Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 19, 2018, 11:54pm
Anyone else not going on principle, or is it just me?
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 19, 2018, 11:55pm; Reply: 1
It's one of the grounds not ticked off and chances are it never will be!
Posted by: forza ivano, August 19, 2018, 11:57pm; Reply: 2
Live about 15 miles away and have winkelmans daughter as a neighbour.Could even get a free ticket but I won't cross the threshold.wont even run the mk10k or mk half marathon as they end in the stadium. As my mate butty, Luton fan and mammoth mk hater says, once you cross the threshold you acknowledge their existence. Didcot v aufc for me
Posted by: ginnywings, August 20, 2018, 12:24am; Reply: 3
Quoted from forza ivano
Live about 15 miles away and have winkelmans daughter as a neighbour.Could even get a free ticket but I won't cross the threshold.wont even run the mk10k or mk half marathon as they end in the stadium. As my mate butty, Luton fan and mammoth mk hater says, once you cross the threshold you acknowledge their existence. Didcot v aufc for me

Kudos from me.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, August 20, 2018, 12:41am; Reply: 4
Don't get this not going on principle thing at all. Its a league game and you go to support your team does it matter where or what history that club has? Its all about cheering on the mariners in a league game. I'm not acknowledging there existence I'm going to support my team and help them come back with 3 points. The more go and cheer our team on the better chance we have of getting the points. intercourse Mk Franchises history for a second and think about the bigger picture of our club. If you can physically go then go intercourse principle its league game FFS. UTM
Posted by: Skrill, August 20, 2018, 12:42am; Reply: 5
Revenge for 2008 perhaps?  ;)
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 20, 2018, 8:43am; Reply: 6
As a Southern Exile, I only get the chance to get to about 5 - 10 games a year, so I am going. My love for Town is greater than my hatred for MK Dons.
Posted by: Wrawby_Mariner, August 20, 2018, 8:50am; Reply: 7
I was apprehensive about going but work is paying me to watch town. I cannae complain
Posted by: Garth, August 20, 2018, 8:56am; Reply: 8
What good are principles in modern day football, sticking to the straight and narrow, look where its got us, MK have more money than us, always will have they won't miss our money but our team will miss our support, no set of supporters are talking about boycotting Stevenage in support of Grimsby are they, wake up and smell the coffee
Posted by: buckstown, August 20, 2018, 9:08am; Reply: 9
I'm going because it would seem hugely disloyal to GTFC if I didn't travel 45 minutes to support them when I have nothing else on. My attendance will not signal any reduction in my dislike of MK Dons
Posted by: LH, August 20, 2018, 9:46am; Reply: 10
If you buy the match pass for iFollow do they get the money or do Town?
Posted by: MarinerGaz, August 20, 2018, 9:51am; Reply: 11
Good on those that stay away on principal, but also worth thinking about...if no/few away fans visit their place their 12th man isn't cancelled out and they could get a relatively large advantage for half the games during the season, possibly enough to propel them towards promotion where they may not have otherwise. There may be a financial impact of having fewer fans (not sure how relevant), but again this might be cancelled out (or inverted) by increased home gates if they are higher up the league as a result. There's still a statement to be made though, to those that care and also ones self.
Posted by: A.l.f., August 20, 2018, 11:09am; Reply: 12
I'm going as i want to support my team.  Don't agree with what's happened with the Wimbledon/MK Dons thing but first and foremost I'm a Grimsby Town Supporter.
If us fans can give our players that extra lift its worth it.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 20, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 13
Quoted from A.l.f.
I'm going as i want to support my team.  Don't agree with what's happened with the Wimbledon/MK Dons thing but first and foremost I'm a Grimsby Town Supporter.
If us fans can give our players that extra lift its worth it.

Agree. Would hope that those that do go and support the club get their drinks and food from outside the ground outlets rather than putting more cash into MKD coffers!
Posted by: brigg_mariner, August 20, 2018, 12:06pm; Reply: 14
As TheRealJohnLewis said.

