Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 30, 2018, 3:03pm
https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/may/whitmore-becomes-first-summer-signing/

On a one year deal
Posted by: Kris2, May 30, 2018, 3:14pm; Reply: 1
One year deal is good or bad depending on how it goes. Either it means if things just don't work out so well we don't have to worry about being stuck with him, or it means he plays the best season of his career and signs for somebody else on a free for more money.
Posted by: horsforthmariner, May 30, 2018, 3:15pm; Reply: 2
Good to see we are taking  the best players from that tinpot, non league chesterfield team. I suppose they could become our feeder club.  ;)
Posted by: Superdan147, May 30, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 3
It says initial one year deal which tells me there is an option to extend which I really like. Either way your on a winner. Doesn’t cut it, he goes, does well and he stays. Good business
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 30, 2018, 3:17pm; Reply: 4
No problem with that - a player MJ clearly knows - welcome to GTFC Alex!
Posted by: GrimRob, May 30, 2018, 3:22pm; Reply: 5
22 years old, I'd much sooner be signing younger players who are still learning and ambitious than Slade's veterans at the other end of their careers.
Posted by: Stew0_0, May 30, 2018, 3:30pm; Reply: 6
Good signing.  Started his roots under Jolley, Dyche and Co. Still young so room for improvement and development and will have others signed in his position yet to push him further.
Good start hopefully the 1st of a few to come this week
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 30, 2018, 3:38pm; Reply: 7
Sounds like a decent level-headed lad. Hopefully MJ can bring out the best in him.
Posted by: Mariner47, May 30, 2018, 3:41pm; Reply: 8
Sounds like a decent signing on the face of it. The fact that Jolley has worked with him before surely limits some of the risk involved in signing players as he knows the type of player he is.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, May 30, 2018, 3:55pm; Reply: 9
Welcome to the mariners  :)
Posted by: GtfcGarner, May 30, 2018, 3:56pm; Reply: 10
Welcome to the club. Give your all in the town shirt and you’ll be adored. UTM
Posted by: Mikey_345, May 30, 2018, 4:00pm; Reply: 11
Welcome Alex!

Really pleased with this signing and like what it seems to show with where MJ is going with regards the type of player he wants here.

From everything I’ve read this lad gives 100% on the pitch. Still only 22 with undoubtably still a lot to learn.

Hope he gets the time to be allowed to do that should he not turn out to be Maldini after 5/6 games.
Posted by: Grantley, May 30, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 12
Chesterfield fans don’t rate him. I’ll respect Jolley’s opinion over theirs though.
Posted by: ivanosandwich, May 30, 2018, 4:46pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Grantley
Chesterfield fans don’t rate him. I’ll respect Jolley’s opinion over theirs though.

I agree, I didn't rate some of our own players until Jolley arrived.
Posted by: Harry Haddock, May 30, 2018, 5:00pm; Reply: 14
Which position does he play in ?
Posted by: ginnywings, May 30, 2018, 5:10pm; Reply: 15
Welcome Alex.
Posted by: Grumps, May 30, 2018, 5:20pm; Reply: 16
Welcome Alex
Posted by: acko338, May 30, 2018, 5:26pm; Reply: 17
Known player to the manager, right age, wants to be here!

What's not to like for external signing number 1 ?

Good start ! Now give him time to settle in !
Posted by: grimsby pete, May 30, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from Harry Haddock
Which position does he play in ?

Welcome Alex   ( centre defence )
Posted by: psgmariner, May 30, 2018, 7:37pm; Reply: 19
Says undisclosed fee on bbc?! With all the free agents out there it always surprises me when clubs at our level pay a fee. Especially when it’s a defender who couldn’t get a game team for the worst team in the entire league structure. Good luck etc but a baffling first piece of business.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 30, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 20
If he's been at a prem club you would expect him to have a bit of pace.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 30, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from psgmariner
Says undisclosed fee on bbc?! With all the free agents out there it always surprises me when clubs at our level pay a fee. Especially when it’s a defender who couldn’t get a game team for the worst team in the entire league structure. Good luck etc but a baffling first piece of business.

I thought he played against us? Also, the fee could be paying off his contract.
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 30, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from psgmariner

Explain where he couldn't get a game? Played 15 times since signing in January
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 30, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 23
Quoted from psgmariner

Jolley made some of the worst players in towns history look decent after he’d had a few weeks with them so I’m happy if Jolley is happy about this lad.
Posted by: moosey_club, May 30, 2018, 8:11pm; Reply: 24
Humberside had a chat with the BBC reporter from Chesterfield earlier...he stated that Whitmore likes to play the ball out but sometimes too much or at the wrong times, sometimes gets caught under the ball, made the odd mistake but overall they thought he was ok if not spectacularly good ,but he did also say he showed alot more character than some of the contracted players around him.

