Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  The New Fishy  /  
Posted by: crusty ole pie, April 15, 2024, 8:46pm
The wheels have really fallen off they are2down at Gateshead they must still be partying hard
Posted by: Les Brechin, April 15, 2024, 9:08pm; Reply: 1
I don't think they've won a game since they clinched the title have they?
Posted by: TAGG, April 15, 2024, 9:08pm; Reply: 2
Out of the others I would love to see Halifax get promoted.
Posted by: Poojah, April 15, 2024, 9:27pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from TAGG
Out of the others I would love to see Halifax get promoted.

I’m with you on that, but I’m slightly biased in that it’s either a half-an-hour drive or an hour on the train for me, and I happen to like a couple of pubs not far from the Shay.

Our recent record there is hideous, mind. I think I’ve seen us play there 4 times (including the pre-season friendly ahead of our first season in non-league), and we’ve lost every time. From a quick check Town haven’t won there since 1988; was that the infamous burger van game?

Edit: it wasn’t; looks like that was a couple of years later
Posted by: Limerick Mariner, April 15, 2024, 9:38pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from Poojah

I’m with you on that, but I’m slightly biased in that it’s either a half-an-hour drive or an hour on the train for me, and I happen to like a couple of pubs not far from the Shay.

Our recent record there is hideous, mind. I think I’ve seen us play there 4 times (including the pre-season friendly ahead of our first season in non-league), and we’ve lost every time. From a quick check Town haven’t won there since 1988; was that the infamous burger van game?

Edit: it wasn’t; looks like that was a couple of years later

And we didn’t win then either - it was 2-2.

We also lost there in an FA Cup replay 1-0 on an absolutely freezing night. That would have been about 1988.

Halifax would be my first choice, then Alty, then Barnet. Not that I like Barnet, but we always take about a thousand there and the Aalst lot would probably go there again in good numbers.

Posted by: moosey_club, April 15, 2024, 9:41pm; Reply: 5
As good as local derbies seem on paper Chesterfield and maybe Halifax will be ruined by police advice / police overkill , early kick offs, possible TV schedule interference etc.
Posted by: AlfredTheGreat, April 15, 2024, 9:51pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from moosey_club
As good as local derbies seem on paper Chesterfield and maybe Halifax will be ruined by police advice / police overkill , early kick offs, possible TV schedule interference etc.

The police are going to have as much trouble with changing kick-offs as everyone else. Pre-match drinks going to be hard at the best of time.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, April 15, 2024, 10:03pm; Reply: 7
Apparently the gaffer was on holiday last week... mental if it's true. Lost all momentum going into next season and now they can't even reach 100 points despite the good season they've had.
Posted by: Mappers, April 15, 2024, 10:05pm; Reply: 8
I think if you have scored 103 goals in a season you can take it easy for the last few games .
Posted by: oochiad, April 15, 2024, 10:06pm; Reply: 9
Halifax have a game Tuesday, Thursday and then the Saturday!!
Posted by: Heisenberg, April 15, 2024, 10:23pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from oochiad
Halifax have a game Tuesday, Thursday and then the Saturday!!

That’s nothing - Truro in the NLS have so far had April games on the 1st, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 13th!!!
Posted by: Poojah, April 15, 2024, 10:29pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

And we didn’t win then either - it was 2-2.

We also lost there in an FA Cup replay 1-0 on an absolutely freezing night. That would have been about 1988.

Halifax would be my first choice, then Alty, then Barnet. Not that I like Barnet, but we always take about a thousand there and the Aalst lot would probably go there again in good numbers.

I’ll be honest, I thought we lost. Time clouds the memory, but I was a bit distracted that day. I’d driven to Manchester before the game to spunk what was quite a lot of money to me at the time on an engagement ring for my then girlfriend and had the ring in my glovebox.

Because of that I was late to the game and ended up parking down not the most accommodating looking Halifax street, and was shítting it in case someone broke in and nicked it. A bit of an irrational fear looking back, but that was definitely my dominating thought as I sat a few seats from an injured Darran Kempson.

As I said, time clouds the memory but, if I’m not mistaken, didn’t a young Jamie Vardy play for Halifax that afternoon?
Posted by: Abdul19, April 15, 2024, 10:45pm; Reply: 12
Certainly did: https://upthemariners.co.uk/2016/05/22/flashback-fc-halifax-town-1-grimsby-town-2/
Posted by: Poojah, April 15, 2024, 10:52pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Abdul19

Good man. Googled it but couldn’t find a definitive answer anywhere.  
Posted by: lukeo, April 16, 2024, 5:55am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Heisenberg

That’s nothing - Truro in the NLS have so far had April games on the 1st, 4th, 6th, 8th, 10th, 11th and 13th!!!

Not only this but they're also playing their home games 3.5hrs drive away from Truro at NL North side Gloucesters ground!!
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 16, 2024, 6:26am; Reply: 15
As long as Bromley don’t come up with them 🤮🤮
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, April 16, 2024, 11:10am; Reply: 16
Quoted from Heisenberg

And by 20th April, the last match of the season they will have played 10 games in 20 days.

Posted by: MarinerWY, April 16, 2024, 11:58am; Reply: 17

And by 20th April, the last match of the season they will have played 10 games in 20 days.

Blimey, can you imagine what Klopp would say...
Posted by: WayneBurnettsJockstrap, April 17, 2024, 6:37pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from MarinerWY

Blimey, can you imagine what Klopp would say...

Yes

Hallo. Mein Name ist Jürgen Klopp. Zehn Spiele in zwanzig Tagen sind für jeden eine Sauerei. Ich meine, das sind doch fitte Fußballer, die in der Lage sein sollten, jeden Tag ein Spiel zu bestreiten. Meine Mannschaft besteht aus schwachen und erbärmlichen Weicheiern, die sich beschweren, wenn sie zwei Spiele in der Woche spielen. Mein Team ist Scheiße.
Print page generated: May 22, 2024, 3:51am