Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: BPMariner, May 11, 2018, 1:15pm
Bit of a shock that one https://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/2018/may/wilkinson-departs
Posted by: LocalLadGTFC, May 11, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 1
Following discussions with Michael Jolley, Paul Wilkinson has left his role of Assistant Manager at Grimsby Town FC.

Everyone at the club would like to thank Paul for the significant contribution he has made during his time with us.

Speaking to the club website, Michael Jolley said: "Paul has played an important role in helping us survive this season. He is a hard working and experienced football man and I am very grateful for his help in the last two months. I wish him the very best for the future."

Everyone at Grimsby Town wishes Paul the best in his future career.

No additional comments will be made.

Posted by: davmariner, May 11, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 2
Good decision IMO.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, May 11, 2018, 1:17pm; Reply: 3
No great surprise really... I was more surprised that he stayed on after Slade was sacked
Posted by: Abdul19, May 11, 2018, 1:18pm; Reply: 4
Yeah, always thought it was a short term measure. Guessing MJ has someone (or maybe more than one?) in mind to replace him.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, May 11, 2018, 1:30pm; Reply: 5
Be interesting to see who MJ brings in ? I’m not to sure if he had his own coaching staff in Sweden or whether it was solely the staff who had been at the club prior to his appointment ?

You never know, Jack Lester was his school mate and is currently out of work? Young and fresh faced like MJ, knows the club, has 3 years coaching experience in managing Forest U18’s and U23’s before his spell at Chesterfield ? Wouldn’t be completely implausible ?  ;)
Posted by: davmariner, May 11, 2018, 1:32pm; Reply: 6
Just because they went to school together doesn’t mean he’s going to hire him as number 2 at GTFC.
Posted by: Gainsbro_Mariner, May 11, 2018, 1:34pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from davmariner
Just because they went to school together doesn’t mean he’s going to hire him as number 2 at GTFC.

I thought the wink would give it away mate. I doubt very much as well but no harm in a stab in the dark is there.
Posted by: barrattstandman, May 11, 2018, 1:53pm; Reply: 8
Collins player coach anyone ?
Posted by: Nelly GTFC, May 11, 2018, 1:53pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner
Be interesting to see who MJ brings in ? I’m not to sure if he had his own coaching staff in Sweden or whether it was solely the staff who had been at the club prior to his appointment ?
I think this guy was the assistant manager at AFC Eskilstuna when Michael Jolley was there, probally same situation as Wilkinson though, so doubt Jolley has him lined up >> [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Johansson_(football_manager)]Anders Johansson[/url]
Posted by: Townee82, May 11, 2018, 1:56pm; Reply: 10
Different generations in their opinions of setting up a team from what I saw during wilkos stint in charge and MJs  tenure .
Posted by: Cloudy, May 11, 2018, 1:59pm; Reply: 11
Modern ways v The Dinasaur!

Thats how i saw it.

Wilkinson was always a Fenty appointment as he thought it would appease the fans
Posted by: AdamHaddock, May 11, 2018, 2:16pm; Reply: 12
Surely the management team will be Jolley - Rodger?
Posted by: Reverendmariner, May 11, 2018, 2:19pm; Reply: 13
Not Jolley/Rodger, please, we don't want any more sinking ships.....
Posted by: livosnose, May 11, 2018, 2:19pm; Reply: 14
good decision based purely on his recruitment of Sam Kelly
Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2018, 2:20pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from Gainsbro_Mariner

You never know, Jack Lester was his school mate and is currently out of work? Young and fresh faced like MJ, knows the club, has 3 years coaching experience in managing Forest U18’s and U23’s before his spell at Chesterfield ? Wouldn’t be completely implausible ?  ;)

Just because I went to school with Katie Price doesn't mean I'm gonna have 6 boob jobs.
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 11, 2018, 2:29pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from golfer

Just because I went to school with Katie Price doesn't mean I'm gonna have 6 boob jobs.

