6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
September 15, 2010, 8:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,863
Gold Stars: 42

I am not from Grimsby/Cleethorpes so am objective as far as great fish and chips are concerned in the area.  As a family, we tried Steele's about 3 years ago. Good but not overly-impressed. The view was it was a bit old-fashioned and maybe living on its past glories.

We went to Ocean and have been going ever since to the restaurant and takeaway. All elements have been excellent every time.   Fish and chips (etc) cannot be better.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 51
ponnyfan
September 15, 2010, 10:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.44
Rep Score: +36 / -3
Approval: +94
Steele's still the best in my humble opinion although I have to say that the Ocean fish bar does serve up a quality bit of fish.Marklew's is not what it was but generally I find takeaways are very much dependant on the day itself to determine the quality.What tastes fantastic one day could be average on the next - it's the luck of the draw  

The Icenian Prediction League Winner 2011  .......the first Champion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 51
kingofthekippers
September 15, 2010, 11:03pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +39 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from TownSNAFU5

I am not from Grimsby/Cleethorpes so am objective as far as great fish and chips are concerned in the area.  As a family, we tried Steele's about 3 years ago. Good but not overly-impressed. The view was it was a bit old-fashioned and maybe living on its past glories.

We went to Ocean and have been going ever since to the restaurant and takeaway. All elements have been excellent every time.   Fish and chips (etc) cannot be better.  

I am from Grimsby but to be honest the best fish and chips I've had were from Whitby.

Mr McGee, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 51
cmackenzie4
September 15, 2010, 11:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.27
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,335
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from trawldoor
My mate is in the fish game and his contact in Grimsby has told us to head for the Market Square in Cleethorpes. Where setting of at 8.30am by minibus for a jolly good day out. Like minded footie fans are more than welcome to met up with our mixed age group for a good drink and chat about the days when you could,nt get another Trawler in our respective Fish Dock`s. How sad that a once proud Fleet in Fleetwood, Grimsby, Hull, Lowesoft etc has had it`s heart ripped out due to bad foresight from the government in power at the time.
Anyway I used to stay at my Auntie`s in Scartho when I was little and thought it was quite posh am I right?

hope you enjoy your day,ive got fond memories of fleetwood,its were my nanna came from,she moved here to grimsby during the war,the market place is a good place to be,have to agree with a majority of posters on here with regards to steeles fish and chips going down hill,the ocean bar on the main street just off the market place is worth a look,there is plenty of pubs,have a good day trawldoor

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 51
I am reading it
September 18, 2010, 12:45pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from gtfczak
the market streets good for pubs, go to steels for quality fish and chips. ( i work their and hopefully my boss will give me a pay rise if he sees this )

Hopefully, but not very likely.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 51
Welwynmariner
September 18, 2010, 12:58pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
Let's hope we can be welcoming to Fleetwood on their first visit. I hope the same is true of AFC Wimbledon when they come given what happened to their club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 51
1mickylyons
September 18, 2010, 1:00pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
cracking thread and good luck to Fleetwood after today.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 51
I am reading it
September 18, 2010, 1:00pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Quoted from Civvy at last

My experience not quite as bad but getting on that way.  Portions down and fish not as good.  I know of one local fish mercheant who complained that the fish he was served had been frozen.  After a big denial originally, the management accepted that he knew his stuff and the meal was then a freebie. Ernie B's is now my preferred choice

OK, I'm posting under an alternative log in as a once only. I post a lot on here but it is a footy board and I dont want to mix work and pleasure. I am the owner/manager of Steels. Maybe I can get you to ask the local fish merchant involved to contact me as far as I am aware this has never happened. If someone is purported to be me then I would prefer to know about it. Thanks for all the nice comments above and I will take on board the negative ones. There has been no change in the fish, size of portions etc for many many years. However if there is a perception that this is so, I will look into it.

Thank you, standing off soap box now. GTFCZAK, dont be late for work. This username will now be retired again, if anyone does genuinely wish to contact me, I can be emailed directly via our website. This is not a place for advertising but the site is easy to find via a search engine for those that wish to.

Back to the footy please

Ian
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 51
1mickylyons
September 18, 2010, 1:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from I am reading it

OK, I'm posting under an alternative log in as a once only. I post a lot on here but it is a footy board and I dont want to mix work and pleasure. I am the owner/manager of Steels. Maybe I can get you to ask the local fish merchant involved to contact me as far as I am aware this has never happened. If someone is purported to be me then I would prefer to know about it. Thanks for all the nice comments above and I will take on board the negative ones. There has been no change in the fish, size of portions etc for many many years. However if there is a perception that this is so, I will look into it.

Thank you, standing off soap box now. GTFCZAK, dont be late for work. This username will now be retired again, if anyone does genuinely wish to contact me, I can be emailed directly via our website. This is not a place for advertising but the site is easy to find via a search engine for those that wish to.

Back to the footy please

Ian

It was John Fenty so i heard.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 51
James77
September 18, 2010, 1:29pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +53
Fair dos for posting on this Ian, but a good thread all the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 51
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Greetings fellow fishy friends

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.