All I know is Grimsbys on the way
Posted by: LH, January 1, 2020, 12:42pm; Reply: 2
Make it stop 😱
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 1, 2020, 1:47pm; Reply: 3
;D ;D ;D ;D Get a grip.
Posted by: heppy88, January 1, 2020, 1:56pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from LH
Make it stop 😱

Thanks for the laugh LH. Got to say I agree. I always thought Grimberians were as tough as nails, but why do we always insist on the managerial love in. He hasnt even managed a game yet and the shops have run out of kleenex :o
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 1, 2020, 2:06pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from heppy88

Thanks for the laugh LH. Got to say I agree. I always thought Grimberians were as tough as nails, but why do we always insist on the managerial love in. He hasnt even managed a game yet and the shops have run out of kleenex :o

East Coast Scousers you lot.  Without the success.   ;D ;D
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 1, 2020, 2:11pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Stevie Cammack

East Coast Scousers us lot. Without the success.   ;D ;D

Freudian slip there before editing Dumblebore
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 1, 2020, 2:12pm; Reply: 7

Just remember treacle, your ancestry is with a sandwich
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 1, 2020, 7:33pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Marinerz93

Why do you feel the need to lie?  
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 1, 2020, 7:34pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Just remember treacle, your routes are with a sandwich

I beggeth you pardon?
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 1, 2020, 8:54pm; Reply: 10

Why do I feel the need to lie?  

[img]https://i.imgur.com/9gYZoAI.jpg[/img]

Maybe because you can't help being a troll Dumblebore
Posted by: Mariner Timsky, January 1, 2020, 9:19pm; Reply: 11
I noticed in his interview with JT I think it was post match Ollie mentioned about the songs - I think he could hear songs being sung but didn’t know what they are - be nice if someone can update him on on the Town songs he will be hearing a lot of - maybe a message on twitter or something eh

UTM

Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 2, 2020, 12:35am; Reply: 12

I beggeth you pardon?

In bread
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 5, 2020, 5:37pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Marinerz93

You are quite disturbing you - I presume you are a grown bloke, but you invent imaginary edits to prove an imaginary, crazy, irrelevant, theory.  

Instead of replying with a stupid picture or video, why don't you admit you actually admit you made that up?  And more importantly, why you felt the compunction?  Genuinely interested.
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 5, 2020, 5:40pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
I noticed in his interview with JT I think it was post match Ollie mentioned about the songs - I think he could hear songs being sung but didn’t know what they are - be nice if someone can update him on on the Town songs he will be hearing a lot of - maybe a message on twitter or something eh

UTM

Absolutely fantastic idea.  Tell 'Ollie' I personally love him with all my heart.    

Jesus wept.
Posted by: rancido, January 5, 2020, 5:59pm; Reply: 15

You are quite disturbing you - I presume you are a grown bloke, but you invent imaginary edits to prove an imaginary, crazy, irrelevant, theory.  

Instead of replying with a stupid picture or video, why don't you admit you actually admit you made that up?  And more importantly, why you felt the compunction?  Genuinely interested.

This Scunt fan is a complete plank!
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 5, 2020, 6:09pm; Reply: 16

[img]https://i.imgur.com/9gYZoAI.jpg[/img]

The only one around here making things up is yourself, proof is your form in pretending to be a Scunt when your obviously a Town fan on a fishing trip using rotten bait (with incorrect facts that others called you out on and you made a poor attempt to divert away from answering those who outed you)  ;D

If you really are a Scunt, which I see no real evidence of, maybe you could explain whilst the Scunts are above us in the league their last home gate was lower than ours by over 1,000, why is that and how many did Plymouth bring.

Surely there are better Scunthorpe strikers in your short history than a player who couldn't cut it above division 4 to name yourself after, Dumblebore  ;D
Posted by: Les Brechin, January 5, 2020, 6:47pm; Reply: 17
How about a version of Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello.

"Holloway's Army Is Here To Stay
Holloway's Army Are On Their Way,
And I'd Not Rather Be Anywhere Else But Here Today"
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 5, 2020, 6:54pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Les Brechin
How about a version of Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello.

