Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 28, 2019, 5:15pm
To the car, outstanding performance by all concerned thoroughly deserved the win. Special mention to Max Wright who showed what he can do when the ball is played so he can run with it, helped make two of the goals.
Posted by: Hagrid, September 28, 2019, 5:16pm; Reply: 1
Superb win. Safe trip back arry
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 28, 2019, 5:29pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from Hagrid
Superb win. Safe trip back arry

Cheers mate, I have to add I lost count of how many times Max was fouled must have run into double figures.
Posted by: wuffing, September 28, 2019, 5:43pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from arryarryarry

Cheers mate, I have to add I lost count of how many times Max was fouled must have run into double figures.

Max must have umpteen bruises every game.....defenders are shite scared of him

Posted by: Scarborough Seadog, September 28, 2019, 6:07pm; Reply: 4
We did tell you that you had a player on your hands in Max. Nobody here at Scarborough will be the least bit surprised to hear he’s doing so well for you now.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 28, 2019, 6:14pm; Reply: 5
on the train.

First goal well worked
Definitely a penalty
3rd caught them on the break.
Alround good performance.
Well worth the long journey and  expense.

Still not going to Sunderland though
Posted by: marinernige, September 28, 2019, 6:16pm; Reply: 6
Just back on the train.
A superb team performance, credit to MJ  changing the formation, Exeter must have set up to play against Hanson and Green, but then to have to play against the pace of Wright, moses rose, they couldn't handle Max all match (apart from kicking him).
Waterfall and Pollock (what a beast) outstanding.
Hess in total control in midfield.
Macca (just he's usual best)
Every player gave everything Again.
All 261 one of us, great backing (as always) safe journey home, I'm back home tomorrow, totally worth the terrible journey yesterday.
So proud to be gtfc.
Posted by: gtfckyle, September 28, 2019, 6:28pm; Reply: 7
Great game, played well. Much less hoof ball, thought Wright and Robson were class.

Pollock looks very assured too, wasn’t overly convinced by Waterfall and Rose mind. A word for Macca, made an unbelievable point blank save at 3-0.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 28, 2019, 6:39pm; Reply: 8
Saw Cooper's bus on the hard shoulder, had it broken down?
Posted by: Hagrid, September 28, 2019, 6:48pm; Reply: 9
A word on Rose, does anyone else feel he needs to show something more?
Posted by: forza ivano, September 28, 2019, 6:49pm; Reply: 10
Fabulous team performance.Great saves by Macca  waterfall and Pollack were immense.Thought Gibson was very good as we're Hess and Robson.how Hess put that performance after his efforts on Wednesday is beyond me. Best I've seen akheem play whilst they couldn't cope with max, could only foul him.Moses was his usual mix of good and bad. Think we got the run of the green, managing to hit our own bar with a clearance, plus ref not giving them a stonewalling penalty late on.also can't remember their keeper making a save yet we still scored 3.first and last were things of beauty and we managed the game brilliantly. Jolley will be very proud of them
Posted by: HertsGTFC, September 28, 2019, 7:19pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Hagrid

No he just needs game time and the odd goal.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 28, 2019, 7:29pm; Reply: 12
Akeem had a decent game today don't write the lad off and Mosses played well lets try to support the whole team.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 28, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Akeem had a decent game today don't write the lad off and Mosses played well lets try to support the whole team.

I'm lichen him. He never lets the grass grow.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, September 28, 2019, 7:30pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Absolutely Bob on..
Posted by: mimma, September 28, 2019, 7:35pm; Reply: 15
Have we found a plan B to Hanson and Green?
Posted by: Heisenberg, September 28, 2019, 7:40pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from mimma
Have we found a plan B to Hanson and Green?

