Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 14, 2018, 2:08pm

I would have gone but I'm away at the moment, wouldn't have minded seeing inside the boardroom where all the major decisions are made  8)

"Grimsby Town and Mariners Trust are running an exhibition for GTFC 140 at Blundell Park this Sunday, September 16, from 10.30am to 2.30pm."

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/september/gtfc-140-exhibition-at-blundell-park-on-sunday/
Posted by: moosey_club, September 14, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 1

I may have missed other pre announcements so apologies for raising the question ......

This Sunday !!   Is that as much notice as we get ?

Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2018, 6:23pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from moosey_club

I may have missed other pre announcements so apologies for raising the question ......

I don't do twitter but I'm assured it's been on there over the last couple of weeks and it was in the newsletter published by The Trust on 31 August. I hope you (and loads of others) will be able to make it. There are some great memories in that 140 years. The office corridor which now has a magnificent collection of old Town shirts decorating it is worth a visit on its own. There are story boards telling the history and loads of memorabilia to look at along with DVDs playing of some of the magic moments.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 14, 2018, 6:54pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from moosey_club

It's been 140 years in the making - can't rush these things.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, September 14, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 4
Well if we are celebrating the 140th anniversary that is a wonderful incentive to make sure a real milestone, the 150th, is the best, the most incredible, supersonic and out of this world celebration.

The journey starts here. The next 10 years are going to sweep the last 17 or so years into the dustbin of history; we are going to do a Bournemouth, a Hull City, a Swansea, a Brighton and a Burnley and make our way to the Premier League. The first promotion brings a clamour for the new stadium at Freeman Street which in turn allows 10,000 season ticket holders roar us into the Championship. Then there is a hiatus; a little pause whilst we gather breath before a final tumultuous ascent to the summit of the Championship, and a return to the top flight of English football since 1946 (?)

If John Fenty can mastermind this then even I, his greatest critic will accept he hasn't done a bad job after all.

I hope Oldham know what is about to hit 'em.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, September 14, 2018, 9:11pm; Reply: 5
Loaned the trust alot of my old GTFC memorabilia for the exhibition.

Also on the 20th September the Wellington Arms Freeman St (were it all started) are celebrating 140 years of GTFC.

Cannot wait to have a look what the trust and the Wellington Arms have done.

UTM
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 14, 2018, 9:12pm; Reply: 6
Well if we are celebrating the 140th anniversary that is a wonderful incentive to make sure a real milestone, the 150th, is the best, the most incredible, supersonic and out of this world celebration.

The journey starts here. The next 10 years are going to sweep the last 17 or so years into the dustbin of history; we are going to do a Bournemouth, a Hull City, a Swansea, a Brighton and a Burnley and make our way to the Premier League. The first promotion brings a clamour for the new stadium at Freeman Street which in turn allows 10,000 season ticket holders roar us into the Championship. Then there is a hiatus; a little pause whilst we gather breath before a final tumultuous ascent to the summit of the Championship, and a return to the top flight of English football since 1946 (?)

If John Fenty can mastermind this then even I, his greatest critic will accept e hasn't done a bad job after all.

I hope Oldham know what is about to hit 'em.

The first club in history to reach the Premiership with most of the squad on £800 a week   :)

Posted by: LH, September 14, 2018, 9:25pm; Reply: 7
Anything special planned for the home game nearest the anniversary - i.e. tomorrow?
Posted by: promotion plaice, September 14, 2018, 9:41pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from LH
Anything special planned for the home game nearest the anniversary - i.e. tomorrow?

A win    8)

Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 14, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 9
I remember the centenary. I was dating a really nice girl who was a season ticket holder. Scary to think that it's 40 years since I was trying to get into her knickers. (And no Fishyfanny, I don't mean trying to wear them  :P ).
Posted by: barralad, September 14, 2018, 10:14pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from LH

Not that I'm aware of mate.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 15, 2018, 12:04am; Reply: 11
Quoted from barralad

I don't do twitter but I'm assured it's been on there over the last couple of weeks and it was in the newsletter published by The Trust on 31 August. I hope you (and loads of others) will be able to make it. There are some great memories in that 140 years. The office corridor which now has a magnificent collection of old Town shirts decorating it is worth a visit on its own. There are story boards telling the history and loads of memorabilia to look at along with DVDs playing of some of the magic moments.

well...being "old" i dont tweet...but like the sound of whats on offer...playing Sunday League so wont be available til 13:00...will possibly call in on my way home ....

but for something 139 yrs in the planning , a little over 48 hrs seems a tad short notice.
Posted by: The Yard Dog, September 16, 2018, 3:14pm; Reply: 12
Had a good morning/afternoon looking around the 140 year exhibition in the trust bar.

Well done Dave, Ian, Sharon and ALL the other people who helped to bring this together.

When you look at stuff, you then realise why GTFC is a very special club.

UTM
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 16, 2018, 3:34pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Had a good morning/afternoon looking around the 140 year exhibition in the trust bar.

Well done Dave, Ian, Sharon and ALL the other people who helped to bring this together.

When you look at stuff, you then realise why GTFC is a very special club.

