Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Keith Alexander Dies....
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Keith Alexander Dies....

This thread currently has 17,107 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 5, 2010, 11:54am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +17 / -5
Approval: +1,040
Gold Stars: 10
I'm sure it was richard o'kelly who missed the second header

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy
I asked my daddy what would i be
would I be United, would i be Leeds
Here's what he said to me

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
You'll follow then faithfully
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I dont want no tea no tea
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 171
Brazilnut
March 5, 2010, 12:55pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
I'm sure it was richard o'kelly who missed the second header

you would think that.......but then again you are use to being wrong

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 171
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 5, 2010, 1:54pm
Brandy Drinker
It was Richard o'Kelly, I am unanimous in that.
He certainly missed a second header by miles anyway.

I am certainly used to others, mistakingly thinking I am wrong

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 171
Brazilnut
March 5, 2010, 2:03pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +978
Gold Stars: 30
It was Richard o'Kelly, I am unanimous in that.
He certainly missed a second header by miles anyway.

I am certainly used to others, mistakingly thinking I am wrong

a unanimus vote of one....wow i am totally out numbered .......i will have to beg to differ  ..and just stand aside quietly

I am right

<*(((><

Town have given me some of my highest highs and my lowest lows ........ God it is like a marriage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 171
The_Laughing_Mariner
March 5, 2010, 2:07pm
Brandy Drinker
On careful consideration

no you are not

<'(((((<

When I was a little boy

Oh Grimsby Grimsby
Whatever will be will be
Oh Grimsby Grimsby

Tell me Mam me Mam
I'm watching the Grimsby
Tell me Mam me mam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 171
jock dock tower
March 5, 2010, 10:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.38
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
Will be on the terraces at Auchinleck tomorrow, as I am most weeks now for the game vs Ashfield (Scottish Junior Western Super League - same standard as mid to bottom Conference?) and will have my own personal 60 seconds silence for the BIG MAN.

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 171
LewishamRed
March 6, 2010, 9:13am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Funeral details now confirmed as at Lincoln Cathedral on 15/03/2010.

I am sure fans of all the clubs he represented can be united, only Keith could do that.

RIP Big Man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 171
Les Brechin
March 6, 2010, 11:45am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
An  excellent obituary in todays Independent.

Quoted Text
If there was a certain symmetry about the football career of Keith Alexander, in that his first club as a player, Notts County, was also the scene of his last match as a manager, there was nothing neat or clear-cut about his attempts to establish himself in the sport during an era in which racial stereotyping was widespread.

Alexander was not the first black man to become "permanent" manager of a Football League club, a distinction which fell to Tony Collins, who took charge of Rochdale between 1960 and '67. However, he was the second, and was one of only two, with Paul Ince at Milton Keynes Dons, managing in full-time football at the time of his death.

In the context of the modern game, his appointment by Lincoln City in 1993 was a landmark to rank alongside the appearance in the England team of his fellow son of Nottingham, Viv Anderson, in 1979. He was also the longest-serving black manager. Despite major health problems six years ago, he had worked in a variety of managerial roles for 17 years until his death, aged 53, in Lincoln hospital shortly after Macclesfield Town's 1-0 defeat in the city of his birth.

Alexander, who was a qualified referee, was a quietly dignified advocate of equality and spoke at forums organised by the anti-racist Kick It Out campaign. As the Sky Sports summariser Chris Kamara noted, he did not "bang the drum", preferring to be judged as a manager who happened to be black rather than a black manager.

Compared with his time as a player, which took in spells at no fewer than 20 clubs, Alexander's managerial CV proved a model of brevity. A 6ft 4in centre-forward, he did not make his first League appearance until the age of 31, with Grimsby Town, and was in his mid-thirties when he played the first of three international games for St Lucia, the island from which his parents emigrated to Britain in 1954.

Growing up in the East Midlands, Alexander had encountered what he believed to be racial hatred when a shop owned by his parents was destroyed in an arson attack. He found a measure of acceptance through his ability as a footballer, being offered trials with Notts County as a teenager. When they did not come to fruition, he embarked on a 15-year apprenticeship for his breakthrough into senior football, playing for Wisbech, Worksop, Clifton, Ilkeston, Kimberley, Alfreton, Stamford (two spells), Boston United, Kings Lynn (two spells), Spalding and Grantham.