Posted by: forza ivano, May 30, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from psgmariner

The barmy one at chesterfield said that Whitmore and the others under contract were free to leave and no transfer fee would be needed
Posted by: RonMariner, May 30, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 26
Sounds like someone who tries to play football, not the sort Allen wants in his team.

MJ has worked with him before so wouldn't have signed him if he didn't feel he could do a job for us.
Posted by: psgmariner, May 30, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Explain where he couldn't get a game?

Chestefield fans:

Something clearly happened with Whitmore. He went from a two-year contract, young player with a future despite our position, to not only out of the first eleven, but not even good enough for the bench.

http://www.thecfss.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=63040&st=20
Posted by: The Yard Dog, May 31, 2018, 8:57pm; Reply: 28
Welcome to GTFC the journey upwards starts now.

Surprised that they are only 3 pages for our 1st signing
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 31, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from chaos33
I spoke to a player who'd played with him today and he said he was a really sound lad and a decent defender but that he didn't rate him as a footballer, and this was at conference level. Hoping this is just a case of it clicking for players at some clubs and not others.

Only on The Fishy can we slag off a signing more than 2 months before he plays a competitive game. I thought he was OK for Chesterfield against us and he's also been on the books of a Prem club - in Jolley I trust.
Posted by: Maringer, May 31, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 30
I don't particularly mind too much if central defenders aren't great footballers. At our level, especially, you're likely to see more damaging errors from defenders who think they are capable of playing it around a bit when they really aren't. If he's good defensively, it will do for me, providing the players around him can receive the ball and use it well.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 31, 2018, 9:38pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Only on The Fishy can we slag off a signing more than 2 months before he plays a competitive game. I thought he was OK for Chesterfield against us and he's also been on the books of a Prem club - in Jolley I trust.

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH

It’s not only on the fishy. It’s not only Grimsby fans. This sort of thread appears football forums from  supporters EVERYWHERE. FFS.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, May 31, 2018, 9:46pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Civvy at last

AAAARRRRGGGHHHH

It’s not only on the fishy. It’s not only Grimsby fans. This sort of thread appears football forums from  supporters EVERYWHERE. FFS.

Yeah FFS - why can't we show a bit of class and give the lad a break?
Posted by: sam gy, May 31, 2018, 9:52pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from chaos33
I spoke to a player who'd played with him today and he said he was a really sound lad and a decent defender but that he didn't rate him as a footballer, and this was at conference level. Hoping this is just a case of it clicking for players at some clubs and not others.

A decent defender, but doesn’t rate him as a footballer?? Oooookkkkk....

Well, good for us that he’s a defender then, eh?
Posted by: Ipswin, May 31, 2018, 9:56pm; Reply: 34
I'm sure everyone on here is quite willing to give the lad a chance irrespective of mixed reviews about him from his previous club, I think that's inevitable

If I have a concern it's that the first signing is from the non-league.

I am hoping for some out of contract Div 1 players, some Burnley U23s on loan perhaps (after all its mainly his time at Burnley that gives MJ his credibility) and I liked the look of the Swedish Omar lad the other day.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, May 31, 2018, 10:11pm; Reply: 35
Assuming it was Paddy McLaughin who played with him when he was on loan at Gateshead? He'd only have been 20 then so very young for a centre back. Hopefully trained on since. I guess we don't know yet if MJ sees him as first choice to partner Collins or back up and one to develop. We're going to need at least one more centre back presumably.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, May 31, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 36
He’s a defender who can defend then .. I like him already in fact compared to Clarke I think he could be world class
Posted by: ginnywings, May 31, 2018, 10:55pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Ipswin
I'm sure everyone on here is quite willing to give the lad a chance irrespective of mixed reviews about him from his previous club, I think that's inevitable

I am hoping for some out of contract Div 1 players, some Burnley U23s on loan perhaps (after all its mainly his time at Burnley that gives MJ his credibility) and I liked the look of the Swedish Omar lad the other day.

Think you're stretching the truth there a bit. He was in the league and got relegated out of it. His only playing time in non league was while on loan from a league club.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 1, 2018, 12:25am; Reply: 38
Quoted from Ipswin

Forgive me if I'm wrong... But haven't some of our best players in recent years come from non-league?
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 1, 2018, 2:59am; Reply: 39
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Yeah FFS - why can't we show a bit of class and give the lad a break?