Don't be ridiculous.  You'd just look stupid with 6 boobs !!!!
Posted by: ginnywings, May 11, 2018, 2:29pm; Reply: 17
He was shoehorned into the job alongside Slade. Both appointments were wrong and for the wrong reasons. Can't say i'm shocked or bothered.
Posted by: MarinerGaz, May 11, 2018, 2:33pm; Reply: 18
I think Jolley said they were in different years at the same school in one of his interviews when he came here, he also said he had spoken to a few people for advice regarding the job but JL wasn't one of them, so I doubt they are that close in friendship or footballing terms. I wonder if another of the Dyche brood may enter the scene?
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 11, 2018, 2:33pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from Cloudy
Modern ways v The Dinasaur!

Thats how i saw it.

Wilkinson was always a Fenty appointment as he thought it would appease the fans

And I for one was appeased.  After such defencive pairings for management I thought a striker would push for that side of things.  Clearly I was wrong.  Just like Neil Woods, another boyhood hero on the pitch doesn't quite match expectations off it.  

Good Luck to PW, but I have to say I think it's the right move.  
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 11, 2018, 2:34pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from AdamHaddock
Surely the management team will be Jolley - Rodger?

Yeah but only if Graham Rodgers was prepared to drop the s from his name.
Posted by: Grimal, May 11, 2018, 2:40pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from HackneyHaddock

His name is Graham Rodger . not Rodgers

Posted by: totalidiot, May 11, 2018, 2:41pm; Reply: 22

Irrelevant being as graham rodger has no s in his name
Posted by: Brazilnut, May 11, 2018, 2:43pm; Reply: 23
Ben Davies to step up ?????? then of course maybe sign as emergency cover
Posted by: Cloudy, May 11, 2018, 2:43pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Grimal

His name is Graham Rodger . not Rodgers

Think that one went well over your head old chap
Posted by: diehardmariner, May 11, 2018, 3:06pm; Reply: 25
Collins, Davies, Lester...seen someone suggesting Disley on Twitter.

Let's just wrap this up as quickly as we can, eh?

Wayne Burnett
Chris Hargreaves
Paul Harsley
Craig Shakespeare
John McDermott
Paul Groves

Feel free to add any ex-Town player because heaven forbid Michael Jolley thinks there's a supply of able coaches without a GTFC connection. :)
Posted by: grimps, May 11, 2018, 3:09pm; Reply: 26
Wilko had his chance to shine when he was caretaker and it never happned , I feel sorry for him but thats the way it goes.
Hopefully he'll get another job soon enough
Posted by: hheh2, May 11, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 27
Good news wonder who the assistant will be
Posted by: fiveallive, May 11, 2018, 3:18pm; Reply: 28
Paul Wilkinson has some low opinions on here, I personally think he's a good coach he has a excellent reputation at the clubs he has been at the issue with Wilkinson is he never worked together with Slade which was an issue for me.

The Kelly signing hasn't worked out and with the release of Killip the writing was on the wall for Wilkinson and with the fact Jolley hasn't played Jayesimi or Kelly proves Jolley not keen on them signings. We will just have to see on Hooper next season to see if he will fit in with new signings.

I think at least Wilkinson was trying to bring players in Slade was after Maynard, Walker etc players who would never sign for us.

But Wilko must of had a say in Jamey Osborne and Clements leaving along with Slade.

