Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: Mariner93er, March 2, 2018, 6:47pm
It's as simple as that really. Despite a lot of criticism from me included, they've made an exciting appointment and have surely brought the fans together. The statement was also a very positive one, and if we stay up, we could be dragging ourselves in the right direction. Still a long way to go this seaaon, but a step in the right direction.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, March 2, 2018, 7:15pm; Reply: 1
Quoted from Mariner93er
It's as simple as that really. Despite a lot of criticism from me included, they've made an exciting appointment and have surely brought the fans together. The statement was also a very positive one, and if we stay up, we could be dragging ourselves in the right direction. Still a long way to go this seaaon, but a step in the right direction.

Indeed. Credit to the board for looking beyond the obvious. Exciting as it seems, we need to stay up but the blame for relegation won't sit with him, it will still be down to Slade and the people who appointed him.
Posted by: Vance Warner, March 2, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 2
Agree but it frustrates me that we're making a big deal of appointing a young up and coming manager when we signed a journeyman manager with a history of failure less than a year ago. Hopefully we've learnt our lesson now but then again I thought that about signing journeymen players when we left the conference.

Let's hope this appointment works out for all concerned and well done on the board for what looks like a sensible choice. However, the board has a long way to go to redeem itself.
Posted by: fleabag1970, March 2, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 3
If this guy gets the right support we will fly. Next problem will be hanging on to him . Very intelligent guy with a vast knowledge of the game .... any fans that slag the board off for this appointment may as well just go support  clee town .....
Posted by: Cloudy, March 2, 2018, 7:24pm; Reply: 4
Credit from me too. Not a fan of John Fenty as some of you may have noticed(!) but I am happy with this appointment.

I fully accept that no manager comes with guarantees but feel happier with Jolley than I would have been with some of the journeymen mentioned. Good luck to him as it is going to be difficult to turn around this sinking ship but survive this season then there is a great opportunity to put his stamp on the team for next term
Posted by: headingly_mariner, March 2, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 5
Let's not get carried away. He's got a real job to do and it's a big gamble with our league status.
It's clear he wasn't first choice for the job. They haven't arrived at this decision through tireless and diligent searching. They've made a mess and they need him to dig us out of it. He can't bring any players in becuase the board sacked a manager directly after a window.

That said I'm pleased with the appointment however it was made. He's clearly a well thought of coach and he's going to need to be as tactically astute as people say he is. His tweet to the fans is a cracker.
Posted by: Grim up north, March 2, 2018, 7:39pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from headingly_mariner
Let's not get carried away. He's got a real job to do and it's a big gamble with our league status.
It's clear he wasn't first choice for the job. They haven't arrived at this decision through tireless and diligent searching. They've made a mess and they need him to dig us out of it. He can't bring any players in becuase the board sacked a manager directly after a window.

That said I'm pleased with the appointment however it was made. He's clearly a well thought of coach and he's going to need to be as tactically astute as people say he is. His tweet to the fans is a cracker.

I'm not sure he wasn't first choice as no candidate really stuck out who we would go for . The two other front runners both had recent failures on their record and I'm sure the board will have looked at this . Jolley was the only candidate that gave anyone excitement and although it will prove to be either a turning point or a disaster the initial signs are as positive we've seen in many a while. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards. Gwon Town.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, March 2, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from Grim up north

I'm not sure he wasn't first choice as no candidate really stuck out who we would go for . The two other front runners both had recent failures on their record and I'm sure the board will have looked at this . Jolley was the only candidate that gave anyone excitement and although it will prove to be either a turning point or a disaster the initial signs are as positive we've seen in many a while. Onwards and (hopefully) upwards. Gwon Town.

If Askey had given any sort of encouraging signs he would have been in charge last week. If Brown had given any sort of encouraging signs he would have been in charge the week before. Unless all that stuff about those two was a complete blind then clearly Jolley was not number one choice.

Nevertheless, neither was McMenemy. I don't mind what number he was as long as he gets us some points asap.
Posted by: Grimal, March 2, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 8
Happy with this appointment,now all we need to do is get 100% behind him and the team until end of this season and push on from there.
UTM.
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 2, 2018, 7:50pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Indeed. Credit to the board for looking beyond the obvious. Exciting as it seems, we need to stay up but the blame for relegation won't sit with him, it will still be down to Slade and the people who appointed him.