Are Hanson and Green now the Plan B?!
Posted by: Rik e B, September 28, 2019, 8:07pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Hagrid

He's just a kid in his first full season really, and not had chance to really get going yet. Give him chance
Posted by: jaygy, September 28, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 18
Saw the coopers bus pulled on the hard shoulder just outside exeter and then just seen one heading past Birmingham going in the opposite direction, I hope that's not a rescue mission  as it will be past midnight before it gets there
Posted by: Kris2, September 28, 2019, 8:39pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Hagrid

He's not had that many games, spent most of his time with us so far in the youth team and reserves. Feels like people just expect young players to be instant wonder kids or they are no good. He's also had injury issues early in the season so I wouldn't expect him to walk back into the starting line up and instantly be a world beater.
Posted by: barralad, September 28, 2019, 10:29pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from jaygy
Saw the coopers bus pulled on the hard shoulder just outside exeter and then just seen one heading past Birmingham going in the opposite direction, I hope that's not a rescue mission  as it will be past midnight before it gets there

I'm not on it but they did break down and were stuck for two hours...not been a good week for them travelling wise. :o
Posted by: forza ivano, September 28, 2019, 10:58pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

My thoughts entirely
Posted by: supertown, September 28, 2019, 11:00pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from jaygy

Their busses must all be 50 yrs old !
Posted by: jaygy, September 28, 2019, 11:00pm; Reply: 23
Back home now after a rolling road block on the way home.

What a performance from every player on that pitch today! I can understand why people were unsure of MJ's selection at first but I have to say he got it right, the pace we had on the counter was incredible for the two goals that killed the game off in the second half.

Max Wright is fantastic and caused them so many problems that they just resorted to kicking him around and he has a great knack of drawing a foul. Pollock and Waterfall were excellent at the back repelling most of what was thrown at them when Exeter were piling on the pressure. So hard to pick a man of the match today but I'd give it to Robson for a wonder goal and then great composure for his second.

I was surprised when I found out there was only 261 of us there as it certainly sounded like more at times. Exeter were a very welcoming club too with loads of signs thanking us for making the long journey and the fan zone was a lovely little touch which I think our club should seriously look to do sometime soon.

Just seen that Colin Murray has chosen us for team of the day too which is a nice touch
Posted by: gtfckyle, September 28, 2019, 11:00pm; Reply: 24
Honestly must have watched a different game, thought Rose had a stinker. Don’t remember him doing anything other than that ball for Wright before the pen? All good and well, we won but think people would have a different opinion had we lost that...

Not writing him off, just acknowledging he didn’t come off great today.
Posted by: conscorner, September 28, 2019, 11:03pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from supertown

Their busses must all be 50 yrs old !

On the move again  - eta Grimsby 1.30am - thank goodness we won!
Posted by: AussieMariner, September 28, 2019, 11:40pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from conscorner

On the move again  - eta Grimsby 1.30am - thank God we won!

Bon voyage

Hope the rest of your journey home goes well

UTM
Posted by: blundellpork, September 28, 2019, 11:49pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Heisenberg

Are Hanson and Green now the Plan B?!

Much preferred today’s style of play. Without Hanson we played passing football rather than the usual hoof up field. Robson is a quality player in the middle who can retain the ball under pressure, and Wright can carry the ball. More of the same please Jolley,
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 29, 2019, 12:06am; Reply: 28
Quoted from jaygy
Back home now after a rolling road block on the way home.

What a performance from every player on that pitch today! I can understand why people were unsure of MJ's selection at first but I have to say he got it right, the pace we had on the counter was incredible for the two goals that killed the game off in the second half.

Max Wright is fantastic and caused them so many problems that they just resorted to kicking him around and he has a great knack of drawing a foul. Pollock and Waterfall were excellent at the back repelling most of what was thrown at them when Exeter were piling on the pressure. So hard to pick a man of the match today but I'd give it to Robson for a wonder goal and then great composure for his second.

I was surprised when I found out there was only 261 of us there as it certainly sounded like more at times. Exeter were a very welcoming club too with loads of signs thanking us for making the long journey and the fan zone was a lovely little touch which I think our club should seriously look to do sometime soon.