My love for Town is greater than my hatred for MK Dons.

So, I will be there to support the team.

If you live local and don't go then I believe that you are cutting your nose off to spite your face, it is not right what MK Dons did but supporting GTFC comes first.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, August 20, 2018, 12:24pm; Reply: 15
McKeown
Davis Whitmore Famewo Hendrie
Hessenthaler Welsh Clifton
Woolford Cook Hooper

Unsure if Hendrie is right or left footed so Famewo might go left back with Davis moving central and Hendrie on the right.

I expect Thomas to be given 20 minutes from the bench.
Posted by: psgmariner, August 20, 2018, 12:28pm; Reply: 16
I plan to watch on i-follow. Only other time Ihave used it was on my phone whilst abroad. I really want to watch it on a TV rather than a phone. I have a smart tv and a firestick - will this be possible?
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 20, 2018, 12:38pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from jamesgtfc
McKeown
Davis Whitmore Famewo Hendrie
Hessenthaler Welsh Clifton
Woolford Cook Hooper

Unsure if Hendrie is right or left footed so Famewo might go left back with Davis moving central and Hendrie on the right.

I expect Thomas to be given 20 minutes from the bench.

Bud, wrong thread me old mucker...
Posted by: MarinerMal, August 20, 2018, 12:40pm; Reply: 18
I can't stand the fact they stole somebody's football club and got away with it.

They are the club I despise more than any other.

There is not much I can do about their existence but I refuse to do anything that could put any of my money in their coffers.

However, it's a personal choice. I wouldn't tell anyone else they shouldn't go. As for acknowledging they exist if you go, I believe enough Town fans already did that at Wembley 2008.
Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 20, 2018, 12:43pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from psgmariner
I plan to watch on i-follow. Only other time Ihave used it was on my phone whilst abroad. I really want to watch it on a TV rather than a phone. I have a smart tv and a firestick - will this be possible?

It should be.  I also have a smart TV and a firestick, and I checked it out last week, so I'll be watching live tomorrow night too, that is if iFollow don't mess things up!

Posted by: 123614 (Guest), August 20, 2018, 12:53pm; Reply: 20
Well, evidently I was wrong, I just phoned iFollow on +44 207 826 4577 and they told me that it will not be available on smart TV's.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 20, 2018, 12:53pm; Reply: 21
Merton Borough council are as much to blame if not more than anyone for the demise of Wimbledon F.C. . If they had backed their 1st division club and allowed them to relocate in the borough rather than force them out for years and basically bankrupt the club the whole MK thing wouldn’t even have happened.
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, August 20, 2018, 12:54pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Merton Borough council are as much to blame if not more than anyone for the demise of Wimbledon F.C. . If they had backed their 1st division club and allowed them to relocate in the borough rather than force them out for years and basically bankrupt the club the whole MK thing wouldn’t even have happened.

Unfortunately our council may do the same to gtfc in the end
Posted by: realist, August 20, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from MarinerMal
I can't stand the fact they stole somebody's football club and got away with it.

They are the club I despise more than any other.

There is not much I can do about their existence but I refuse to do anything that could put any of my money in their coffers.

However, it's a personal choice. I wouldn't tell anyone else they shouldn't go. As for acknowledging they exist if you go, I believe enough Town fans already did that at Wembley 2008.

Did they steal or step in at the last minute and save the club?  Either way its a long time ago, time to move on. I am working close by this week so looking  forward to going
Posted by: MarinerMal, August 20, 2018, 1:11pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from realist

Did they steal or step in at the last minute and save the club?  Either way its a long time ago, time to move on. I am working close by this week so looking  forward to going

Stole 100%. They didn't "save" the football club at all, they just took their place in the Football League.

If a football club hits financial ruin, then they go out  of existence and their place is filled via promotion and relegation through the Football League and ultimately someone from the National League will step in to the vacated Football League slot the next season.