"Holloway's Army Is Here To Stay
Holloway's Army Are On Their Way,
And I'd Not Rather Be Anywhere Else But Here Today"

Like it Les but I'd go with "Ollies Army"   :)

Posted by: wuffing, January 5, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 19
and how about: Olly Olly Olly
                          Oi Oi Oi
                          Olly Olly Olly
                          Oi Oi Oi
                          Olly
                          Oi
                          Olly
                          Oi
                          Olly Olly Olly
                          Oi Oi Oi
Posted by: Rik e B, January 6, 2020, 6:16am; Reply: 20
I find these threads a bit pointless, chants develop themselves on the terraces, or not. If you think one of these could work you had better be prepared to bellow it from the top of your lungs, preferably with a few mates in tow, and hope it picks up and spreads.
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 6, 2020, 8:01am; Reply: 21
Quoted from rancido

This Scunt fan is a complete plank!

But you are in fact agreeing with and calling me a plank in the same breath.... :-/
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 6, 2020, 8:05am; Reply: 22
Quoted from Marinerz93

The only one around here making things up is yourself, proof is your form in pretending to be a Scunt when your obviously a Town fan on a fishing trip using rotten bait (with incorrect facts that others called you out on and you made a poor attempt to divert away from answering those who outed you)  ;D

If you really are a Scunt, which I see no real evidence of, maybe you could explain whilst the Scunts are above us in the league their last home gate was lower than ours by over 1,000, why is that and how many did Plymouth bring.

Surely there are better Scunthorpe strikers in your short history than a player who couldn't cut it above division 4 to name yourself after, Dumblebore  ;D

You are a liar mate, plain and simple.  
Posted by: Mayaman, January 6, 2020, 11:59am; Reply: 23
Quoted from promotion plaice

Like it Les but I'd go with "Ollies Army"   :)

I put that in one of the messages after we won.  In hindsight Holloway, works better when sung.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 6, 2020, 12:02pm; Reply: 24
Ollie!
Ollie!
Ollie!
Ollie!
Posted by: pizzzza, January 6, 2020, 12:09pm; Reply: 25
Ollie, Ollie, Ollie!

Oink, Oink, Oink!

[youtube]MwfJY3Gm3WA[/youtube]
Posted by: rancido, January 6, 2020, 2:07pm; Reply: 26

But you are in fact agreeing with and calling me a plank in the same breath.... :-/

I don't dispute you are a Scunt fan but you are also a plank .
Posted by: Rik e B, January 6, 2020, 6:36pm; Reply: 27
That cannot be disputed  :P
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 6, 2020, 7:06pm; Reply: 28

I'm a liar mate, I'm from Grimsby really and only on here touting for friends as no one likes me, plain and simple.  

[img]https://i.imgur.com/nJJzqlb.gif[/img]

Aye no arguments from me mate, your also a dirty Scrob

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 6, 2020, 10:23pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from Marinerz93

[img]https://i.imgur.com/nJJzqlb.gif[/img]

Aye no arguments from me mate, your also a dirty Scrob

How do you know he’s a scrob? Got a Scandi friend in Scunthorpe?
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 6, 2020, 11:01pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from KingstonMariner

How do you know he’s a scrob? Got a Scandi friend in Scunthorpe?

Just the image of a scruffy dim wit that looks like Benny off crossroads and I bet he stinks to high heaven. Just like the scrob I saw drunk up on the fish market one morning, no doubt he's a scrob.
Posted by: rancido, January 7, 2020, 9:27am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Marinerz93

Just the image of a scruffy dim wit that looks like Benny off crossroads and I bet he stinks to high heaven. Just like the scrob I saw drunk up on the fish market one morning, no doubt he's a scrob.

The generally accepted use of the word "scrob", in Grimsby, was used to describe a Scandinavian ( usually Danish) fisherman. It was nothing to do with the way he was dressed or his state of sobriety.
Posted by: Rik e B, January 7, 2020, 10:32am; Reply: 32
Never heard of it.

Know the kids use 'scrub' but that a new youtuber term, as in ' you cheeky scrub' which I'm guessing means young scally
Posted by: rancido, January 7, 2020, 11:13am; Reply: 33
Quoted from Rik e B
Never heard of it.