Just seen that Colin Murray has chosen us for team of the day too which is a nice touch

Those flipping Mind badges don’t stay upright! Pins below the centre of gravity.

If we think we have problems because of our location, Exeter must be at least as bad. Maybe Plymouth is a bit worse. So they’ve worked hard to make it attractive. Also owned by the fans - many hands make light work.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 29, 2019, 12:22am; Reply: 29
The team today had skill, pace,  youth, energy and quality.  Just the qualities to give Chelsea something to think about.  Even though we would have lost anyway.

Great response today.  Such character.  We could not have had a harder match, and after less than 3 days.  A very long journey as well.

If Max Wright had the football intelligence to draw fouls, and be a marked man, then he is already preparing for playing at a higher level.  This his first league 90 mins?  An exciting player.

The whole team did well.  Well done Michael Jolley for playing a team that fans want to see.

How come we did not concede the first goal?

I see that Chelsea won easily today with 5 outfield players on the pitch that played against us.  Also, that Lampard publicity had a go at Hudson-Ooi for not working hard enough against us.  To quote Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, “I thought for a minute we were in trouble there” 😏
Posted by: BackHeelTony, September 29, 2019, 12:34am; Reply: 30
Very interesting to hear in Jolley's post match interview that he prioritised today's game over the Chelsea game this week and this was reflected in his team selection.

He mentioned he's had it in mind for a while to go for pace up front against Exeter, as he thought they'd struggle to cope.

Hats off to a top gaffer
Posted by: Malta_Mariner_90, September 29, 2019, 5:39am; Reply: 31
Quoted from BackHeelTony
Very interesting to hear in Jolley's post match interview that he prioritised today's game over the Chelsea game this week and this was reflected in his team selection.

Well he would say that after a 7-1 defeat wouldn't he  ;)

Seriously though now he was given himself a very big decision for the next game against Mansfield. Stick or twist. Not sure at this stage he is ready to tear up his original plans at the start of the season using Hanson and Green as the main forwards.

I guess we will find out next weekend.

UTM.

Posted by: lukeo, September 29, 2019, 7:30am; Reply: 32
Didn't go to the game yesterday but from what I've seen i personally would stick with the same style and formation but have green and hanson on for Ogbu and Rose
Posted by: gtfckyle, September 29, 2019, 7:36am; Reply: 33
Quoted from lukeo
Didn't go to the game yesterday but from what I've seen i personally would stick with the same style and formation but have green and hanson on for Ogbu and Rose

Same, thought Hanson showed he can play that style when he came on. Was running the channels, holding it up, little lay offs and still won plenty of headers when he had too. Not the same pace as Mosses but better all rounder.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, September 29, 2019, 7:50am; Reply: 34
What is great is M.J. now as a PLAN B That as just beaten the best team in the division with some ease on their own patch.

The bloody pace to kill most teams off we certainly are looking a complete squad now.

We are in a great position in the league although Max Wright is fast becoming a rising star Akheem has the same pace if not more and skill if he gets a good run will prove it.

Cookie had a good game yesterday and Ogbu was on form even Whithouse pushed up with Hanson second half..

Last home game when Whitehouse was taken off the lad was fuming good to see such passion, he missed a full season last year and clearly relishes every minute on the field.

Add to that  the excellent Green we seem to have plenty of options up front and Vernon who I think is quality is finding it hard even to get in Midfield.

Great problems to have for M.J. and co. job now is to keep everyone happy lol.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 29, 2019, 8:53am; Reply: 35
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
What is great is M.J. now as a PLAN B That as just beaten the best team in the division with some ease on their own patch.

The bloody pace to kill most teams off we certainly are looking a complete squad now.

We are in a great position in the league although Max Wright is fast becoming a rising star Akheem has the same pace if not more and skill if he gets a good run will prove it.

Cookie had a good game yesterday and Ogbu was on form even Whithouse pushed up with Hanson second half..