At least Jolley can bring his own assistant in.
Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2018, 3:25pm; Reply: 29
Several players have gone in to see M.J..  Paul Dixon and Sam Kelly have stood by Wilko and said  "If he goes we go"   M.J.  "Close the door on the way out, understand Shrewsbury sign ex G.T.F.C. players."
Posted by: Civvy at last, May 11, 2018, 3:26pm; Reply: 30
[/b]
Quoted from diehardmariner

Wayne Burnett
Chris Hargreaves
Paul Harsley
Craig Shakespeare
John McDermott
Paul Groves

Feel free to add any ex-Town[b] player
because heaven forbid Michael Jolley thinks there's a supply of able coaches without a GTFC connection. :)

So you are quite clearly ruling out Alan Buckley or Laurie Mac as No 2 then.  Outrageous ;)
Posted by: HertsGTFC, May 11, 2018, 3:32pm; Reply: 31
No surprise I think, I would imagine we'll see his replacement early next week as MJ would have had his replacement lined up well before today.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 11, 2018, 4:03pm; Reply: 32
I don't see it as good news, just inevitable news. Wilkie was on a hiding to nothing from the start. My suspicion is that he was JF's appointment with the hope that his popularity would help smooth the way for Slade. It never worked. As permanent manager he would have been another Neil Woods.

Paul is a good coach though, well thought of at all his clubs and by a lot of the young players he has worked with. But he is so damaged by association with the last regime that it's best he goes and gets a new start. Really he should have gone when Slade went, the fact that he didn't and was actively interested in the job for himself maybe showed they were not all that close.

I don't think it matters who Jolley brings in. My choice would be Sean Dytche. ;)
Posted by: Les Brechin, May 11, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 33

I don't think it matters who Jolley brings in. My choice would be Sean Dytche. ;)

If he's as good as Sean Dyche at Burnley he should have it down to a T.  ;)

Posted by: Ipswin, May 11, 2018, 4:09pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from golfer
Several players have gone in to see M.J..  Paul Dixon and Sam Kelly have stood by Wilko and said  "If he goes we go"   M.J.  "Close the door on the way out, understand Shrewsbury sign ex G.T.F.C. players."

You missed out the words 'half decent' before the 'ex GTFC players'

Posted by: forza ivano, May 11, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 35
positivity = jolley
negativity = wilkinson

not surprised and not really sad that he's gone. am sure jolley will have an interesting, enthusuastic, positive and innovative person lined up as his replacement. the revolution continues - vive la revolution! :)
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 11, 2018, 4:42pm; Reply: 36
Is Garry Birtles still doing radio in the Nottingham area?  He probably sees a lot of football at our level and wouldn't have to commute far (either car, either M1 or A52/A46/A16 or he could take the train, changing at Newark or Lincoln) and he played for us back in the day.  Champions League winner.  An experienced head.
Posted by: 1542 (Guest), May 11, 2018, 5:03pm; Reply: 37
First thing that I thought was, he’ll offer it to Danny Collins.....

Don’t think that would be a bad shout at all.
Posted by: Cloudy, May 11, 2018, 5:06pm; Reply: 38
Lots stating that Wilko has a good reputation as a coach. Not sure that was true. Certainly not at Wednesday or Norwich where I am told his methods were described as "archaic"

We move on and see what the future holds
Posted by: ginnywings, May 11, 2018, 5:06pm; Reply: 39
Perhaps we won't have an assistant and have more budget for players.  ::)

Wonder how much it has cost to pay off Slade and Wilko?
Posted by: rancido, May 11, 2018, 5:12pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from Civvy at last

Don't be ridiculous.  You'd just look stupid with 6 boobs !!!!

Not really but he would look six times the mammary he is.
Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 41
Is Garry Birtles still doing radio in the Nottingham area?  He probably sees a lot of football at our level and wouldn't have to commute far (either car, either M1 or A52/A46/A16 or he could take the train, changing at Newark or Lincoln) and he played for us back in the day.  Champions League winner.  An experienced head.

Do you by any chance work for "The AA Route Planner"
Posted by: forza ivano, May 11, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 42

ollins, Davies, Lester...seen someone suggesting Disley on Twitter.