For my money, MK Dons should announce they are reforming, start at the bottom of the Football League pyramid from next season and work their way back into the Football League.

Only then will I acknowledge them as a proper Football Club rather than a club that should be flying the skull and crossbones over their stadium.

But that is just my opinion and I'm not telling you or anyone else that they should agree with me or not.
Posted by: lee65, August 20, 2018, 1:21pm; Reply: 25
I am in the area with work, so looking forward to it.  I believe you can just roll up and buy a ticket?
Hope to see something of Thomas and Hendrie, and also how we fare against another one of the "money" clubs
Posted by: Cloudy, August 20, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 26
There was a club in MK at the time they moved Wimbledon to the city. That club was put out of business!

Totally and utterley against everything MKD stand for. Support this and who is to say in 15 years time that Grimsby Town could not be moved to Cornwall to give them a FL club.

No problem with individuals going to support Town, I cannot make it myself, but that doesnt mean to say we are in favour of their creation and feel all football fans should unite to ensure it never ever happens again
Posted by: realist, August 20, 2018, 2:57pm; Reply: 27
Moving to Cornwall may be the answer to the new ground problem ;D

Just read up a bit more and I suppose they should have been treated like Glasgow rangers even though they weren't forced completely out of the league.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 20, 2018, 3:14pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Cloudy
There was a club in MK at the time they moved Wimbledon to the city. That club was put out of business!

Totally and utterley against everything MKD stand for. Support this and who is to say in 15 years time that Grimsby Town could not be moved to Cornwall to give them a FL club.

No problem with individuals going to support Town, I cannot make it myself, but that doesnt mean to say we are in favour of their creation and feel all football fans should unite to ensure it never ever happens again

Complete agree with Cloudy, Winkleman should have got involved with the existing MK club,and worked there way up through the league, instead of buying a league position.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 20, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 29
The Football league and the FA are the ones to blame in my eyes should never have let it happen.
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 20, 2018, 3:22pm; Reply: 30
I'm working until 6pm tomorrow, so won't be putting any money in the thieves pockets.
Posted by: realist, August 20, 2018, 4:02pm; Reply: 31
The football league and the FA were against it. It went to arbitration and the league lost
Posted by: Teesknees, August 20, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from 123614
Well, evidently I was wrong, I just phoned iFollow on +44 207 826 4577 and they told me that it will not be available on smart TV's.

What's to stop me having it on my laptop and plugging in an HDMI into it and watching it on my TV?

Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 20, 2018, 4:12pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Teesknees

What's to stop me having it on my laptop and plugging in an HDMI into it and watching it on my TV?

Nothing

Posted by: Grimal, August 20, 2018, 4:41pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ginnywings

Kudos from me.

Ginny, can you send me some Kudos, I'm not going either. ;)

Posted by: arryarryarry, August 20, 2018, 5:19pm; Reply: 35
I'm going to support GTFC.
Posted by: Posh Harry, August 20, 2018, 5:31pm; Reply: 36
I live an hour away but am not going to put money in franchise scum pockets.

Oh, I am also in France (sorry Dirty France, lovely country but full of the f8cking French) so that makes it a tad more difficult.

UTFM
Posted by: ginnywings, August 20, 2018, 5:42pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Grimal

Ginny, can you send me some Kudos, I'm not going either. ;)

Ok, gave you a tick.

As others have said, it's down to the individual and i respect both stances. I stopped going to away games a while back but had i still been doing them, i would have given this one a swerve.
Posted by: Tommy, August 20, 2018, 6:37pm; Reply: 38
Quoted from psgmariner

I'm planning to watch it on my TV through my firestick.

Download an internet browser onto the Firestick (Silk or Firefox).
Then just use the browser to go on the OS, log in and watch it as tou would if you were on a computer. I can't see any reason that wouldn't work.
Posted by: Tommy, August 20, 2018, 6:51pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Tommy

I'm planning to watch it on my TV through my firestick.