At Wembley in 1980 he scored one of Stamford's goals when they defeated Guisborough to win the FA Vase. Stepping up to the level below the Football League with Kettering Town, he continued to score regularly, although he later recalled chillingly that he was "nearly lynched" after scoring the winning goal away to the south London club Fisher Athletic.

Barry Fry, then striving to lead Barnet into the League under the chairmanship of the infamous ticket broker Stan Flashman, signed Alexander in 1986. Over the next two seasons he was part of a side narrowly beaten to the single promotion spot, though his next move, to Grimsby in 1988, both fulfilled his ambition to play in the League and brought him under the tutelage of Alan Buckley, who he cited as his biggest influence. He kept moving on search of a regular game: next to Stockport County, then Lincoln and Mansfield, before a 15-game stint with the Belfast team Cliftonville, where the veteran became a cult figure after scoring twice in the largely Catholic club's victory over staunchly Protestant Linfield at Windsor Park.

While the historical difficulties faced by black players seeking to enter management did not deter him, nor, after he had impressed Lincoln's hierarchy by coaching the youth team, did landing the job blind him to reality. After taking over at the club, which he said had "a liberal chairman who did not look at people's colour", he proffered the opinion that "if you're black it's still twice as hard to get on in any walk of life".

Alexander started in management as he would finish, operating on a shoestring. His office at Sincil Bank contained a couch and blankets in a corner. After one season he was replaced by Sam Ellis, and when he did resurface, it was with Ilkeston and Northwich Victoria.

When his mentor, Buckley, took the helm at Lincoln, he gave Alexander the dual roles of director of football and assistant manager. To prevent the fourth-grade club entering liquidation in 2002, Buckley was released and Alexander restored to the post he had relinquished eight years earlier. This time he was successful, reaching the promotion play-offs on four consecutive occasions.

The feat was all the more remarkable given that in 2003, five months after their first play-off final defeat, he suffered a double cerebral aneurysm. After emergency surgery and six months' recuperation, he returned to his post. In 2006, after Lincoln were again beaten in the play-off final by neighbouring Grimsby, came a parting "by mutual consent".

Fry was by then the chairman at Peterborough United and promptly installed him at London Road, proclaiming the "miracles" he had performed on a "limited budget" at Lincoln. Among his signings, George Boyd (from Stevenage) and Aaron McLean (from Grays) would be instrumental in The Posh gaining successive promotions in 2007-08 and 2008-09. Alexander would not share in the triumphs, having been dismissed after only seven months and replaced by Darren Ferguson with the team lying eighth in League Two.

After a spell as Bury's director of football, he became Macclesfield's manager in February 2008. In his first full season his new charges restricted Everton, the eventual FA Cup finalists, to a 1-0 win at the Moss Rose. Alexander's resourcefulness and perseverance again came to the fore; their average attendance of 1,900 was the League's second lowest. Yet when he died following a brain haemorrhage, shortly after he had suffered from severe hiccups for three weeks, Macclesfield stood eight points clear of relegation.

Keith Alexander, footballer and manager: born Nottingham 14 November 1956; played League football for Grimsby Town, Stockport County, Lincoln City, Mansfield Town; won three caps for St Lucia, 1990; managed Lincoln City 1993-94, Ilkeston Town 1995-2000, Northwich Victoria 2000-01, Lincoln City 2002-06, Peterborough United 2006-07; Macclesfield Town 2008-10; married (three sons, one daughter); died Lincoln 3 March 2010.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 171
forza ivano
March 7, 2010, 12:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.47
Rep Score: +73 / -18
Approval: +15,136
Gold Stars: 265
yeah was a nice obit, les.well done the independent on afull page spread with photo. a fitting tribute
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 171
Les Brechin
March 8, 2010, 8:58am

Posts Per Day: 4.19
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,644
Gold Stars: 168
A great quote from the big man in The Mirror today.

Sent to the stands after rowing with an official, Keith managed to persuade the referee to change his mind and was told he could remain in the dugout if he "stayed inconspicuous".

Keith replied "I'm a six-foot-five black man in Macclesfield. How the hell am I going to stay inconspicuous".  

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 171
18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Keith Alexander Dies....

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.