Wayne Burnett
Chris Hargreaves
Paul Harsley
Craig Shakespeare
John McDermott
Paul Groves

Feel free to add any ex-Town[b] player because heaven forbid Michael Jolley thinks there's a supply of able coaches without a GTFC connection.

you obviously never read this post.

i'd love to know why on earth you think some middle aged local radio pundit who hasn't managed or coached for about 20 years would be the ideal choice for the young, energetic and innovative michael jolley?
Posted by: GrimRob, May 11, 2018, 5:44pm; Reply: 43
Surprised nobody has mentioned Curtis Woodhouse  :)
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 11, 2018, 5:46pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from Cloudy
Lots stating that Wilko has a good reputation as a coach. Not sure that was true. Certainly not at Wednesday or Norwich where I am told his methods were described as "archaic"

We move on and see what the future holds

Not sure what archaic means in terms of coaching kids. You have to have the badges and as far as I can see these days most youth coaching is lookalike stuff that comes from that. Unless of course you have the facilities of Man City. Can't comment on Wednesday but archaic is not what I heard from Norwich.

Posted by: GrimRob, May 11, 2018, 5:49pm; Reply: 45
Posted by: HackneyHaddock, May 11, 2018, 5:53pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from forza ivano

you obviously never read this post.

i'd love to know why on earth you think some middle aged local radio pundit who hasn't managed or coached for about 20 years would be the ideal choice for the young, energetic and innovative michael jolley?

Or maybe I did read the post and added another tongue-in-cheek suggestion to lampoon this message board's penchant for chucking up suggestions of old players for pretty much every new role that pops up at the football club!

Posted by: blundellpork, May 11, 2018, 6:10pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from golfer

Do you by any chance work for "The AA Route Planner"

No mention of bus routes so can’t be Tim Mickleburgh
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 11, 2018, 6:14pm; Reply: 48

Sad to see Wilko go but it had to be done.....let's just fondly remember the footballer.
Posted by: Belfast Town, May 11, 2018, 6:18pm; Reply: 49
Craig Disley
Posted by: Grantley, May 11, 2018, 6:19pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from GrimRob

You lose trust, Rob!
Posted by: 140348 (Guest), May 11, 2018, 6:21pm; Reply: 51
Perhaps MJ should choose someone from the fishy as they seem to know everything. Leave MJ  alone to choose . imo
;). In Jolley I trust. :)
Posted by: davmariner, May 11, 2018, 6:36pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from GrimRob

Nah he’ll be first team coach ;)
Posted by: fleabag1970, May 11, 2018, 6:45pm; Reply: 53
MJ was a city banker ffs   he isn't gonna pick someone to keep the fans happy .
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 11, 2018, 6:59pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from 140348
Perhaps MJ should choose someone from the fishy as they seem to know everything. Leave MJ  alone to choose . imo
;). In Jolley I trust. :)

I've heard Bentley will be announced as assistant tomorrow   :X

Posted by: Stew0_0, May 11, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 55
One thing i can guarantee is that it will be name no-one expected.
He aint going for any of the names mentioned on here and he certainly wont name anything about Craig Disley. Think it will be another young up and coming coach with fresh ideas and methods if at all. He may decide he and warrington/Collins can cover the training between them.

Either way its added to the excitement for me. Potentially a new 1st 11 and assistant manager for the next season
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, May 11, 2018, 7:33pm; Reply: 56
The only thing I hope is that he doesn't pair with him who shall not be named, Wilko was great for town as a player and I wish him all the luck in the world for  the future, please please stay from the man who is responsible for the near downfall of our great club and plough a furrow where you can take some of MJs ethos and energy into you're own plans with a team that deserve you...
Posted by: forza ivano, May 11, 2018, 7:49pm; Reply: 57

Or maybe I did read the post and added another tongue-in-cheek suggestion to lampoon this message board's penchant for chucking up suggestions of old players for pretty much every new role that pops up at the football club!

Hmmmm maybe  you did.I always find the  ;) emoji is quite useful if you really did mean to be ironic
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, May 11, 2018, 7:57pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Reverendmariner
Not Jolley/Rodger, please, we don't want any more sinking ships.....

