Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 25, 2021, 7:21pm

Torquay equalise in the 5th minute of injury time after Chesterfield were 2 up.

Just shows you can take nothing for granted in this league.

Maybe our draw at Maidenhead today wasn't that bad after all.
Posted by: aldi_01, September 25, 2021, 7:34pm; Reply: 1
A draw away from home is never really a bad result…
Posted by: Poojah, September 25, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 2
It wasn’t. Town aren’t going to play like we did against Wrexham every game this season, and we’re not going to win every week. God forbid, we might lose occasionally.

So far this season we’ve won 5, drawn 2 and lost 0. That includes matches against this season’s two standout favourites with the bookies. Who wouldn’t have taken that at the beginning of August?

Wrexham lost their second game of the season. They’ve only won 3 out 8, with a wage budget probably not far off double ours. Notts County also lost their second of the season. Chesterfield couldn’t beat a Torquay side at home that we dispatched 3-1 in their own yard a couple of weeks ago. For the record, Chesterfield are yet to face anyone currently in the top 9 in the division.

Whatever we do this season, we won’t be perfect. Just enjoy the fact that we remain unbeaten and have a great chance of going top on Tuesday night. Today might have been mildly disappointing, but on balance I’m incredibly happy with that.
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, September 25, 2021, 7:35pm; Reply: 3
Loving that 95th minute equaliser

The lad up front for Chesterfield proving to be a top signing for them

Still us and them the only two sides unbeaten now in the league
Posted by: ginnywings, September 26, 2021, 12:10am; Reply: 4
Wow!

When I went out earlier, Chesterfield were winning 2-0 and I thought that was game, set and match.

Just shows that this league isn't as cut and dried as folk imagine.

Long way to go.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 26, 2021, 1:29am; Reply: 5
Watched the game earlier up until 1-0 Chesterfield, prior to that was a pretty low quality game, Tshiminga and Payne had hardly touched the ball ...Torquay possibly edging it first half.
Tshiminga for the first goal was just in the right place at the right time, or ......he was lucky that a bit of a flap from their keeper landed at his feet
...whether you consider that a sign of a good striker...or pure luck........ Is upto you but he hardly touched the ball prior to that goal.

Rest  of the  game I missed  but  neither  side  really impressed
Posted by: ska face, September 26, 2021, 10:48am; Reply: 6
Of the 6 goals Chesterfield have conceded this season, 5 have come in injury time apparently.

Very amusing, but indicates they must be pretty solid on the whole. They’ve also played all the bottom 4 and nobody higher than 9th (as it stands).

What does this mean? Nothing. Enjoy your Sunday and be with the Lord.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 26, 2021, 11:10am; Reply: 7
points dropped by the Big 6

Gy - 4
Chesterfield 6
Notts County 9
Wrexham 12
Stockport 13
Southend 16
Posted by: Zmariner, September 26, 2021, 11:29am; Reply: 8
Quoted from aldi_01
A draw away from home is never really a bad result…

In the football league that theory applies. In the National League will you need about 90 points to get promoted it is not really so true.

We just had an off day today, certainly not the end of the world but this is a league where you need to win a lot of games in fact nearly 2 out of every three To win the league. a draw away from home against a poor team is okay for a playoff place but not if you want to win this league. Personally, I would go for broke in these sort of games and 100% would’ve brought on Lenny and not another centre half. Would’ve been much better to play the game at the other end of the pitch done bring on a rusty Pearson
Posted by: lukeo, September 26, 2021, 1:30pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Zmariner

In the football league that theory applies. In the National League will you need about 90 points to get promoted it is not really so true.

We just had an off day today, certainly not the end of the world but this is a league where you need to win a lot of games in fact nearly 2 out of every three To win the league. a draw away from home against a poor team is okay for a playoff place but not if you want to win this league. Personally, I would go for broke in these sort of games and 100% would’ve brought on Lenny and not another centre half. Would’ve been much better to play the game at the other end of the pitch done bring on a rusty Pearson

If we win half and draw half the games will we be promoted as champions do you think?
In my opinion I don't think it'll need a massive amount of points this year apposed to previous seasons gone by... As shown already anyone can take points from anyone at the moment.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 26, 2021, 10:51pm; Reply: 10
No Luke. Winning half and drawing half gives you an average of 2 points per game. You need more than that in this division as there’s only one automatic promotion place. As zmariner said, that’s OK in the FL, but not NL.
Posted by: smokey111, September 26, 2021, 11:03pm; Reply: 11
2 points a game from here on in will give 95, more than enough in the majority of the last 8 years. This season already seems like there will be a bunch of competitive sides taking points off one another. I am convinced 95 points would equal champions this season.
Posted by: SouthLakesMariner, September 27, 2021, 1:23am; Reply: 12
I watched the whole of the Chesterfield v Torquay game and concluded that Chesterfield are well organised but not a spectacular team. What they do have though is a real goal poacher who will win them games they probably would otherwise have drawn. It’s a reminder that we still haven’t signed our number 9. If we had a goal threat like Tshimanga added to the talented squad we already have, we’d be unstoppable.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 27, 2021, 1:24am; Reply: 13
Actually it’d give us 91 points as there’s 37 games left to play (only a 44 game season with 23 teams). A tiny bit less than the average PPG over the last 20 seasons. We’d miss out by a point or two on the 20 year average PPG, believe it or not.

You have to do incredibly well to get automatic promotion in this division. Remember Wrexham missing out despite getting 99 one year, as an extreme example.
Print page generated: May 18, 2024, 1:00am