Last home game when Whitehouse was taken off the lad was fuming good to see such passion, he missed a full season last year and clearly relishes every minute on the field.

Add to that  the excellent Green we seem to have plenty of options up front and Vernon who I think is quality is finding it hard even to get in Midfield.

We’ve got options to radically change the plan from game to game. That’s definitely progress. The trick is knowing which will work best against which team. The next stage of development will be to have a match day squad which is capable of changing the approach in a game.
Posted by: monkeyboy, September 29, 2019, 10:59am; Reply: 36
Best change he made was Robson in place of Whitehouse. really helped the football we played as he kept the ball and used it well.
Posted by: rancido, September 29, 2019, 11:04am; Reply: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Those flipping Mind badges don’t stay upright! Pins below the centre of gravity.

If we think we have problems because of our location, Exeter must be at least as bad. Maybe Plymouth is a bit worse. So they’ve worked hard to make it attractive. Also owned by the fans - many hands make light work.

Did they have floodlight problems? ;)
Posted by: rancido, September 29, 2019, 11:14am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

MJ is still learning his craft and each game will give him a better insight on how individuals perform in match conditions and in varying positions. Football is very much a squad game especially when you have a small squad and at League 2 level. I'm sure that once MJ finds the best playing positions to counteract  the opposition then we could easily see several plans accordingly. It's very comforting to have the likes of Hanson on the bench ( not that he isn't good enough to start ) so we can add a different dimension to our play as opposed to bringing on a like-for-like substitution.
Posted by: mimma, September 29, 2019, 1:10pm; Reply: 39
We've been saying for a while now how teams have seen us play and set up accordingly to counter Hanson and Green.

Now we suddenly have a completely different style of playing.

Opposition managers don't know which style we are going with so will have to edge their bets when trying to outguess Jolley.
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, September 29, 2019, 1:18pm; Reply: 40
Mattie Pollock was 18 yesterday, according to the records.  A great way to celebrate a full 90 mins in league game and an impressive win.  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 29, 2019, 3:26pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from rancido

[/b]

Did they have floodlight problems? ;)

Yep. They have an app which buzzes Trust members' phones and switches on the torch for them to hold up.
Posted by: hheh2, September 29, 2019, 3:59pm; Reply: 42
Credit for Jolley here 3pts against a strong Exeter away after making bank at the Bridge  :)
Posted by: acko338, September 29, 2019, 7:06pm; Reply: 43
Long season ahead, lots of travel this week, chasing tails for most of the Chelsea 2nd half, no wonder that Jolley picked some fresh fast legs on for Saturday to surprise Exeter.

That plan worked along with football on the floor. Hanson can still play to feet, but not for 90 minutes straight after a game against many internationals or younger players.

Good choices, good tactics, and a great result !!

Up the Mariners - onwards and upwards !
Posted by: forza ivano, September 29, 2019, 8:33pm; Reply: 44
Just back from a very nice weekend. Anyone visiting that neck of the woods i would recommend Beer and Branscombe, lovely area, although I thought £12.50for a crab sandwich in The Masons Arms at Branscombe was a bit on the steel side!
Posted by: Mallyner, September 29, 2019, 8:37pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from forza ivano
Just back from a very nice weekend. Anyone visiting that neck of the woods i would recommend Beer and Branscombe, lovely area, although I thought £12.50for a crab sandwich in The Masons Arms at Branscombe was a bit on the steel side!

Are you still typing on the carp Amazon Fire like I am? :)
Posted by: Bigdog, September 29, 2019, 9:30pm; Reply: 46
https://twitter.com/OfficialECFC/status/1178342483807395840
Posted by: forza ivano, September 29, 2019, 9:48pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Mallyner

Are you still typing on the carp Amazon Fire like I am? :)

Lol.I've been found out!
Posted by: Rik e B, September 29, 2019, 9:58pm; Reply: 48
Nice, but that edit makes it look like we got absolutely mullered other than a handful of chances of which we scored three...