Phew! Thank feck it won't be the other way round Rodger/Jolley would be rather unfortunate. ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: Tommy, May 11, 2018, 8:02pm; Reply: 59
I remember Wilko's first stint on the coaching staff here under Lawrence (and Groves for a little bit) where he was a First Team Coach I think, alongside the Manager AND Assistant.

I remember him being very well thought of and doing good work with the bunch of u21s we brought in en masse at one point (Chris Thompson, Hockless, Ford, Bolder etc etc) .

Also seem to remember him being widely credited with having a great influence on the quick development of Michael Boulding.

And then Lennie took him to Cardiff. In the years since, there's been many times were people have called for us to get him back as a Coach. (Granted, I realise there's a section of people that only ever want ex players in jobs here, but still).

So it's funny now to see the change in people's opinions on him.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 11, 2018, 8:16pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from GrimRob

Look what happened to the last media type who suggested Woodhouse might be in for a coaching job at GTFC.

Just don't accept any invitations to chair any meetings at BP Rob.  :-/
Posted by: jamesgtfc, May 11, 2018, 8:16pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from Tommy
I remember Wilko's first stint on the coaching staff here under Lawrence (and Groves for a little bit) where he was a First Team Coach I think, alongside the Manager AND Assistant.

I remember him being very well thought of and doing good work with the bunch of u21s we brought in en masse at one point (Chris Thompson, Hockless, Ford, Bolder etc etc) .

Also seem to remember him being widely credited with having a great influence on the quick development of Michael Boulding.

And then Lennie took him to Cardiff. In the years since, there's been many times were people have called for us to get him back as a Coach. (Granted, I realise there's a section of people that only ever want ex players in jobs here, but still).

Football, like other areas of life, moves on quickly. Look at the success Big Sam achieved embracing sports science. Now, players at just about every professional club wear those bras. Granted, you still have to interpret the data but it is more about doing it to keep pace now rather than gaining an advantage.

What was new and innovative in 2001 is likely to be archaic in 2018. If you don't move with the times, you often come to the end of the road.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, May 11, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from fleabag1970
MJ was a city banker ffs   he isn't gonna pick someone to keep the fans happy .

Hope he realises that if he felicitations up here, the taxpayer isn't going to bail him out  ;D
Posted by: promotion plaice, May 11, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Mrs Doyle

Phew! Thank feck it won't be the other way round Rodger/Jolley would be rather unfortunate. ;D ;D ;D

Stop   ;D ;D ;D

Posted by: Tommy, May 11, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Football, like other areas of life, moves on quickly. Look at the success Big Sam achieved embracing sports science. Now, players at just about every professional club wear those bras. Granted, you still have to interpret the data but it is more about doing it to keep pace now rather than gaining an advantage.

What was new and innovative in 2001 is likely to be archaic in 2018. If you don't move with the times, you often come to the end of the road.

That's fair enough and I get that the game's moved on, massively.

Just think there's a lot of assumptions about him made based on Slade's management that's all. And none of us have probably actually seen him Coach (OK maybe some will have done).
Posted by: golfer, May 11, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 65
Quoted from davmariner

Nah he’ll be first team coach ;)

Skania K14 ?
Posted by: RexFannies, May 11, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 66

Wayne Burnett
Chris Hargreaves
Paul Harsley
Craig Shakespeare
John McDermott
Paul Groves
Feel free to add any ex-Town player because heaven forbid Michael Jolley thinks there's a supply of able coaches without a GTFC connection. :)

Did we not have a player called Marc Goodfellow a few years back?...that would work

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, May 11, 2018, 10:33pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Tommy

Yes Tommy. I find the criticism hard to understand as well unless it is just that people don’t remember him from before. He is tarred with the Slade brush and that seems unfair. He wasn’t responsible for the results. It is like blaming Steve Bould for Wenger failing to win the league. An assistant is just that - assisting. Not a joint manager like Scott & Hurst. I remember Buckley actually saying as much about Arthur Mann’s job when he first came to BP. Only one man is in charge.

