Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, August 12, 2018, 7:31pm
The next two league games are against the two favourites for promotion, Lincoln and MKD. It should give us a good yardstick as to where we rank. So far in the two seasons in this division, we have been some distance from the top sides in terms of quality, and I don't think in general we have fared very well against them results-wise.

The two sides we have faced so far are both expected to finish in the bottom half. Personally, I would be happy with a total of 3 points in these two games (ideally against Lincoln!).
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 12, 2018, 8:05pm; Reply: 1
I actually think the measure will be when we play everyone for the 2nd time this season rather than the first wave of fixtures.

Yesterday told me we are a side that’s a definite “work in progress” so I’d expect us to have mixed results pre Christmas then a more consistent finish to the season setting us up for 19/20.

We haven’t got the financial resources or parachute benefits of some of this seasons promotion favourites so making a comparison this early is a bit of a challenge.

What MJ is building will take us forward mid/long term and provide some sustainable success, I’m cool with that though I have to say like the Gimps I’d love a decent cup run to kick start things a bit.  
Posted by: Townee82, August 12, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 2
Lincolns cup run came about due to there route one into the corners and bombing over crosses , a plan that exploits the popular wing backs system .
Posted by: Maringer, August 12, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 3
I can't really see why FGR should be considered as a bottom half team when they've got one of the biggest budgets and a strong squad. I'll be surprised if they aren't in the play-offs come the end of the season, especially as Vince is likely to splash out even more in January if they look like they are doing well.
Posted by: chaos33, August 12, 2018, 8:50pm; Reply: 4
I agree
Posted by: GrimRob, August 12, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Maringer
I can't really see why FGR should be considered as a bottom half team when they've got one of the biggest budgets and a strong squad. I'll be surprised if they aren't in the play-offs come the end of the season, especially as Vince is likely to splash out even more in January if they look like they are doing well.

Have to agree with you, but they are 4/1 to even finish in the top 7, a decent bet as it largely seems to be based upon their finishing position last year.
Posted by: Cloudy, August 12, 2018, 9:29pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I actually think the measure will be when we play everyone for the 2nd time this season rather than the first wave of fixtures.

Yesterday told me we are a side that’s a definite “work in progress” so I’d expect us to have mixed results pre Christmas then a more consistent finish to the season setting us up for 19/20.

We haven’t got the financial resources or parachute benefits of some of this seasons promotion favourites so making a comparison this early is a bit of a challenge.

What MJ is building will take us forward mid/long term and provide some sustainable success, I’m cool with that though I have to say like the Gimps I’d love a decent cup run to kick start things a bit.  

Parachute payments? Do clubs get parachute payments if they are relegated from League one?
Not saying you are wrong, just that I have never heard it before
Posted by: forza ivano, August 12, 2018, 10:42pm; Reply: 7
Tbh if we get a point from the next 2 games it'll be a bonus
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, August 12, 2018, 10:55pm; Reply: 8
I just hope there's not a melt down if we do lose the next two.
Posted by: sydney, August 12, 2018, 11:06pm; Reply: 9
We showed steel yesterday and played the ball to feet more than first game
Next two league games will be tuff but the players confidence will be good after one and all been clapped off on sat
We might nick something in next 2
Any news on roses ridiculous red card?
Come on Town more of yesterday please
Posted by: pizzzza, August 12, 2018, 11:09pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
I just hope there's not a melt down if we do lose the next two.

Are you new here?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, August 12, 2018, 11:50pm; Reply: 11
Agree with Forza Ivano. Each point will be a bonus. Two would be very nice.

But we've often pulled out unpredictable results. Both ways, sadly. So 3 points won't surprise me. We could even get four (derby game and all that). But I'm expecting nowt.
Posted by: Croxton, August 13, 2018, 9:26am; Reply: 12
I just hope we see further cohesion in general play and avoid injuries and cards. It is crucial how we perform against the 'lesser' teams and retain enough fit players to give MJ options in selection. No need to get caught up in Derby Mania. Welshy may see it differently!
Posted by: grimsby pete, August 13, 2018, 10:07am; Reply: 13
I can see us getting 2 pts from the next two games if we get 3 I would be very happy,

Now if we get 4 that would be great.

I do not think anybody is thinking of 6.

BUT

Football is a funny old game .
Posted by: AussieMariner, August 13, 2018, 10:22am; Reply: 14
Quoted from Croxton
I just hope we see further cohesion in general play and avoid injuries and cards. It is crucial how we perform against the 'lesser' teams and retain enough fit players to give MJ options in selection. No need to get caught up in Derby Mania. Welshy may see it differently!

Interesting point about Welsh Croxton
I agree he looks like he will definitely be up for a local derby - its early days for him for that sort of rivalry but I have a feeling that he might be a quick learner....
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 8:27pm