Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 19, 2018, 3:42pm
Yes, I know we're not playing there anymore but unless I've missed something, I don't think there ever was a real reason given as to why this friendly was cancelled. "Beyond the circumstances of both clubs" is all I have seen. Does anyone know what the real reasons were? Surely it's not because North Yorks Police couldn't deal with the hoardes of black and white troublemakers.

I'm going over to York for the weekend anyway as my best mate lives there and as soon as the friendly was announced we made plans, so it'll just be a weekend in York with no footy instead.
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 19, 2018, 3:58pm; Reply: 1
You won’t be on your own Les. 27 on a stag do.
Originally the Stag had to wear FULL Scunny kit for the match. So he’s actually quite pleased it’s off.
See you there. UTM
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, July 19, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 2
Me and Mrs LM are there too
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 19, 2018, 4:16pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from Civvy at last
You won’t be on your own Les. 27 on a stag do.
Originally the Stag had to wear FULL Scunny kit for the match. So he’s actually quite pleased it’s off.
See you there. UTM

We'll be out in York on Saturday night I would think so I'll keep an eye out for a large group of inebriated Mariners.  ;)
Posted by: Mariner66, July 19, 2018, 4:28pm; Reply: 4
6 of us also decided to still make the trip and stay over...............at this rate there will be more Town there than at the Sunderland pre-season game  :)
Posted by: Todmorden Mariner, July 19, 2018, 5:07pm; Reply: 5
Those already committed to York could still catch a pre-season match nearby.
Harrogate Town v Bradford City
Knaresborough Town v North Shields
Tadcaster Albion v Farsley Celtic
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 19, 2018, 5:29pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Todmorden Mariner
Those already committed to York could still catch a pre-season match nearby.
Harrogate Town v Bradford City
Knaresborough Town v North Shields
Tadcaster Albion v Farsley Celtic

Sod that. Do you know how many pubs there are in York!  ;)
Posted by: Barrattstander, July 19, 2018, 6:53pm; Reply: 7
Committed to visiting York this weekend?
No game to watch.
Try some of these alternative activities:-

Pub crawls. http://www.withinthewalls.tumblr.com

Comedy? The Great Yorkshire Fringe begins today.  http://www.greatyorkshirefringe.com

How about some Shakespeare in Europe’s first ever pop-up Shakespearean Theatre. http://www.shakespearesrosetheatre.com

You’re welcome.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 19, 2018, 8:04pm; Reply: 8
Still no one's mentioned exactly why the game was called off.

Must have been cos the North Yorks plod couldn't cope which is a bit pathetic.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 19, 2018, 8:17pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Les Brechin
Still no one's mentioned exactly why the game was called off.

Must have been cos the North Yorks plod couldn't cope which is a bit pathetic.

Probably because of the heavy demands placed on the police by the Shakespeare thing. The coppers heard there was going to be a big gang fight with knives and even swords. Something to do with those well-known York mobs t'Capulets and t'Montagues.
Posted by: ginnywings, July 19, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 10
Would have gone to this for sure. Alas it wasn't to be.  :(

If Carlsberg did away friendlies....
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 20, 2018, 9:56am; Reply: 11
I see that York played Leeds in a friendly last night.

Seems they can deal with several hundred Leeds fans but not us!
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), July 20, 2018, 10:01am; Reply: 12
Quoted from Les Brechin
I see that York played Leeds in a friendly last night.

Seems they can deal with several hundred Leeds fans but not us!

York v Leeds is very similar to GTFC v Cleethorpes Town - loads of Leeds fans in York.

No idea why it's off either. Seem to recall the last time we played them, there was a huge police (and dog) presence outside the away stand.

Frankly, they can't cope with the hoards of Teesiders who get hammered in York every Saturday so probably panicked.
Posted by: Youngy, July 20, 2018, 10:03am; Reply: 13
I'm also going to York tomorrow, intended on taking my 3 year old daughter to the match with a pre match trip around the train museum. Will have to spend the time between 3pm and my train home watching the buskers whilst eating Gyros from my favourite Greek street food stand. Sad times....
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 20, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from 140381

York v Leeds is very similar to GTFC v Cleethorpes Town - loads of Leeds fans in York.

No idea why it's off either. Seem to recall the last time we played them, there was a huge police (and dog) presence outside the away stand.

Frankly, they can't cope with the hoards of Teesiders who get hammered in York every Saturday so probably panicked.

Speaking to someone who lives in York this week and he suggested that York on a Saturday night is quite crap these days with loads of louts about.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 20, 2018, 8:00pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from arryarryarry

Speaking to someone who lives in York this week and he suggested that York on a Saturday night is quite crap these days with loads of louts about.

There will be tomorrow  ;)
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), July 20, 2018, 8:17pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from arryarryarry

Yep. I’ve lived there nearly ten years now and it’s pretty much a no go area from 10am on Saturday until Sunday lunchtime. Newcastle and Middlesbrough lot turn up drunk off the trains.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 20, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 140381

Yep. I’ve lived there nearly ten years now and it’s pretty much a no go area from 10am on Saturday until Sunday lunchtime. Newcastle and Middlesbrough lot turn up drunk off the trains.

Bit rich for York folk to moan about marauding, drunk northmen turning up ruining the ambience. Like Ozzies moaning about immigrants.  ;D
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, July 21, 2018, 8:00am; Reply: 18
Good night out last night.
Some cracking pubs
Posted by: Mallyner, July 21, 2018, 8:27am; Reply: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Probably because of the heavy demands placed on the police by the Shakespeare thing. The coppers heard there was going to be a big gang fight with knives and even swords. Something to do with those well-known York mobs t'Capulets and t'Montagues.

They have been 'Bard' from most pubs. :)
Posted by: The_Laughing_Mariner, July 21, 2018, 4:36pm; Reply: 20
Just back from a great day out in York
Out again later.
Highlight was a pint of 'ignore the ignorant' in the Punch Bowl
Posted by: Civvy at last, July 21, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from 140381

Must be the exception to the rule today.
Poor night last night. But been out since 1 today and had a cracking day. Good laughs with no trouble.   2 Hen parties out already tonight. And totty is plentiful. Bumped into a few Town fans as well.  
Posted by: 140381 (Guest), July 21, 2018, 9:18pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from Civvy at last

Must be the exception to the rule today.
Poor night last night. But been out since 1 today and had a cracking day. Good laughs with no trouble.   2 Hen parties out already tonight. And totty is plentiful. Bumped into a few Town fans as well.  

It’s race weekend next weekend so they’re probably saving it up for that. Glad you all had a good time.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 23, 2018, 3:09pm; Reply: 23
Had a decent weekend. Went over to Harrogate and Knaresborough on the train on Saturday and then had a few in York when we got back.

There was some sort of food and drink festival outdoors in York too which it would'd been rude not to partake in.
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 2:40pm