Jolley is right though to want his own assistant and I don’t blame him in the least for making a change, all part of showing that this is a new regime.

Posted by: arryarryarry, May 11, 2018, 10:43pm; Reply: 68

Wayne Burnett
Chris Hargreaves
Paul Harsley
Craig Shakespeare
John McDermott
Paul Groves

Is Craig Disley already on the coaching staff?.

A little bird told me he saw CD looking after one of the academy teams in a match a couple of weeks ago and  he was wearing a Town track suit.
Posted by: petethemariner, May 11, 2018, 10:49pm; Reply: 69
RRFC You are right that the manager will usually  make the final decisions, but a good assistant will/should offer astute
thoughtful opinions to the Manager for consideration, perhaps PW did, who knows, but it certainly didn't look like it as our forward movement (something he should surely have improved, as a forward who played at a high level) was appalling.,
Clearly MJ doesn't particularly rate him, so perhaps that tells a story, naturally its sad to see someone lose their job, but a good decision for the future of GTFC IMO.
Posted by: oochiad, May 11, 2018, 10:56pm; Reply: 70
When Wilkinson had his chance as caretaker he didn’t go for it. I think that speaks volumes.......
Posted by: Tommy, May 11, 2018, 11:55pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from oochiad
When Wilkinson had his chance as caretaker he didn’t go for it. I think that speaks volumes.......

Curious what you'd mean by "go for it"?

He didn't win in his 3 games in charge but then MJ didn't win in his first 5 either don't forget.

He did mix things up I thought and had a go. First game he changed shape and made some changes.
Second game he gave Clifton his full league debut, changed formation again and changed the front 2.

I thought in terms of team selection at least he did try and change it up.

Posted by: forza ivano, May 12, 2018, 12:45am; Reply: 72
Andy farrell has to be a likely candidate.worked for mj at burnle y and still in the same position 3 years on. Time to take a step up maybe?
Posted by: wigworld, May 12, 2018, 7:58am; Reply: 73
Quoted from davmariner

Nah he’ll be drive first team coach ;)

We don't really have any idea about the dynamics of the Slade/Wilko working relationship (some have suggested he was just sidelined with the reserves and had no input with Slade's 'masterplan').
The announcement seemed very cagey to me, so maybe a bust-up between MJ and PW behind the scenes?

Posted by: TheRealJohnLewis, May 12, 2018, 8:05am; Reply: 74
Quoted from arryarryarry

Is Craig Disley already on the coaching staff?.

A little bird told me he saw CD looking after one of the academy teams in a match a couple of weeks ago and  he was wearing a Town track suit.

Yes, according to Dizza's twitter account, he is GTFC's U15 coach.

https://twitter.com/Dizza20

Posted by: psgmariner, May 12, 2018, 8:11am; Reply: 75
Never knew that. When did he start?

Presumably still lives in market rasen.
Posted by: oldun, May 12, 2018, 10:40am; Reply: 76
Never thought Wilko and Jolly had much in common, so not surprised. It is fairly normal for managers to bring in their own assistants. Please no more talk of ex-players. The club needs fresh blood and I will be happy for MJ to get on with the rebuilding.
Posted by: rancido, May 12, 2018, 2:43pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from oldun
Never thought Wilko and Jolly had much in common, so not surprised. It is fairly normal for managers to bring in their own assistants. Please no more talk of ex-players. The club needs fresh blood and I will be happy for MJ to get on with the rebuilding.

I agree but you know some of the posters on here have an obsession with ex players.
Posted by: oldun, May 13, 2018, 10:18am; Reply: 78
Quoted from rancido

I agree but you know some of the posters on here have an obsession with ex players.

Yes, that's why I said it.
Print page generated: May 21, 2024, 11:32pm