Download an internet browser onto the Firestick (Silk or Firefox).
Then just use the browser to go on the OS, log in and watch it as tou would if you were on a computer. I can't see any reason that wouldn't work.

Actually, scrap the above. Just read some ifollow info that says "live matches and full match replays will be unavailable on iOS and Android mobile/tablet devices via a browser. Please download the app."

So you'll need the GTFC ifollow app on your firestick I think.
Posted by: Gaffer58, August 20, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 40
All this technical jargon is completely over my head, probably why I'm still whatching an old Rediffusion black and white telly, plus point is that I don't have to buy a TV license.
Posted by: RoboCod, August 20, 2018, 8:37pm; Reply: 41
Quoted from Gaffer58
All this technical jargon is completely over my head, probably why I'm still whatching an old Rediffusion black and white telly, plus point is that I don't have to buy a TV license.

Ceefax page 303 forever!  :) ::)
Posted by: RoboCod, August 20, 2018, 8:39pm; Reply: 42
and 302 (blushing)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 20, 2018, 9:05pm; Reply: 43
If there are exiles or local fans down south to not go just because you dont like MK dons is wrong imo, if you can make it then do it as the support for Grimsby town is stronger than your hatred for MK dons.

Anyone who can make it put the feelings aside and turn up for the lads.
Posted by: Abdul19, August 20, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 44
Agree with the love for GTFC being greater than a hatred of MK. Going doesn't mean you agree with their formation, after all, over 700 Wimbledon fans went last season.
Posted by: conscorner, August 20, 2018, 9:16pm; Reply: 45
I will be attending, hoping the Mariners will take 3 points back to Grimsby . So pleased to see AFC Wimbledon playing at a higher level than MK. Would love to see the tables fully turned and MK fall out of the league.

This will be ground No. 124 where I have seen the Mariners play .

Come on Town!!!
Posted by: ginnywings, August 20, 2018, 9:19pm; Reply: 46
GTFC isn't listed as one of the games being broadcast, so i assume those saying they are watching will be using a VPN?
Posted by: Tommy, August 20, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 47
It is being broadcast ginny. Club tweeted this earlier today:

https://twitter.com/officialgtfc/status/1031546674416689152?s=19
Posted by: ginnywings, August 20, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 48
I stand corrected. Looked at the listings earlier and we weren't in it. Cheers Tommy.
Posted by: Teesknees, August 20, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 49
Does anyone know how I would get the £10 ifollow thing onto my laptop please thank you.

I've bought it and the app wont load tells me "You don't have any devices"

I'm a bit of a Luddite and I'm not as smart as my Smart TV!

It;s saying something about Google Play... it's been a while since I played with my Google!

Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2018, 9:37pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from jonnyboy82
If there are exiles or local fans down south to not go just because you dont like MK dons is wrong imo, if you can make it then do it as the support for Grimsby town is stronger than your hatred for MK dons.

Anyone who can make it put the feelings aside and turn up for the lads.

Why is it wrong to stick by your principles? Surely it's the other way round. Some things are more important than a selfish wish to see Town. Besides, in the bigger picture, it's about not putting money in their pockets. Same principle as the Checkatrade. Is that going to be acceptable because 'our love of Town is greater than hatred of Under 23 teams'?

Besides, it's not a hatred of MK Dons. It's a love for the principle of promotion and relegation on merit. If those who support and back MK Dons wanted to promote football in MK they could have got behind the incumbent football club there instead of killing it by setting up this big cuckoo. Instead the whole thing was motivated by the wish for instant gratification and sodomist the consequences for anyone else.
Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, August 20, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Teesknees
Does anyone know how I would get the £10 ifollow thing onto my laptop please thank you.

I've bought it and the app wont load tells me "You don't have any devices"

I'm a bit of a Luddite and I'm not as smart as my Smart TV!

It;s saying something about Google Play... it's been a while since I played with my Google!

