he makes me feel sick

[img][/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Worst GTFC player (to have played over 100 games)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.