Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Worst GTFC player (to have played over 100 games)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Worst GTFC player (to have played over 100 games)

This thread currently has 13,219 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
theicenian
December 3, 2010, 10:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1

Can't believe that. He wasn't my favourite player by any means but Bob Mitchell knew where and how to pass the ball and his technique was way beyond Boshell's. OK his tackling wasn't brilliant but he wasn't there to do that.

If you went back to some old timers they'd say Mike Cullen was rubbish for the same reasons. Some might even say it about Johnny Scott. There's some kind of mistrust of playmakers at Grimsby. If a midfielder doesn't tackle like Bobby C and score goals like Joe Waters then they are considered crap. It's a team game and managers fit players' different strengths together to cover individual weaknesses as well and make that team work.

Yup,Johnny couldn't tackle and couldn't take a tackle,always looked like he would burst into tears if someone went in hard. But by god he could cross a ball and he could make a leather ball twist in the air like a corkscrew. By far the best winger I've seen play in black & white at BP.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 82
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 3, 2010, 10:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from theicenian

Yup,Johnny couldn't tackle and couldn't take a tackle,always looked like he would burst into tears if someone went in hard. But by god he could cross a ball and he could make a leather ball twist in the air like a corkscrew. By far the best winger I've seen play in black & white at BP.

You may remember a night game in 1961 at the end of the season against Southampton who were already promoted from Div 3. Alan Barnett saved a penalty and we won 3-2. Scott was magnificent that night and the way he played with Don Donovan was magic. The crowd were just entranced every time he got the ball. In the Southampton team was Terry Paine who was nearly ready to play for England and Scott made him look like an amateur.

Quite right about his non-physical approach though.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 82
cannylad68
December 3, 2010, 12:06pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +33
Gold Stars: 8
Bob Mitchell was an excellent player, and as previously stated was part of a 'team'.
Information for Ron Rafferty Fan Club, a friend of mine who was involved at Blundell Park at the time, told me that Ron Rafferty headed all Johnny Scot's crosses on the up.
No wonder he got the power on the ball as he did.
Didn't Mickey Cullen play midfield for us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 82
ginnywings
December 3, 2010, 2:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Seems it's just me and Les who didn't rate Bob Mitchell then.

I do understand the importance of a midfield anchor man,i even played that position myself but i never thought Bobby Mitchell was owt special.Far better than anything we have now but he never did it for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 82
upthestripes
December 3, 2010, 2:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from Poojah

Can't work out if you're being entirely serious or not, but Reddy has to be one of the best players to have played for the club since we were relegated from the Championship. The only others who come close for me would be Gary and Rob Jones, Martin Paterson and Jamie Devitt. Even Alan Connell has a long way to go before he can be considered in the same league, for me. If you need your memory refreshing, watch this:

A bit painful to watch actually; can you see our current lot scoring goals like these?

That's a nice video, brought a tear to the eye especially as I watched clips of the Spurs and Liverpool games straight afterwards.

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 82
December 3, 2010, 3:19pm
Guest User
Anyone else finding it difficult to think of players who've managed 100 games over the last ten years? It seems to have been an endless procession of loan players, mercenaries and sh1t twits.
Reply: 55 - 82
jungleland
December 3, 2010, 4:02pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +124
regarding  bobby mitchell  i remember  george  kerr saying   his  was the first  name on the team  sheet ...  his  midfield  replacement   bonnyman  really was crap
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 82
siy2k5
December 3, 2010, 4:12pm
Bite me!
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: -2
Quoted from 97
Anyone else finding it difficult to think of players who've managed 100 games over the last ten years? It seems to have been an endless procession of loan players, mercenaries and sh1t twits.

Hence why we are where we are :/

Quoted from marinerian
If Newport win it b4 heir vist to BP, I will sit in The Osmond dressed as Little Bo-Peep for the match against them!  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 82
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 3, 2010, 5:45pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from cannylad68
Bob Mitchell was an excellent player, and as previously stated was part of a 'team'.
Information for Ron Rafferty Fan Club, a friend of mine who was involved at Blundell Park at the time, told me that Ron Rafferty headed all Johnny Scot's crosses on the up.
No wonder he got the power on the ball as he did.
Didn't Mickey Cullen play midfield for us?

In the Southampton game Ralph Hunt headed a goal from a Scott cross that was the most powerful I've seen. What Johnny did was put his crosses just between the penalty spot and the goal area. Hunt & Rafferty just had to arrive there at the right time and ball would go in like a bullet.

Mick Cullen was in midfield for that team. I liked him but he wasn't over-popular with the fans. His replacement a couple of seasons later was Ronnie Foster who really was a class act. When Ron went back down south we had little Billy Rudd from York. Every side had a playmaker in those days.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 82
80sglory
December 4, 2010, 4:56am
Guest User
Quoted from jungleland

phil  bonnyman

Agree.
Reply: 59 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Worst GTFC player (to have played over 100 games)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.