Just log onto the GTFC website and there's a link on the first page for IFollow, no apps needed for laptop.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/

Posted by: BraStrap, August 20, 2018, 9:50pm; Reply: 52
Arsenal once played in Woolwich so I refuse to go there  ;)
Posted by: Teesknees, August 20, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis

Just log onto the GTFC website and there's a link on the first page for IFollow, no apps needed for laptop.

https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/

Thank you Mr Lewis, that's saved me hours or sweating,, will now go back to watching U Prawn!
Posted by: Teesknees, August 20, 2018, 9:59pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from BraStrap

And I refuse to go to any country once inhabited by Vikings for what they did to our country..... the bas tards.. I'll never forgive them!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, August 20, 2018, 10:03pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Why is it wrong to stick by your principles? Surely it's the other way round. Some things are more important than a selfish wish to see Town. Besides, in the bigger picture, it's about not putting money in their pockets. Same principle as the Checkatrade. Is that going to be acceptable because 'our love of Town is greater than hatred of Under 23 teams'?

Besides, it's not a hatred of MK Dons. It's a love for the principle of promotion and relegation on merit. If those who support and back MK Dons wanted to promote football in MK they could have got behind the incumbent football club there instead of killing it by setting up this big cuckoo. Instead the whole thing was motivated by the wish for instant gratification and sodomist the consequences for anyone else.

You support GTFC not the protest against MK dons.
Posted by: marinernige, August 20, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 56
I don't give a sh@t about MK , the only reason i'm going tomorrow is MY team are playing there . UTM
Posted by: marinernige, August 20, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Les Brechin
I'm working until 6pm tomorrow, so won't be putting any money in the thieves pockets.

So if you wasn't working , you'd be going ?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from jonnyboy82

You support GTFC not the protest against MK dons.

I support GTFC. I dislike franchising football. The two are not incompatible Johnny. In fact I think the two are inextricably linked.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from marinernige
I don't give a sh@t about MK , the only reason i'm going tomorrow is MY team are playing there . UTM

Is that's all that's important to you Nige? 'My team. My this my that. I want my way. Now.'
Posted by: marinernige, August 20, 2018, 10:22pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Is that's all that's important to you Nige? 'My team. My this my that. I want my way. Now.'

So by boycotting the game we hurt Town ,
Posted by: Poojah, August 20, 2018, 10:28pm; Reply: 61
Speaking with fans other lower league clubs on the subject of MK Dons recently, I've started to get the impression that the ill-feeling towards them has dissipated somewhat. This, to some extent, may be due to the fact that in a little over a decade the club has made no progress in terms of league position and fan base, whilst also (quite remarkably) being overtaken by the very club whose league position they stole.

For me though, none of that's relevant. The point is this; they set a precedent which says that if you really want to, you can buy a football club and move it wherever you like in pursuit of some perceived commercial opportunity.

And then you look at Town. A club in possession of a football league place, but one which resides in what to many outsiders is an undesirable and inconvenient location with a limited catchment. Consider too that we'd be relatively cheap to buy, with very little in the way of tangible assets to speak of (BP is worth sod all) - just the matter of a little benign loan to settle.

It sounds fanciful, but then I'd have said the same of MK Dons twenty years ago. If you were in the market to purchase a club and move it to, say, Dublin (which was one of the [url=https://www.balls.ie/football/balls-remembers-complete-story-wimbledon-almost-came-dublin-135956]original plans for Wimbledon[/url]), then we'd have to be an attractive proposition.

I hope beyond hope that nothing like this will ever happen in English football again but nevertheless we live in a world where increasingly money talks and for that reason alone, the ordinary fan should never forgive or forget what happened to Wimbledon FC.

