Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: GrimRob, April 10, 2018, 3:08pm
Most countries these days use Head to Head to decide teams on level points, only using Goal Difference as a secondary factor in case of a tie. We have done the double over Chesterfield (and potentially Barnet too) yet could get relegated with an inferior goal difference. Do you think England should move into line with the rest of the world? Regardless of our situation this season it does seem a fairer system.
Posted by: pizzzza, April 10, 2018, 3:19pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from GrimRob
Regardless of our situation this season it does seem a fairer system.

I disagree, a league is played over 46 games and goal difference is a better and fairer indicator of performance over the entire season.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, April 10, 2018, 3:27pm; Reply: 2
Quoted from GrimRob
Most countries these days use Head to Head to decide teams on level points, only using Goal DIfference as a secondary factor in case of a tie. We have done the double over Chesterfield (and potentially Barnet too) yet could get relegated with an inferior goak difference. Do you think England should move into line with the rest of the world? Regardless of our situation this season it does seem a fairer system.

No, the rest of the world should move into line with us!
Posted by: crusty ole pie, April 10, 2018, 3:42pm; Reply: 3
Goal difference all day long easy to check up
Posted by: rancido, April 10, 2018, 4:00pm; Reply: 4
Quoted from pizzzza

I disagree, a league is played over 46 games and goal difference is a better and fairer indicator of performance over the entire season.

I agree , it's a much fairer system. It's also a lot better than the previous system which was " goal average " and I seem to recall we were once relegated because we had an inferior "goal average" of 0.008 of a goal !
Posted by: Civvy at last, April 10, 2018, 4:18pm; Reply: 5

No, the rest of the world should move into line with us!

I'm with you on this one LCL.  After all, we invented the bloody game.

Oh yeah, and we won the world cup in 66  ;D
Posted by: sonofmadeleymariner, April 10, 2018, 5:41pm; Reply: 6
Goal difference, if it ain't broke don't fix it, like with penos go back to taking one after another none of this I take two you take two bull crap
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 10, 2018, 6:03pm; Reply: 7
GD is fairer in that it represents a larger spread of games.
Posted by: moosey_club, April 10, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 8
Can i answer on the deciding day of our season just in case it could go either way   :o

but joking aside it has to be goal difference

Posted by: FishOutOfWater, April 11, 2018, 1:39pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from rancido

I agree , it's a much fairer system. It's also a lot better than the previous system which was " goal average " and I seem to recall we were once relegated because we had an inferior "goal average" of 0.008 of a goal !

Yeah... last day of the 1967-8 season when we beat Swindon 3-2 ( and Mansfield I think it was, escaped the drop from Division 3 to Division 4 )
Posted by: 137 (Guest), April 11, 2018, 4:27pm; Reply: 10
Quite surprised that Head-to Head receives no takers...but football has bigger issues to worry about (not bothered either way, myself).

SO

Where teams finish level on points the superior team will be:
1) The team with the fewer number of cases of players being sanctioned for diving/simulation (on-field or retrospective),
                        if level
2)The team with the smaller foul-count throughout the season (R=2,Y=1),
                       if level
3) GD or H2H....as I said, I'm not bothered on that one.

The idea is the 'cleaner' team gets it.
Posted by: Gaffer58, April 11, 2018, 4:42pm; Reply: 11
It's just took me 30 minutes to work out what H2H stands for, thought it was some element from the periodic table, so just for me keep it at goal difference, I can work that one out( obviously using a slide rule).
Posted by: 137 (Guest), April 12, 2018, 11:18pm; Reply: 12
bump
Posted by: mimma, April 13, 2018, 12:03am; Reply: 13
One problem with H2H is when three or four teams finish level on points. It gets messy then.
Posted by: conscorner, April 13, 2018, 7:05am; Reply: 14
Perhaps we could argue that because Town have beaten the current league leaders away from home that we should be promoted with them. ☺

Stick with GD in my opinion
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, April 13, 2018, 11:11am; Reply: 15
Who are the league leaders ? I haven’t looked at that end of the table all season.
Posted by: GrimRob, April 13, 2018, 11:20am; Reply: 16
It's interesting how every league has its own rules. As far as I can discern the primary rule is as follows in the main competitions. Most of the lower leagues just follow suit from their top division.

Champions/Europa League (H2H)
World Cup/Euros (H2H)
Serie A (H2H)
Ligue 1 (GD)
Bundesliga (GD)
La Liga (H2H)
Premier League (GD)

Generally, the smaller nations with less established leagues use H2H.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, April 13, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from GrimRob
It's interesting how every league has its own rules. As far as I can discern the primary rule is as follows in the main competitions. Most of the lower leagues just follow suit from their top division.

Champions/Europa League (H2H)
World Cup/Euros (H2H)
Serie A (H2H)
Ligue 1 (GD)
Bundesliga (GD)
La Liga (H2H)
Premier League (GD)

Generally, the smaller nations with less established leagues use H2H.

So you're basically saying the crapper countries use head-to-head.  ;)
Print page generated: May 17, 2024, 4:06pm