Codger,  for what it’s worth I actually agree with you mostly.
Why slag the lad off before he’s actually kicked the ball in anger???

It’s the ‘only on the fishy’ or ‘that’s the Grimsby mentality’ bits that get me.  The vast majority  response on the signing is positive. But there will always be one or two with concerns. Some of which seem legitimate. You will get that with 99% or message boards everywhere. So it’s not a ‘Grimsby’ trait. It’s a ‘football supporters’ trait.

Rant over.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, June 1, 2018, 6:40am; Reply: 40
Quoted from Civvy at last

Codger,  for what it’s worth I actually agree with you mostly.
Why slag the lad off before he’s actually kicked the ball in anger???

It’s the ‘only on the fishy’ or ‘that’s the Grimsby mentality’ bits that get me.  The vast majority  response on the signing is positive. But there will always be one or two with concerns. Some of which seem legitimate. You will get that with 99% or message boards everywhere. So it’s not a ‘Grimsby’ trait. It’s a ‘football supporters’ trait.

Rant over.

I get that Civvy - it's the ' so and so says he's shite,so he is shite' bit that grinds my gears.
Posted by: chaos33, June 1, 2018, 6:47am; Reply: 41
Except that you misread and jumped to conclusions didn't you. Nowhere did I say he was sh1te. Quite the opposite. I said I trusted Jolley's judgement and that often players click at one club having not done so at a previous. I mistakenly thought it might be of interest to pass on an (edited) assessment from a former playing colleague only to have you and others jump all over that. Lesson learned. Won't do that again.
Posted by: Ipswin, June 1, 2018, 7:58am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Forgive me if I'm wrong... But haven't some of our best players in recent years come from non-league?

and so right duffers too, I just hoped we were going to be setting our sights a bit higher thats all, he might turn out to be another Chris Smalling!

Posted by: Ipswin, June 1, 2018, 8:02am; Reply: 43
Quoted from ginnywings

Think you're stretching the truth there a bit. He was in the league and got relegated out of it. His only playing time in non league was while on loan from a league club.

He might have been in the league - just! 92nd wasn't it?

Anyway Gateshead, Chester, Morcambe and Chesterfield is not really a list of previous clubs that speaks quality

Lets just hope MJ can turn him into a world beater, after what he managed with some of the absolute tossers last season anything is possible.
Posted by: ginnywings, June 1, 2018, 8:08am; Reply: 44
I think some people need to take a look at where we sit in the grand scheme of things, which currently is ar$e end of league 2 and very nearly non league. The players we can attract/afford are not all going to be the finished article and not of a standard some of us older fans remember from seasons past. This league isn't exactly cultured and it doesn't look that difficult to get out of if you get the blend right and work hard. I'm not expecting Paul Futcher.
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, June 1, 2018, 8:38am; Reply: 45
Looking back at Clarke’s performances over the season I believe the key problem was his lack of pace/mobility. In all honesty he was stilll very good in the air and not the worst footballer we have had at centre half.

However, his lack of pace resulted in the defence sitting very deep with a number of resulting problems and his lack of mobility resulted in reckless challenges resulting in numerous free kicks in our half and a number of penalties.

So a younger version with pace/mobility should be an asset to the way we hopefully plan to play next season.
Posted by: sam gy, June 1, 2018, 10:11am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Ipswin

Anyway Gateshead, Chester, Morcambe and Chesterfield is not really a list of previous clubs that speaks quality

Tactically missing out League 1 Bury to re-inforce your point? And Premier League Burnley. Are you a politician?  ;D
Posted by: acko338, June 1, 2018, 10:43am; Reply: 47
Everyone will have chance to pass judgement on the first few games of pre season - up to then, please welcome Alex - you don't sign for a Premier club at ANY level without someone having scouted you and seen something there to work with !

I would sooner have an "eager to play and be here under Jolley" younger player than a "give me your cash or I don't turn up" type of player.

People who lose blood and guts on the field, and work together as a team, will always win over the fans - fancy Dans get spotted instantly.

If Disley is still behind the scenes this coming season in any role / coaching experience, and he has had chance to talk to signings, they will have no doubt as to loyalties and work ethics !!

Printed player comments at the end of last season also put forward a change in attitudes that the new manager installed so quickly and the results came good !