I enjoy the rivalry which comes with being a football supporter, but I don't 'hate' Scunny or Lincoln fans. At the end of the day, they're just like us. I do however feel nothing but contempt for anyone who knows the history of MK Dons and continues to support them anyway.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 20, 2018, 10:29pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from marinernige

So by boycotting the game we hurt Town ,

Maybe. Short term. Sometimes I think other things are more important. If it was just about winning I don't think we'd be Town fans would we?

And longer term I think it is in our interests.

If you are going, just don't spend more than you have to. And give the plastictwats hell (within the bounds of good and legal behaviour  ;) ).
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 20, 2018, 10:33pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Teesknees

I will be doing the same thing through my chrome book but I found I had to mirror something to get it to work, anyone know why I would have to mirror it to get it to work?
As you can tell I'm not tech savvy.

Posted by: Grimal, August 20, 2018, 10:43pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from BraStrap

You won't need to go there now ,it's been taken over by Barclays,hasn't it ? ;)

Posted by: TonySmith, August 20, 2018, 11:45pm; Reply: 65
  Our team has a tough away game tomorrow night, and I'm sure the players would appreciate all the support they can get. If I could be in Milton Keynes tomorrow, I would definitely be there. As it is, I'm in Atlanta, Georgia, so I won't be there! I will be watching on I-Follow though, but hold on , don't MK Dons get a cut of that revenue too? Oh no!
Posted by: Maringer, August 21, 2018, 7:32am; Reply: 66
I appreciate the views of both sides of the spectrum. If you want to go and support GTFC, fine. If you don't on a point of principle, fine.

Personally, I visited Milton Keynes about 20 years ago and once was enough for me!

What's the situation with Kingstonian these days? Are they back playing in Kingston after being turfed out of their old ground the other year?
Posted by: Les Brechin, August 21, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 67
Quoted from marinernige

So if you wasn't working , you'd be going ?

Depends if I got a comp ticket or not, although I must admit going to The Hockey Stadium to witness Danny Boshell's rocket of a winner a few years back.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 21, 2018, 9:33am; Reply: 68
There are two sides of the argument which is fine by me but I think those advocating a boycott need to be a little more accepting of those that want to go.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 21, 2018, 9:34am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Poojah
Speaking with fans other lower league clubs on the subject of MK Dons recently, I've started to get the impression that the ill-feeling towards them has dissipated somewhat. This, to some extent, may be due to the fact that in a little over a decade the club has made no progress in terms of league position and fan base, whilst also (quite remarkably) being overtaken by the very club whose league position they stole.

For me though, none of that's relevant. The point is this; they set a precedent which says that if you really want to, you can buy a football club and move it wherever you like in pursuit of some perceived commercial opportunity.

And then you look at Town. A club in possession of a football league place, but one which resides in what to many outsiders is an undesirable and inconvenient location with a limited catchment. Consider too that we'd be relatively cheap to buy, with very little in the way of tangible assets to speak of (BP is worth sod all) - just the matter of a little benign loan to settle.

It sounds fanciful, but then I'd have said the same of MK Dons twenty years ago. If you were in the market to purchase a club and move it to, say, Dublin (which was one of the [url=https://www.balls.ie/football/balls-remembers-complete-story-wimbledon-almost-came-dublin-135956]original plans for Wimbledon[/url]), then we'd have to be an attractive proposition.

I hope beyond hope that nothing like this will ever happen in English football again but nevertheless we live in a world where increasingly money talks and for that reason alone, the ordinary fan should never forgive or forget what happened to Wimbledon FC.

I enjoy the rivalry which comes with being a football supporter, but I don't 'hate' Scunny or Lincoln fans. At the end of the day, they're just like us. I do however feel nothing but contempt for anyone who knows the history of MK Dons and continues to support them anyway.

I mostly agree with your post BUT kids born in MK who then follow them as a result? I started watching Town when I was 7 so any kids in MK that age would not have a clue why so many of us despise them.Also my anger and resentment is more directed at the FA and the League
Posted by: WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP, August 21, 2018, 9:57am; Reply: 70
Well I don’t know anyone else who is going but im going so if anyone wants a lift let me know
Posted by: MarinerMal, August 21, 2018, 10:01am; Reply: 71
Each to their own but I don't understand why the attitude of "it's was over a decade ago, it's time to move on"

Why does time make a difference to the wrong that was done?