UTM

It just doesn't feel very special at present. It feels like we were John Fenty's favourite Christmas present for a little while but he's now put us at the bottom of his toybox at the back of the wardrobe in the spare bedroom.
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 16, 2018, 3:35pm; Reply: 14
Shame it wasn’t advertised more, didn’t know about it until Friday, already had plans by then.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 16, 2018, 3:39pm; Reply: 15
managed to get in and see the exhibition today, some old news clippings and telegraph match reports bringing back some memories.

One thing that did make me chuckle when in the directors suite...the directors have their photographs on the wall...

would anyone care to guess whose was the only photo with a name plate on ?  :)
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 16, 2018, 3:43pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from moosey_club
managed to get in and see the exhibition today, some old news clippings and telegraph match reports bringing back some memories.

One thing that did make me chuckle when in the directors suite...the directors have their photographs on the wall...

would anyone care to guess whose was the only photo with a name plate on ?  :)

I guess it isn't Mr 'Shut up'  :-/
Posted by: Bigdog, September 16, 2018, 3:53pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from barralad

Never received one Barra..
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 16, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from KingstonMariner
I remember the centenary. I was dating a really nice girl who was a season ticket holder. Scary to think that it's 40 years since I was trying to get into her knickers. (And no Fishyfanny, I don't mean trying to wear them  :P ).

Forty years ago was when I started going out with my wife,

AND

She still is my wife.(wub2)
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 16, 2018, 4:01pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

The blue lacey ones or the white french ones  ;)
Posted by: Perkins, September 16, 2018, 4:29pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from The Yard Dog
Loaned the trust alot of my old GTFC memorabilia for the exhibition.

Also on the 20th September the Wellington Arms Freeman St (were it all started) are celebrating 140 years of GTFC.

Cannot wait to have a look what the trust and the Wellington Arms have done.

UTM

I loaned out some of my memorabilia for a town exhibition at BP a few years ago, never got them back. Hope you have better luck .

Posted by: Cloudy, September 16, 2018, 6:48pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from Bigdog

Never received one Barra..

I have to say I haven’t received any Trust newsletters for quite some time, just thought they had ceased when Bax stood down
Posted by: barralad, September 16, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Cloudy

I have to say I haven’t received any Trust newsletters for quite some time, just thought they had ceased when Bax stood down

I'm well aware that what I'm going to say now will sound like an excuse but we are experiencing serious problems with our e-mails because of the introduction in May of those new rules regarding data protection. Under those rules people had to opt in and sadly, for whatever reason an awful lot of our members didn't. Add to that the fact that we suspect we do not hold up to date e-mail addresses for people and the situation isn't great. We are very much aware communication is a weakness and the decision was taken yesterday to establish where we stand legally. In the meantime we have tried to reach people by putting the newsletters on the website.
I suspect we are not alone with problems related to these new laws and hopefully there will by now be some guidance out there. Data protection is a really serious business and we have to get it right.
It may be that both you and Bigdog replied positively to the e-mail and it is probably the case that active members like you have updated us with the correct info. if needed. Our e-mail system was introduced by people no longer involved with the Trust and we are somewhat lacking in full understanding of all of its workings. It is an area where we are very aware that we need the help of someone who is really I.T. savvy with the time to devote to a vitally important role.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, September 16, 2018, 7:55pm; Reply: 23
Can't you just make it that people have to opt out? I have opted into nothing since GDPR but I still get a lot of emails.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 16, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 24
I'm still receiving emails; got one on Friday in fact, with info on the exhibition. Unfortunately, i had made other plans for today, so was unable to attend. Like others, i knew nothing of this display until 2 days ago.
Posted by: barralad, September 16, 2018, 8:08pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Can't you just make it that people have to opt out? I have opted into nothing since GDPR but I still get a lot of emails.

Dunno mate. The guidance we got said that people had to opt in. That came from the official government produced guidance.
Posted by: Cloudy, September 16, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from barralad

I'm well aware that what I'm going to say now will sound like an excuse but we are experiencing serious problems with our e-mails because of the introduction in May of those new rules regarding data protection. Under those rules people had to opt in and sadly, for whatever reason an awful lot of our members didn't. Add to that the fact that we suspect we do not hold up to date e-mail addresses for people and the situation isn't great. We are very much aware communication is a weakness and the decision was taken yesterday to establish where we stand legally. In the meantime we have tried to reach people by putting the newsletters on the website.
I suspect we are not alone with problems related to these new laws and hopefully there will by now be some guidance out there. Data protection is a really serious business and we have to get it right.
It may be that both you and Bigdog replied positively to the e-mail and it is probably the case that active members like you have updated us with the correct info. if needed. Our e-mail system was introduced by people no longer involved with the Trust and we are somewhat lacking in full understanding of all of its workings. It is an area where we are very aware that we need the help of someone who is really I.T. savvy with the time to devote to a vitally important role.

Thanks. I cannot assist anyone with technology so good luck
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 16, 2018, 11:16pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from Marinerz93

The blue lacey ones or the white french ones  ;)

She was a very good girl. I never got a glimpse.
Print page generated: May 26, 2024, 8:55am