Know the kids use 'scrub' but that a new youtuber term, as in ' you cheeky scrub' which I'm guessing means young scally

It was a common expression when there was a large number of Danish fisherman working from Grimsby. I used to go to the Mariners Club a lot in the 1960's /70's and there was one corner where a lot of Danish fisherman used to sit, to drink and play cards, and it was known as "Scrobs Corner". In fact down Nelson Street there used to be some public toilets and they carried the signs Damer and Herrer which is Danish for Ladies and Gentlemen because of the large influx of Danish fishermen
Posted by: Rik e B, January 7, 2020, 11:30am; Reply: 34
Oh I never knew about the Danish contingent, thanks, always good to hear a bit of local history. Born in '81 so before my time.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 8, 2020, 6:38pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from rancido

The generally accepted use of the word "scrob", in Grimsby, was used to describe a Scandinavian ( usually Danish) fisherman. It was nothing to do with the way he was dressed or his state of sobriety.

Never new that Rancido, I know the general term Scrob originates as you described for Scandinavian fisherman, from what I was told aimed mainly the ones who were landing our fish quotas. On the fish market on the docks one morning in the mid 80's and old boy pointed at I think it was a Faroe Islands fisherman who was dressed like Benny from cross roads stunk of BO and booze. The term Scrob as far as I knew was always derogatory as Scrob was always followed by illegitimate. This was from the Murray Street side of the fish market, which was usually where the selling started.
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 8, 2020, 7:17pm; Reply: 36
My wife is the daughter of a Danish fisherman who fished out of Grimsby,

Scrob was the term used to describe them.
Posted by: jock dock tower, January 8, 2020, 7:31pm; Reply: 37
There was also a Scrob's Corner on the docks, an area where the Scandiavian vessels would moor.
Posted by: rancido, January 8, 2020, 7:40pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from Marinerz93

Never new that Rancido, I know the general term Scrob originates as you described for Scandinavian fisherman, from what I was told aimed mainly the ones who were landing our fish quotas. On the fish market on the docks one morning in the mid 80's and old boy pointed at I think it was a Faroe Islands fisherman who was dressed like Benny from cross roads stunk of BO and booze. The term Scrob as far as I knew was always derogatory as Scrob was always followed by illegitimate. This was from the Murray Street side of the fish market, which was usually where the selling started.

I first heard the expression used in the early 60's, possibly 1963 when I went on my first "pleasure trip" and the quota system hadn't been introduced then. I don't think it was used in a derogatory way, much as we generalise saying somebody is a Geordie, Cockney or Yorkie.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 8, 2020, 7:42pm; Reply: 39
Surprising how this has dropped out of awareness with the younger generation. Scandinavians in the GY area were quite prevalent (and I don’t mean the Vikings, though Grimsby obviously started with them - not Cleethorpes.....Clee is much older 😉).

I took it for granted at the time but when I think back to surnames of kids at school to say nothing of families like the Bojens (spelling?), I realise it was quite a significant number. I was surprised when I found out that Jesse Lingard didn’t come from NE Lincs.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 8, 2020, 7:44pm; Reply: 40
PS having read one of the main theories on the derivation of the word ‘scrob’ I’d be uncomfortable using it for anyone but my mate 😃

Put it this way, the profanity checker on this site needs updating.
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 10, 2020, 5:54pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from rancido

I first heard the expression used in the early 60's, possibly 1963 when I went on my first "pleasure trip" and the quota system hadn't been introduced then. I don't think it was used in a derogatory way, much as we generalise saying somebody is a Geordie, Cockney or Yorkie.

It must have been some of the old boys who spoke that way back then, they spoke in a derogatory way and I just took it, it was that way.
Posted by: Stevie Cammack, January 10, 2020, 7:25pm; Reply: 42
Has this song been agreed on yet?
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 10, 2020, 8:10pm; Reply: 43
Anyone want to hear me sing

[youtube]tVj0ZTS4WF4[/youtube]

Nice
Posted by: futcherisagod, January 11, 2020, 11:43am; Reply: 44
Slightly borrowed but fits nicely to the lion sleeps tonight . . .

We’re the Grimsby, the mighty Grimsby and we’ve got Holloway
We’re the Grimsby, the mighty Grimsby and we’ve got Holloway

Ahhhh ooooooooooooo oooooo oooooooo Ian Holloway
Ahhhh ooooooooooooo oooooo oooooooo Ian Holloway

(optional)
We win at home, we win away
We win at home, we win away
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 3:25am