They killed two football clubs, one which had won the FA Cup in relatively recent history in a move which could well have been the beginning to rich owners purchasing football clubs and relocating them to more profitable areas of the country, like the supporters of the club are inconsequential. We may dislike clubs like Salford with rich owners but at least for the supporters of the club aren't left behind.

The consortium from Milton Keynes were trying very actively to find a football club to steal. It approached Luton, Wimbledon, Crystal Palace, Barnet and Queens Park Rangers.

It identified Wimbledon as the weakest target (because of issues with the local council) and zoned in for the kill. It was almost like a lioness surveying a heard of gazelles and identifying it's prey.

The protest still go on to this day to ensure nothing similar could ever happens again. If not, what would there to be to stop a rich owner buying GTFC for a couple of million and announce they were going to relocate club to an area more capable of sustaining a football club higher up the pyramid. Somewhere that have a higher populations in a more affluent area at the expense of the local team playing lower down the pyramid?

This is why many still protest and refuse to go.

You may think it's hurting Grimsby by not going when the opposite may very well be true.
Posted by: GrimRob, August 21, 2018, 10:10am; Reply: 72
I understand people not going but it's not going to change anything, other than result in one less voice backing our team. Milton Keynes is a big enough place to belong in the Football League. They took a short cut to get there (within the rules at the time) but they'd probably have managed by now even if they had taken the traditional route. Wimbledon had been homeless for several years, it's not as though they were plucked from a viable situation. I suspect their supporters have actually benefitted in the long term from the existence of MKD, it might have hurt at first, but they've formed a new club and been given permission to obliterate the greyhound stadium with their new ground.

I agree they should change the name though and drop the Dons. But there are a million things that concern me more than some other club's name.
Posted by: MarinerMal, August 21, 2018, 10:34am; Reply: 73
Quoted from GrimRob
I understand people not going but it's not going to change anything, other than result in one less voice backing our team. Milton Keynes is a big enough place to belong in the Football League. They took a short cut to get there (within the rules at the time) but they'd probably have managed by now even if they had taken the traditional route. Wimbledon had been homeless for several years, it's not as though they were plucked from a viable situation. I suspect their supporters have actually benefitted in the long term from the existence of MKD, it might have hurt at first, but they've formed a new club and been given permission to obliterate the greyhound stadium with their new ground.

I agree they should change the name though and drop the Dons. But there are a million things that concern me more than some other club's name.

Totally and utterly misses the point.

They stole a football club from the fans and a football league place.

"it's not as though they were plucked from a viable situation" - Then how come WImbledon have a football league club now in a higher division then MK Dons?

It's not a matter of... well it all turned out alright in the end. It hasn't and won't until MKD reform and start again from the bottom of the pyramid like everyone else. Please don't forgive or forget such a travesty.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 21, 2018, 6:21pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from Maringer
I appreciate the views of both sides of the spectrum. If you want to go and support GTFC, fine. If you don't on a point of principle, fine.

Personally, I visited Milton Keynes about 20 years ago and once was enough for me!

What's the situation with Kingstonian these days? Are they back playing in Kingston after being turfed out of their old ground the other year?

The Ks are back in Kingston borough, ground sharing with Corinthian Casuals just off the A3 near Tolworth.

If it’s the old canard about AFCW being as bad as MK Dons it rather misses the point about how the Ks got in such a financial mess in the first place. They had 14 years as a sub-tenant of AFCW and arguably had the Dons not stepped in they could have been homeless back in 2002 and completely folded then.

But it also illustrates the weakness of having one or two rich people owning a football club rather than it being Trust owned.
Print page generated: May 27, 2024, 2:13am