Now looking forward to verbal agreements turning into firm signings over the next couple of weeks !
Posted by: Ipswin, June 1, 2018, 11:10am; Reply: 48
Quoted from sam gy

Tactically missing out League 1 Bury to re-inforce your point? And Premier League Burnley. Are you a politician?  ;D

I can't find any first team appearances for Burnley (they sent him out on loan five times) he might have been an U23 there but he clearly didn't make it, are you tactically including Burnley?

Oh and by the way Bury were relegated too so they're now L2

I'd love to be a politician if only to intercourse up Ms May and the Tories

Posted by: sam gy, June 1, 2018, 11:16am; Reply: 49
Quoted from Ipswin

I can't find any first team appearances for Burnley (they sent him out on loan five times) he might have been an U23 there but he clearly didn't make it, are you tactically including Burnley?

He signed professional terms though! And Bury were a League 1 club when he played with them.

The last guy we signed from Gateshead didn't too bad. And as for that striker we signed from Morecambe...

But yes, agreed on that one. intercourse the Tories :)
Posted by: mariner91, June 1, 2018, 11:28am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Ipswin

You're a ridiculous human being. In this thread you've stated you'd want us to get in some Burnley U23 players, this lad was there only 4 months ago. You've called him a non-league signing when he hasn't played non-league football for 2 years. Using your own logic, if we'd signed Podge last summer like you wanted us to, that would have been a non-league signing and therefore a duffer right? As for clearly not making it, we're hardly likely to get a player, even on loan, who is good enough for the starting eleven of the seventh best team in England are we?
Posted by: Civvy at last, June 1, 2018, 11:30am; Reply: 51
Quoted from sam gy

But yes, agreed on that one. intercourse the Tories :)

Absolutely,  lets get Corbyn and Co in.  Then every club will have to have at least 3 BAME employees regardless of whether they can do the job or not.

We can get Ms Abbot to calculate the league tables.  Win one game and you could get 6 points, or was it 14, oh hang on, it might be 12.5.  It could be fun.  Might screw up anyone betting on the league tables though.  And as for goal difference, well that would be interesting wouldn't it.  

UTM

Posted by: Ipswin, June 1, 2018, 11:57am; Reply: 52
Quoted from mariner91

You're a ridiculous human being. In this thread you've stated you'd want us to get in some Burnley U23 players, this lad was there only 4 months ago. You've called him a non-league signing when he hasn't played non-league football for 2 years. Using your own logic, if we'd signed Podge last summer like you wanted us to, that would have been a non-league signing and therefore a duffer right? As for clearly not making it, we're hardly likely to get a player, even on loan, who is good enough for the starting eleven of the seventh best team in England are we?

If you read what I wrote, (probably difficult for you , just get someone to do it for you), I said I hoped to get some Burnley U23s on loan, current Burnley U23s who are still at the club, obviously not first teamers but who are still in their plans.

He hasn't played a lot of league football in the last two years either

As far as Amond is concerned I rather think he was far more proven

Posted by: mariner91, June 1, 2018, 12:09pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Ipswin

If you read what I wrote, (probably difficult for you , just get someone to do it for you), I said I hoped to get some Burnley U23s on loan, current Burnley U23s who are still at the club, obviously not first teamers but who are still in their plans.

He hasn't played a lot of league football in the last two years either

As far as Amond is concerned I rather think he was far more proven

Whitmore is 23 in September, he was clearly reasonably well regarded to have stayed at the club that long despite never actually playing for the first team.

He's played 58 games in the FL in the last two seasons but don't the let facts get in the way, you never normally do.

How was Amond less of a non-league player than Whitmore is according to you? He'd spent a season playing non-league a year before and then been immediately relegated back to non-league. Given that we've seen Amond, well you might have once or twice given how regularly you actually watch Town, we know he can cut L2. But his circumstances made him just as much a "non-league player", if not more so than Whitmore, so surely that's evidence if you ever needed it not to jump the gun about the ability of an individual player from a relegated side?
Posted by: Balthazar Bullitt, June 1, 2018, 12:15pm; Reply: 54
Is it August yet?
Posted by: monkeyboy, June 1, 2018, 1:36pm; Reply: 55
Hes 22 FFS. he will not reach maturity in his position for another 5-6 years.  give him a chance, how many other teams seriously have central defenders playing every week at that age?
Posted by: forza ivano, June 1, 2018, 1:53pm; Reply: 56
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p068s1pr

latest update from the manager, which has a fair portion devoted to whitmore
Posted by: Posh Harry, June 1, 2018, 4:36pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from forza ivano

Not only that forza, seems to indicate that Akeem Rose deal is agreed just paperwork issue (again!!) and interestingly he says they are keeping in regular dialogue with Collins and Summerfield and/or their agents, clearly making the players feel wanted.

