Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 31, 2018, 7:54am
I've not seen much mentioned about him since his arrival but in my opinions deserves a thread of his own as I think he's been superb, especially yesterday.

Perhaps because he seems to be the anti-Paul Dixon I don't know but he's been a solid performer in the two games I've seen. Hes full-blooded, got good energy, decent touch, control and pass, can carry the ball forward well and importantly, can defend well.

I'd be more than happy to see his retain the left-back berth next season, regardless of which league we're in.

All the more annoying that we had him on trial in the summer and let him go!
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 31, 2018, 7:57am; Reply: 1
Sorry to burst your bubble or come across negative but we must and will have to do better in the summer , not overly impressed but saying that he is playing with some professional con artists.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, March 31, 2018, 7:59am; Reply: 2
It's all about opinion Johnny and I respect yours as much as the next guy. Just think he's been one of the stand out performers since MJ took over. To be successful you need players who are going to out their body on the line, Andrew Fox does that for me.
Posted by: TAGG, March 31, 2018, 8:00am; Reply: 3
Done nothing wrong since he came and yesterday was his best.
Made two or three strong runs and put some good crosses in which as usual were not met by any Town forward.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, March 31, 2018, 8:04am; Reply: 4
He's better than Dixon in fact he's much better so I'd probably keep him if possible
Posted by: golfer, March 31, 2018, 8:17am; Reply: 5
I wonder why we didn't sign him in the summer-could it be that he was too good for Slade and Wilko's promotion [demolition] squad. We wouldn't go far wrong in signing all Slade's rejects. His style of play reminds me very much of young Townsend.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 31, 2018, 8:18am; Reply: 6
I think he’s decent and considering he hasn’t been playing regularly he’s done a decent job, seems to do back himself as well which is good to see.
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 31, 2018, 8:58am; Reply: 7
It's easy to forget he's surely not at his best yet, having joined the majority of the way through the season.
Posted by: mariner91, March 31, 2018, 9:08am; Reply: 8
Exactly, the context is everything. He's joined a club in March, having not played for four months and he's been thrust into a high pressure situation from the off. Give him a pre-season to get properly match fit and get to know his team mates a bit better and he's more than decent enough for L2.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, March 31, 2018, 9:15am; Reply: 9
Quoted from mariner91
Exactly, the context is everything. He's joined a club in March, having not played for four months and he's been thrust into a high pressure situation from the off. Give him a pre-season to get properly match fit and get to know his team mates a bit better and he's more than decent enough for L2.

Yeah I’m sure some half decent league 2 team will pick him up whilst we’re scrambling around in the first week of the season trying to find another journey man for a non league tilt.
Posted by: 11MARINER11, March 31, 2018, 9:19am; Reply: 10
He will improve every game till end of season , one for next season , with a bit of luck he may stay loyal to Jolly
Posted by: BottesfordMariner, March 31, 2018, 9:58am; Reply: 11
When you think he hadn't played for quite a while. Joined a crap team, late in the season, in the midst of an horrific run of form. The pressure of a relegation fight. The negativity surrounding the club. etc etc

He has come in and done pretty well. And as has been said i dont think we have seen  the best of him yet. On his debut v Vale I thought he did ok considering he'd only been here a matter of days. Yesterday he was better. Got forward. Got into some decent positions. Defended pretty well. Got stuck in. Kept it simple.

If we had more with the attitude of Fox, Mills, Summerfield, Davies we likely wouldn't be in this mess. Maybe not top of the league but not staring into the abyss of non league football (again).

With the budget Jolley is likely to have to work with next season Fox could be a decent signing.
Posted by: oldun, March 31, 2018, 11:01am; Reply: 12
nice to see he got mom, but I think Summers and Collins were close
Posted by: Perkins, March 31, 2018, 11:14am; Reply: 13
That great run down the wing and the superb cross in the first half was enough to give him mom in my opinion. Pity the lack of effort from the  useless buffoons in the box couldn't match it.
Posted by: oochiad, March 31, 2018, 11:21am; Reply: 14
It’s good sign that Jolley can pick a good player unlike the last idiot.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, March 31, 2018, 11:25am; Reply: 15
At the Lincoln game he ran himself ragged to exhaustion I noticed, but now probably match fit he’ll be a cracking player and he showed that yesterday.
Posted by: grimsby pete, March 31, 2018, 11:48am; Reply: 16
Just goes to prove that Slade would not know a good player if he came up and kicked him up the bum,

Why did he not sign him when we had him on trial ?

Too tall ?

Too strong ?

Too young ?

Left footed, not right for a left back ?

Who knows ??????
Posted by: davmariner, March 31, 2018, 12:56pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just goes to prove that Slade would not know a good player if he came up and kicked him up the bum,

Why did he not sign him when we had him on trial ?

Too tall ?

Too strong ?

Too young ?

Left footed, not right for a left back ?

Who knows ??????

Not a 35 year has been (or never been) so naturally Slade wasn’t interested.
Posted by: denni266, March 31, 2018, 1:57pm; Reply: 18
More than happy with the lad,, more than steady and not afraid to bomb on . will do for me this and next season if we can keep him
Posted by: toontown, March 31, 2018, 2:20pm; Reply: 19
Definitely an improvement on Dixon: man of the match, and responsible for probably the best move of the match (that charge 3/4 of the way down the pitch) - can't imagine saying either of those things about Dixon.
Definitely worth keeping if we are non-league. Not 100% convinced if we stay up, maybe.
The fact that I can question whether our man of the match is actually good enough to sign for a football league season speaks volumes about how truly awful this squad is.
Posted by: jamesgtfc, March 31, 2018, 2:46pm; Reply: 20
I like Fox and yesterday I thought he was superb. Doesn't really have a lot of natural pace but makes up for it with endeavour as seen in that run down the wing. If we had 11 people pushing themselves like he does we would not be where we currently are.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, March 31, 2018, 10:42pm; Reply: 21
Looked pretty solid yesterday and the pick of the crop for the first half.

I think the comments about whether or not to keep him if we go down are way off beam. It's at least as much about whether he wants to stay with us.
Posted by: HertsGTFC, April 1, 2018, 10:06am; Reply: 22
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Looked pretty solid yesterday and the pick of the crop for the first half.

I think the comments about whether or not to keep him if we go down are way off beam. It's at least as much about whether he wants to stay with us.

Exactly, looks better than non league IMHO.
Print page generated: May 23, 2024, 3:30am