Robsons goal looks even classier at that angle.

Im surprised there were any pies left in the kiosk with that ref in town!
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 29, 2019, 10:42pm; Reply: 49
Someone should suggest to the camerman that he sets the camera focus to infiniti to stop the blurring when someone moves in front of the camera.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 29, 2019, 11:38pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from Rik e B
Nice, but that edit makes it look like we got absolutely mullered other than a handful of chances of which we scored three...

Robsons goal looks even classier at that angle.

Im surprised there were any pies left in the kiosk with that ref in town!

I see what you mean about the ref. Thank god it wasn't the lino or that video would be 10 minutes of his back.
Posted by: fishboyUTM, September 30, 2019, 7:25am; Reply: 51
Quoted from Hagrid

I'm not sure why you were red crossed there. It seems any kind of criticism isn't welcome.

Yes, he definitely needs to show more for me. He has blistering pace, which he didn't really use on Saturday despite several opportunities to open up. I wonder if he has faith in his own hamstrings.

Aside from his pace, and to be fair his 100 percent effort, he has a lot of developing to do IMO and he doesn't look ready for the first team IMO.
Posted by: Oly1987, September 30, 2019, 9:10am; Reply: 52
think it's worth mentioning that Rose is only 20, even though it feels like he's been at the club for a while. The club must have faith in him seeing as I believe he's been here for 2 years now and didnt we help to sort out his work permit? I wouldnt blame him for being a little tentative about opening up his explosive speed after a couple of hamstring injuries have hampered his game time and probably wants to make sure he's on the pitch rather than the treatment table. I'm sure we will see his best in time.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, September 30, 2019, 9:11am; Reply: 53
MJ doesn't have a set 11 to play.
He picks his team, based on who we are playing.

If the opposition have pacey defenders, expect to see Hanson.

If they have big slow players, Saturday's team is perfect.

They would of trained all week to deal with Hanson, and his flick on... then he doesn't play.

Cook, Robson, Hess have to be the middle 3, all very very good players.

BIG shout to Ogbu who seem's to have a great game, in his preferred position in the middle, love it!
Posted by: Hagrid, September 30, 2019, 11:08am; Reply: 54
Quoted from fishboyUTM

I'm not sure why you were red crossed there. It seems any kind of criticism isn't welcome.

Yes, he definitely needs to show more for me. He has blistering pace, which he didn't really use on Saturday despite several opportunities to open up. I wonder if he has faith in his own hamstrings.

Aside from his pace, and to be fair his 100 percent effort, he has a lot of developing to do IMO and he doesn't look ready for the first team IMO.

Exactly that mate, I just feel he needs to show a bit more, its not having a go at the lad
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 2, 2019, 4:18pm; Reply: 55
Anybody spot any inflatables in the away end, even a blow up fish that could be used as an offensive weapon?
Speaking to one of the Exeter staff, their away stand was formerly the away end at Barnet.
They were given it as long as they paid for collecting it and also agreed to pay a fee of £1.00 per paying visiting supporter.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 2, 2019, 11:56pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from arryarryarry
Anybody spot any inflatables in the away end, even a blow up fish that could be used as an offensive weapon?
Speaking to one of the Exeter staff, their away stand was formerly the away end at Barnet.
They were given it as long as they paid for collecting it and also agreed to pay a fee of £1.00 per paying visiting supporter.

For how many years?
Posted by: arryarryarry, October 3, 2019, 2:32am; Reply: 57
Quoted from KingstonMariner

For how many years?

He didn't say :D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, October 3, 2019, 8:57pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from arryarryarry

He didn't say :D

Just wondering if it was a good deal for Barnet or not. They could've got scrap value for it I suppose, but there'd be dismantling costs too.

So getting someone to take it and give them at a guess £6000* a year.

* our 260 (assuming it's average away following there) x 20 = £5200 plus a bit
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 8:54am