From memory a previous manager made an offer and then expected the player to come back to the club and didn’t bother following things up. Amazing what a bit of communication and ‘love’ can do!! Let’s hope they get over the line.

UTFM
Posted by: Cloudy, June 1, 2018, 4:49pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Posh Harry

Not only that forza, seems to indicate that Akeem Rose deal is agreed just paperwork issue (again!!) and interestingly he says they are keeping in regular dialogue with Collins and Summerfield and/or their agents, clearly making the players feel wanted.

From memory a previous manager made an offer and then expected the player to come back to the club and didn’t bother following things up. Amazing what a bit of communication and ‘love’ can do!! Let’s hope they get over the line.

UTFM

Thought Aaron said Akeem Rose had turned down our offer???
Posted by: Rick12, June 1, 2018, 4:52pm; Reply: 59
I feel for him in a way.1 year deal is nothing and whats he on yearly £35 -45 k I imagine.

I know its his choice to play become a pro but theres little security at this level.

I know there was a lad in non league that league clubs wanted to sign but he declined preferring to focus on his job and play football on the side due to the lack of financial stability at the lower level.

Posted by: Maringer, June 1, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Rick12
I know there was a lad in non league that league clubs wanted to sign but he declined preferring to focus on his job and play football on the side due to the lack of financial stability at the lower level.

That was the Altrincham striker, I seem to recall. I think he was running a plastering business alongside playing so he'd have been coining it in!  ;)
Posted by: Rick12, June 1, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Maringer

That was the Altrincham striker, I seem to recall. I think he was running a plastering business alongside playing so he'd have been coining it in!  ;)
Tough choice I know as many follow their dream of becoming a pro footballer  and end up nowhere in their 30s and in many cases need to support a family.

Hope the players that do decide to give it a go are implementing back ups plans.Some of them dont and create a difficult life for themselves once their careers are over.

Then you look at the other end of the scale at Gareth Bales contract with Real Madrid. Signed a 6 deal which will earn him  150 million !  

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/30/gareth-bale-real-madrid-new-contract-2022
Posted by: Tommy, June 1, 2018, 5:47pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Maringer

Yep. Damian Reeves.
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, June 1, 2018, 6:02pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Rick12
I feel for him in a way.1 year deal is nothing and whats he on yearly £35 -45 k I imagine.

I wish I was on £35-45K a year even if it was a one year deal
Posted by: toontown, June 1, 2018, 6:04pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from forza ivano

yeah says about Akheem Rose re-signing delay being more of a paperwork issue (understandable after last time). So looks like Aarron was posting bullshit on that topic then. What a surprise.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 1, 2018, 6:33pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from toontown

yeah says about Akheem Rose re-signing delay being more of a paperwork issue (understandable after last time). So looks like Aarron was posting bullshit on that topic then. What a surprise.

I've been one of the first to jump on Aaron's back previously when he's posted 'in the know' news.... But perhaps the lad was just passing on information he'd been told, regardless of whether it was true or not.
Posted by: TheGoalKipper, June 1, 2018, 7:01pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from toontown

Im hoping that this lad will turn out to be a gem for us.He's had a good rest and will be raring to go. We've put a big effort to get him and after all this time we are still trying so MJ clearly see's some potential there. I expect us to sign a proven goal scorer as a first option but I feel Rose will score a few for us as well.

Posted by: Rick12, June 1, 2018, 7:22pm; Reply: 67

I wish I was on £35-45K a year even if it was a one year deal
Fair enough  ;)

Posted by: McAllisters Ghost, June 1, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from toontown

Not necessarily - for all we know he might have turned down the initial contract offer and then accepted an improved one.  

At the end of the day, doesn't really matter if we end up getting him signed on - be interesting to see where he fits into Jolley's plans.
Posted by: lukeo, June 1, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from toontown

July we find for sure, 100% if Rose can play. The biggest hurdle has been jumped over, couple more to go!
Posted by: Davec, June 1, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 70
I was only commenting what a source told me, I made that clear at the time so don't shoot the messenger.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 1, 2018, 10:45pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from Davec
I was only commenting what a source told me, I made that clear at the time so don't shoot the messenger.

Aaron, you're doing yourself no favours by calling them 'sources'.... Just say friend, mate, grinder buddy etc.... You're not a journalist so please stop referring to them as 'sources'!!!
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 1:58pm