Bang. F#cking. On.

UTM. Stay up at all costs.
Posted by: Tommy, March 2, 2018, 7:53pm; Reply: 10
I'm very pleased with the appointment of Jolley.

But I'm delighted about how the Board's statement talks about wanting to build a Club philosophy like what Dave Roberts spoke about on Cod Almighty the other day, bringing youth through, and that the appointment of Jolley is with a view to linking it all together.
Posted by: heppy88, March 2, 2018, 7:59pm; Reply: 11
Us fans need to get back and do what Grimsby fans do best. Lets show Jolley the reason why Town fans have such a great reputation. Maybee we can have some fun this season after all!
Posted by: chipsandgravy, March 2, 2018, 8:04pm; Reply: 12
Happy with this and indeed well done to the board. I desperately wanted an appointment that went some way to unifying the club because let's face it it couldn't get worse. I had fallen out of love with the club on so many fronts.
This at least goes some way to indeed (and fingers crossed) starting a new era. He's got my support.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, March 2, 2018, 8:04pm; Reply: 13
I genuinely am tickled pink .

Credit to the club for not appointing the same old been sacked 20 times manager , excited .
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, March 2, 2018, 8:06pm; Reply: 14
How many home games left?
I make it 5.

Now marketing people, let's get a 'til the end' season ticket on sale at £60 (adult) to show him that we're all behind him.

JF et al..... very well done on the appointment.
Posted by: Tommy, March 2, 2018, 8:16pm; Reply: 15
Also, the board have been criticised for not carrying out due diligence in the past (Newell, Bignot).

So they appear to have ticked that box this time.

"We spoke extensively with those in the game who have worked with and come up against Michael. They all spoke about his obsession with understanding the psyche of his players, his opponents and responding in an agile way to effectively win football matches."
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), March 2, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 16
👏👏👏👏

Well done John Fenty
Posted by: GrimRob, March 2, 2018, 8:28pm; Reply: 17
They had the right idea in Bignot. They made a good choice in Hurst too, especially the decision to go it alone with him. I think they were tempted to give the job to Wilko, it would have been an easy option, but they've managed to get someone who has made a name for himself through doing the job not because he used to be good at kicking a ball. Slade was an aberration, as was Buckley the third time round. Always look forwards, never back.
Posted by: Spatchcock, March 2, 2018, 8:33pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I make it 5.

Now marketing people, let's get a 'til the end' season ticket on sale at £60 (adult) to show him that we're all behind him.

Nah. I'm sure Mr Fenty can push the boat out and do £50 (£10 each for those sh!t at maths) for the last 5 games.  ;)
Posted by: Cloudy, March 2, 2018, 9:57pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I make it 5.

Think with the right noises coming out of the club and the desperately needed lift the appointment seems to have given the fans it would be great if people paid full price on the basis that every penny would go into Mike Jolley war chest for the summer
Posted by: Heisenberg, March 2, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from heppy88
Us fans need to get back and do what Grimsby fans do best. Lets show Jolley the reason why Town fans have such a great reputation. Maybee we can have some fun this season after all!

Eh?! We have a terrible reputation!! Rightly deserved sometimes too. But, let’s not care what anyone thinks of us, let’s just win some games for a change and have something to cheer about.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, March 3, 2018, 2:31pm; Reply: 21
Call me cynical but credit to the board? Really?? Not from me, just yet!

While I am pleased with the appointment, because on paper Jolley does tick a lot of boxes, do the board deserve credit for finally getting around to trying to find a solution to problems that have arisen totally out of their own making and from their own ineptitude?

If he'd been appointed here say 6 weeks ago, I might be a bit more charitable towards the "powers that be" but don't let's forget, this is the board who arrogantly maintained throughout January that Slade would have us pushing up towards the top end of the table and failed to acknowledge the fans' concerns as we were clearly drifting blindly in to a relegation battle

Anyway after today we will find out if they have appointed the right man in Jolley..... I sincerely hope that he is going to be able to arrest the decline we're witnessing but if he can't then that won't be his fault. I wish him every success because I want Town to succeed - the thought of relegation is nigh on unbearable

The way this season ends though will be the result of the board's decisions over these past months....maybe if we stay up, then I will give them credit for saving our league status, but until then I'll reserve my judgement

UTM GTID
Print page generated: May 22, 2024, 4:26am